Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5

Moderator: lilfishi22

Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#981 » by Bernman » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:20 pm

Susan wrote:Not getting into the Ali stuff, he's clearly a sleezeball and it's never been in hiding but one of my old teammates is now a decently large manager in the MMA game and he said that Bellator is significantly easier to work with than the UFC.

That's probably true, except for Ali. Because Dana has been notorious for giving Ali's fighters special treatment. So I guess that's one reason why the UFC would be tougher to work w/ for the other managers. It's a zero-sum game and they lose out.

Plus, what came out in the anti-trust lawsuit was Bellator shares 40% of its revenue w/ fighters whereas for the UFC it's 19%. It's a much bigger pie but the fighters get half the pieces. In addition to often being financially less lucrative, that's disrespectful to the fighters for them to not be able to share in the success they mostly made. You have to concede to being heavily exploited.

Incidentally, comedian Theo Von was relatively new to the sport and pushes back on a lot of racism accusations in today's culture, but upon meeting Dana he said he just reminded him of a slave owner.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#982 » by Headliner » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:00 pm

That might be retirement for Ben.
Slo
Head Coach
And1: 8,532

Post#983 » by Slo » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:36 pm

Headliner wrote:That might be retirement for Ben.

Yup, i hope he got at least paid good because that legend got ruined real fast.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#984 » by Headliner » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:49 pm

Did he ever work out or train boxing? He looks worse than a TUF heavyweight out there it’s so damn sloppy.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#985 » by High 5 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:05 pm

I've seen some hype trains crash before, but Askren's was something special. At least he has a good sense of humor.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,134

Post#986 » by duppyy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:09 pm

Askren thought he could beat GSP 8-)

I like his personality but dude was way too overhyped. He’s essentially 0-3 in the UFC.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#987 » by Jasen777 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:17 pm

duppyy wrote:Askren thought he could beat GSP 8-)

He was never beating GSP. Bellator Askren was a legit top level fighter, but that also seems when he stopped trying to get better. I was worried about that when he signed with the UFC.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#988 » by Bernman » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:58 pm

I always said I didn't think he'd do well in the UFC, even before he was post-prime and post-retirement.

BFC was loaded w/ striking-centric fighters. And when he faced them they were still relatively green. Before their fight Koreshkov said he didn't train wrestling, his philosophy was to give up his back to stand up, and he kept falling for Askren's ploy to glove touch at the beginning of rounds after which he never got space. And Lima was tactically naive, too in love w/ his bjj which was his base at the time, plus he threw haymakers to give up the td. Both those fighters wreck him now that they are more seasoned.

When Askren faced a seasoned fighter w/ a wrestling background and some semblance of athleticism, in Hieron, he eeked out a decision. Askren didn't face Sapo in Bellator but after he was cut they met up in One and Sapo was kicking his ass before a foul ended the fight. Sapo didn't really have a wrestling background. He was just a solid all-arounder w/ some seasoning and strength.

The UFC's top 15 ww's are heavily better versions of those fighters. Not many fights he would likely win. The Lawler win was pretty fluky. He could have won today, but his bjj is not top-level and Maia's is. So he caught him in a bad spot.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#989 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:04 pm

Damn, those sweeps and reversals. In the last one, Ben just didn't get his hips down. That to me shouldn't even count as a takedown, or, should count as one for Maia.

But Ben was dominating the striking in round 2. He probably could have gotten a finish if he has just continued pressing for another round or two. Maia's feet weren't moving enough to evade. But Maia landed a couple hard straights and Ben pressed him to the fence for a TD.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#990 » by REDDzone » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:31 am

You can't escape that way against the best BJJ guy in MMA history. Maia is the last guy you want on your back. Ben has done that plenty before but the guys he has fought before weren't Demian Maia.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#991 » by Susan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:57 pm

My god, Nick Diaz has lost his mind. So **** sad.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#992 » by REDDzone » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:41 pm

Susan wrote:My god, Nick Diaz has lost his mind. So **** sad.

Listening now, Ariel starts by asking him how he is and he says good, then Ariel starts asking a question and Nick interrupts saying you know what actually not good and launches into this epic 15 minute rant that goes from Kimbo to Jens Pulver to Forrest Griffin to Conor McGregor to Stephan Bonner to Jorge Masvidal to his drug suspension due to marijuana. It's the most inane thing I've ever heard.

At one point he's talking about THC levels and says "I think that was the number, but I've never been good numbers....or small talk...or happy hour". :lol:
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#993 » by Headliner » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:35 am

I personally can’t stand the Diaz brothers and their fan base.
Slo
Head Coach
And1: 8,532

Post#994 » by Slo » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:27 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:My god, Nick Diaz has lost his mind. So **** sad.

Listening now, Ariel starts by asking him how he is and he says good, then Ariel starts asking a question and Nick interrupts saying you know what actually not good and launches into this epic 15 minute rant that goes from Kimbo to Jens Pulver to Forrest Griffin to Conor McGregor to Stephan Bonner to Jorge Masvidal to his drug suspension due to marijuana. It's the most inane thing I've ever heard.

At one point he's talking about THC levels and says "I think that was the number, but I've never been good numbers....or small talk...or happy hour". :lol:

They should print this out as a book because you can read it through every week and still have no clue how to connect the dots. :o
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#995 » by REDDzone » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:12 pm

The saddest part is Ariel said later that what they aired was the edited version containing the relevant parts or something. Yikes.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#996 » by REDDzone » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:03 pm

Thought this was cool:

Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#997 » by Jasen777 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:33 am

cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#998 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Dec 6, 2019 3:06 pm

Low-key, Alistair Overeem is one of the biggest douches in MMA.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#999 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Dec 8, 2019 6:26 pm

Trump head + Punisher silhouette + the American flag + Punishment Athletics logo on one t-shirt? What, are you too classy to add barbed wire and a Don't Tread On Me?

GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,759

Post#1000 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Mon Dec 9, 2019 12:06 am

I've no idea who that is.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts