Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,928

Re: OT: UFC 281 Adesanya vs Perreira 

Post#81 » by Reeko » Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:39 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:
Reeko wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:Lol yes and the overwhelming majority of those end in already concussed fighters (which he plainly was) knocked out cold. It was a very clear stoppage, moving on--

You must be new to MMA.
I have been training daily for more than a decade and I have been following the sport since the beginning of Pride. the fight is (very) well stopped ... at first it seemed premature, just watch the replay

I saw the replay, and I stand by what I said. I'm not saying it was egregious or a flat out early stoppage, just a tad early and I would have liked to have seen Izzy given a bit longer to see if he could get out of there and survive the onslaught. He looked out of it, yes, but he was still on his feet and trying to weave. Context matters here, this is a title fight and one of the longest reigning champions is defending his belt, and I've seen less important fights, with fighters looking way more out of it than Izzy, be allowed to continue. People wanna talk about "Oh the ref saved him from CTE", like what? He's a professional MMA fighter that was a professional kick boxer, he has probably already been concussed more times than he can count, CTE was already a possibility long before the 5th round of that fight.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,250

Post#82 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:46 pm

Reeko wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:
Reeko wrote:I'm not surprised that Alex's power overwhelmed Izzy. I thought the stoppage was a tad premature though.

Premature for significant CTE only. Once he was incapable of defense the ref gave him his chance until he took another hit to the face. It is highly dangerous/irresponsible to let it continue, he was about to take devastating damage.

Izzy is the more skilled fighter, but Pereira maintains his decade long ownage of him.

I'm thrilled to have an entertaining middleweight at the helm personally.

We've seen worse be allowed to continue. I thought Izzy had a chance at weathering the storm, not a great chance but a chance none the less.

Perreira's going to have to really shore up his wrestling/grappling, because Izzy was able to control him on the ground for streches. And if Izzy can do it, then you know there are wrestlers licking their chops just waiting for their shot so that they can employ the lay and pray strategy.

Nah. He was looking at the floor and his arms were down. He was not protecting himself and could not see where the punches were coming from. How was he supposed to recover? Perreira was going to empty the tank right there. Watch it again.
Kingdibs19
Starter
And1: 3,615

Post#83 » by Kingdibs19 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:56 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:MMA isn't Mortal Kombat. You do not have to get knocked down to get TKO'd.

Lol guy had his arms down and getting tee’d off on and dudes talking about it’s a tad early. Sounds like y’all wanna see the man unconscious before you think the ref should stop it.

Love how guys always respond in mma disagreements with “oh you must be new to watching mma” or “oh you must have never been in fight”, yeah ok champ.

It was a great yet obvious call by the ref, Izzy should send him a thank you letter for saving him brain cells.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#84 » by Reeko » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:01 pm

Kingdibs19 wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:MMA isn't Mortal Kombat. You do not have to get knocked down to get TKO'd.

Lol guy had his arms down and getting tee’d off on and dudes talking about it’s a tad early. Sounds like y’all wanna see the man unconscious before you think the ref should stop it.

Love how guys always respond in mma disagreements with “oh you must be new to watching mma” or “oh you must have never been in fight”, yeah ok champ.

It was a great yet obvious call by the ref, Izzy should send him a thank you letter for saving him brain cells.

Sounds like we wanted to see a champion who was clearly ahead on the score cards be given a chance to regain his composure, regardless of the likely outcome.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,094

Post#85 » by Dirk » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:08 pm

Someone please explain this topic in nba terms for those of us who have no clue about ufc.
60/21/10
FreeThrowLine
Veteran
And1: 4,274

Post#86 » by FreeThrowLine » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:13 pm

Dirk wrote:Someone please explain this topic in nba terms for those of us who have no clue about ufc.

With regards to the ref stopping the fight?

It would be like a team being up by 12 with 1 minute to play and the ref forcing the team that’s down to bring in the end of bench guys.

Very unlikely they could have come back and won, not entirely impossible but unlikely
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#87 » by Mike lorenzo » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:18 pm

Reeko wrote:
Kingdibs19 wrote:

Sounds like we wanted to see a champion who was clearly ahead on the score cards be given a chance to regain his composure, regardless of the likely outcome.

I understand the curiosity and the curiosity (I also had it)... but let's not forget that this is called sport after all... and preserving health as much as possible should be the number 1 priority... except for me, arms down and eyes blank is enough...
1+1=11
Kingdibs19
Starter

Post#88 » by Kingdibs19 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:22 pm

Reeko wrote:
Kingdibs19 wrote:

Guess champs need to be flatlined ice-cold before the ref should call it.

Izzy wasn’t blocking, wasn’t looking, wasn’t defending himself.

Good thing those saying “early stoppage” are only armchair refs.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,250

Post#89 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:30 pm

Reeko wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:
Reeko wrote:You must be new to MMA.
I have been training daily for more than a decade and I have been following the sport since the beginning of Pride. the fight is (very) well stopped ... at first it seemed premature, just watch the replay

I saw the replay, and I stand by what I said. I'm not saying it was egregious or a flat out early stoppage, just a tad early and I would have liked to have seen Izzy given a bit longer to see if he could get out of there and survive the onslaught. He looked out of it, yes, but he was still on his feet and trying to weave. Context matters here, this is a title fight and one of the longest reigning champions is defending his belt, and I've seen less important fights, with fighters looking way more out of it than Izzy, be allowed to continue. People wanna talk about "Oh the ref saved him from CTE", like what? He's a professional MMA fighter that was a professional kick boxer, he has probably already been concussed more times than he can count, CTE was already a possibility long before the 5th round of that fight.

Like you are saying, Context matters here. He was looking at the floor, his arms were down, and he was not defending. The important context here is that it was Perreira hitting him.

Look at his power and tell me again Isreal was surviving the slaughter that was coming to him.

4:30

2:40

Kingdibs19
Starter

Post#90 » by Kingdibs19 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:39 pm

eArLy sToPpAgE, yOu MuSt bE nEw tO mMa
BoatsNZones
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,291

Post#91 » by BoatsNZones » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:39 pm

Reeko wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:
Reeko wrote:We've seen worse be allowed to continue. I thought Izzy had a chance at weathering the storm, not a great chance but a chance none the less.

Perreira's going to have to really shore up his wrestling/grappling, because Izzy was able to control him on the ground for streches. And if Izzy can do it, then you know there are wrestlers licking their chops just waiting for their shot so that they can employ the lay and pray strategy.

Lol yes and the overwhelming majority of those end in already concussed fighters (which he plainly was) knocked out cold. It was a very clear stoppage, moving on--

You must be new to MMA.

Funny, I was positive the same was true about you being how standard it was. That or you’re an Izzy fan/had a bet.

Regardless, you definitely have no case that the fight should have continued, regardless of past mistakes by officials.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#92 » by Reeko » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:44 pm

BoatsNZones wrote:
Reeko wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:Lol yes and the overwhelming majority of those end in already concussed fighters (which he plainly was) knocked out cold. It was a very clear stoppage, moving on--

You must be new to MMA.

Funny, I was positive the same was true about you being how standard it was. That or you’re an Izzy fan/had a bet.

Regardless, you definitely have no case that the fight should have continued, regardless of past mistakes by officials.

Been watching MMA since '03, I don't gamble and I was glad Izzy lost.
BoatsNZones
Lead Assistant

Post#93 » by BoatsNZones » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:45 pm

FreeThrowLine wrote:
Dirk wrote:Someone please explain this topic in nba terms for those of us who have no clue about ufc.

It would be like a team being up by 12 with 1 minute to play and the ref forcing the team that’s down to bring in the end of bench guys.

Very unlikely they could have come back and won, not entirely impossible but unlikely

*But the starters are playing 1 on 4, and if they lose by 15 they have to run head first into a brick wall as punishment.
BoatsNZones
Lead Assistant

Post#94 » by BoatsNZones » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:47 pm

Reeko wrote:
BoatsNZones wrote:

Been watching MMA since '03, I don't gamble and I was glad Izzy lost.

Gotcha. Well I’ve got you by a decade there, do bet on fights and was also glad Izzy lost. Doesn’t mean I want him to suffer more brain damage in the fight though.
Lunartic
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,285

Post#95 » by Lunartic » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:58 pm

Good stoppage, fun fight.

Glad to see Izzy get KO'd, stalked to an entirely different sport, hunted down, given just a glimmer of hope of winning the fight against a gassed Perreira and then TKO'd.

Anytime Izzy has fought a guy that matched/exceeds his physical advantages, he loses. Jan and Perreira both had similar reach and were stronger than him and he lost to both.

All this talk about moving up to LHW is just sad, he would probably lose to most of the top-5 and even some of the top-10, no double champ for him unless he actually bulks up, his power is questionable.

Jiri
Jan
Hill
Ankaleav
Rakic (maybe)
Spann

All would beat him
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,364

Post#96 » by CptCrunch » Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:09 pm

FreeThrowLine wrote:

More like down 20
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#97 » by hyper316 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:12 pm

Reeko wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:

That's a strange argument, should each ref review and consider a fighter's medical history and adjust accordingly? What you are saying on the flip side is that a brand new fighter with no concussions shouldnt be allowed to continued for their own sake?
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#98 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:17 pm

Reeko wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:

You're asking if people are new yet you're talking like you've never seen a standing TKO.

He should be given a chance because of context? He was! The referee let Alex beat his ass. That's why the fight was stopped.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,745

Post#99 » by VanWest82 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:38 pm

This at least makes the division more interesting. They’ll rematch but there are some guys in middleweight who’d rag doll Pereira on the ground.

Speaking of getting ragdolled, How did Dustin come back from that?
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#100 » by Reeko » Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:53 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Reeko wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:I have been training daily for more than a decade and I have been following the sport since the beginning of Pride. the fight is (very) well stopped ... at first it seemed premature, just watch the replay

You're asking if people are new yet you're talking like you've never seen a standing TKO.

He should be given a chance because of context? He was! The referee let Alex beat his ass. That's why the fight was stopped.

Most guys who are stopped while standing are either shelled up and not fighting back or trying to avoid the blows at all, or they’re being pummeled to the point where it’s only the opponents punches that are keeping them from falling. Look at the replay, Izzy manages to slip 2 of Perreira’s last 3 punches.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts