Ufc 249

Moderator: lilfishi22

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Re: Ufc 249 

Post#181 » by Duke4life831 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:19 pm

Headliner wrote:Out of curiosity who do people think is the better matchup to beat Khabib, JG, Tony, Conor rematch, or someone else?

Gaethje.

Tony: I know people love his versatile submission game and his elbows. But I cant get the Kevin Lee fight out of my head. Kevin Lee got him down and got to mount with ease against him. If Lee did that, than Khabib would have no problem.

Conor: I think any kind of rematch goes a pretty similar way as the 1st one. Only change I see maybe is instead of Khabib rocking Conor on the feet, I can see Conor finally clipping Khabib. But if its not a 1 shot KO, I just see Khabib grabbing him and mauling him.

Gaethje: I think Gaethje is Conor but with better wrestling. Gaethje has only been taken down twice in his UFC career. 1 time by Michael Johnson and that was because he was rocked. And 1 time by Eddie and that was after he was extremely gassed and really beat up. Both times though he shot right back up to his feet, he has probably spent a total of 7-10 seconds on the ground. Now Im not saying I think Gaethje out wrestles Khabib and wins. But out of all the guys at 155 I think he has the best chance. He is a true KO striker, all American wrestler and with the combo of that I think Trevor Whitman could put together a pretty damn good game plan. Still think Khabib wins though.
MystikSpiral
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#182 » by MystikSpiral » Tue May 12, 2020 9:13 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Gaethje has only been taken down twice in his UFC career.

Has anybody even tried to actually wrestle him?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#183 » by Duke4life831 » Tue May 12, 2020 9:28 pm

MystikSpiral wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Gaethje has only been taken down twice in his UFC career.

Has anybody even tried to actually wrestle him?

Not in the UFC no. I believe he has only faced like 10 takedown attempts or something like that. Without a doubt the sample size is tiny, but the guy is a top tier wrestler. But that also doesn't mean much, I remember the GSP vs Koshcheck fight and the talk that Koscheck was a NCAA wrestling champ and GSP ended up taking him down a few times.

Again Im not saying Id pick Gaethje in that fight. Just saying Gaethje was a all American wrestler and hasn't really been taken down as of yet in the UFC. With that said, its not like Khabib has faced a top tier wrestler either. Gaethje has the best wrestling credentials that Khabib has faced probably, or at least the best wrestler since Tibau.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#184 » by REDDzone » Wed May 13, 2020 1:07 am

Fake but still LOLzers.

Read on Twitter
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#185 » by REDDzone » Wed May 13, 2020 1:11 am

It's so LOLZworthy that they didn't think to do this to begin with.

Read on Twitter
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#186 » by REDDzone » Wed May 13, 2020 1:15 am

Susan wrote:
Read on Twitter

UFC made journalists sign something about not criticizing their covid process too. I don't know the details, but...

The MMA journalists union is now telling their journalists NOT to sign it, even if it means being denied access to the events. They call it an overreach.

https://www.mmaja.com/statement-05-11-20/

MMAJA STATEMENT ON UFC MEDIA WAIVER POLICY
MAY 11, 2020
Dear MMAJA members,

The officers of the MMA Journalists Association are aware of a waiver that media members have been asked to sign when attending UFC events amid the COVID-19 pandemic. It is our opinion that this document is overly broad and overreaching in its scope, and may interfere with the ability of media members to do their jobs fully and effectively. We are advising members not to sign this document, even if it means foregoing in-person coverage of these UFC events.

We realize that this may put some MMAJA members in a difficult position, especially if they have been asked by their employers to attend and provide coverage of these events. To a point, we understand the UFC’s desire to take measures to protect itself legally and limit its own potential for liability during this uncertain time. We also understand the UFC’s desire to subject everyone who may come into contact with fighters or staff to COVID-19 testing and other reasonable safety measures.

But it is our belief that some of the restrictive language in the UFC’s agreement could have a chilling effect on journalists, possibly limiting their ability to fully and accurately report the facts. This is something we cannot support.

MMAJA officers reached out to the UFC to discuss the matter, but received no response. We also consulted with The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press (https://www.rcfp.org/), which offers pro bono legal representation and other resources to “protect First Amendment freedoms and newsgathering rights of journalists.” RCFP legal fellow William Powell’s interpretation of the UFC participation agreement that MMAJA members and other credentialed media were asked to sign was that it was legally questionable and potentially ethically problematic. Going forward, RCFP offered consultation for MMAJA members, and would provide contact for a media attorney in Nevada if any of our members want to discuss challenging the agreement on public policy grounds.

We encourage members to reach out to us if they have any questions or concerns about our position. We offer our full and collective support to any MMAJA members who may be facing pressure to sign this document, or consequences stemming from their refusal to do so. Again, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us either individually or collectively with any issues or questions that may arise.

Sincerely,

Ben Fowlkes, president
Ariel Helwani, vice president
Josh Gross, secretary
Marc Raimondi, treasurer
Dave Doyle, at-large officer
Jeff Wagenheim, at-large officer
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#187 » by Susan » Wed May 13, 2020 2:45 am

Headliner wrote:Out of curiosity who do people think is the better matchup to beat Khabib, JG, Tony, Conor rematch, or someone else?

JG easy.
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#188 » by Joker » Wed May 13, 2020 4:13 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:

Gaethje.

Tony: I know people love his versatile submission game and his elbows. But I cant get the Kevin Lee fight out of my head. Kevin Lee got him down and got to mount with ease against him. If Lee did that, than Khabib would have no problem.

Conor: I think any kind of rematch goes a pretty similar way as the 1st one. Only change I see maybe is instead of Khabib rocking Conor on the feet, I can see Conor finally clipping Khabib. But if its not a 1 shot KO, I just see Khabib grabbing him and mauling him.

Gaethje: I think Gaethje is Conor but with better wrestling. Gaethje has only been taken down twice in his UFC career. 1 time by Michael Johnson and that was because he was rocked. And 1 time by Eddie and that was after he was extremely gassed and really beat up. Both times though he shot right back up to his feet, he has probably spent a total of 7-10 seconds on the ground. Now Im not saying I think Gaethje out wrestles Khabib and wins. But out of all the guys at 155 I think he has the best chance. He is a true KO striker, all American wrestler and with the combo of that I think Trevor Whitman could put together a pretty damn good game plan. Still think Khabib wins though.

Comparing Gaethje and Conor, I think Conor's precision and timing in his hands may arguably be better than Gaethje's, but Gaethje's kicks do a lot more damage, and I trust Gaethje to be more of a threat in the latter rounds than Conor.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#189 » by Headliner » Wed May 13, 2020 4:27 pm

If JG is just able to use his wrestling to keep Khabib from bullying him into the cage it’ll be an interesting fight.

Khabib isn’t a stamina beast either. In fact he’s got pretty poor cardio because he puts so much into the grind game and trying to finish early. He was gassed vs Al.

JG was saying August or September in order to heal.
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#190 » by Joker » Wed May 13, 2020 6:15 pm

Khabib’s wrestling game is all oriented around forward pressure and shooting in as he gets you close to the fence. Gaethje’s gameplan will presumably revolve around keeping the fight in the middle of the octagon, using forward presssure of his own to do so. Khabib never really does groundwork in open space - always using the fence.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#191 » by Headliner » Wed May 13, 2020 7:27 pm

Yup
Khabibs gameplay is pretty straightforward, spar for a tiny bit then pressure forward and then throw huge wild punches to close the distance and try to grind him into the cage and then get him down from there
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#192 » by lilfishi22 » Wed May 13, 2020 11:44 pm

Conor's gameplan is always to do work in middle of the mat too but Khabib found ways to pressure Conor to the fence.

Gaethje may not hit as hard, may not be as precise or as fast as Conor but I think his anti-wrestling wrestling is potentially the x-factor vs Khabib. Tony's x-factor against Khabib was his ability to attack off his back which is something Conor wasn't very good at. But if Gaethje is able to stay technical, keep working the legs and anti-wrestle, he'll have a good chance at wearing down Khabib.

I still think Khabib is and should be the favorite against all 3 but Gaethje imo is the only one that presents a legitimate challenge to Khabib's greatest strength which is his wrestling.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
mpoo_sin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,130

Post#193 » by mpoo_sin » Thu May 14, 2020 5:55 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
lobosloboslobos wrote:does anyone think DC would have a chance against Ngannou?

Ya. Look how Francis swings, he still swings super wide and he stands straight up. Stipe wrestled him with ease when they fought, DC would take him down pretty easily. With that said, all it takes is just one shot by Francis to end it.

Stipe ate 2 or 3 and (barely) managed to survive. Check their fight.
2 things come to my mind
- miocic has an iron-chin
- must have been a perfectly angled shot by cormier to ko him with one hit
*Bonus
- dcs eyepokes played a big role in both fights, yet he wasn t penalized once, i believe

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts