Best Fight Island Fights Ahead?

Moderator: lilfishi22

lobosloboslobos
RealGM
And1: 17,824

Best Fight Island Fights Ahead? 

Post#1 » by lobosloboslobos » Wed Jul 8, 2020 3:44 pm

There are no less than 4 upcoming UFC events in the two weeks between July 11 and 25 and then 2 more in early August.

What fights are you most looking forward to seeing? Despite all the COVID issues and everything else there are still some pretty interesting fights lined up. I'd say Whittaker vs Till is the one I'm most excited to see. That should be crazy intense.

What about you? Also, any lesser-known fighters to keep an eye out for?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Re: Best Fight Island Fights Ahead? 

Post#2 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 8:49 pm

Whittaker vs Till is my most anticipated Fight Island fight so far. I was going to say Shahbazyan vs Brunson, but that one is at the Apex. Not a fight Im hyped for, but curious how fat Gus is going to look. I think there are a good amount of solid fights coming up, but no fight Im just counting down the days to see really. DC vs Stipe 3 is the closest to that kind of fight for me, but that is at the Apex.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,676

Post#3 » by Dupp » Wed Jul 8, 2020 9:34 pm

Whittaker v till and Holloway vs Alexander coz Aussie.
Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#4 » by Joker » Wed Jul 8, 2020 11:13 pm

Calvin Kattar has some of the best boxing in the UFC. And that elbow finish he had against Jeremy Stephens was bruuutal. Low-key contender at featherweight. His fight with Zabit was super close and wish it had been a 5 rounder, not 3. Looking forward to see how he looks against Dan Ige.
Joker
RealGM

Post#5 » by Joker » Wed Jul 8, 2020 11:18 pm

Hermanson-Gastelum could also be potentially great.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#6 » by Susan » Thu Jul 9, 2020 2:02 pm

Honestly Masvidal/Usman is the biggest story in MMA in a minute to me. Masvidal's rise has been unreal and would set him up for a super mega fight with Connor which would probably be the new biggest fight in MMA history.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#7 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Jul 9, 2020 2:22 pm

2020 will be redeemed if Usman finishes Masvidal. Declaring it, as a white guy sitting in a comfortable home in a functioning country: 2020, it's all forgiven, if you give us this.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Susan
RealGM

Post#8 » by Susan » Thu Jul 9, 2020 3:04 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:2020 will be redeemed if Usman finishes Masvidal. Declaring it, as a white guy sitting in a comfortable home in a functioning country: 2020, it's all forgiven, if you give us this.

Gunna send Mike Perry into your hometown and let him loose.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#9 » by REDDzone » Thu Jul 9, 2020 3:26 pm

I see this as being boring af tbh. Lots of Usman pushing Masvidal up against the cage. But Mas has good defensive grappling so I don't think most of the fight will be contested on the ground and if he does get taken down he will get back up. I also don't think Usman will care to trade with Masvidal.

I hope I'm wrong.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Joker
RealGM

Post#10 » by Joker » Thu Jul 9, 2020 8:18 pm

REDDzone wrote:I see this as being boring af tbh. Lots of Usman pushing Masvidal up against the cage. But Mas has good defensive grappling so I don't think most of the fight will be contested on the ground and if he does get taken down he will get back up. I also don't think Usman will care to trade with Masvidal.

I hope I'm wrong.

So you're thinking it will mostly be standing clinch against the fence? I hope not.

I have this feeling that this fight will get a little wild.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#11 » by REDDzone » Thu Jul 9, 2020 8:56 pm

Chaos, free movement, and widness all greatly favor Masvidal.

Unfortunately for him, Usman knows that and is a smart fighter.

Like I said, hope I'm wrong.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Susan
RealGM

Post#12 » by Susan » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:41 am

REDDzone wrote:Chaos, free movement, and widness all greatly favor Masvidal.

This in a way reminds me of Khabib/DP but Usman isn't Khabib. DP and Jorge have similar strengths/weaknesses which makes sense considering they're both ATT and close friends.

He is a little more aggressive in his striking than Khabib but his control on the ground really isn't close to Khabib's. He wasn't afraid of Colby's power but I think he's still afraid of strikers and his offensive GNP isn't nearly to Khabib's level so Jorge will be able to ride the storm out. This is a closer fight than what the oddsmakers have it at IMO.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,035
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#13 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:46 am

I put a little bit on a Jorge/Max parlay for fun. Not a lot of cards where you can get guys as good as them and Aldo as pretty big dogs.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Susan
RealGM

Post#14 » by Susan » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:49 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:I put a little bit on a Jorge/Max parlay for fun. Not a lot of cards where you can get guys as good as them and Aldo as pretty big dogs.

Not buying the Petr Yan hype. Beating old ass Faber isn't a big deal and Aldo was neck and neck with Marlon in his first fight at 135. Going with Jorge/Aldo parlay.

Things don't look good for Max in this one. Too much bad there. Recent fight, no real training camp, everything happening over Zoom, no training partners.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,035
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#15 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:32 am

Susan wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:I put a little bit on a Jorge/Max parlay for fun. Not a lot of cards where you can get guys as good as them and Aldo as pretty big dogs.

Not buying the Petr Yan hype. Beating old ass Faber isn't a big deal and Aldo was neck and neck with Marlon in his first fight at 135. Going with Jorge/Aldo parlay.

Things don't look good for Max in this one. Too much bad there. Recent fight, no real training camp, everything happening over Zoom, no training partners.

Yea I was watching Yan vs Faber earlier. Faber was able to land, just didn’t look like he could do any real damage. I like Aldo in this too.

Max has won me a lot of money, and I think Volkanovski is gonna press for a finish and get baited into a brawl this time. Maybe a sentimental pick, I love Max.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#16 » by REDDzone » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:37 pm

I love Max too but think I'm rooting for Volkanovsky tbh. I f*cking hate the UFC's policy of making number one contenders beat champions twice to become champ. AV clearly won the first fight.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#17 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:48 pm

Yan is for real. He will smoke Aldo.

In fact, I think all the favorites win and I bet a 3-way on Rose, Usman, and Volk. It doesn't actually make me a whole lot of money but I am confident that all three win.

There's some mentality issues with Rose, maybe, but technically she was absolutely dominating that first one.

Max is exposed as a guy who can't do anything but fight on the front foot. He has no step backs, no slip and counters, no lateral evasion he just reels backwards (which allows him to roll off punches but doesn't allow him counter-offense).

And I just trust that a prepared Usman takes out Jorge.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#18 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:04 pm

Jorge makes weight. Looks pretty cut.

If I were Usman, I'd be demanding that beard get trimmed. Not cos it cushions but so that he can target.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#19 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:06 pm

So Edgar has refused the, like, 3+ offers for a replacement fight???
Joker
RealGM

Post#20 » by Joker » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:31 pm

Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Chaos, free movement, and widness all greatly favor Masvidal.

This in a way reminds me of Khabib/DP but Usman isn't Khabib. DP and Jorge have similar strengths/weaknesses which makes sense considering they're both ATT and close friends.

He is a little more aggressive in his striking than Khabib but his control on the ground really isn't close to Khabib's. He wasn't afraid of Colby's power but I think he's still afraid of strikers and his offensive GNP isn't nearly to Khabib's level so Jorge will be able to ride the storm out. This is a closer fight than what the oddsmakers have it at IMO.

Agree. And yeah, Colby's a low-power, high-volume guy. He kind of throws everything at 70%. Knowing that, Usman could stand with him. But Jorge throws with bad intentions every time so ill-advised for Usman to stand at all with Jorge. Jorge's body kicks and overhands are nasty.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts