Moderator: lilfishi22

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Re: UFC 239: Jones/Santos, Nunes/Holm, Gadelha/Markos 

Post#61 » by FNQ » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:51 am

Thiago came close and deserves a rematch

Askren just needs to go back to the bottom of MW. He’s Chael Sonnen 2.0 but I think Sonnen was a smarter fighter. Askren has work to do. Or maybe retire - that looked really bad

Nunes is a legit monster. She’s top 3 P4P
primecougar
Starter
And1: 928

Post#62 » by primecougar » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:56 am

Bernman wrote:I had Jones 3-2, and I hate him more than anybody. Santos 2 and 5, Jones the other 3. And Jones' rounds were more decisive.

But Santos hurting himself on his own kicks influenced the outcome. Struggled to close more, switch stances, leverage into his strikes, and flurry. So maybe he would have won otherwise and we can see that rematch before long.

jones lost round 1 for sure. 1, 2, and 5 were Santos.

what did jones do in this fight? barely landed anything significant.

his leg kicks were nothing compared with Santos was landing.

Boring fight but Jon didn't do ****
#1 pick wrote:MJ wasn't more skilled than Lebron. Quite the opposite to be honest.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,914

Post#63 » by Jasen777 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:57 am

High 5 wrote:No part of me felt like Jones won that fight.

MMA judging wise he probably won it.

Though I'm not impressed by his performance.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,581

Post#64 » by Bernman » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:01 am

primecougar wrote:jones lost round 1 for sure. 1, 2, and 5 were Santos.

what did jones do in this fight? barely landed anything significant.

his leg kicks were nothing compared with Santos was landing.

Boring fight but Jon didn't do ****

I didn't remember if I had Jones in the first or second, but remember thinking it would be harsh to judge him as losing both like he needed to. I think there's a tendency to reward the big underdog with any close round due to low expectations.

FWIW, MMA Decisions had it 14-4 in favor of Jones. 4 49-46's for Jones. 1 even had it 50-45. In fairness, I don't think there was a round that Santos 100% won, but there were 2 for Jones.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,085

Post#65 » by High 5 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:07 am

I also had 1, 2, and 5 for Santos. Just the fact that it was so close is embarrassing for Jones. Santos was on one leg and it still felt like Jones was almost always the one in more danger. He has one hell of a chin, though.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,436

Post#66 » by Susan » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:09 am

1 was more for Santos than 2 was.

Anybody know which leg Santos was throwing that calf kick with in the 1st. If it was with his right leg and that had to be abandoned in the last 4 rounds, Santos really could have pulled it off.

Or, Jones just turns it on and wrestles him to death.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,760

Post#67 » by spykelee » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:17 am

I had 1 and 5 for Santos. 2 was a toss up but I agree with the sentiment that jones didn't really do a whole lot to "win" that fight that's for sure.
benson13
Rookie
And1: 983

Post#68 » by benson13 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:20 am

Susan wrote:1 was more for Santos than 2 was.

Anybody know which leg Santos was throwing that calf kick with in the 1st. If it was with his right leg and that had to be abandoned in the last 4 rounds, Santos really could have pulled it off.

It was his left knee that lost stability. He was firing that leg into Jones' left thigh.

That was an unfortunate turn of events. I really wanted to see someone put Jon Jones out, but he's such a good fighter the next time he'll dominate Santos.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,436

Post#69 » by Susan » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:25 am

benson13 wrote:

It was his left knee that lost stability. He was firing that leg into Jones' left thigh.

That was an unfortunate turn of events. I really wanted to see someone put Jon Jones out, but he's such a good fighter the next time he'll dominate Santos.

He was still throwing his left leg in rounds 2-5 but the lower calf kicks he was throwing in round 1 was what hurt Jones. Not sure if it was his right leg that he was throwing in round 1.
benson13
Rookie
And1: 983

Post#70 » by benson13 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:27 am

Susan wrote:
benson13 wrote:

He was still throwing his left leg in rounds 2-5 but the lower calf kicks he was throwing in round 1 was what hurt Jones. Not sure if it was his right leg that he was throwing in round 1.

He was throwing the left leg. It was the one that buckled.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#71 » by REDDzone » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:44 am

Haha meanwhile, apparently Nate Diaz and Khabib and goons had to be seperated for fighting or almost fighting in the crowd.

Nate vs a gaggle of Dagestani goons. Wouldnt be too surprised if there were a bunch of Stockton goons pretty close by too but I didn't hear that.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#72 » by gigantes » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:10 am

I'm not sure we'll ever see another fighter so able to effectively nullify so many of Jones' strengths, specifically the distance fighting, in-fighting and the grappling. Even his wrestling was barely used, presumably because Jones didn't want to risk getting knocked out.

That said, and as a 'Jones-hater' in particular, I'm okay with Bones squeaking out the split. Despite his difficulties, he did own the volume and did command the ring. Obviously he lucked out with Santos' injury, but there's nothing anyone can do about that. I also disagree with the idea that he was passive. I think it's more correct to say that he was "generally cautious," and note that he also delivered a series of wicked shots that Santos narrowly avoided.

Definitely run this one back when Santos heals up.

I'm disappointed in Holm losing the fight like that. She was giving Nunes plenty to handle until that bizarre moment in which she just sort of balanced on leg and turned in to a statue. As quick & powerful as Amanda is, Holly should have known better. Maybe she or someone else will be able to explain what that was all about, later on.

As consistent and formidable of a performer as Holly is, she seems to have a knack for bungling fights away. That, or simply getting the short end of the stick. Otherwise, she gives the best fighters their toughest fights, and the only one I can remember really outclassing her was Shevchenko.

It's a shame, I guess. I don't know. But I wish her post-Rousey glow could have lasted a little longer and been less awkward.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,192

Post#73 » by duppyy » Sun Jul 7, 2019 7:29 am

Johnny Walker is my bet to dethrone Jones.
Jaivl
Head Coach
And1: 6,487

Post#74 » by Jaivl » Sun Jul 7, 2019 10:12 am

Jasen777 wrote:

MMA rules value damage (1-2-5 Santos). Judges being bad is another thing.
This place is a cesspool of mindless ineptitude, mental decrepitude, and intellectual lassitude. I refuse to be sucked any deeper into this whirlpool of groupthink sewage. My opinions have been expressed. I'm going to go take a shower.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#75 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jul 7, 2019 2:07 pm

Bernman wrote:I had Jones 3-2, and I hate him more than anybody. Santos 2 and 5, Jones the other 3. And Jones' rounds were more decisive.

But Santos hurting himself on his own kicks influenced the outcome. Struggled to close more, switch stances, leverage into his strikes, and flurry. So maybe he would have won otherwise and we can see that rematch before long.

Santos got the first. 3-2 Santos
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#76 » by REDDzone » Sun Jul 7, 2019 2:22 pm

Man idk. I was watching in a bar so I don't really presume to be able to judge super aptly. But I thought Santos edged the first two and have a hard time believing he didn't win at least one of the last 3.

Thought Jon probably won the fight "as a whole" since Santos rounds generally seemed closer,but thought live there was a good argument for Santos.

That said, told my buddy live that there was no way they wouldn't give it to Jon. I'm actually shocked it was split.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#77 » by REDDzone » Sun Jul 7, 2019 2:24 pm

But I think Jones really benefits from the Askren KO. All forums/social media are just talking about that and the aftermath. I don't think I've seen a single thread even calling the decision controversial or questioning it outside of realgm.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#78 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jul 7, 2019 2:27 pm

omg Ben Askren

Before this trade he was: financially stable (made millions in ONE, has wrestling schools, etc.), healthy, and a Sabonis- or Teófilo-like legend of the sport who could spend the rest of his life trolling Twitter about what would have been (the UFC, on record and as an organization, _ducked him_).

If only he had rested with that. What a mistake to join the UFC. That KO was life changing. And how can he ever take to Twitter again?

****, the gods are cruel.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#79 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jul 7, 2019 2:29 pm

REDDzone wrote:Man idk. I was watching in a bar so I don't really presume to be able to judge super aptly. But I thought Santos edged the first two and have a hard time believing he didn't win at least one of the last 3.

Thought Jon probably won the fight "as a whole" since Santos rounds generally seemed closer,but thought live there was a good argument for Santos.

That said, told my buddy live that there was no way they wouldn't give it to Jon. I'm actually shocked it was split.

It seemed clear-cut that he won the first two, Jones the second two, and then there was the 5th. The 5th, he edged, I think.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#80 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Jul 7, 2019 2:32 pm

Jaivl wrote:
Jasen777 wrote:

MMA rules value damage (1-2-5 Santos). Judges being bad is another thing.

They don't value damage above everything, to be clear. There is also ring generalship...which is the issue here. Because idiot judges are going to default that the guy moving forward is in control. Even though Jones ended up having to duck out and reel away from a lot of the instances where he had closed distance.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts