Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,608

Re: 272 

Post#21 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Mar 6, 2022 5:23 am

Susan wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Moicano too tough for his own good in that fight

Really didn't need those last two rounds. Unprepared, 5 rounder against a freaking terminator and two 14 hour flights this week. Nobody is overcoming that.

Yup. It was clear he was outclassed tonight. No shame in that because like you said RDA is a freaking terminator. The last 2 rounds was just 10 more minutes of unneeded damage for Moicano.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#22 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Mar 6, 2022 5:30 am

I dont really see how Jorge comes away with a win tonight. I think he gets rag dolled for 25 minutes. Im feeling like a Colby vs Lawler 2.0 tonight.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#23 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Mar 6, 2022 6:20 am

Honestly think there are only 2 guys at 170 that is capable of beating Colby. Usman and Khamzat. The mix of wrestling, cardio, and pace is just too much for most fighters to handle. He just doesnt allow anyone to breathe, the second there is any kind of separation, he is throwing combos and he doesnt throw to hurt you, he throws to get you to step back into the fence and so he can get close. He's just a damn good fighter.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#24 » by Susan » Sun Mar 6, 2022 6:20 am

Dustin/Colby is a better fight. This one was always going to be a one way train.

Khazmat is comin boys, get outta the way.
Susan
RealGM

Post#25 » by Susan » Sun Mar 6, 2022 6:26 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Honestly think there are only 2 guys at 170 that is capable of beating Colby. Usman and Khamzat. The mix of wrestling, cardio, and pace is just too much for most fighters to handle. He just doesnt allow anyone to breathe, the second there is any kind of separation, he is throwing combos and he doesnt throw to hurt you, he throws to get you to step back into the fence and so he can get close. He's just a damn good fighter.

Burns/Luque/Leon are all interesting fights. Porier is a better fighter than Jorge and Colby would get touched more and spend less time on top against Dustin. That'll be a fun one.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#26 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Mar 6, 2022 6:32 am

Susan wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Honestly think there are only 2 guys at 170 that is capable of beating Colby. Usman and Khamzat. The mix of wrestling, cardio, and pace is just too much for most fighters to handle. He just doesnt allow anyone to breathe, the second there is any kind of separation, he is throwing combos and he doesnt throw to hurt you, he throws to get you to step back into the fence and so he can get close. He's just a damn good fighter.

Burns/Luque/Leon are all interesting fights. Porier is a better fighter than Jorge and Colby would get touched more and spend less time on top against Dustin. That'll be a fun one.

Burns would be the most interesting to me out of those. Curious how aggressive Colby would be trying to take Burns down, if he would try at all.

I also agree Dustin will be a better fight than what Jorge just put up. I still think Colby just outworks and out wrestles him in the end though.

But ya I dont think any of this really matters to be honest. I think Usman should enjoy the short time he has left as champ. Because I think Khamzat's next fight after 273 is going to be for the belt. And I think no one is slowly down Khamzat
Knightfall
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,047

Post#27 » by Knightfall » Sun Mar 6, 2022 6:48 am

Fairly recently started watching UFC after not watching in many years. Going back to black hotbox days of the originals. But I was watching Fake News swing and I was like he's not hurting anyone with those flurries. But after reading your comment that he uses it to move you back to the cage and grab you completely makes sense. I will say, someone with solid punching power is going to break his face again. He has that older George foreman face that swells up quick in the cheeks and sockets. Means quite a few times his face, not only his jaw, has been broken.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#28 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Mar 6, 2022 7:43 am

Knightfall wrote:

Fairly recently started watching UFC after not watching in many years. Going back to black hotbox days of the originals. But I was watching Fake News swing and I was like he's not hurting anyone with those flurries. But after reading your comment that he uses it to move you back to the cage and grab you completely makes sense. I will say, someone with solid punching power is going to break his face again. He has that older George foreman face that swells up quick in the cheeks and sockets. Means quite a few times his face, not only his jaw, has been broken.

No doubt he gets tagged. But I think its a combination of things he does which minimizes the amount of times he can get tagged with a good punch.

First thing first, with the pressure he brings youre going to be moving backwards. And you just dont have as much power moving backwards. Then you add your timing and rhythm is pretty shot going against him. Because again he just doesnt allow you to breath and youre not just countering strikes, youre countering strikes while also having the massive threat of a takedown. Then on top of that he is kind of egging guys on to take a big swing, because then he can get into better position to grab a hold of them to drag them to the mat. Then the final part to it all, he knows he's going to out cardio you. So he's going to drain your stamina so your punches will have less pop behind them and even if you do end up catching him, you just dont have the energy to follow up and you still have the thought of being taken down in the back of your mind.

With all that said, that is the main reason Usman is such a bad matchup for him. Usman can go toe to toe with his wrestling and Usman has a great gas tank himself. So a lot of Colby's strengths get nullified against Usman. And it just turns into there is a much better chance of Usman catching him before he catches Usman with real shots because he throws with actual pop behind his shots. I think a similar thing can happen with Burns, he may not be able to wrestle toe to toe with Colby, but he is so good with BJJ I dont think Colby will want to be grappling with him for half the match. But Burns usually has bad cardio so I think Colby will drain him that way.

Colby to me is in a weird situation for himself. His fighting style isnt really something that brings in new fans. I think MMA fans appreciate his style, but new fans dont. I think many casual fans find him boring. But the issue is, most MMA fans cant stand him because of his annoying schtick. So most casual fans find him boring, while the people who can appreciate his skills, just cant stand him haha.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,074
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#29 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun Mar 6, 2022 11:18 pm

Yea it’s hard to build a fanbase when you land 200+ punches from top position and leave barely a little bruise. I still wanna see Colby against Leon, Burns, etc. He’s lauded as the clear #2 guy without having to beat any of the other young contenders.

I think he’s only going to fight in gimmick fights by the time the Khamzat train is steamrolling in his direction.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#30 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Mar 7, 2022 1:31 am

Susan wrote:

The idea that Colby is the undisputed #2 at 170 (which everyone keeps saying) when he hasn't faced any of those 3...it's idiotic. His biggest win is RDA, which was a squeaker. Then, who? Tyron, in his last fight? Jorge? Lawler? There's more vigor in a geriatric ward.

Luque would be a great match.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#31 » by REDDzone » Mon Mar 7, 2022 4:02 pm

MMA fans have this weird thing where they hear something and just repeat it as fact ad nauseam. See examples like "Herb Dean is the best ref in MMA" for pretty much the perfect example. I think the Colby clear #2 thing was something Usman said to hype their second fight. Then Dana picked up on it, now its repeated as fact although there really isn't much evidence for the claim.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#32 » by REDDzone » Mon Mar 7, 2022 4:03 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
Susan wrote:

The idea that Colby is the undisputed #2 at 170 (which everyone keeps saying) when he hasn't faced any of those 3...it's idiotic. His biggest win is RDA, which was a squeaker. Then, who? Tyron, in his last fight? Jorge? Lawler? There's more vigor in a geriatric ward.

I agree with your overall point but I think I was most impressed with him leaving Maia in a pool of his own blood down in Brazil tbh.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#33 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Mar 7, 2022 6:10 pm

REDDzone wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:
Susan wrote:

I agree with your overall point but I think I was most impressed with him leaving Maia in a pool of his own blood down in Brazil tbh.

39-year-old Maia.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#34 » by REDDzone » Mon Mar 7, 2022 6:15 pm

Meh, with the exception of losing a decision in a title fight to Woodley, Maia was coming off a 3+ year winning streak at the time.
Susan
RealGM

Post#35 » by Susan » Mon Mar 7, 2022 6:29 pm

Luque finished Chiesa, Woodley, Randy Brown and Niko Price and then lost to Wonderboy

Burns - W Dec Wonderboy, L (KO) Usman, W Dec Woodley, W KO Maia, W Dec Gunnar Nelson

They all beat Maia, Colby did it earliest and imo most impressively, they all beat Woodley's corpse and Burns got KTFO by Usman in the 2nd and Colby barely lost that second fight and the first one was really close.

He's got the second best most recent resume out of all of them imo.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#36 » by High 5 » Tue Mar 8, 2022 12:39 am

Yeah I don't care for Colby at all, but I don't get the idea that there isn't a good reason people believe he is the 2nd best. He's given Usman his two toughest fights and he's basically Usman against everyone else.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#37 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Mar 8, 2022 1:17 am

Susan wrote:Luque finished Chiesa, Woodley, Randy Brown and Niko Price and then lost to Wonderboy

Burns - W Dec Wonderboy, L (KO) Usman, W Dec Woodley, W KO Maia, W Dec Gunnar Nelson

They all beat Maia, Colby did it earliest and imo most impressively, they all beat Woodley's corpse and Burns got KTFO by Usman in the 2nd and Colby barely lost that second fight and the first one was really close.

He didn't barely lose the second Usman fight, it was totally convincing. And he got finished in the first one.

Literally the most impressive fights he has had have been his two losses to Usman. It's actually impressive that he only lost that badly.

I want to see him face a young lion, for once, before considering him some sort of DC (DC at LHW), who would have dominated his era if it weren't for that *one guy*. Colby is starting to get that shine, like he'd rule the division if it weren't for Usman like DC would have ruled LHW if it weren't for Jones. That's nonsense. DC beat Gus, AJ twice...no one doubted that he would run through every other LHW. It was just Jones. Colby doesn't have that. He's a pick 'em in multiple fights.
Susan
RealGM

Post#38 » by Susan » Tue Mar 8, 2022 2:31 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
Susan wrote:Luque finished Chiesa, Woodley, Randy Brown and Niko Price and then lost to Wonderboy

He didn't barely lose the second Usman fight, it was totally convincing. And he got finished in the first one.

Literally the most impressive fights he has had have been his two losses to Usman. It's actually impressive that he only lost that badly.

I want to see him face a young lion, for once, before considering him some sort of DC (DC at LHW), who would have dominated his era if it weren't for that *one guy*. Colby is starting to get that shine, like he'd rule the division if it weren't for Usman like DC would have ruled LHW if it weren't for Jones. That's nonsense. DC beat Gus, AJ twice...no one doubted that he would run through every other LHW. It was just Jones. Colby doesn't have that. He's a pick 'em in multiple fights.

The entire division is weird.

-Woodley, Maia, Lawler and Wonderboy all fell off or are about to fully after really long reigns
-Till and Askren left
-RDA, Masvidal and Chiesa are all failed 155ers in some form or fashion so they don't have long resumes, and RDA left
-Barely any of Belal, Colby, Luque, Burns and Leon have faced each other
-Usman owns them all
-Chimaev is coming like a freight train

There's no *clear* #2 but IMO Colby is closest to claiming it, based on how he faced against Usman - but I also thought he looked slightly worse than expected against Jorge. I'd favor him against any of the top 5 guys but it's absolutely not like DC was in the period you're talking about.

We're arguing who's top between Shogun, Rampage, Machida and Rashad when in a few months, it won't matter. The division is about to change. The Wolf is coming.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#39 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Mar 8, 2022 3:02 am

Susan wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:

-Woodley, Maia, Lawler and Wonderboy all fell off or are about to fully after really long reigns
-Till and Askren left
-RDA, Masvidal and Chiesa are all failed 155ers in some form or fashion so they don't have long resumes, and RDA left
-Usman owns them all

There's no *clear* #2 but IMO Colby is closest to claiming it, based on how he faced against Usman - but I also thought he looked slightly worse than expected against Jorge. I'd favor him against any of the top 5 guys but it's absolutely not like DC was in the period you're talking about.

We're arguing who's top between Shogun, Rampage, Machida and Rashad when in a few months, it won't matter. The division is about to change. The Wolf is coming.

Really interesting point that Burns, Edwards, Colby, and Luque have not faced one another (ever?). That's nuts. The consensus 2-5...and no one's fought?

I basically agree with everything you said. Colby's skills are nuts. I'd slightly favor him to win against every one of those 4.

But it's not like DC. DC either beat or would have been a -400 favorite against every LHW contender from 2012 to today if it weren't for Jones. He would have run through Jan or Glover or Santos or that guy who just got KOd by Jiri. Colby is not *that* type of a perennial #2. He is not Mario Lemieux.
Susan
RealGM

Post#40 » by Susan » Tue Mar 8, 2022 4:24 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
Susan wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:

-Till and Askren left
-Usman owns them all

Really interesting point that Burns, Edwards, Colby, and Luque have not faced one another (ever?). That's nuts. The consensus 2-5...and no one's fought?

I basically agree with everything you said. Colby's skills are nuts. I'd slightly favor him to win against every one of those 4.

But it's not like DC. DC either beat or would have been a -400 favorite against every LHW contender from 2012 to today if it weren't for Jones. He would have run through Jan or Glover or Santos or that guy who just got KOd by Jiri. Colby is not *that* type of a perennial #2. He is not Mario Lemieux.

Edwards/Luque faced each other in 2017. If you add in Belal, he's only faced and lost to Luque in 2016.

I think Holland has potential to be in that tier.

Really, there's not much of a drop off in the next tier of fighters either - Chiesea, Geoff Neal, Magny are all really close to that grouping and the young guns - Khazmat, Sean Brady and the Kazakh dude are all coming up fast.

2-6 are all close and 15 is closer to 6 than normal.

That 205 grouping - Jones was clearly #1, DC #2, AJ/Gus and then Glover and a bunch of nobodies. Jones was miles ahead of Glover and both AJ and Gus wrecked Glover's ****. And now the old man is champ. This freakin sport.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts