UFC 231

Moderator: lilfishi22

lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,793

Re: UFC 231 

Post#121 » by lobosloboslobos » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:55 am

Max's style is super entertaining while also seeming to be extremely lethal. He's so fast and deadly yet also kind of playful, just flowing in and out taking whatever's there with power but not forcing the issue. like a cobra or something. i'm just a casual fan but to me he looked much more dangerous than a lot of guys who put out a ton of rowdy fierceness. kind of reminds me of conor the way he is so in control just by the pace and flow of his footwork and upper body movement and then all of a sudden BAM.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#122 » by Bernman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:58 am

RaptorsFTL wrote:I don't see it. Max is so much better now, would be a risk for Connor.

Max beat Aldo twice and in emphatic fashion. He made Ortega look like an amateur. Of course Connor is still an excellent fighter, but the time off and he's not the same guy he was IMO along with a big jump for Max. He was what, 23 when they fought? He's a brand new fighter and I doubt Connor wants that now. It would be the nail in the coffin of walk the talk status.

I see someone like DP or Cerrone. I could be wrong, one thing with Connor is he doesn't really duck, he deserves a lot of praise there, but I think he needs a warm up before fighting big ticket killers.

You're speaking from your perspective, not his, which is really what matters. Of course he thinks he's going to win. I'm sure he thought he was going to beat Khabib too. If he didn't believe in himself he wouldn't have gotten to the level he's at. He fought one of the GOATs in boxing and a couple fights after winning the 145 lb crown he was a bloated 170 lber because he was thinking of taking 3 belts. Max is that same kind of crazy. And they'd both have monetary and legacy motives. So they'd be down.

Just a question if UFC would. That's a serious issue that they may not want to risk his star fading, so they might hold off on it, for one fight that is.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,459

Post#123 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:59 am

I think Max is going to get clipped sometime soon with that bravado and relaxed style. I don't think it's show or machismo for the sake of either, it has the very real the benefit of keeping him calm and confident, like he's playing. But there's a thin line between that and the vigilance needed to not get caught.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#124 » by Headliner » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:55 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:I think Max is going to get clipped sometime soon with that bravado and relaxed style. I don't think it's show or machismo for the sake of either, it has the very real the benefit of keeping him calm and confident, like he's playing. But there's a thin line between that and the vigilance needed to not get caught.

100%
If he came at Conor, for example, with that style, he'd be at a huge risk of being KO'd.

I think Max can beat a lot of guys, but Conor gets under every ones skin. You need to be a Spartan like Khabib not to become emotional. Max wears his heart on his sleeve, I could see him talking a lot and trying to showboat under the big lights and when you do that with a guy like Conor, you get Ko'd.

I also think Conor excels vs punches in bunches types. He's a superb counter striker, and when he doesn't have to worry about wrestling he's been next to unstoppable at the smaller weights.

Recency bias is probably in play here, but if Conor clowned Alveraz like he did in their fight on the same card as this Max fight, I think people would consider this potential fight a lot closer than they are.
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,800

Post#125 » by Steelo Green » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:18 pm

Bernman wrote:
RaptorsFTL wrote:I don't see it. Max is so much better now, would be a risk for Connor.

Max beat Aldo twice and in emphatic fashion. He made Ortega look like an amateur. Of course Connor is still an excellent fighter, but the time off and he's not the same guy he was IMO along with a big jump for Max. He was what, 23 when they fought? He's a brand new fighter and I doubt Connor wants that now. It would be the nail in the coffin of walk the talk status.

I see someone like DP or Cerrone. I could be wrong, one thing with Connor is he doesn't really duck, he deserves a lot of praise there, but I think he needs a warm up before fighting big ticket killers.

You're speaking from your perspective, not his, which is really what matters. Of course he thinks he's going to win. I'm sure he thought he was going to beat Khabib too. If he didn't believe in himself he wouldn't have gotten to the level he's at. He fought one of the GOATs in boxing and a couple fights after winning the 145 lb crown he was a bloated 170 lber because he was thinking of taking 3 belts. Max is that same kind of crazy. And they'd both have monetary and legacy motives. So they'd be down.

Just a question if UFC would. That's a serious issue that they may not want to risk his star fading, so they might hold off on it, for one fight that is.

I don't think Connor would because though he thinks he wins, it was be a huge risk to his brand to lose in consecutive fights to champions. He would obviously still be a draw, but not a champion as he is still perceived to be.

We're all speaking from our own perspective, but I don't see it being a title holder next. Like I said, I could be wrong, but he rushed into Khabib and it showed.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts