2019 MMA Comeback Fighter of the Year

Moderator: lilfishi22

Who was the 2019 MMA Comeback Fighter of the Year?

Urijah Faber (Retirement)
No votes
Daniel Straus (Injury)
No votes
Ben Askren (over Lawler at UFC 235)
20%
Jairzinho Rozenstruik (over Overeem at UFC on ESPN 7)
40%
Henry Cejudo (over Moraes at UFC 238)
40%

Total votes: 5

Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

2019 MMA Comeback Fighter of the Year 

Post#1 » by Cammo101 » Wed Jan 1, 2020 9:40 pm

Previous winners:

2018 – Jessica Eye
2017 - Georges St. Pierre
2016 - Khabib Nurmagomedov
2015 - Evan Dunham
2014 - Dominick Cruz
2013 - Robbie Lawler
2012 - Jamie Varner
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Re: 2019 MMA Comeback Fighter of the Year 

Post#2 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Jan 2, 2020 12:46 am

All three of those guys lost their last fights. Jorge probably quaifies here.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#3 » by Bernman » Fri Jan 3, 2020 8:15 pm

None of those fighters particularly qualify. If I have to choose between those, it's Faber. Hard to make comebacks in careers in MMA, unless you start doing roids. Once it starts going downhill it seldom does not stay there.

That's why I like to interpret this category for comebacks in fights. For that you gotta go Jairzinho v. Overeem, Cejudo v. Moraes, Pettis v. Wonderboy, etc. There were a lot of good ones in the ufc namely because of how competitively they match up guys.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#4 » by Cammo101 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 11:38 pm

Bernman wrote:None of those fighters particularly qualify. If I have to choose between those, it's Faber. Hard to make comebacks in careers in MMA, unless you start doing roids. Once it starts going downhill it seldom does not stay there.

That's why I like to interpret this category for comebacks in fights. For that you gotta go Jairzinho v. Overeem, Cejudo v. Moraes, Pettis v. Wonderboy, etc. There were a lot of good ones in the ufc namely because of how competitively they match up guys.

Yeah, we may just hybrid that going forward and have it be in a fight or possibly over the calendar year. I agree this one is kind of a meh category.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#5 » by Cammo101 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 11:46 pm

Updated with new options based on the new criteria.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#6 » by Susan » Sat Jan 4, 2020 6:26 am

Anthony Pettis. Every year.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#7 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sun Jan 5, 2020 5:03 am

Henry Cejudo...

No matter how much you hated him prior, he won everyone over that night.
Thank you Clutch0z24
Susan
RealGM

Post#8 » by Susan » Thu Jan 9, 2020 5:08 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:Henry Cejudo...

I mean, that fight didn't get as bad as Stipe/DC. DC was outclassing Stipe for longer, you could see the Henry fight turning in the second (from what I remember) but that Stipe fight was 100% nothing going for Stipe until those body shots hit and it was a tidal wave following that. Really impressive resiliency (as was Askren/Lawler).
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#9 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Jan 9, 2020 9:17 pm

Susan wrote:

I mean, that fight didn't get as bad as Stipe/DC. DC was outclassing Stipe for longer, you could see the Henry fight turning in the second (from what I remember) but that Stipe fight was 100% nothing going for Stipe until those body shots hit and it was a tidal wave following that. Really impressive resiliency (as was Askren/Lawler).

You're not wrong at all, but I feel the "comeback" goes beyond the fight itself. This is a man who barely escaped a fire, lost prized possessions, endured A LOT of hate for no reason. "cringe" is no reason either, he was getting an absurd amount of hatred towards him and I never understood it. People thinking he wasn't a rightful champ because of the upset against DJ...

He came back from all of that and won everyone over in one night. Then you see the fallout with TJ, and it became a very fitting end. Flyweight division still exists because of the value he brought too, for better or for worse. That captures a comeback fighter to me. Especially when you consider the backstory before 2019, with him considering retirement. There is no doubt he is a solidified champion now.
Thank you Clutch0z24
Susan
RealGM

Post#10 » by Susan » Thu Jan 9, 2020 9:47 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
Susan wrote:

You're not wrong at all, but I feel the "comeback" goes beyond the fight itself. This is a man who barely escaped a fire, lost prized possessions, endured A LOT of hate for no reason. "cringe" is no reason either, he was getting an absurd amount of hatred towards him and I never understood it. People thinking he wasn't a rightful champ because of the upset against DJ...

He came back from all of that and won everyone over in one night. Then you see the fallout with TJ, and it became a very fitting end. Flyweight division still exists because of the value he brought too, for better or for worse. That captures a comeback fighter to me. Especially when you consider the backstory before 2019, with him considering retirement. There is no doubt he is a solidified champion now.

Oh, I own a LOT of stock in CRINGE INC. :)

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts