Thoughts on The "Zion vs. McGregor" thread in General NBA?

Moderator: lilfishi22

AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Thoughts on The "Zion vs. McGregor" thread in General NBA? 

Post#1 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sun May 17, 2020 8:57 pm

I'm assuming since we all signed up to RealGM, we are all fans of basketball along with our love for MMA. I didn't bother posting in that thread because these are extremely casual people who think untrained athletes would beat up life-long trained martial artists.

How painful do you guys find it going through that thread? It's a really tough read for me. Didn't we have someone try to say Draymond Green would beat up every single UFC fighter which he weighed more than.

I just don't get this sentiment that people have. Mighty Mouse would absolutely **** up every single person in the NBA, it's just a fact to me. It's not even an argument. I don't even care if it's Tacko Fall, Mighty Mouse would kick those legs apart. Let alone McGregor going against Zion.

What does size have to do with reflexes? Conor got some of the quickest striking, it's like people don't factor in anything other than "he's bigger". Pathetic, imo.
Thank you Clutch0z24
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Re: Thoughts on The "Zion vs. McGregor" thread in General NBA? 

Post#2 » by Headliner » Mon May 18, 2020 12:19 am

Skill wins almost every time, but at some point shear size matters, but we are talking circus levels.
Or if a guy has some background in mma or boxing or wrestling etc, James Johnson for instance practices MMA. The guy is around 6’8, and in world class athlete shape. He could probably beat some flyweight guys out there just because his reach is almost double theirs, his power is far greater and he has some basic understanding of grappling. But when you get up to the level of top guys, like a mouse, no way.

Conor and Zion wouldn’t even be a fight.
Conor would break his chin in under 30 seconds
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#3 » by cowboyronnie » Mon May 18, 2020 1:52 am

It's remarkable how dumb ball/puck sport athletes look when trying to cross-train striking/MMA. So uncoordinated and ridiculous.

But size ultimately can make a huge difference. I once had my ribs broken by some rugby player w/ 3 mo experience sheerly because he had long arms, 70 pounds on me (me: 155lb), and we were in a tiny ring. He hit me with one glancing punch and cracked my ****. That said, UFC cages are huge. A small guy could easily never get trapped.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,605

Post#4 » by Duke4life831 » Mon May 18, 2020 6:08 am

Ill post 2 videos on this topic (both were posted in that GB thread)

(Huerta pretty much the same size as Conor taking out a 240 pound linebacker)

Just because they're great athletes doesnt mean they're natural boxers haha. I can guarantee that none of those guys shown in that clip could ever KO Conor. Who knows maybe Zion is just a natural striker, but ya my feeling is he has never thrown a real punch in his life and probably looks pretty close to the Rockets in that video (just like most people without training).

I agree that at a certain point size can overcome skill. For example prime athletic Shaq vs Mighty Mouse in a street fight. We are talking close to a 2 foot height difference. It would be beyond unnatural for Mighty Mouse to try and punch that high. But I dont think Zion vs Conor falls into that drastic of a height differential that it would make Conor incapable of being effective.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,072
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#5 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon May 18, 2020 7:13 am

When Conor is fresh, even Floyd Mayweather was missing punches thrown at him. :lol:

Zion would look so ridiculous trying to fight Conor.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#6 » by REDDzone » Mon May 18, 2020 12:43 pm

Duke...Mouse destroys Shaq. :D
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#7 » by REDDzone » Mon May 18, 2020 3:11 pm

I do think there's a point where size and strength are just too much. I train with this 250 lb former d1 all conference level defensive end and LOL, there is just no way I could ever beat that guy at anything combat related. It's just...different.

That said, Conor is a professional at the highest level and the size of the human that is big enough to kick his *ss with no training doesn't exist.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#8 » by AirCanadaMouse » Mon May 18, 2020 8:35 pm

REDDzone wrote:Duke...Mouse destroys Shaq. :D

Yeah this wouldn’t be a debate for me. Mighty Mouse would run through the entire nba.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you Clutch0z24
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#9 » by Susan » Tue May 19, 2020 3:02 am

Will somebody teach Conor how to grapple beforehand?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#10 » by REDDzone » Tue May 19, 2020 2:37 pm

Susan wrote:Will somebody teach Conor how to grapple beforehand?

Lol, are you defining not knowing how to grapple as not being able to beat Khabib in grappling? Because in that case, you can't grapple either nerd.
Susan
RealGM

Post#11 » by Susan » Tue May 19, 2020 3:50 pm

REDDzone wrote:

Lol, are you defining not knowing how to grapple as not being able to beat Khabib in grappling? Because in that case, you can't grapple either nerd.

I can't grapple because we're still sheltering in place and only because of that.

Please don't attack my troll response to this very serious and important discussion!
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#12 » by REDDzone » Tue May 19, 2020 4:42 pm

Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

I can't grapple because we're still sheltering in place and only because of that.

Please don't attack my troll response to this very serious and important discussion!

Not to go off-topic, but I can't see traneing being a part of my life for a long time. Unfortunately. :(
Susan
RealGM

Post#13 » by Susan » Tue May 19, 2020 7:05 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

Not to go off-topic, but I can't see traneing being a part of my life for a long time. Unfortunately. :(

Not until COVID ends or other stuff?

I want to get my hernia fixed and then maybe try and get my BB from Comrpido just because that would be cool.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#14 » by REDDzone » Tue May 19, 2020 7:16 pm

Because of covid. BJJ gyms will be a source of spread I think, unfortunately.

Are you brown now? I can't remember if I knew that.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#15 » by cowboyronnie » Tue May 19, 2020 9:40 pm

^^^ The latest Renato Laranja podcast covers Covid and BJJ a bit, talking to Kenny Florian.

"Renato", of course, is actually an unbelievably sensitive, reflective dude and - without naming names - is pretty concerned about the stupidity emanating from the BJJ world and its Eddie Bravos.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#16 » by REDDzone » Tue May 19, 2020 9:53 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:^^^ The latest Renato Laranja podcast covers Covid and BJJ a bit, talking to Kenny Florian.

"Renato", of course, is actually an unbelievably sensitive, reflective dude and - without naming names - is pretty concerned about the stupidity emanating from the BJJ world and its Eddie Bravos.

There are a lot of desperate gym owners out there who are struggling, many gyms have shut down already and some gym owners are vocal in their desire to open back up.

With that said, let's not act like Eddie Bravo speaks for the BJJ community or that there are multiple "Eddie Bravo" like voices. Maybe within 10th Planet. IDK. Honestly from my perspective that whole sub-community is pretty irrelevant within the larger community.
Susan
RealGM

Post#17 » by Susan » Tue May 19, 2020 11:31 pm

It's not going to be easy for gyms to survive. Especially in NYC/LA/SF/Chicago in high rent areas.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#18 » by cowboyronnie » Wed May 20, 2020 12:20 am

REDDzone wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:^^^ The latest Renato Laranja podcast covers Covid and BJJ a bit, talking to Kenny Florian.

There are a lot of desperate gym owners out there who are struggling, many gyms have shut down already and some gym owners are vocal in their desire to open back up.

With that said, let's not act like Eddie Bravo speaks for the BJJ community or that there are multiple "Eddie Bravo" like voices. Maybe within 10th Planet. IDK. Honestly from my perspective that whole sub-community is pretty irrelevant within the larger community.

That's fair. You're right.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#19 » by REDDzone » Wed May 20, 2020 1:15 am

^^ That said, and I alluded to this before, the Brazilian BJJ guys that I follow on social media (as in, living in Brazil) never stopped training normally with full mats.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#20 » by Jasen777 » Thu May 21, 2020 8:29 pm

Well there's certainly some dumb takes in that thread.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts