WWE SmackDown Discussion II

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,927

Re: WWE SmackDown Discussion II 

Post#1421 » by tugs » Sat Oct 5, 2019 1:21 am

Oh my bad to everyone who responded to my post. Well I'm just being a devil's advocate, preparing myself if they decide to rehash the feud and push Roman again once Brock transfers to Friday night (if he wins the Title that is).

Hope not.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#1422 » by Scott Hall » Sat Oct 5, 2019 1:23 am

This great FOX production is like putting lipstick on a pig with this current crappy WWE product
Picasso
Rookie
And1: 896

Post#1423 » by Picasso » Sat Oct 5, 2019 1:28 am

Scott Hall wrote:This great FOX production is like putting lipstick on a pig with this current crappy WWE product

I think it will be better and more clear after the draft.
I had to jump off the boat to walk on water.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 30,131

Post#1424 » by Dominator83 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:11 am

Velasquez was a nice "Lex Lugar" moment there.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,338

Post#1425 » by Stannis » Sat Oct 5, 2019 2:34 am

Haven't watched in a Loooong time. I tuned in b/c it was the Fox Premiere but must say it was a chit show.

How many times are they going to recycle this Brock Lesnar storyline? We know he only loses when he has a UFC fight lined up. And he returns as a monster who does the unthinkable (defeats Undertaker, hits Cena with 6 F5s, and now beats Kofi in 3 seconds). So dumb.

Wont tune in again
Free Palestine
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#1426 » by iMoreland » Sat Oct 5, 2019 3:25 am

Brock goat. Good booking too, Kofi shouldn't of standed a chance against him.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant

Post#1427 » by iMoreland » Sat Oct 5, 2019 3:25 am

Stannis wrote:Haven't watched in a Loooong time. I tuned in b/c it was the Fox Premiere but must say it was a chit show.

How many times are they going to recycle this Brock Lesnar storyline? We know he only loses when he has a UFC fight lined up. And he returns as a monster who does the unthinkable (defeats Undertaker, hits Cena with 6 F5s, and now beats Kofi in 3 seconds). So dumb.

Wont tune in again

He lost to Seth twice this year, with no UFC fights lined up
Shemy
Head Coach
And1: 460

Post#1428 » by Shemy » Sat Oct 5, 2019 3:40 am

they couldnt even give kofi one offensive maneuver lol
"They scared now"
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,927

Post#1429 » by tugs » Sat Oct 5, 2019 3:51 am

Made sense for me. Brock went with the Goldberg strategy plus Kofi was too eager ala Punk.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#1430 » by Spens1 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 3:53 am

First of all

H U F

Now onto the show.

I'm kind of glad that Kingston is no longer champ (it was time)but 1, 5 seconds, are you really going to bury him like that (at least give him 10 minutes of putting up a fight) and 2. hotshotting Cain into the main event like that, i'm kind of sad we're not getting him in AEW and therefore, AAA to see the good lucha things he's been up to for them and also, Riddle's been here all this time, please do something with him other than NXT. I personally liked the crossover, but that's cause i watch MMA and UFC, would a WWE or wrestling fan really care or know who Cain is. Its also been a decade since then. Also, the last thing wwe needs, on top of all their problems creatively, is to go down the inokism path :lol:

Kind of rolled my eyes at the rock segment, like really, we're going to do the whole wrestlemania shtick, i don't even like Corbin at all (i think he's rubbish)

Also i believe Stone Cold was advertised, where was he for this?

The only bright spot was Shane vs Owens, one, cause it was well done, two, cause the hell that is the mcmahon family all over tv (shane in particular) hopefully is over. That family needs to stay the hell off of their own program forever, this ain't 1998 anymore and Vince isn't what he used to be. Now, put Owens in a title program with Brock straight after this.

The ratings for this should be good but after a bad show (i'm sorry, this was the worst of the lot this week), how many people will want to tune in again next week.

Also, i love me some acca dacca but out of all of the songs from their library, why that one, why.

edit: this show did a better job of advertising AEW than even TNT has managed in the last month (and they've done a very good job at promoting it). This i could buy being a Bischoff show, i really could.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,344

Post#1431 » by jakecronus8 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 4:29 am

Absolutely disgusting how they did Kingston. I was not a fan of his title run, but he deserved at the very least a 10 minute match. Disrespectful to say the least. Cut the lame opening segment by 5 minutes and dump the 8 man tag. Easily done.

I thought the pop or really lack of pop for Velasquez was fitting. While they have a decent built in storyline with their history, the belt doesn’t need to be involved and Cain doesn’t have the big name that will get casuals tuned in.
Do it for Chuck
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#1432 » by Scott Hall » Sat Oct 5, 2019 1:31 pm

I wonder if they were short on time so they had to cut the match short also where was all the other legend appearances
they promised like Sting, Taker and Austin?

That world tittle match reminded me of when Diesel beat Bob Backlund in seconds for the tittle at that MSG house show
days after the 1994 Survivor Series.

FOX has supposedly wanted them to be more Sports oriented so I wonder if that's the reason behind the Tyson Fury and
Cain Velasquez signings. Brock vs. Mysterio is a fresh feud but no one would buy into Mysterio beating him so adding Velasquez
as Mysterios muscle is a nice twist.

The Rock segment did nothing for me was the same old recycled promo don't think anyone is actually gonna be chanting
"std" at Corbin going forward. Becky really didn't belong or hold her own in the segment.

The ladder match was underwhelming like this entire recycled KO vs. Shane feud please for the love of god let this be
the end of it. This feud ended up dropping KO's stock instead of elevating it and Shane has "go away" heat.

Kofi like Seth Rollins and Becky Lynch and Bayley as world champion did nothing for me
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,063

Post#1433 » by Stanford » Sat Oct 5, 2019 4:37 pm

SD! rated behind Hawaii Five-O and Magnum PI, which are apparently shows producing new episodes in 2019 (???), reinforcing why I don't give a **** about TV ratings.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,255

Post#1434 » by LLJ » Sat Oct 5, 2019 4:51 pm

Didn't watch, but did catch the entire Kofi match in a gif lol.

While Kofi's reign did go too long imo (I didn't mind him winning it but he should have dropped it months ago), this squash is another example of the WWE booking only for "the moment" and without any regard for the overarching perception of the product among fans. Kofi beat Bryan, Orton, AJ, Joe during this reign and then drops it in 5 seconds to Brock. Regardless of the justification ("in real fights something that happens") it's just a further example of the WWE making their current roster look like jokes when all is said and done. Nobody is really protected anymore like their biggest stars in the past, that's why it's hard to imagine ANYONE on this roster ever becoming as big as those AE and pre-AE stars in the future. They could have had Kofi mount SOME offense and go down better.

When they have nostalgia shows 10 years from now, are Seth, Kofi, AJ really going to have the same cache as when they roll out Rock, Stone Cold, HBK, HHH, etc,?
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#1435 » by Dominator83 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 9:21 pm

Yea i pretty much echo what everyone else is saying. Its terrible for business to have buried Kofi like that after having invested all that time into him. I wouldn't have given Brock the belt either. I would have given those guys a 15 minute match, then have Cain walk out, which would distract Brock and Kofi get the W that way. Then maybe have Kofi at a later date, drop the belt to someone else, like the Fiend or something (he can lose to Seth tomorrow night, then get drafted to SD). Brock and cain can have a good feud without the belt being involved.

Also, as mentioned above, its gonna suck when WWE doesn't use Cain to his strengths. They''ll probably just have him do the shoot fighting stuff, when they should market him as a five tool type of guy that can both throw hands and grapple, AND do the high flying lucha libre stuff. You can have him wrestle different styles based on who hes feuding with too. Too bad its WWE writing so you know that won't be utilized

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,344

Post#1436 » by jakecronus8 » Sat Oct 5, 2019 9:35 pm

Why does Cain have Baron Corbin’s 2015 physique?
Do it for Chuck
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#1437 » by Spens1 » Sun Oct 6, 2019 3:51 am

Smackdown's demo ratings are fantastic, they rated #1 on the night amongst 18-49 (in fact, the only reason they lost is because a lot of the 50+ crowd decided to watch Magnum PI and Blue Bloods. I mean the show peaked at 4.2 mill for that rock segment as well, now they can't do that every week but Brock vs Cain as a main program should draw well enough if booked right and they're clearly going for a more casual audience now (Inokiist Smackdown could be fun in a way as well). I kind of hope they go for the MMA route, at least it is an identity if they can bring over the personalities (Lynch being the main one i can think of provided she loses the title) and fighters (bring over Strowman, bring up O'Reilly, Kushida and Riddle who have MMA backgrounds). Raw is going to be what raw is, but smackdown hopefully will be a bit different (please, for everyone's sakes, it needs to at least get out of this stale WWE mould).

Much like AEW and their great numbers, lets wait and see but i will say they should be above 3 mill for a while. I wonder how the draft will go however (cause i can see a lot of guys like Mustafa Ali, The New Day and some of the more traditional wrestling acts being moved to raw and maybe some of the larger than life characters and guys with fighting backgrounds and the hosses move to smackdown (Strowman, Roman, Cesaro, Lashley even). .
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#1438 » by Dominator83 » Sun Oct 6, 2019 10:37 pm

Spens1 wrote:Smackdown's demo ratings are fantastic, they rated #1 on the night amongst 18-49 (in fact, the only reason they lost is because a lot of the 50+ crowd decided to watch Magnum PI and Blue Bloods. I mean the show peaked at 4.2 mill for that rock segment as well, now they can't do that every week but Brock vs Cain as a main program should draw well enough if booked right and they're clearly going for a more casual audience now (Inokiist Smackdown could be fun in a way as well). I kind of hope they go for the MMA route, at least it is an identity if they can bring over the personalities (Lynch being the main one i can think of provided she loses the title) and fighters (bring over Strowman, bring up O'Reilly, Kushida and Riddle who have MMA backgrounds). Raw is going to be what raw is, but smackdown hopefully will be a bit different (please, for everyone's sakes, it needs to at least get out of this stale WWE mould).

Much like AEW and their great numbers, lets wait and see but i will say they should be above 3 mill for a while. I wonder how the draft will go however (cause i can see a lot of guys like Mustafa Ali, The New Day and some of the more traditional wrestling acts being moved to raw and maybe some of the larger than life characters and guys with fighting backgrounds and the hosses move to smackdown (Strowman, Roman, Cesaro, Lashley even). .

Exactly. It's needs an identity makeover. Not more of the same

Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#1439 » by Scott Hall » Tue Oct 8, 2019 1:36 am

Read on Twitter
iMoreland
Lead Assistant

Post#1440 » by iMoreland » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:26 am

Draft predictions? I think
Spoiler:
Edge is gonna get drafted, most likely to SmackDown. Set up a return match at Crown Jewel vs Elias or someone who can take the L. Then have 1 more WrestleMania match where he puts someone over.

Return to Pro Wrestling