All Elite Wrestling - Discussion

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Re: All Elite Wrestling - Discussion 

Post#581 » by AirCanadaMouse » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:18 am

Dominater wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:Wow, I just back into wrestling after a decade of not watching, decided to check out AEW on TSN after all the promotion it was getting on the network and I was hooked immediately. I didn't know there was AEW discussion on RealGM but sadly this thread looks quite scarce, I'll be poking around here from now on though,

I'm a huge fan of Sammy G because of vlogs, really find myself pulling for this guy.

Yea the wrestling board in general isn't quite where we want it to be as far as traffic goes.

But yea AEW has been getting better. I went live on Thanksgiving Eve, and that show I though sucked! They wasted the first 20 mins with a brutal WWE like segment with Jericho and inner circle. Omega was still wrestling like "meh" Kenny Omega, etc. But the last couple weeks have been pretty good

Right on! I post in the MMA section and while it's not the most active board, it has a nice, tight knit community which makes the discussion really fun tbh. Don't mind me, just going to join the "inner circle" (if you will, haha) that you guys have here, won't be posting in the WWE threads because I have 0 interest in watching that product again, it was AEW that brought me back...

Seems like a lot of people are with you, a lot of people think the booking has been slacking lately, but this how I know I'm a fan/mark of this product because I have literally enjoyed EVERY-SINGLE episode. Heck, I even like the Nightmare Collective and Brandi Rhodes, lol.

Doesn't mean I'm afraid to criticize the product though, I get really annoyed at all the high spots/double teams, ignoring the 5 count of when the illegal man is in the ring. It seems like there are so many moves that should finish a match, but they end up kicking out cleanly (no break up of the pin). I really want to see a tag match just end on a "regular" double team, this way we at least get that element of surprise back when they kick out. Right now that part is just an eye roll for me tbh
Thank you Clutch0z24
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 30,121

Post#582 » by Dominator83 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:42 am

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
Dominater wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:Wow, I just back into wrestling after a decade of not watching, decided to check out AEW on TSN after all the promotion it was getting on the network and I was hooked immediately. I didn't know there was AEW discussion on RealGM but sadly this thread looks quite scarce, I'll be poking around here from now on though,

I'm a huge fan of Sammy G because of vlogs, really find myself pulling for this guy.

Yea the wrestling board in general isn't quite where we want it to be as far as traffic goes.

But yea AEW has been getting better. I went live on Thanksgiving Eve, and that show I though sucked! They wasted the first 20 mins with a brutal WWE like segment with Jericho and inner circle. Omega was still wrestling like "meh" Kenny Omega, etc. But the last couple weeks have been pretty good

Right on! I post in the MMA section and while it's not the most active board, it has a nice, tight knit community which makes the discussion really fun tbh. Don't mind me, just going to join the "inner circle" (if you will, haha) that you guys have here, won't be posting in the WWE threads because I have 0 interest in watching that product again, it was AEW that brought me back...

Seems like a lot of people are with you, a lot of people think the booking has been slacking lately, but this how I know I'm a fan/mark of this product because I have literally enjoyed EVERY-SINGLE episode. Heck, I even like the Nightmare Collective and Brandi Rhodes, lol.

Doesn't mean I'm afraid to criticize the product though, I get really annoyed at all the high spots/double teams, ignoring the 5 count of when the illegal man is in the ring. It seems like there are so many moves that should finish a match, but they end up kicking out cleanly (no break up of the pin). I really want to see a tag match just end on a "regular" double team, this way we at least get that element of surprise back when they kick out. Right now that part is just an eye roll for me tbh

You must've been gone a long time! Because finisher spam has been a thing for a while now. Nowadays in any non-jobber match, it's seems like its a 2 finisher minimum. I think it started to get out of hand after Undertaker vs Michaels part 1. Now for that particular match, It was fine. Two legends going at it, Michaels trying to break takers streak, etc. The match was great and requiring a couple finishers was fine by me given the magnitude of that match.

But now, you see every Joe, Dick and Tom doing it. And it's lost value big time. And it should ONLY happen on PPV matches, not the weekly TV show. Any match on Raw, SD, Impact, dynamite, etc should be one finisher, and 1-2-3.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#583 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:16 am

Amazing opener, one of the most consistent part of Dynamite are the opening segments and this delivered. Love when Matt decided to tag Omega instead of Hangman. They gotta do something about ignoring the refs count because there are no DQ’s though, when you don’t know who the legal man is, it kinda becomes a bit too chaotic

As a Sammy G and MMA fan, I absolutely loved that match, because it reminded me of how sometimes in MMA, a fighter can control an entire fight and then get caught in a submission with one costly mistake.

It was perfect to me because it made Sammy G look super over because he borderline dominated lol, they gotta have him cut a promo about doing less high spots to appease the fans, just something to embrace the heel side more, as he has the move-set of a Babyface rn and it was that sorta move that cost him the match.

Side notes:
- love this Cody / MJF feud , but can’t help but feel Butcher and Blade have been been booked badly from the start.
- PAC/Darby was good and glad they put PAC over as it continues the story of Darby not winning the big matchups
- I like Shida but the tag match was a complete fast forward to me.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Thank you Clutch0z24
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#584 » by Spens1 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:16 am

The show is getting a lot better, still think they could benefit greatly by having another guy in the main event (honestly, i'd consider splitting up lucha bros and having both Fenix and especially Pentagon Jr in the main event).

Sammy G is freaking brilliant and Darby is going to be a huge name in a few years.

I honestly think a guy like Austin Theory made a big mistake signing in NXT (and not cause its stacked or anything), mainly because he'd have been one of the guys being pushed alongside a Sammy G or MJF (the type of guy AEW has been targeting).

Butcher and Blade stuff is a bit strange as MJF's muscle but whatever, i'd have preferred it just being Wadlow being that main impediment.

Since cage is signed, they should put him against Marko Stunt for his first match please (i just hate the flossin, he's like 24 as well which makes it worse).

Womens tag was the weakest part of the show but a lot of that has to do with Brandi and even Shida wasn't all that great. Womens division needs a Tessa blanchard (drama aside, she needs to come in and run roughshod over the division and hold the belt for at least a year before building up someone like a Stanlader to win the title over her). They also need to get at least two more decent womens wrestlers at least (my picks honestly would be Tenille Dashwood, Jordynne Grace and Kelly Klein) because Riho isn't bad, but she sure as hell shouldn't be champ. They could do with partnering up with a promotion like Shine and if they get that New Japan partnership, then Stardom is a must (getting the likes of Iwatami and Kimura onto american tv would be big for the division).

I absolutely 100% love this Hangman story, they've turned Hangman from a bland, boring character to giving him one of the most intricate and impressive storylines in wrestling with his battles with alcoholism and depression. I wish they showed the BTE stuff more but between those segments and tv, its a damn good story (and when he turns, it won't be a shock at all and honestly could lead to a great redemption storyline if he goes after PAC down the line for the AEW title).

I still think the Diamond Ring needs to evolve into the AEW Diamond Championship or that the Diamond Ring should be the mid card title itself (that is defended like a mid to upper mid card title).
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,130

Post#585 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:53 pm

AEW beat NXT once again, loving it. Hopefully they cna continue to trend upwards as I love AEW and rarely ever watch WWE these days
Spens1
RealGM

Post#586 » by Spens1 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:14 am

daoneandonly wrote:AEW beat NXT once again, loving it. Hopefully they cna continue to trend upwards as I love AEW and rarely ever watch WWE these days

I'm the same to be honest (watching mainly AEW and New Japan and Dragon Gate, MLW and Impact on the side). NXT is good in the ring but they're rushing their storylines a bit i think, they need to go back to the long term storytelling they had before.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,145

Post#587 » by WRau1 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:47 pm

Apparently Moxley is the hit of the Jericho cruise. Hanging out with everyone, having drinks and just generally being awesome.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#588 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:58 am

I enjoyed the cruise episode , Britt Baker promo was so bad though that they had to cut to commercial, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Thank you Clutch0z24
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#589 » by daoneandonly » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:52 pm

The look and feel of the cruise atmosphere was pretty cool. The Page/Omega storyline si good, and once the turn happens, should be a great feud.

Agrred with Air Canada on britt's promo, that was awful. She needs to take lessons from her bf on how to have a heel persona
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#590 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:53 pm

daoneandonly wrote:The look and feel of the cruise atmosphere was pretty cool. The Page/Omega storyline si good, and once the turn happens, should be a great feud.

Agrred with Air Canada on britt's promo, that was awful. She needs to take lessons from her bf on how to have a heel persona

I actually laughed (in a good way) when she said she was the hottest girl on the cruise, I figured it was finally going to pick up some heat...

Then she kept addressing the crowd and stopping her promo, then repeating herself, and paying way too much attention to the hair in her face.

Yeah it’s uncomfortable speaking with hair in your mouth but man, just get your promo and get the heat you’ve been building towards.

I loved how they turned her heel when she didn’t help out the other women when they were attacked, and the crowd was doing everything they could to give her heat and she blew it.

Huge missed opportunity since that was a big moment for her character.

Just look at Adam Page for example, I saw absolutely nothing in this guy and his current arc has completely sold me.

This dude is a star now.... his personality is showing, all the subtle hiints, even the wind blowing his hair made him look like a million bucks too. Lol

I did a complete 180 on hangman and was ready to do the same with Britt.
Thank you Clutch0z24
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#591 » by daoneandonly » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:56 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:The look and feel of the cruise atmosphere was pretty cool. The Page/Omega storyline si good, and once the turn happens, should be a great feud.

I actually laughed (in a good way) when she said she was the hottest girl on the cruise, I figured it was finally going to pick up some heat...

Then she kept addressing the crowd and stopping her promo, then repeating herself, and paying way too much attention to the hair in her face.

Yeah it’s uncomfortable speaking with hair in your mouth but man, just get your promo and get the heat you’ve been building towards.

I loved how they turned her heel when she didn’t help out the other women when they were attacked, and the crowd was doing everything they could to give her heat and she blew it.

Just look at Adam Page for example, I saw absolutely nothing in this guy and his current arc has completely sold me.

This dude is a star now.... his personality is showing, all the subtle hiints, even the wind blowing his hair made him look like a million bucks too. Lol

Yea the wind actually played a great part in multiple facets

I also loved the crowd singing along with jericho's theme, that was great.

Yup, the Page storyline has been done so well, when the turn does happen, its going to be great, and probably vicious.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#592 » by AirCanadaMouse » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:41 am

daoneandonly wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:

Yup, the Page storyline has been done so well, when the turn does happen, its going to be great, and probably vicious.

The crazy thing is, it’s so well written that I don’t know how the turn will be. Is page really the heel when you think about it?

Young Bucks continue to come out and celebrate with them after the match, stealing his shine. Then they come cut off his promo, stealing his shine.

The BTE segment with Page and Johnny Valiant (his trainer) made me feel sympathy. He just wants to feel involved, and the funny thing is I never saw him on the level the rest of the elite members so it was very fitting.

I’m glued to what they’re going to do with him. I don’t watch wwe anymore and never will, but would you say this is the best storyline in wrestling rn?
Thank you Clutch0z24
Spens1
RealGM

Post#593 » by Spens1 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:59 am

Apparently AEW are interested in signing Lance Archer and are in negotiations

That's going to do wonders for that AEW - New Japan relationship.

In fairness, Archer has been very good this year but i worry if AEW can get him over in the U.S (cause New Japan have done an exceptional job of building him up this year, almost flawless in fact in making him look like a threat). Still, a Moxley-Archer feud would be great given their WK matchup.

He'd be a good pick to be a bodyguard/heavy for whoever the dark order leader is (which looks to be either Matt Hardy or Raven).
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#594 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:33 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:

The crazy thing is, it’s so well written that I don’t know how the turn will be. Is page really the heel when you think about it?

Young Bucks continue to come out and celebrate with them after the match, stealing his shine. Then they come cut off his promo, stealing his shine.

The BTE segment with Page and Johnny Valiant (his trainer) made me feel sympathy. He just wants to feel involved, and the funny thing is I never saw him on the level the rest of the elite members so it was very fitting.

I’m glued to what they’re going to do with him. I don’t watch wwe anymore and never will, but would you say this is the best storyline in wrestling rn?

Absolutley its the best storyline going. I barely ever watch WWE, just tuning in sparingly cause RR is my fave event, but the only thing I like about WWE now is ROllins new faction. They even managed to make Bray Wyatt somewhat meh again.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#595 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:34 pm

Spens1 wrote:Apparently AEW are interested in signing Lance Archer and are in negotiations

In fairness, Archer has been very good this year but i worry if AEW can get him over in the U.S (cause New Japan have done an exceptional job of building him up this year, almost flawless in fact in making him look like a threat). Still, a Moxley-Archer feud would be great given their WK matchup.

He'd be a good pick to be a bodyguard/heavy for whoever the dark order leader is (which looks to be either Matt Hardy or Raven).

I heard the Dark Order leader was supposed to be Marty Scrull as they expected to get him before he reupped with ROH. That would of been a great story given his ties to the ELite.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,340

Post#596 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:36 pm

All the clips I’ve seen from that cruise are pretty cringey. The annual carnie Cruise.
Do it for Chuck
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#597 » by Wo1verine » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:39 pm

Never give Brit Baker a mic again - My god that was probably the worst promo i have ever seen!

I'm enjoying the Hangman story line wheres he's turning into a drunk probably the best thing happening on AEW right now.

Hangman was a nobody until recently he just needed some tweaks to show that he's got star potential.
BrunoSkull
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#598 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:03 am

daoneandonly wrote:
Spens1 wrote:Apparently AEW are interested in signing Lance Archer and are in negotiations

I heard the Dark Order leader was supposed to be Marty Scrull as they expected to get him before he reupped with ROH. That would of been a great story given his ties to the ELite.

Good for Marty for securing the bag, that's a tough deal to pass up. Heard Raven is the voice behind some of the Dark Order videos, I felt as if they really didn't need to reveal a leader, Evil Uno is a good worker, on the mic and in the ring r (the player uno gimmick was enjoyable too), he makes for a very good leader but at this point there's no turning back because fans are heavily expecting one.
Thank you Clutch0z24
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#599 » by daoneandonly » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:46 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Good for Marty for securing the bag, that's a tough deal to pass up. Heard Raven is the voice behind some of the Dark Order videos, I felt as if they really didn't need to reveal a leader, Evil Uno is a good worker, on the mic and in the ring r (the player uno gimmick was enjoyable too), he makes for a very good leader but at this point there's no turning back because fans are heavily expecting one.

Yea, kind of hoping its not Raven, I'd prefer it be a younger guy they can build up and can wrestle a normal schedule. Someone debuting like a Luke Harper, Killer Kross, Chris Saban, Austin Aries, etc.

Or have it be an existing member of the roster who isnt being used, Tye Dillinger, Angelico, etc.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#600 » by Spens1 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:30 pm

Not sure if anyone's seen this, but Brandi released a video on her twitter. Its actually really good surprisingly enough, they need to show this on TV and they need to have Cody involved.

[youtube]
Read on Twitter
[/youtube]

Return to Pro Wrestling