Nate Diaz vs Dustin P - UFC 230

Moderator: lilfishi22

NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,794

Re: Nate Diaz vs Dustin P - UFC 230 

Post#101 » by NZB2323 » Sun Nov 4, 2018 4:02 am

I think MW might be my favorite division. It might have the most out of (speed + cardio + power + technique).
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#102 » by Bernman » Sun Nov 4, 2018 4:07 am

MW is one of the more entertaining divisions. But hard to match the cardio, technique, speed, and power combo of 155 and 145. I don't enjoy 170 fights as much as 185 on average though. Don't know what's missing for me. Maybe it's a tweener from all the aforementioned perspectives. You lose a significant amount in the speed/cardio/technique area without compensating for it power-wise.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#103 » by REDDzone » Sun Nov 4, 2018 4:10 am

cowboyronnie wrote:Parlay Weidman + Cormier. I give BB over DC better chance than Jacare over Weidman. Jacare's physique looking worse by the hour.

Your eye test has no validity. It just doesn't.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#104 » by REDDzone » Sun Nov 4, 2018 4:14 am

If we go by media scorecards, Jacare is 6-1-1 since USADA testing started (split decision losses to Romero/Gastelum, the former majority of media scored for Jacare while the latter was dead even, Whitaker legitimately smashed Jacare).
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#105 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Nov 4, 2018 4:16 am

Ben Saunders vs Jake Ellenberger, let's do this.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#106 » by Bernman » Sun Nov 4, 2018 4:35 am

Anti-climactic finish to an outstanding card. Not surprising though. Lewis has next to no grappling technique. Doesn't fight the hands, bend the knees get his leg back and sprawl, turns his back to get up against hip escaping and working an under or pushing off with the legs, and can't even really get or retain a defensive guard let alone have an offensive one. You see the difference between an actual legit good MMA'ist who has the power to deal w/ hw as well and the traditional hw who just happens to be better at those basics than we are accustomed. Maybe when Cormier retires he'll have a better shot against that next level.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#107 » by High 5 » Sun Nov 4, 2018 5:02 am

That had to be the most predictable HW fight ever.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,653

Post#108 » by TroyD92 » Sun Nov 4, 2018 5:07 am

Cormier is really just too skilled for Heavyweights. Also Weidman 1-4 in his last 5. Might be nearing the end for him.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#109 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Nov 4, 2018 5:27 am

High 5 wrote:That had to be the most predictable HW fight ever.

I can't believe that we had to watch that BS, instead of Stipe rematch.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#110 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Nov 4, 2018 6:54 am

My thought as well. I won't lie, there were a few times when Lewis was swinging and I was holding my breath. But ya I think everyone saw that coming. Which is a shame because Stipe was willing to fight but you know he is never going to get that rematch sadly.

Also way to kill the growing Star of Lewis. Should've gave him a couple easy fights like a JDS or Overeem and let him build his star up with more KOs and funny post fights. When he was doing that, have DC fight Stipe and Jones. Then let Lewis fight for the HW belt after DC retires. Lewis himself a month ago said he wasn't ready for a title shot.
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,291

Post#111 » by goodboy » Sun Nov 4, 2018 8:06 am

Duke4life831 wrote:

My thought as well. I won't lie, there were a few times when Lewis was swinging and I was holding my breath. But ya I think everyone saw that coming. Which is a shame because Stipe was willing to fight but you know he is never going to get that rematch sadly.

Also way to kill the growing Star of Lewis. Should've gave him a couple easy fights like a JDS or Overeem and let him build his star up with more KOs and funny post fights. When he was doing that, have DC fight Stipe and Jones. Then let Lewis fight for the HW belt after DC retires. Lewis himself a month ago said he wasn't ready for a title shot.

Lewis got pa-pa-paid though I'm sure. And judging by the fans/reactions, they still adore the guy as much or more. This shouldn't be a dent on his career. IIRC Lewis was about to retire prior some-fights ago due to his back. He also looked happier and better than before coming off a win in 229. His whole post-fight presser in 229 and leading up to this title fight was a big opportunity, he had to capitalize and make bank and more fans, which he did.
Bright
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#112 » by Susan » Sun Nov 4, 2018 1:08 pm

DC/Jones is still building. Not sure how they can not make this happen.

Also, watching the interview with Chael and Ariel, there's a very obvious rapport between those three. They can help build this sport together in a way that nobody can if DC ends up joining ESPN.
Susan
RealGM

Post#113 » by Susan » Sun Nov 4, 2018 1:18 pm

And man, Stylebender is a mega mega MEGASTAR.

He's going to really push this sport forward.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#114 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Nov 4, 2018 1:39 pm

What an aggressive mentality from Jacare. Lead body punches, pushing Weidman into fleeing mode. You could tell that was exhausting for Chris. He was having to push punches and hold some distance. Add the head movement that doesn't allow even a touch of the jab to make contact. Pressure is a beast.
Susan
RealGM

Post#115 » by Susan » Sun Nov 4, 2018 2:37 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:What an aggressive mentality from Jacare. Lead body punches, pushing Weidman into fleeing mode. You could tell that was exhausting for Chris. He was having to push punches and hold some distance. Add the head movement that doesn't allow even a touch of the jab to make contact. Pressure is a beast.

Who's a good boxer that uses forward pressure really well?
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#116 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Nov 4, 2018 7:56 pm

Susan wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:What an aggressive mentality from Jacare. Lead body punches, pushing Weidman into fleeing mode. You could tell that was exhausting for Chris. He was having to push punches and hold some distance. Add the head movement that doesn't allow even a touch of the jab to make contact. Pressure is a beast.

Who's a good boxer that uses forward pressure really well?

'Tis good question. You don't really see pro boxers get broken like that and forced to push punches. Duran and Chavez are two of the best pressure guys ever. Chavez against Rosario, Duran vs Leonard I.

But you don't quite see what you saw with Weidman. Boxers have energy systems built for aerobics, for one. They have a finesse to their punching too, honed by only ever practicing to do that one thing. Plus, distance isn't as much of a necessity. They can clinch without worrying about takedowns by a BJJ blackbelt or knees, dirty boxing. They also have 10oz gloves on and can just turtle shell w/out worrying about underhooks or double legs.

Probably the best example of someone getting broken and exhausted is Conor vs Floyd. His punches lost everything and he was back to day 1 Cardiobox by the middle rounds. He's having to muscle to keep Floyd off of him, he did not have the finesse or metabolic base to keep boxing.

I can recall being 100% broken by a dude in sparring who did not throw a single strike. Not one. He just kept closing the distance and forcing me (a skinny ****) to press my punches into his guard. I had to say no mas after one round.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#117 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Nov 4, 2018 7:56 pm

Dominick wasn't replaced by Felder, he's just saving his energy.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,086
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#118 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Nov 4, 2018 8:33 pm

I really think Adesanya or whatever is going to get smashed by the upper tier at 185. He looks like every guy that “styles” on guys with pure athleticism till he runs into the buzzsaw that is the top fighters.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#119 » by REDDzone » Tue Nov 6, 2018 3:59 pm

Bernman wrote:Anti-climactic finish to an outstanding card. Not surprising though. Lewis has next to no grappling technique. Doesn't fight the hands, bend the knees get his leg back and sprawl, turns his back to get up against hip escaping and working an under or pushing off with the legs, and can't even really get or retain a defensive guard let alone have an offensive one. You see the difference between an actual legit good MMA'ist who has the power to deal w/ hw as well and the traditional hw who just happens to be better at those basics than we are accustomed. Maybe when Cormier retires he'll have a better shot against that next level.

I legit LOLed when Lewis said DC going for single legs threw him off guard. WHAT DID YA EXPECT DUMMY? Maybe he was trolling.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#120 » by REDDzone » Tue Nov 6, 2018 4:02 pm

Susan wrote:DC/Jones is still building. Not sure how they can not make this happen.

Did you listen to DC's interview with Ariel yesterday? It was super interesting. Ariel said what you did, how can you not fight Jones, etc. DC definitively said he can retire without fighting Jones and Ariel said (paraphrase) "for the first time I can believe you, how is that?".

DC explained that when Jones popped for the second time he thought he would be suspended for years, and there was no way DC would still be fighting when he returned. So he said at that point he had to convince himself emotionally to let it go and come to terms with the fact that they would never fight again. So he did. So now, he has one fight left and it could be either of Jones/Brock/Stipe and sounds like he will be at peace with whichever of those three.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts