Moderator: lilfishi22

Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Re: UFC 254: Khabib vs Justin G 

Post#241 » by Headliner » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:47 am

REDDzone wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Imagine how fondly Chris Weidman would be looked upon if he walked away after the Vitor fight. People would still think he was the possible foil to Bones, etc.

Khabib is a monster, but you can’t compare his short reign to something like GSPs lengthy dominance.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Man, what if Anderson retired after Bonnar? :o

Which would have been fine, he was 38.
We look at Silva through the lens of a guy fighting when he was 39 - 45, which has demolished his legacy. but he was the most dominant fighter for around 7 years.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,091
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#242 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:57 am

I think most people ding Anderson for failing a PED test. I hope people don’t knock a fighter for loving to get in there and fight. His passion for the sport is very obvious, and he’s not afraid to take a tough match or something that can hurt more than it helps.

Is it smart? No, but if anything it makes me respect him more.

Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,091
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#243 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:14 am

Like DC dominated him at UFC 200, but that was a cool and memorable moment, especially when it looked like he hurt him with that body shot.

Fighting Bisping and Bisping toughing that out gave him the springboard to go shock the world, and it was a cool ass fight.

Israel beat him comfortably, but it made a fight of the night, and was such a cool spectacle to see that even greatly diminished, you still can’t fool around with him.

I’m greatful he’s stuck around to give us some cool Spider moments. His legacy doesn’t hinge on an unblemished record. I won’t blame guys like GSP or Bones for not doing it, but I’m glad Anderson did. Definitely on my Mount Rushmore.

Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#244 » by REDDzone » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:19 am

^^ Yea, retiring after Bonnar would have removed the losses but also the steroid thing from his legacy.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#245 » by High 5 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:28 am

I can't look back on the last 8 years of Silva's career with any fondness whatsoever.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#246 » by Headliner » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:02 am

So what do you guys think will happen with the belt?

Connor vs Dustin is the only booked fight with top 5 guys in it. They could just make that for the title or they could do a small tourney, or set up another two guys.

I’m assuming the guys in the mix would be:

Michael Chandler
Tony Ferguson
Justin Gaethje
Connor
Dustin
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#247 » by Headliner » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:41 pm

PPV numbers are in... it bombed 675k, something like 5th best PPV of the year.
Dana tried to hype it, saying it was trending to be the biggest fight ever, so that’s a huge let down.

Prelims did horrible as well, lowest since Khabib vs Dustin.

Usman vs Masvidal did 1.3 million for comparison, and Tony vs JG was 700k

The 2 pm start time obviously didn’t go over well, they thought the Russian base would come, but apparently the only did around 175ish outside NA.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#248 » by spykelee » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:08 am

Lmao, Dana now thinks he's gonna try for 30-0... I for one hope he's right. If khabib goes 30-0 defeating gsp on the way out... Wow, couldn't deny him #1 then. It's just such a massive legacy fight for both guys I hope this gets done.

Sent from my SM-N975W using RealGM mobile app
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#249 » by Headliner » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:51 am

spykelee wrote:Lmao, Dana now thinks he's gonna try for 30-0... I for one hope he's right. If khabib goes 30-0 defeating gsp on the way out... Wow, couldn't deny him #1 then. It's just such a massive legacy fight for both guys I hope this gets done.

I want to see that fight, but at the same time it's still an astrix fight, and that's a little problematic. It's GSP...but he's at a new weight...he's 40 years old...and he's fought 1 time in 7 years...
It would be like Adesyna saying he beat Silva. Ya you beat Silva, but he was 43 and 6 years out of his prime. It's somewhat a meaningless win.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#250 » by Dupp » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:32 pm

So how much do you guys think the time slot factored into the poor ppv numbers?

Crazy that usman vs masvidal card doubled it. Honestly that fight never looked super appealing and always looked to be boring. I thought Khabib v Justin was gonna be a much more entertaining fight. Guess people are really into the drama
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#251 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:24 pm

Headliner wrote:
spykelee wrote:Lmao, Dana now thinks he's gonna try for 30-0... I for one hope he's right. If khabib goes 30-0 defeating gsp on the way out... Wow, couldn't deny him #1 then. It's just such a massive legacy fight for both guys I hope this gets done.

I want to see that fight, but at the same time it's still an astrix fight, and that's a little problematic. It's GSP...but he's at a new weight...he's 40 years old...and he's fought 1 time in 7 years...
It would be like Adesyna saying he beat Silva. Ya you beat Silva, but he was 43 and 6 years out of his prime. It's somewhat a meaningless win.

If Khabib beats Stipe to go 30-0, you're going to find an asterisk. Let's be honest.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#252 » by Headliner » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:38 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
Headliner wrote:

If Khabib beats Stipe to go 30-0, you're going to find an asterisk. Let's be honest.

So you think putting GSP on your resume at 40 years old, with 1 fight in 7 years at a catch weight that is most likely 10 pounds under what he's fought at his entire career wouldn't require some explanation when discussing the fight? Good to know.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#253 » by REDDzone » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:42 pm

LOL @ MMA retirements. Anyway, I'm fine if he comes back but not if Conor is the opponent.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#254 » by Headliner » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:55 pm

Dupp wrote:So how much do you guys think the time slot factored into the poor ppv numbers?

Crazy that usman vs masvidal card doubled it. Honestly that fight never looked super appealing and always looked to be boring. I thought Khabib v Justin was gonna be a much more entertaining fight. Guess people are really into the drama

It had to of made some difference, I'd think?

The Khabib PPVs have been (From Tapology, not sure how reliable that is, but it's the reference point).

Khabib vs Connor (2.4)
Khabib vs JG (675k)
Khabib vs Al (375k)
Khabib vs Dustin P (Never revealed, which is odd).

Were his other PPVs on at an earlier time? In the report I read it said that the Prelims were the lowest rated ones since Khabib vs Dustin, which makes me think that PPV may have been on earlier as well?

The other thing that Dana may not have been thinking about is that Russia is like the land of illegal streams. It's not looked at like a big deal and it's more normalized in their culture, not like in the Western Countries. Everyone probably streamed it and didn't pay.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#255 » by REDDzone » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:27 pm

The Dustin fight was on earlier. The rest were normal time.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#256 » by High 5 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:01 pm

Headliner wrote:
Dupp wrote:So how much do you guys think the time slot factored into the poor ppv numbers?

It had to of made some difference, I'd think?

The Khabib PPVs have been (From Tapology, not sure how reliable that is, but it's the reference point).

Khabib vs Connor (2.4)
Khabib vs JG (675k)
Khabib vs Al (375k)
Khabib vs Dustin P (Never revealed, which is odd).

Were his other PPVs on at an earlier time? In the report I read it said that the Prelims were the lowest rated ones since Khabib vs Dustin, which makes me think that PPV may have been on earlier as well?

The other thing that Dana may not have been thinking about is that Russia is like the land of illegal streams. It's not looked at like a big deal and it's more normalized in their culture, not like in the Western Countries. Everyone probably streamed it and didn't pay.

PPVs are only a thing in like NA, UK, and Oceania I believe. I forgot about that when I was thinking the PPV numbers would be good despite the early start. Everywhere else including Russia can just watch it on TV.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#257 » by Dupp » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:13 pm

Ok that makes a lot more sense. Still more numbers PPV wise but I wonder what the tv numbers were?

Oceania would have had terrible buy numbers because of the 3am/5am start. I believe UK had. Decent time slot for once.

The major decline was most likely in NA. Their start was what, midday/ 2pm? Seems like a decent time but I guess night sells better?
RutherSeb
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#258 » by RutherSeb » Thu Nov 5, 2020 6:32 pm

what are your impressions after the fight?
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#259 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Nov 5, 2020 11:55 pm

RutherSeb wrote:what are your impressions after the fight?

Khabib is the GOAT mainly
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,436

Post#260 » by Susan » Fri Nov 6, 2020 12:22 am

RutherSeb wrote:what are your impressions after the fight?

Explain your teams for me?

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts