Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,615

Re: Boxing Thread 5 

Post#41 » by Butch718 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:05 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
Butch718 wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:
I don't even know about the money thing. Are casuals excited about this x3 against GGG? It's going to be a strong PPV?

Then again, it's not like anyone outside of NYC/Texas knows Charlo...who hasn't fought a name (a name with under 9 syllables) in 6 years and is coming off exciting wins against...someone named Juan Macias Montiel (a UD lol) and Dennis Hogan and Bryan Adams.

Fight *neither* of these dudes.

GGG is still a bigger draw than anyone else at 168 or 160. It’s also an easier fight to sell and promote to the general public. That’s easy guaranteed money for Canelo.

I have heard a lot of even just moderate boxing fans bawk at it. And EVERY hardcore fan. *Everyone* who knows boxing hates this. I've seen some big names in the media say they wouldn't even bother watching it (like Shawn Porter).

If you lose every serious boxing fan, a significant number of casuals will follow. This isn't a Jake Paul fight where casuals might independently get into it because of personalities. These are two unbelievably boring dudes (out of the ring) and actual boxing fans do not want to see fight again. I don't think it will do numbers.

A fight against Benevidez would be bigger. Every PPV buyer, hardcore to casual, would get hyped for that. The violence of it would be nuts. Their combined highlights are a hellscape of dudes getting **** crushed.

lol casuals and hardcore boxing fans will watch this all the same. I’ve heard that **** about so many fights in the past. This fight is going to sell and I’d put money on how confident I am about that. People love to complain, but they end up watching dog **** anyway.

Also, for the record I do not want to see a third fight. I’d rather see Canelo vs Charlo or Benevidez. But to even suggest that either would outsell GGG is a biased POV based off one’s personal feelings. GGG is a proven attraction. Benevidez and Charlo do not have that name recognition outside of the boxing community. Sure fans like you and I know who these fighters are, but the general public really doesn’t. Neither had the HBO machine marketing them either, which GGG benefited from earlier in his career. Charlo should be a bigger name but PBC and Showtime’s machine is not as effective as HBO.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#42 » by Papi_swav » Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:12 pm

Ryan Garcia vs Tank Davis ? who ya got? Or Ryan vs Haney? I think Ryan Garcia loses both
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#43 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:59 am

Papi_swav wrote:Ryan Garcia vs Tank Davis ? who ya got? Or Ryan vs Haney? I think Ryan Garcia loses both

Yeah, he'd get tooled up. Does he seriously want those fights? I don't think he does.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#44 » by Butch718 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:24 am

Ryan loses against Tank, Teo, Haney, Loma or
any other serious contender.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#45 » by Papi_swav » Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:11 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Ryan Garcia vs Tank Davis ? who ya got? Or Ryan vs Haney? I think Ryan Garcia loses both

Yeah, he'd get tooled up. Does he seriously want those fights? I don't think he does.

i don't think so either. And de La Hoya is scared too
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,158

Post#46 » by Knickfan1982 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:01 pm

Butch718 wrote:Ryan loses against Tank, Teo, Haney, Loma or

I think he's got the natural gifts to be a threat but I wonder about his mental strength.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#47 » by Butch718 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:54 am

Knickfan1982 wrote:
Butch718 wrote:Ryan loses against Tank, Teo, Haney, Loma or

I think he's got the natural gifts to be a threat but I wonder about his mental strength.

He’d be lucky to be this generation’s Amir Khan.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#48 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:17 am

He does seem to be aggressively calling out Tank. Is it because he knows Tank's on some Haymon ****, and unwilling to take any risks? I actually tend to think Garcia is sincere. This is an aggressive bluff, otherwise.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#49 » by Butch718 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:32 am

AJ’s outburst was the boxing equivalent of Kanye/Swift. Just bizarre.
BlackThought
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Post#50 » by BlackThought » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:14 pm

Butch718 wrote:AJ’s outburst was the boxing equivalent of Kanye/Swift. Just bizarre.

I'm actually quite concerned about AJ. AJ has taken a lot of heavy shots to the head over the years. Took a huge punch from Wlad, got rocked by Whyte, and Ruiz flattened him. Hopefully he retires or at least take a year off and get some help.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by Knickfan1982 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:13 pm

Butch718 wrote:AJ’s outburst was the boxing equivalent of Kanye/Swift. Just bizarre.

They still plan on running him out this December. I imagine Derek Chisora gets the call. I honestly cannot believe they haven't fought already considering Chisora has pretty much fought every other top heavyweight.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#52 » by Butch718 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:17 pm

Bring on Usyk/Fury or Usyk/Wilder.

Need to see some fresh matchups.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by Knickfan1982 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:53 pm

Butch718 wrote:Bring on Usyk/Fury or Usyk/Wilder.

Need to see some fresh matchups.

Usyk probably boxes Wilder's ears off but if anyone has the power to change a fight with one punch its Deontay.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#54 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:22 pm

Usyk-Wilder is interesting cos of Wilder's right hand.

But Fury smushes Usyk. If orthodox, muscle-bound, finesse-less Joshua can pressure Usyk (like in round 9 on Saturday), Fury will finish him in 3.

It should happen. But I'm not that excited by any drama given that the outcome doesn't seem in doubt. Fury is so crafty, and has all the big man skills that Joshua lacks.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by Knickfan1982 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:17 pm

Anyone catch the Commey vs. Pedraza fight. I know the results but I DVRed it and want to make sure its not a stinker.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#56 » by Papi_swav » Mon Sep 5, 2022 4:36 am

Knickfan1982 wrote:Anyone catch the Commey vs. Pedraza fight. I know the results but I DVRed it and want to make sure its not a stinker.

I seen it , fell asleep in the 8th round, woke up and it was a draw. Boring boring fight, I think Commey actually won the fight. Don't even bother watching it, it was a stinker.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#57 » by Papi_swav » Mon Sep 5, 2022 4:40 am

Knickfan1982 wrote:

They still plan on running him out this December. I imagine Derek Chisora gets the call. I honestly cannot believe they haven't fought already considering Chisora has pretty much fought every other top heavyweight.

AJ and Wilder's promoters dropped the ball big time. They should of fought years ago before Ruiz spanked AJ. That was the big money fight! they both probably would of got a 100M each in that fight especially if they fought in London. Bro that would of been one of the biggest heavyweight fights that is must see TV. But AJ is trash, he's just big. And Wilder only has one punch. Whatever :roll:
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#58 » by Papi_swav » Mon Sep 5, 2022 4:41 am

Just finished the Ruiz-Ortiz fight. Great fight ! Ruiz is a warrior and I'm interested to who he'll fight next. Ortiz is a warrior too but dude is 43 years old.

Ohh and Isaac Cruz is a tough cookie. Dude will give anybody in the 135 division a tough fight. I hope he gets a rematch with Tank Davis but Tank is too scared. He will put on a good show no matter who he fights.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by Knickfan1982 » Mon Sep 5, 2022 12:27 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:

AJ and Wilder's promoters dropped the ball big time. They should of fought years ago before Ruiz spanked AJ. That was the big money fight! they both probably would of got a 100M each in that fight especially if they fought in London. Bro that would of been one of the biggest heavyweight fights that is must see TV. But AJ is trash, he's just big. And Wilder only has one punch. Whatever :roll:

Just one example of a million different instances in which egos get in the way of making the best fights happen. It would still be a big fight but it would pale in comparison to what it could have been. I think Wilder smashes Joshua to be honest. He just has the one punch as you said but the Fury fights shows he carries that power late into the fight. I think Fury is probably the only guy capable of taking that shot and getting back up.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,762

Post#60 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Wed Sep 7, 2022 11:45 pm

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts