NJPW Thread (New Japan Pro Wrestling)

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Re: NJPW Thread (New Japan Pro Wrestling) 

Post#221 » by Spens1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:43 am

jr lucosa wrote:I haven't been able to watch the rest of the show yet, but enjoyed Jericho's match and am excited for what's in the plans for him here

yeah it will be interesting to see where this feud with Naito will go.

Hopefully after this we get a Jericho vs Tanahashi feud also.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#222 » by Spens1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:47 am

with War Machine in WWE now, how many heavyweight tag teams are left in New Japan, that division is beyond stuffed, they need tag teams pronto (or else they're stuck with Sanada & EVIL vs GOD or worse, vs KES).
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#223 » by improper » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:31 am

Spens1 wrote:with War Machine in WWE now, how many heavyweight tag teams are left in New Japan, that division is beyond stuffed, they need tag teams pronto (or else they're stuck with Sanada & EVIL vs GOD or worse, vs KES).

Meanwhile, WWE has a ton of great tag teams and doesn't seem to have anything for them to do.

I'd love to see Revival get released so they could go to NJPW. They'd kill it there, whereas on Raw they're probably just going to be jobbing to legends and not given much else to do.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#224 » by Spens1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:57 am

improper wrote:
Spens1 wrote:with War Machine in WWE now, how many heavyweight tag teams are left in New Japan, that division is beyond stuffed, they need tag teams pronto (or else they're stuck with Sanada & EVIL vs GOD or worse, vs KES).

Meanwhile, WWE has a ton of great tag teams and doesn't seem to have anything for them to do.

I'd love to see Revival get released so they could go to NJPW. They'd kill it there, whereas on Raw they're probably just going to be jobbing to legends and not given much else to do.

They have life still, but if they continue to flounder, absolutely they'd be the top tag team in japan and quickly too (not sure which faction they'd be in, CHAOS i suppose).
Spens1
RealGM

Post#225 » by Spens1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:00 am

also New Japan announces Australia tour, but don't come to Brisbane......

well they can **** off and all then. So irritating (seriously, they're going to Perth and Adelaide and not Brisbane, what is this). I would have been ok with the Gold Coast to be honest (given the big japanese population) but they couldn't even be bothered putting a show there. Also it means the northern half of the country gets completely ignored and the Australian tour is basically a Southern Australia tour only.

Would have bought my tickets in a second to go to a new japan show but honestly, i'm probably giving the tour a miss, maybe next time they come here they (and destroythelines the plebs) can book a tour properly and do all 5 capital cities (or at least get a gold coast date).
Spens1
RealGM

Post#226 » by Spens1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:34 am

So apparently Goldberg may be making some new japan appearances If the Meltz is to be believed.

Spoiler:
I don’t expect anything to happen right now, given Bill Goldberg is going into the WWE Hall of Fame and usually that requires signing a short-term deal, but he was in talks with New Japan about coming in for big shows.

Goldberg vs Kitamura I think would be a good matchup (mainly cause i don't think Goldberg fits with anyone else), make it a 5-10 minute slobberknocker and call it a day.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#227 » by improper » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:07 pm

Spens1 wrote:So apparently Goldberg may be making some new japan appearances If the Meltz is to be believed.

Spoiler:
I don’t expect anything to happen right now, given Bill Goldberg is going into the WWE Hall of Fame and usually that requires signing a short-term deal, but he was in talks with New Japan about coming in for big shows.

Goldberg vs Kitamura I think would be a good matchup (mainly cause i don't think Goldberg fits with anyone else), make it a 5-10 minute slobberknocker and call it a day.

His final match with Lesnar was surprisingly good, but it was also booked pretty much perfectly. The main issue was that the run up to that match was just so terrible. Having him take the title off of Owens was just a terrible call after Owens and Jericho carried Raw for months. The world title match really should have been Owens/Jericho, with Jericho putting over Owens on his way out. Brock and Goldberg never needed the title. They could have had Brock take it from Owens later if that was the way they wanted to go. Hell, that could have been a great Summerslam main event, especially if they let them have an actual match like Styles/Lesnar instead of the squash KO took from Lesnar at a house show.

At any rate, it seems like Goldberg can work a good five minute match with the right booking. I wouldn't trust him going much longer than that, though, as even in his prime he wasn't good at anything other than short matches.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#228 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:59 pm

I wouldn't assume Goldberg has another good 5 minute match in him, and I would have no interest in finding out.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#229 » by improper » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:21 pm

Ruzious wrote:I wouldn't assume Goldberg has another good 5 minute match in him, and I would have no interest in finding out.

I think it would take the right opponent and damn near perfect booking, so I guess I'd trust NJPW to pull it off before WWE doing it again.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#230 » by WRau1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:50 am

I thought Goldberg going into the WWE HOF put an end to the NJPW talks?
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#231 » by improper » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:08 am

WRau1 wrote:I thought Goldberg going into the WWE HOF put an end to the NJPW talks?

I mean, Jericho is actively wrestling in NJPW right now and he's a surefire HOFer. I don't think it really matters much if he goes over there for one match or something just to do it.
WRau1
RealGM

Post#232 » by WRau1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:29 pm

improper wrote:
WRau1 wrote:I thought Goldberg going into the WWE HOF put an end to the NJPW talks?

I mean, Jericho is actively wrestling in NJPW right now and he's a surefire HOFer. I don't think it really matters much if he goes over there for one match or something just to do it.

The idea would be Goldberg signed a modified legends contract, mainly due to NJPWs interest.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#233 » by improper » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:26 pm

WRau1 wrote:The idea would be Goldberg signed a modified legends contract, mainly due to NJPWs interest.

Are legends exempt from wrestling or appearing with other promotions? Not really sure how those contracts work.
WRau1
RealGM

Post#234 » by WRau1 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:22 pm

improper wrote:
WRau1 wrote:The idea would be Goldberg signed a modified legends contract, mainly due to NJPWs interest.

Are legends exempt from wrestling or appearing with other promotions? Not really sure how those contracts work.

Normally it's for licensing of new products and using the legends name. Bret Hart didn't sign one because he said you have to clear all appearances with the WWE. I would imagine that would be the same for Goldberg and the WWE would be paying him significantly more than normal.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Spens1
RealGM

Post#235 » by Spens1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:42 am

WRau1 wrote:
improper wrote:

Normally it's for licensing of new products and using the legends name. Bret Hart didn't sign one because he said you have to clear all appearances with the WWE. I would imagine that would be the same for Goldberg and the WWE would be paying him significantly more than normal.

they'd probably let him work for new japan anyway. I mean if they cleared Jericho i'd imagine they'd clear Goldberg for a show, he could still do mania regardless.
WRau1
RealGM

Post#236 » by WRau1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:56 am

Spens1 wrote:
WRau1 wrote:
improper wrote:

they'd probably let him work for new japan anyway. I mean if they cleared Jericho i'd imagine they'd clear Goldberg for a show, he could still do mania regardless.

Except Jericho isn't under contract with the WWE.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Spens1
RealGM

Post#237 » by Spens1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:02 am

WRau1 wrote:
Spens1 wrote:
WRau1 wrote:

neither is goldberg for now but i'd imagine it would be a similar deal where Goldberg could make appearances for both.
WRau1
RealGM

Post#238 » by WRau1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:41 pm

Spens1 wrote:
WRau1 wrote:
Spens1 wrote:

neither is goldberg for now but i'd imagine it would be a similar deal where Goldberg could make appearances for both.

I don't think there's any chance the WWE let's Goldberg work NJPW while under contract. Not with how hot NJPW is right now and their American dojo inc. Who knows, though. They've let similar things happen before.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Spens1
RealGM

Post#239 » by Spens1 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:55 pm

WRau1 wrote:
Spens1 wrote:
WRau1 wrote:

I don't think there's any chance the WWE let's Goldberg work NJPW while under contract. Not with how hot NJPW is right now and their American dojo inc. Who knows, though. They've let similar things happen before.

But WWE can't exactly do anything if they're not offering him a mania payday. They'll have to sort out a match for him on the card and quiet frankly, WWE shouldn't be booking him on that card, they should be focusing on actually building some stars.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#240 » by improper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:58 pm

Spens1 wrote:they should be focusing on actually building some stars.

Return to Pro Wrestling