UFC 246 (1/18) - Conor Vs Cowboy

Moderator: lilfishi22

goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,291

Re: UFC 246 (1/18) - Conor Vs Cowboy 

Post#21 » by goodboy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:49 am

It is a pretty underwhelming card. And super nice Conor isnt fun at all. Cowboy is gonna cash his pay and finally ride off.

Very weak card starting off 2020.
Bright
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#22 » by CPT » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:23 am

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
REDDzone wrote:I really don't care about this card tbh.

Their promotion has done them zero favours, it is Thursday evening and I am not hyped at all, which is super surprising considering the long lay off between events.

I don’t need fake beef, but I also can’t stand fake kindness all done for publicity. Both these guys are proven scum bags outside the octagon.

It’s funny how much crap Cowboy gave Ariel, when Ariel was exactly right. No one wanted to see fake, let’s drink beer and whiskey, oh thanks for the opportunity, cowboy.

Why should I feel invested in a fight when it seems like cowboy is just showing up for his big pay day.

This non chalant cowboy stuff is super annoying when it comes to competing, it’s no wonder he never wins his big fights, he never game plans and always wants to appease fans who are quick to forget.

Ironically, that’s why saying you want to keep it standing so you can entertain the fans does the complete opposite in appealing to me, you’re just going out there to lose at this point.

Don’t even bother placing a bet on Cowboy, put your money on the Australian wildfires, this guy lost before it even started.

Can you elaborate on Cowboy being a scumbag? I believe it, but I have a coworker who is a casual fan and LOVES Cowboy, so I'd like to have some dirt on him, lol.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#23 » by Jasen777 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:32 am

Dana saying Conor gets the title shot with a win.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#24 » by High 5 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:03 am

CPT wrote:Can you elaborate on Cowboy being a scumbag? I believe it, but I have a coworker who is a casual fan and LOVES Cowboy, so I'd like to have some dirt on him, lol.

I know he has a history of saying "f@g." Not sure if there are any other controversies or if that's enough to label him a scumbag.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#25 » by Dupp » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:13 am

Was looking at the next couple cards. 248 has two women headlining. Is that a first or has it been done before /how many times? Guessing Rousey ?

Also Whittaker pulled out of the event.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#26 » by Dupp » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:16 am

Jasen777 wrote:Dana saying Conor gets the title shot with a win.

Curious about this. Obviously he doesn’t deserve it on fighting merits but as a drawcard he’s ufc goat.

My question is how much say does khabib actually have? He’s saying I’m not fighting him and he doesn’t deserve it but can he actually do anything to deny it ( obviously not talking about something like retirement)
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#27 » by Jasen777 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:35 am

Dupp wrote:

Curious about this. On the doesn’t deserve it on fighting merits but as a drawcard he’s ufc goat.

My question is how much say does khabib actually have? He’s saying I’m not fighting him and he doesn’t deserve it but can he actually do anything to deny it ( obviously not talking about something like retirement)

Depends if Dana is willing to strip his title I guess. I assume he'd do it if Dana paid him enough.

Anyways he has to beat Ferguson first.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#28 » by Dupp » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:09 am

Jasen777 wrote:
Dupp wrote:

Curious about this. On the doesn’t deserve it on fighting merits but as a drawcard he’s ufc goat.

Depends if Dana is willing to strip his title I guess. I assume he'd do it if Dana paid him enough.

Yeah can’t wait for that fight
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#29 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:37 pm

Jasen777 wrote:
Dupp wrote:

For any fight, both fighters have to sign. It's not a cuttable offense to not sign. And there is no way someone as dominant as Khabib could have his title stripped over fighting someone as unworthy competition-wise as Conor. That would make the company look ridiculous.

Khabib would have a lot of power.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#30 » by REDDzone » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:32 pm

CPT wrote:Can you elaborate on Cowboy being a scumbag? I believe it, but I have a coworker who is a casual fan and LOVES Cowboy, so I'd like to have some dirt on him, lol.

Who knows what the situation was, but I recall him telling Rogan a few years back that he was in legal trouble for headkicking some random guy at the lake. LOL.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#31 » by REDDzone » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:34 pm

Imagine being drunk dumbf*ck #17, drinking a few budlights and going out to the lake to bang with your bros, then some tall skinny dude starts throwing precision kicks at your head.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#32 » by REDDzone » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:45 pm

Also, I'll disagree with the sentiment here. Conor's lone win since 2016 was against a 65 year old man in a bar.

Yea, Cowboy is shot, but Conor looks bloated at 170 and will gas if it goes past the second round. We'll also see if his precision is so precise when he's so muscular.

This is a more competitive fight than Conor/Khabib is IMO.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#33 » by High 5 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:13 pm

Creed/Drago was a more competitive fight than Conor/Khabib.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#34 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:08 pm

REDDzone wrote:Also, I'll disagree with the sentiment here. Conor's lone win since 2016 was against a 65 year old man in a bar.

Yea, Cowboy is shot, but Conor looks bloated at 170 and will gas if it goes past the second round. We'll also see if his precision is so precise when he's so muscular.

This is a more competitive fight than Conor/Khabib is IMO.

Conor will not be mentally unfit because of the lay-off. The man is on some crazy psych regimen. And his skills have looked fine enough in both of those losses. To maybe the best MMA fighter ever and to the best boxer of 20 years.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#35 » by REDDzone » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:16 pm

Also, ironically nice guy Conor is the worst thing that he could be doing right now. Cowboy is the guy who doesn't want his opponent to be mad at him. Remember how Matt Brown was beating him until they hugged then Cowboy KTFO him? The type of sh*t he was doing vs Aldo or Eddie would almost be enough to deliver him this fight vs. Cowboy alone, but the current state of them being BFFs really plays in Cowboy's favor.

Listen, obviously Conor is the favorite. I'm just not writing off the fight. I agree with the Cowboy is probably shot, but I don't agree that Conor is still an elite fighter until he proves otherwise.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#36 » by Susan » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:08 am

Read on Twitter

Wisconsin is full of cheaters.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#37 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:45 am

REDDzone wrote:Also, ironically nice guy Conor is the worst thing that he could be doing right now. Cowboy is the guy who doesn't want his opponent to be mad at him. Remember how Matt Brown was beating him until they hugged then Cowboy KTFO him? The type of sh*t he was doing vs Aldo or Eddie would almost be enough to deliver him this fight vs. Cowboy alone, but the current state of them being BFFs really plays in Cowboy's favor.

Listen, obviously Conor is the favorite. I'm just not writing off the fight. I agree with the Cowboy is probably shot, but I don't agree that Conor is still an elite fighter until he proves otherwise.

I agree that it's weird mental ninja Conor is letting Cowboy be affable...when that is the only way Cowboy wins big fights. Iaquinta is probably a better fighter but he showed Cowboy respect...and got tooled. Matt Brown was handing Cowboy his ass but made the mistake of conceding a hug.

And the Nate fight was the first where we really saw this play out. Cowboy could not handle the negative energy.

So why Conor is letting him off the hook, I don't know. Does he not want to appear a bully? Can he not summon the venom when Cowboy is such a non chalant dude? Seems unlikely. Aldo was no less likeable.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#38 » by gigantes » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:04 am

For some reason I've seen very little talk of the size difference between these guys. This is something that gave Conor a lot of trouble against Diaz, and I could definitely see it being a factor this time around.

For example, Cerrone is a natural at 170 and about four inches taller. Meanwhile, Conor's past does not give me any confidence that he's a true 170'er, and what's more, I could see the additional muscle mass this time around being a real factor in gassing. He's taking a big leap here, presumably because he wants to hit a true welterweight size for this fight.

Of course I agree with pretty much everyone that McG is clearly the better fighter, and is nicely set to exploit several of Cowboy's weaknesses. But I also wouldn't be surprised if Cerrone turned the tables on him and finished him, maybe even as early as the second round.

Obviously at 155 this is a much different fight. So props to Conor for taking this kind of leap. IMO it's a bigger challenge than I think people are giving him credit for.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#39 » by REDDzone » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:56 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Also, ironically nice guy Conor is the worst thing that he could be doing right now. Cowboy is the guy who doesn't want his opponent to be mad at him. Remember how Matt Brown was beating him until they hugged then Cowboy KTFO him? The type of sh*t he was doing vs Aldo or Eddie would almost be enough to deliver him this fight vs. Cowboy alone, but the current state of them being BFFs really plays in Cowboy's favor.

I agree that it's weird mental ninja Conor is letting Cowboy be affable...when that is the only way Cowboy wins big fights. Iaquinta is probably a better fighter but he showed Cowboy respect...and got tooled. Matt Brown was handing Cowboy his ass but made the mistake of conceding a hug.

And the Nate fight was the first where we really saw this play out. Cowboy could not handle the negative energy.

So why Conor is letting him off the hook, I don't know. Does he not want to appear a bully? Can he not summon the venom when Cowboy is such a non chalant dude? Seems unlikely. Aldo was no less likeable.

My theory is Conor doesn't want to come off as a bully against fan favorite Cowboy at the same time that he's trying to win back the fans. There has been some talk that even Irish fans are done with Conor's delinquent antics. His coach was saying he doesn't anticipate many Irish fans will be making the trip over to the fight, for example (granted he did cite the holidays as a reason why).
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#40 » by Jasen777 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:23 am

REDDzone wrote:(granted he did cite the holidays as a reason why).

MLK day big in Ireland?

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts