Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,136

Re: NXT Thread III 

Post#41 » by Stanford » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:55 am

iMoreland wrote:Becky, Charlotte, Seth

Then no, I don't think any of those three could reach the level of Becky, Charlotte or Seth.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#42 » by improper » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:30 am

I think there are tons of NXT guys who could have been stars on Raw/Smackdown, but they seemingly intentionally book these guys to fail.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#43 » by Marcus » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:16 pm

Finally got around to finishing the last episode. Great main event match and loved the Balor heel turn. Very well done and does an excellent job of setting the pecking order for Cole's belt whilst furthering the UE initiative and heeling up Cole's title run by taking away the seemingly unbeatable odds of having to deal with Gargano, Ciampa, and Balor.

Also IRT Adam Cole, that kid is absolute gold. Even the most simplistic things are executed perfectly. His proud papa expression of Roddy's win and how well it translated into the leader of the jocks taking pride of one of his cronies making him look good, and then how easily he slipped into the background of UE once Ciampa stepped into the ring. Wasn't told to be protected by the camp, just naturally faded back like "you guys know what to do". The guy is great. So good with his execution of his character.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#44 » by Marcus » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:21 pm

improper wrote:I think there are tons of NXT guys who could have been stars on Raw/Smackdown, but they seemingly intentionally book these guys to fail.

I think some of the guys while talented overall, have characters that don't completely translate main stage wise. Sucks to say but a good majority of the main stage fanbase aren't cult following fans. I think the small room crowds are which is why a Tyler Breeze can do so well in NXT then flounder on the bigger shows.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#45 » by improper » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:22 pm

Marcus wrote:I think some of the guys while talented overall, have characters that don't completely translate main stage wise. Sucks to say but a good majority of the main stage fanbase aren't cult following fans. I think the small room crowds are which is why a Tyler Breeze can do so well in NXT then flounder on the bigger shows.

Yeah but no one expected Breeze to be anything more than a mid-card act at best on the main roster. It's not like we were sitting around saying, "Man, Breeze is a future world champ." He just doesn't have that it factor that some of the other guys in NXT clearly do, but he's a really good comedy act with an IC/US Title ceiling.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#46 » by Marcus » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:31 pm

improper wrote:
Marcus wrote:I think some of the guys while talented overall, have characters that don't completely translate main stage wise. Sucks to say but a good majority of the main stage fanbase aren't cult following fans. I think the small room crowds are which is why a Tyler Breeze can do so well in NXT then flounder on the bigger shows.

Yeah but no one expected Breeze to be anything more than a mid-card act at best on the main roster. It's not like we were sitting around saying, "Man, Breeze is a future world champ." He just doesn't have that it factor that some of the other guys in NXT clearly do, but he's a really good comedy act with an IC/US Title ceiling.

which IT factor talents do you think didn't get their fair shake?
Watch More Basketball

improper
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by improper » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:38 pm

Marcus wrote:which IT factor talents do you think didn't get their fair shake?

Zayn for sure. I think he's one of the best wrestlers in the world and he's proven the past year or two that he's a great promo to boot and can be an excellent heel. He should be a top star in the promotion right now. Instead, he's just another guy and he's never really gotten any kind of significant push in like four or five years, which is nuts.

Owens to a lesser extent. I know he got the Universal Title reign, but he got booked like a f*cking loser during the entire time he held the belt, with Jericho always having to help him to win. And then he lost the belt like a chump and I don't think he ever even got a rematch. He's been treading water since. He should be a multi-time WWE world champ by now.

Finn Balor. Was the first ever Universal champion, got hurt, and then they never did anything with him. Now he's back in NXT and instantly a top guy like he should be.

Andrade Almas. They took away his full name and he's basically been a nobody during his main roster run.

Shinsuke Nakamura. They should have put the belt on him at 'Mania. Yeah, he won the Rumble, but he's been dead in the water since he failed to follow up and win the world title.

There are probably several more, but those are just off the top of my head. I think all those guys could be world champs on the main roster with good booking. If we're being honest, just about anyone on the roster could be a world champ with good booking. Of course, the main roster doesn't have good booking, so the point is moot.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#48 » by Marcus » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:50 pm

improper wrote:
Marcus wrote:which IT factor talents do you think didn't get their fair shake?

Zayn for sure. I think he's one of the best wrestlers in the world and he's proven the past year or two that he's a great promo to boot and can be an excellent heel. He should be a top star in the promotion right now. Instead, he's just another guy and he's never really gotten any kind of significant push in like four or five years, which is nuts.

Owens to a lesser extent. I know he got the Universal Title reign, but he got booked like a f*cking loser during the entire time he held the belt, with Jericho always having to help him to win. And then he lost the belt like a chump and I don't think he ever even got a rematch. He's been treading water since. He should be a multi-time WWE world champ by now.

Finn Balor. Was the first ever Universal champion, got hurt, and then they never did anything with him. Now he's back in NXT and instantly a top guy like he should be.

Andrade Almas. They took away his full name and he's basically been a nobody during his main roster run.

Shinsuke Nakamura. They should have put the belt on him at 'Mania. Yeah, he won the Rumble, but he's been dead in the water since he failed to follow up and win the world title.

There are probably several more, but those are just off the top of my head. I think all those guys could be world champs on the main roster with good booking. If we're being honest, just about anyone on the roster could be a world champ with good booking. Of course, the main roster doesn't have good booking, so the point is moot.

I can definitely agree with the first three but i understand why they didn't with Zayn. Think maybe the language barrier effects the IT factor with the last two?
Watch More Basketball

improper
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by improper » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:31 pm

Marcus wrote:I can definitely agree with the first three but i understand why they didn't with Zayn. Think maybe the language barrier effects the IT factor with the last two?

I think the language barrier is easy to work around. Just give them a manager. Hell, Almas already has one and she's great in the role. They just need to stop having her cheat for him in every damn match. It's okay for heels to cheat in big matches against other top guys, but they shouldn't have to cheat to beat lower card people.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,257

Post#50 » by LLJ » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:12 pm

I think either Samoa Joe or Nakamura should've broken up AJ's run last year, even if only for a short time.

Nakamura hasn't had a terrible WWE run, empirically speaking, but losing that feud to AJ hurt him a lot as a top contender. I don't think he has a chance at a top title now especially on Smackdown.

It doesn't help that they book the midcard belts like they don't matter now.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by improper » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:39 pm

LLJ wrote:I think either Samoa Joe or Nakamura should've broken up AJ's run last year, even if only for a short time.

Nakamura hasn't had a terrible WWE run, empirically speaking, but losing that feud to AJ hurt him a lot as a top contender. I don't think he has a chance at a top title now especially on Smackdown.

It doesn't help that they book the midcard belts like they don't matter now.

Joe is another one. They have him talk tons of sh*t but he loses every damn match.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#52 » by Stanford » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:09 am

Finally, a good musical performance on WWE. Poppy **** rocks

Fired up IO, fired up the crowd. Really got the show off to a hot start.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,950

Post#53 » by iMoreland » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:32 am

Remember when people were worried the quality of NXT was gonna go down when it went to 2hours/live? It's somehow gotten better. NXT is the best wrestling show on TV.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#54 » by The_Brecht » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:50 am

The womens division in NXT is the best on television.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#55 » by Stanford » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:46 am

iMoreland wrote:Remember when people were worried the quality of NXT was gonna go down when it went to 2hours/live? It's somehow gotten better. NXT is the best wrestling show on TV.

I think the main roster routinely poaching talent helps with the quality. It forces them to constantly be thinking about the next guy/woman up. The result is a mid-card that has to be booked with forethought. They don't have a choice. It also gives the roster a feeling of freshness at all points in the calendar. This could result in a disparate product that turns off occasional viewers, but the NXT brand is strong enough to turn over the entire roster and still feel like the same show.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by improper » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:39 pm

iMoreland wrote:Remember when people were worried the quality of NXT was gonna go down when it went to 2hours/live? It's somehow gotten better. NXT is the best wrestling show on TV.

I think the concern was that Vince might start getting involved with the move to a cable channel and that would make it start to suck. Thus far, it's still NXT, and the two hours just allows them to showcase the insane depth the roster has right now.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#57 » by Marcus » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:36 pm

don't think there is any question about it. I enjoy AEW for its newness but NXT has the better talent IMO and due to it being at this level for so long is much much better in terms of quality than anything else out RN.
Watch More Basketball

Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#58 » by Stanford » Fri Nov 1, 2019 8:15 pm

Little irritating to see the Kabuki Warriors wrestling heel so masterfully and Dakota Kai selling so well for them, only to have the crowd chant for Kairi and Asuka. This is something that AEW will always have over NXT. The AEW crowd will cheer a Jericho entrance but always boo when a heel does something dastardly. Kairi and Asuka were being such **** heads in this match. They should have been getting a lot of heat.

Another thing: I did not expect that promo from Finn. One of my favorite promos in years. Every word was perfect and deliberate. The theme of wrestlers who should be watching instead of performing looked like it legitimately bothered him, giving real motivation for his attack on Gargano. He also did a great job ignoring the overwhelming cheers (again) from the crowd.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,929

Post#59 » by tugs » Thu Nov 7, 2019 3:55 pm

AJ and Finn interaction with the Two Sweet and Shoot To Kill

Holy...
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#60 » by Ruzious » Thu Nov 7, 2019 6:37 pm

tugs wrote:AJ and Finn interaction with the Two Sweet and Shoot To Kill

Holy...

That was an epic moment I figured we'd never get to see in the WWE. NXT does it the first time Styles shows up there. Maybe that was part of the deal for Balor agreeing to go back to NXT?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Pro Wrestling