UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy

Moderator: CPT

User avatar
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 36,177
And1: 7,007
Joined: Jul 19, 2005
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy 

Post#121 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Mar 3, 2019 2:18 pm

REDDzone wrote:
High 5 wrote:Jones is such a sweetheart. I can't believe anyone dislikes this guy.


Nobody with a pulse dislikes Jones.


I’m not sure if you meant it, but this might be the best wordplay OF ALL TIME. :lol:
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
User avatar
Susan
RealGM
Posts: 16,099
And1: 3,125
Joined: Jan 25, 2005
Location: jackfinn & Scott May appreciation society
     

Re: UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy 

Post#122 » by Susan » Sun Mar 3, 2019 3:21 pm

Askren is stupid **** tough. What a **** will that man has. That's some Fedor/Randleman, Big Nog/Bob Sapp level ****.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,814
And1: 3,228
Joined: Nov 28, 2005
   

Re: UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy 

Post#123 » by Shaazzam » Sun Mar 3, 2019 4:15 pm

REDDzone wrote:Yea people will think I'm biased but I don't see a huge controversy with the Askren/Lawler fight. He went limp and by the way wasn't even attempting any defense anyway. Idk what Herb was supposed to do.

I thought he was out.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
User avatar
Bernman
RealGM
Posts: 22,618
And1: 3,791
Joined: Aug 05, 2004
Location: Into the Great White Nothing
     

Re: UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy 

Post#124 » by Bernman » Sun Mar 3, 2019 4:23 pm

Dana is proving Askren right in trying to set up the rematch already. There's nothing in it for Ben or the UFC if they want to sell him as a draw/contender. Otherwise they'd be moving forward with his career, controversy or not. They've done it before. The stoppage wound up to be the wrong call in hindsight, but without the benefit of that it was the correct one, and Lawler has himself partially to blame for not listening to instructions.
Empty Blatter
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,432
And1: 3,333
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy 

Post#125 » by REDDzone » Sun Mar 3, 2019 4:58 pm

Even if Lawler wasn't out or else woke right back up, was he exhibiting intelligent defense in your opinion?

Even Chiesa was arguing what his defense was in the Kevin Lee situation (he was relaxing his neck and doing something with his back, but he had some argument, however weak it was). I'd be curious to know what/if Robbie gave an argument as to what he was doing to intelligently defend.

I don't see what Herb was supposed to do after his arm went limp and he went x seconds without even attempting to escape or defend.

EDIT: Just watched the presser to get the answer to my own question. RL says he could tell Ben was squeezing hard so his strategy was to let him gas his arms out for awhile. He said he thought he could have slammed him again from that position.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,432
And1: 3,333
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy 

Post#126 » by REDDzone » Sun Mar 3, 2019 5:04 pm

REDDzone wrote:
TroyD92 wrote:I don’t think there’s anyway Jones loses, but Smith is going to come forward.


Yea. Worst case scenario is Smith goes out on his shield.


Image
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 35,762
And1: 1,599
Joined: Oct 31, 2001
 

Re: UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy 

Post#127 » by Headliner » Sun Mar 3, 2019 7:43 pm

If Askren was 26, sure run it back. But the guy is older and trying to get in fights. Don’t run it back.

I don’t really want that match up anyway. I want to see him face Till, Colby and Usman.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 35,762
And1: 1,599
Joined: Oct 31, 2001
 

Re: UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy 

Post#128 » by Headliner » Sun Mar 3, 2019 7:44 pm

Dana won’t give him any favours though. He’s going to force the rematch or offer him lower guys just to dick him
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 35,762
And1: 1,599
Joined: Oct 31, 2001
 

Re: UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy 

Post#129 » by Headliner » Sun Mar 3, 2019 7:46 pm

Woodly losing badly hopefully shook the idea loose from anyone’s minds that he was better than GSP
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 35,762
And1: 1,599
Joined: Oct 31, 2001
 

Re: UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy 

Post#130 » by Headliner » Sun Mar 3, 2019 7:52 pm

Diego apparently was bit by Gall in their match
Posted a video of it on his chest

Crazy
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,432
And1: 3,333
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy 

Post#131 » by REDDzone » Sun Mar 3, 2019 9:22 pm

If you guys thought Smith didn't have anything for Jones, just wanted to until you see Jones vs Corey Anderson lol.

This is why I said Jones needs DC more than vice versa. As bad as HW is, LHW is a dumpster fire.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,432
And1: 3,333
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy 

Post#132 » by REDDzone » Sun Mar 3, 2019 9:23 pm

Headliner wrote:Diego apparently was bit by Gall in their match
Posted a video of it on his chest

Crazy


Not a fan of Gall. Was happy to see Diego smash him tbh.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
Susan
RealGM
Posts: 16,099
And1: 3,125
Joined: Jan 25, 2005
Location: jackfinn & Scott May appreciation society
     

Re: UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy 

Post#133 » by Susan » Sun Mar 3, 2019 9:44 pm

REDDzone wrote:If you guys thought Smith didn't have anything for Jones, just wanted to until you see Jones vs Corey Anderson lol.

This is why I said Jones needs DC more than vice versa. As bad as HW is, LHW is a dumpster fire.


Reyes, Walker and Santos.

They're coming.

Jones got a little lucky that Rumble never got to him IMO. He's the first guy to be more physically gifted than Jones and that KO power he had. JEEEEEZUS.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,432
And1: 3,333
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy 

Post#134 » by REDDzone » Sun Mar 3, 2019 10:06 pm

Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:If you guys thought Smith didn't have anything for Jones, just wanted to until you see Jones vs Corey Anderson lol.

This is why I said Jones needs DC more than vice versa. As bad as HW is, LHW is a dumpster fire.


Reyes, Walker and Santos.

They're coming.

Jones got a little lucky that Rumble never got to him IMO. He's the first guy to be more physically gifted than Jones and that KO power he had. JEEEEEZUS.


I agree about Reyes but he's not there yet. Hopefully they don't rush that fight because that could be a good one in the future, Reyes literally only has 10 bouts.

IDK about Walker, just WTF. Total wildcard matchup.

Santos is great and I think he's probably the best option next. Let's not kid around that he has a much better chance than Smith did though. He's been stopped a bunch of times by meh fighters, including once like a year ago by David Branch.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
User avatar
Bernman
RealGM
Posts: 22,618
And1: 3,791
Joined: Aug 05, 2004
Location: Into the Great White Nothing
     

Re: UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy 

Post#135 » by Bernman » Sun Mar 3, 2019 10:26 pm

Santos has more fight-changing power, creativity, athleticism, and courage coming forward to close distance and change a fight on a dime than Smith. I give him an actual realistic chance, maybe 15-20%. Smith had maybe a 5% chance.

That should be next challenger. Jones didn't take much damage. Santos shouldn't have to wait, beating the guy who Jones just fought. Santos has gotten somewhat smarter over time. He adapted to fight patiently against Jan who wanted to counter, countered with a tight 1-2 to finish, and had been doing pretty technical things like start from power punching side to switch kick to the liver. I think he's also better in this division between relative weakness and not having to cut much. He still looks plenty large ala Rumble. That's a fair analog. Scary AF at 205 and was hardly a world beater at 170.

I think Walker has the best chance because Jones is used to being the one who discombobulates his opponents. Walker throws up so many feints and fakes, he could be the one doing the trapping. Has the speed to get outside the reach. Which is not much of a difference - 2.5 inches. Gus v. Jones was 5.5 inches. And Gus had a boxing style. Walker uses a repertoire. Don't know how tested his ground game is, but can't take down what you can't catch. Got to slow our roll on the title shot calls though. There the dislocated shoulder may be a blessing in disguise. Maybe Reyes-Anderson #1 contender next (if Reyes beats Oezdemir). Walker vs. Latifi.
Empty Blatter
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 21,839
And1: 9,913
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy 

Post#136 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Mar 4, 2019 12:00 am

REDDzone wrote:Even if Lawler wasn't out or else woke right back up, was he exhibiting intelligent defense in your opinion?

Even Chiesa was arguing what his defense was in the Kevin Lee situation (he was relaxing his neck and doing something with his back, but he had some argument, however weak it was). I'd be curious to know what/if Robbie gave an argument as to what he was doing to intelligently defend.

I don't see what Herb was supposed to do after his arm went limp and he went x seconds without even attempting to escape or defend.

EDIT: Just watched the presser to get the answer to my own question. RL says he could tell Ben was squeezing hard so his strategy was to let him gas his arms out for awhile. He said he thought he could have slammed him again from that position.

I thought Herb made the right decision based on what information he had at the time. Robbie didn't really try and defend the choke, his arm was limp and we've seen people get KO'd, and the next punch woke them up and they got up real quick to argue the stoppage. Going out doesn't mean you're completely out of it
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
User avatar
cowboyronnie
RealGM
Posts: 29,004
And1: 849
Joined: Feb 20, 2004

Re: UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy 

Post#137 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Mar 4, 2019 12:29 am

The Jones fight was so **** weird. I put it on to watch this afternoon with random relatives around. I didn't know exactly how to explain that this was fighting and not some weird man-intimacy. Just pinning Smith in a ball and leaning into him? WTF is going on?
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
User avatar
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 36,177
And1: 7,007
Joined: Jul 19, 2005
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy 

Post#138 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Mar 4, 2019 12:33 am

Bernman wrote:Santos has more fight-changing power, creativity, athleticism, and courage coming forward to close distance and change a fight on a dime than Smith. I give him an actual realistic chance, maybe 15-20%. Smith had maybe a 5% chance.

That should be next challenger. Jones didn't take much damage. Santos shouldn't have to wait, beating the guy who Jones just fought. Santos has gotten somewhat smarter over time. He adapted to fight patiently against Jan who wanted to counter, countered with a tight 1-2 to finish, and had been doing pretty technical things like start from power punching side to switch kick to the liver. I think he's also better in this division between relative weakness and not having to cut much. He still looks plenty large ala Rumble. That's a fair analog. Scary AF at 205 and was hardly a world beater at 170.

I think Walker has the best chance because Jones is used to being the one who discombobulates his opponents. Walker throws up so many feints and fakes, he could be the one doing the trapping. Has the speed to get outside the reach. Which is not much of a difference - 2.5 inches. Gus v. Jones was 5.5 inches. And Gus had a boxing style. Walker uses a repertoire. Don't know how tested his ground game is, but can't take down what you can't catch. Got to slow our roll on the title shot calls though. There the dislocated shoulder may be a blessing in disguise. Maybe Reyes-Anderson #1 contender next (if Reyes beats Oezdemir). Walker vs. Latifi.



Small note, Gus said his reach is a lot more than what the UFC has listed, and that they never asked him or measured it
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
User avatar
cowboyronnie
RealGM
Posts: 29,004
And1: 849
Joined: Feb 20, 2004

Re: UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy 

Post#139 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Mar 4, 2019 12:41 am

Bernman wrote:Dana is proving Askren right in trying to set up the rematch already. There's nothing in it for Ben or the UFC if they want to sell him as a draw/contender. Otherwise they'd be moving forward with his career, controversy or not. They've done it before. The stoppage wound up to be the wrong call in hindsight, but without the benefit of that it was the correct one, and Lawler has himself partially to blame for not listening to instructions.


But who is the better **** fighter? Lawler has proven that his listening & response skills are not elite of the elite, that's about it. Other than that, he slammed Ben stupid and was close to stopping him moments earlier.

This is a competition and last night resolved nothing. It was a fluke circumstance. Run it back. If that interferes with a dream ascent of Askren, so be it.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
User avatar
REDDzone
RealGM
Posts: 28,432
And1: 3,333
Joined: Oct 06, 2006
Location: The Hooker Control Service is Back in Business.
 

Re: UFC 235 (3/3): Jones vs. Some Guy 

Post#140 » by REDDzone » Mon Mar 4, 2019 12:45 am

cowboyronnie wrote:The Jones fight was so **** weird. I put it on to watch this afternoon with random relatives around. I didn't know exactly how to explain that this was fighting and not some weird man-intimacy. Just pinning Smith in a ball and leaning into him? WTF is going on?


:lol:
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts