UFC 261 - Usman vs Jorge, Rose vs Zhang, Schev vs Andrade

Moderator: lilfishi22

jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Re: UFC 261 - Usman vs Jorge, Rose vs Zhang, Schev vs Andrade 

Post#121 » by jake_swivel » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:57 am

Prez wrote:Okay I'll ask it - what does Usman have to do for it to become a real discussion between him and GSP?

Maia-RDA-Woodley-Colby-Masvidal-Burns-Masvidal is an absolutely insane run. Literally all killers. If he beats Colby in a rematch and then whoever is after that (Leon or Wonderboy?), idk man. The discussion gets interesting

I think at this point GSP is done. He's 39 and that's ancient for any non-heavyweight. He's fought once in 8 years. He would've had a big size advantage on Khabib and would have taken away Khabib's crown as P4P of all time. I don't think the risk/reward is there for an Usman fight. It doesn't add to his legacy as much as a Khabib fight would, and Usman is just as much of a monster.

If anything, Khabib keeps saying he wants a challenge. Go fight Usman. That's a damn challenge and would sell huge. Not as much as GSP, but in the same universe at this point. Especially if Usman runs through Colby or puts on another thriller like the first fight.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,431

Post#122 » by Susan » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:58 am

jake_swivel wrote:
Prez wrote:Okay I'll ask it - what does Usman have to do for it to become a real discussion between him and GSP?

Maia-RDA-Woodley-Colby-Masvidal-Burns-Masvidal is an absolutely insane run. Literally all killers. If he beats Colby in a rematch and then whoever is after that (Leon or Wonderboy?), idk man. The discussion gets interesting

I think at this point GSP is done. He's 39 and that's ancient for any non-heavyweight. He's fought once in 8 years. He would've had a big size advantage on Khabib and would have taken away Khabib's crown as P4P of all time. I don't think the risk/reward is there for an Usman fight. It doesn't add to his legacy as much as a Khabib fight would, and Usman is just as much of a monster.

If anything, Khabib keeps saying he wants a challenge. Go fight Usman. That's a damn challenge and would sell huge. Not as much as GSP, but in the same universe at this point. Especially if Usman runs through Colby or puts on another thriller like the first fight.

Think he means for 170 GOAT discussion.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Post#123 » by jake_swivel » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:59 am

Susan wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:

Think he means for 170 GOAT discussion.

Yeah, I misread it. Sorry, Prez!
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,812

Post#124 » by Prez » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:01 am

jake_swivel wrote:

Oh definitely didn't mean them fighting now, Usman handles a near 40 year old GSP right now imo. I mean what would it take to make the 170 GOAT discussion a legitimate discussion.

But yeah Khabib vs Usman would be very interesting, I think Usman is just too much and would pick him but Khabib is an alien, can't count him out.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,431

Post#125 » by Susan » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:05 am

Let Jorge just fight Diazes and Colby to count his money from here on out.

I can't really think of a fighter who's leveled up so much AFTER getting the belt like Usman has...well besides Nunes. She's just pulled away in an insane way over the past few years.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#126 » by SichtingLives » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:07 am

Usman is as good as anyone in the sport right now and has been for a while. When you establish a legacy like GSP, it only grows in stature over time. The only thing Usman can do to get that level of respect (and honestly he prob never will no matter what he does) is continue to string together dominant performances over and over again until there's no one left for him to fight which isn't really that far away
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#127 » by Dupp » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:10 am

Jorge didn’t respect his power at all. At one stage in the firs he almost let him hit him with a right And brushed it off. In the end that lack of respect cost him
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,212

Post#128 » by brutalitops » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:46 am

SichtingLives wrote:Usman is as good as anyone in the sport right now and has been for a while. When you establish a legacy like GSP, it only grows in stature over time. The only thing Usman can do to get that level of respect (and honestly he prob never will no matter what he does) is continue to string together dominant performances over and over again until there's no one left for him to fight which isn't really that far away

There is Edwards again and Covington again, Then he's absolutely cleaned out the division. Does he move up? The size difference between divisions is insane however and for Usman who is at first a wrestler, is going to be wrestling some big middleweights in Whittaker/Costa/Brunson and I think Israel just sticks outside and kickboxes him just due to the massive size difference
xinxin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,371

UFC 261 - Usman vs Jorge, Rose vs Zhang, Schev vs Andrade 

Post#129 » by xinxin » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:33 am

Amare_1_Knicks wrote:I’m sorry, was the fix in just now ? In what world did Grant win ??

Yeah that’s a pure BS
Decision. Highway robbery

One of the few times my 3 bets for the main cards, all won. Like everyone here, didn’t expect it to be such a cake walk foe all 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dupp
RealGM

Post#130 » by Dupp » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:58 am

Nick Diaz coming back apparently
MystikSpiral
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#131 » by MystikSpiral » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:02 am

Man I just wish Kamaru Usman wasn't so unlikeable/unrelatable...You don't really know why, but you just don't like him. He shows no personality whatsoever, always appears like a bad actor trying to look tough. Tyron Woodley hit the nail on the head, when he was making fun of him for trying to sound like LL Cool J...Just be yourself, man...
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#132 » by Headliner » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:36 am

Probably get up into the 8+ range for title defences and then it’s legitimate debate.
If he gets up there and goes for the 185 title at some it’s even stronger.

They are definitely 1 and 2 though, and really like basketball and other sports it should generational goats.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#133 » by Headliner » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:37 am

Dupp wrote:Nick Diaz coming back apparently

Last win was 2011, I’m not excited
Dupp
RealGM

Post#134 » by Dupp » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:51 am

Headliner wrote:

Yeah, dumb suspension finished his career. I don’t mind if he comes
Back though it might be cool.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#135 » by Dupp » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:35 am

Just watched rose and Zhang again. So good.

Noticed just before round 1 started Zhang put her hand up as to say do you want to touch gloves at the start of the round and rose shook her head no. Never noticed this kind of communication at the start of a round but it must happen.

Like that she said no. I hate when they touch gloves at the start of rounds.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#136 » by Headliner » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:19 am

Dupp wrote:
Headliner wrote:

Yeah, dumb suspension finished his career. I don’t mind if he comes
Back though it might be cool.

I just can’t imagine he’s been working hard over that time. He’s 37 years old now, the last time he fought and won, he was 27.
If he comes back to fight like a 10th ranked guy Id be alright with it, but he wants title fights or A Jorge fight for example. That’s not going to end well for him.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#137 » by Headliner » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:27 am

ReasonablySober wrote:I loved Jorge until I heard him open his idiot mouth and campaign with Trump. He can get his ass whooped.

Never cared for him.
When he sucker punched Edwards back stage I lost respect. Then I think Jorge wouldn’t even sign to fight him. I still want to see that fight, I think edwards destroys him.
MystikSpiral
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#138 » by MystikSpiral » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:36 pm

I don't think he destroys masvidal. He didn't even destroy Cowboy...They are pretty similar in that both of them hardly have any wins over anybody in the top10....

I think it'd be a good fight...
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Post#139 » by jc23 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:04 pm

MystikSpiral wrote:Man I just wish Kamaru Usman wasn't so unlikeable/unrelatable...You don't really know why, but you just don't like him. He shows no personality whatsoever, always appears like a bad actor trying to look tough. Tyron Woodley hit the nail on the head, when he was making fun of him for trying to sound like LL Cool J...Just be yourself, man...

thats why i was pulling for Jorge, i like my champions with some charisma. If Usman had what Jorge has he would be making Connor type of money.
Be curious, Not judgmental
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,805

Post#140 » by jc23 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:05 pm

Like everyone else i let out a loud yell when Rose landed that head kick, so happy for her.
Be curious, Not judgmental

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts