NXT Thread II

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,385

Re: NXT Thread 2 (The Day I've Been Waiting For) 

Post#781 » by Polk377 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:20 pm

WRau1 wrote:Just last month Joe was rumored to be going up to the main roster and now he's the champ. He's coming up on almost a year in NXT iirc, wonder how long they keep him there? If Joe does get called up around SummerSlam, that NXT roster is going to start looking a little slim with only Nakamura (who could very well be called up soon as well) Kenta and possibly AA at the top of the card.

ETA - Roode could be there too, I think. Haven't heard anything about him since Take Over: Dallas though.

They have a lot of guys coming up there. NXT will probably be in development mode for a while now which isn't a terrible thing. The talent like Joe, Bailey, Nakamura, American Alpha and Asuka need to be on the main roster soon. Hopefully they have guys that can step up and take these top spots.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#782 » by Dunthreevy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:12 pm

WRau1 wrote:Just last month Joe was rumored to be going up to the main roster and now he's the champ. He's coming up on almost a year in NXT iirc, wonder how long they keep him there? If Joe does get called up around SummerSlam, that NXT roster is going to start looking a little slim with only Nakamura (who could very well be called up soon as well) Kenta and possibly AA at the top of the card.

ETA - Roode could be there too, I think. Haven't heard anything about him since Take Over: Dallas though.

They'll just keep signing young talent from the independents. It's an endless cycle. There might be dry spells for a brief time but I'm convinced they'll still keep the product fresh. It has too much momentum now to let it slide back.
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
Polk377
General Manager

Post#783 » by Polk377 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:20 pm

Some of these new guys look atrocious. I give this No Way Jose guy a month before the fans lose interest. Wolfe looks ok just needs a better presentation. Chiampa and Gargano are good workers but nothing more. I am already done with Elias Sampson. The only bright spots as of right now in the mens division are Joe, Nakamura and Rich Swann.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#784 » by Dunthreevy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:51 pm

Polk377 wrote:Some of these new guys look atrocious. I give this No Way Jose guy a month before the fans lose interest. Wolfe looks ok just needs a better presentation. Chiampa and Gargano are good workers but nothing more. I am already done with Elias Sampson. The only bright spots as of right now in the mens division are Joe, Nakamura and Rich Swann.

:noway:
Polk377
General Manager

Post#785 » by Polk377 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:02 pm

Dunthreevy wrote:
Polk377 wrote:Some of these new guys look atrocious. I give this No Way Jose guy a month before the fans lose interest. Wolfe looks ok just needs a better presentation. Chiampa and Gargano are good workers but nothing more. I am already done with Elias Sampson. The only bright spots as of right now in the mens division are Joe, Nakamura and Rich Swann.

I know indie fans love them but personality wise they are dull. They fall in the same class as The Revival. Both great in ring workers but fail to tell a good story on the mic.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#786 » by improper » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:42 pm

Polk377 wrote:Chiampa and Gargano are good workers but nothing more.

Well, the current WWE champ is neither a good worker nor good on the mic, so there's hope!
Polk377
General Manager

Post#787 » by Polk377 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:20 pm

improper wrote:
Polk377 wrote:Chiampa and Gargano are good workers but nothing more.

Well, the current WWE champ is neither a good worker nor good on the mic, so there's hope!

Please you cant compare either to Roman Reigns. They are both Tyler Breeze except Breeze actually has a personality.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,145

Post#788 » by WRau1 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:35 pm

Dunthreevy wrote:

They'll just keep signing young talent from the independents. It's an endless cycle. There might be dry spells for a brief time but I'm convinced they'll still keep the product fresh. It has too much momentum now to let it slide back.

Yeah, I'm extremely confident they'll be fine longterm but it looks like there will be a problem at the top of the card very soon. Joe, Aires, Nakamura, Roode?, Asuka, Gable are all in their 30s and more than ready for the main roster. Bailey and Jordan are ready too. I just don't think any of these guys/gals are still in NXT come SummerSlam and if that happens, that cupboard is going to look pretty bare.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,349

Post#789 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:13 pm

The Elias Sampson hate is blasphemous.
Do it for Chuck
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,905

Post#790 » by skbucks1985 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:53 pm

Polk377 wrote:
Dunthreevy wrote:

I know indie fans love them but personality wise they are dull. They fall in the same class as The Revival. Both great in ring workers but fail to tell a good story on the mic.

They both seem dull because they're playing very straightforward babyface characters. That should not be taken to mean that's all they're capable of. I can't speak as much about Gargano but I've seen plenty of Ciampa's mic work in ROH and he's got A LOT more range than they're allowing him to show.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#791 » by Marcus » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:59 pm

safi wrote:
Polk377 wrote:
Dunthreevy wrote:

They both seem dull because they're playing very straightforward babyface characters. That should not be taken to mean that's all they're capable of. I can't speak as much about Gargano but I've seen plenty of Ciampa's mic work in ROH and he's got A LOT more range than they're allowing him to show.

yeah they're indy work is pretty good. Gargano played a damn fine skilled yet scared heel in Evolve and Ciampa does a pretty good crazy when uncuffed.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#792 » by Dunthreevy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:00 pm

It's abundantly clear that someone here doesn't know much about Ciampa or Gargano. Both of those guys are better on the mic than half the main roster. The fact that they've been given zero mic time in NXT doesn't change the fact that they're both actually really good promos, and Ciampa's "Psycho Killer" gimmick would be super over if they actually let him use it. It seems like they've been leaning towards it lately, but they've not been given any promo time to flesh it out.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#793 » by Dunthreevy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:04 pm

Speaking of Ciampa, he's the subject of one of the best episodes of Colt's AoW podcast.

Ciampa's dull, HA!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUWFqIwELAw[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpMtaDuSEh8[/youtube]
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,905

Post#794 » by skbucks1985 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:22 pm

Dunthreevy wrote:It's abundantly clear that someone here doesn't know much about Ciampa or Gargano. Both of those guys are better on the mic than half the main roster. The fact that they've been given zero mic time in NXT doesn't change the fact that they're both actually really good promos, and Ciampa's "Psycho Killer" gimmick would be super over if they actually let him use it. It seems like they've been leaning towards it lately, but they've not been given any promo time to flesh it out.

From what I understand they were both signed to non-exclusive deals so they haven't gone all-in on them. My guess is that's probably changed because after there win over The Vaudevillains the way they did commentary for that match, that was clearly framed as a really important win. So I'm guessing we're going to see more out of them both in terms of appearances but also giving them more mic time.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#795 » by improper » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:25 pm

safi wrote:
Dunthreevy wrote:It's abundantly clear that someone here doesn't know much about Ciampa or Gargano. Both of those guys are better on the mic than half the main roster. The fact that they've been given zero mic time in NXT doesn't change the fact that they're both actually really good promos, and Ciampa's "Psycho Killer" gimmick would be super over if they actually let him use it. It seems like they've been leaning towards it lately, but they've not been given any promo time to flesh it out.

From what I understand they were both signed to non-exclusive deals so they haven't gone all-in on them. My guess is that's probably changed because after there win over The Vaudevillains the way they did commentary for that match, that was clearly framed as a really important win. So I'm guessing we're going to see more out of them both in terms of appearances but also giving them more mic time.

The difference now is that they're actually under contract with NXT. They can still work indie shows, but they have been signed by NXT, whereas before they were just freelancing there in sort of an independent contractor type of role.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,879

Post#796 » by Spens1 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:58 am

Gargano can be a bit dull at times (though he was great with Chuck Taylor, but anyone gains personality with Chuck Taylor)

but Ciampa can be anything but. In ROH he was a madman, in fact right now i'd say they miss him like mad because he would probably be in the TV championship picture, if not the world title picture. Guy was basically built as a pyscho, kind of wondered why NXT didn't go for that with him, not like anyone on the current NXT roster has that, not saying he could be a long term NXT champion or a WWE champ, he won't be, but honestly he could become a solid mid carder on the main roster

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-at2MiBqYtY[/youtube]
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#797 » by iMoreland » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:32 am

No ones mentioned Manny Andrade (La Sombra) yet.

Crazy talented, young (26), has a great look.

Hopefully he'll debut within the next TV tapings, or at the next Takeover. He'd make a good babyface
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,349

Post#798 » by jakecronus8 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:28 am

Ciampa can straight up go with anyone in the ring. He's not the most charismatic in a traditional sense, but there's a value to a guy that is just great in the ring. Different era, but Bret Hart is one of the greatest and had below average promos and he knew it. Sometimes just the right gimmick and look makes all the difference in the world.
Do it for Chuck
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#799 » by improper » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:30 am

jakecronus8 wrote:Ciampa can straight up go with anyone in the ring. He's not the most charismatic in a traditional sense, but there's a value to a guy that is just great in the ring. Different era, but Bret Hart is one of the greatest and had below average promos and he knew it. Sometimes just the right gimmick and look makes all the difference in the world.

During a PPV I'd much prefer to watch a guy with less charisma who is amazing in the ring than a really charismatic guy who sucks at wrestling. Sure, during your average Raw taping charisma is important since there are shorter matches and more talking, but at a PPV it's all about how well you can go in the ring.
Polk377
General Manager

Post#800 » by Polk377 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:54 am

You are right I don't follow ROH or any Indie company. I do however weekly watch Raw and NXT. Ciampa and Gargano haven't shown anything yet to justify all this admiration you guys give them. Maybe it's a lack of a real feud I'll give you that but I feel like they are destined to be at NXT for a long time floating in the middle. Ciampa can act like a madman all he wants. The only way they make it up is if WWE bringo back the cruiserweight division.

Return to Pro Wrestling