ROH (Ring of Honor) Thread

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Re: ROH (Ring of Honor) Thread 

Post#201 » by Spens1 » Sun Jul 1, 2018 3:45 am

A night after BITW, Lethal has won the ROH world title in a fatal 4 way, pretty reminiscant of Elgin vs Briscoe. I was looking forward to this title run (Castle's) but Delirious, as per usual, messed it up (I mean not even Road Dogg is as bad as Delirious at this stage, he may be legit the worst booker of any major promotion out there). Castle though is now going out for much needed surgery.

Also this company is still dominated by New Japan/Bullet Club/The Elite. This company has exactly 0 stars of their own (by their own volition also since they killed the Briscoes and Jay Lethal when both acts where the top tag team and top singles guy in the world for a time in 2016).

I have a feeling Taven is the one taking the title (which is a good call i'd say, with Bennett in WWE, he's the only one from The Kingdom who could get it).
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#202 » by Celtsfan1980 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:31 pm

They're pushing the females a lot more lately. How does it compare to WWE's women's division? Death Before Dishonor coming very soon.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#203 » by Spens1 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:44 am

They don't have a title and its still way below WWE level but it is a huge step in the right direction which is good. Kelly Klein and tenille Dashwood (aka Emma) are very solid, Mandy Leon has improved a fair bit as well. Its not that bad.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#204 » by Dominator83 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:56 am

They need a damn regular weekly TV show. They used to have one back-to-back with impact on Destination America a few years back.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Spens1
RealGM

Post#205 » by Spens1 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:55 am

Dominater wrote:They need a damn regular weekly TV show. They used to have one back-to-back with impact on Destination America a few years back.

They still do but its on Sinclair's cable network (on Comet) which only has a reach of 20 mill.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#206 » by Spens1 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:24 am

Anyway ROH death before dishonor. This company has no stars of their own at all. Same old story, rely on the Young Bucks/Elite and New Japan talent. At least they got Cobb the TV title (at the TV taping though, idiots), he may be able to do something. Apart from that, highly predictable with one really good match and otherwise average wrestling with predictable results (honestly Lethal's 2nd run hasn't been great) and Taven returned, to crickets.... I get the sentiment but damn.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#207 » by Spens1 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:40 am

Punishment Martinez is apparently done with ROH and he said his goodbyes. The state of ROH where they can't even keep this guy, i mean to be honest he was one of the more pushed talents of the last 3 years (Him, Castle and Young). That Young Prospect Tornuament in 2016 really had a good bunch of talent but they've lost them all and they have no replacements.

My money is on him going to NXT to be honest.
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#208 » by Celtsfan1980 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:32 pm

Final Battle is coming. Klein seems to be losing a lot lately. Is she due for a push? It sounds like the Daniels match is a career ending match. I have no idea why though. On paper the card looks good.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#209 » by Spens1 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:58 am

Overall solid ppv but God I hated the Cody vs lethal match, overbooked mess and not even that good (especially since this is final battle)

Ladder war was nuts, loved that match though I must say. ROH need way more tag teams though.

Page vs Cobb was fabtasric, new Japan needs to book this around the us title I think.

Marty vs Daniels was a bit meh, not a huge fan.

Glad Klein won the WOH title, long overdue

ROH without the elite though, oh boy...... I mean ultimately I hope it leads to a better product not married to the group but it will lose interest.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#210 » by Spens1 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:30 am

ROH are linked with these names or have already gotten in contact with them to sign contracts or to be used:

Already Signed:
Jeff Cobb
PCO
Brody King
Bandido
Mark Haskins
Tracy Williams

Contacted
Luchasaurus
Colin Delaney
PJ Black

Via New Japan relationship:
Zack Sabre Jr
Juice Robinson

Rumoured:
Rush
Nick Aldis

Other than Aldis and Delaney its a pretty good list i'd say (though Delaney's indy theme song is an absolute banger). I'm super keen to see Rush in North America and its a race between them and MLW to get him. Also with Rush in ROH, they better put a rocket on him and push him to the ROH title, also Rush in New Japan will be damn good. The wrestlers they've signed so far are fantastic.

Bandido in the BOSJ tournament needs to happen and they need to get him full time for New Japan (also New Japan and Dragon Gate relationship would be great, doubt it though since DG is basically the #2 in Japan right now). Haskins is the biggest name in British Indy wrestling not signed now, he'd be a massive blow to the scene but as long as he can work Rev Pro it should be alright.

I hope they get a new booker though, Delirious (other than Vince) is the worst head booker out there today.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#211 » by Spens1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:44 am

ROH have now managed to sign Rush. What a huge signing that is, he certainly adds to the main event immediately. He is an absolute star so he should be an obvious choice for the champ after Scurll.

He can still work CMLL and New Japan but he's exclusive in North America to ROH. He also apparently rejected WWE (had something to do with Almas complaining apparently surprisingly enough, if the Mexican sauces can be believed).
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#212 » by improper » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:06 pm

Nice to see ROH is still getting some quality talent in the wake of AEW. I don't really ever watch it unless I hear about a must see match, but a better indie scene is good for everyone.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#213 » by Scott Hall » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:16 am

improper wrote:Nice to see ROH is still getting some quality talent in the wake of AEW. I don't really ever watch it unless I hear about a must see match, but a better indie scene is good for everyone.

ROH is pretty bad right now the worst it's been maybe in it's history and I felt like that before a giant
chunk of their roster left for AEW. I have them way behind WWE, NJPW, Impact and even Lucha Underground.

I do like the signing of PCO even at 51 I haven't seen him since the Kliq turfed him in 1995.

I also think Matt Taven could be a star in the making and I always enjoy Bully Ray but it's kind
of sad to see him there when he's better than most of the WWE roster.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#214 » by Spens1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:35 am

Scott Hall wrote:
improper wrote:Nice to see ROH is still getting some quality talent in the wake of AEW. I don't really ever watch it unless I hear about a must see match, but a better indie scene is good for everyone.

ROH is pretty bad right now the worst it's been maybe in it's history and I felt like that before a giant
chunk of their roster left for AEW. I have them way behind WWE, NJPW, Impact and even Lucha Underground.

I do like the signing of PCO even at 51 I haven't seen him since the Kliq turfed him in 1995.

I also think Matt Taven could be a star in the making and I always enjoy Bully Ray but it's kind

Taven sadly hasn't been good at all since coming back (this coming from a guy who wanted Taven as THE main event heel), he has potential though for sure and maybe with Bennett and Maria requesting a release, he could come back to ROH and reform the Kingdom.

Though yeah, ROH last year was as bad as its ever been and they've been pretty terrible since late 2016. Hopefully now the Elite are gone and we have new signings and factions they may bother with some storylines.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#215 » by Scott Hall » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:10 am

Spens1 wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:

Taven sadly hasn't been good at all since coming back (this coming from a guy who wanted Taven as THE main event heel), he has potential though for sure and maybe with Bennett and Maria requesting a release, he could come back to ROH and reform the Kingdom.

Though yeah, ROH last year was as bad as its ever been and they've been pretty terrible since late 2016. Hopefully now the Elite are gone and we have new signings and factions they may bother with some storylines.

I could see Taven being high on HHH's radar for NXT especially as he continues to work on his body...

One thing about ROH I haven't liked is the Briscoes and Jay Lethal seemed like they faced the same guys
all the time for years. So it's probably a good thing a chunk of the roster is leaving especially guys they've
faced a thousand times.

But with AEW coming into the market place I could see them and Impact really taking a big hit
Spens1
RealGM

Post#216 » by Spens1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:27 am

Scott Hall wrote:
Spens1 wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:

I could see Taven being high on HHH's radar for NXT especially as he continues to work on his body...

One thing about ROH I haven't liked is the Briscoes and Jay Lethal seemed like they faced the same guys
all the time for years. So it's probably a good thing a chunk of the roster is leaving especially guys they've
faced a thousand times.

But with AEW coming into the market place I could see them and Impact really taking a big hit

Taven would be horrible in NXT, the level of talent in NXT is just that high, Taven would absolutely be a lower card guy, in a way he'll fall off like Bennett (mid to upper mid card ROH guys who fail in WWE). If he does go, it should be after the current NXT lot and the next lot go up because they're still waiting to debut guys still.

Anyway with Jay Lethal and the Briscoes, absolutely true, they put the title back on Lethal at his lowest arguably which hurt them a lot.

So far ROH has been raiding MLW (much to Court Bauer's anger) but later on they certainly could be effected (though i think that depends on partnerships, sounds like New Japan will make ROH and AEW play nice cause they want the Elite and access to ROH).
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#217 » by Scott Hall » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:45 am

Spens1 wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Spens1 wrote:

faced a thousand times.

Taven would be horrible in NXT, the level of talent in NXT is just that high, Taven would absolutely be a lower card guy, in a way he'll fall off like Bennett (mid to upper mid card ROH guys who fail in WWE). If he does go, it should be after the current NXT lot and the next lot go up because they're still waiting to debut guys still.

Anyway with Jay Lethal and the Briscoes, absolutely true, they put the title back on Lethal at his lowest arguably which hurt them a lot.

So far ROH has been raiding MLW (much to Court Bauer's anger) but later on they certainly could be effected (though i think that depends on partnerships, sounds like New Japan will make ROH and AEW play nice cause they want the Elite and access to ROH).

I kind of liked Mike and Maria when they were in TNA and they had Moose as their muscle...

But I was watching a Mike vs. Curt Hawkins match on Main Event back in the summer and they looked like
twin brothers I think Hawkins had a better body. Mikes moveset and movements looked awful. The WWE roster
is so loaded I was thinking how could they push him anything more than this?

I think Mike and Maria could be an entertaining comedy act on RAW but even if you add some muscle to the group
again it's like what's their upside?

They're probably better off in AEW being that opening to mid card Joey Ryan style comedy act but Maria is the star
of that duo and without her Mike is really exposed. But when you can't even get regular air time on 205 Live where
almost everybody is boring as characters it's lights out.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#218 » by improper » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:53 pm

To be fair, didn't they have a push planned for Mike before he had to go to rehab? And then his wife was pregnant too, and she was basically 75% of the act. I think he could have been a midcard guy if not for the combo of losing the trust of the company and then his wife having to take some time off.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#219 » by Spens1 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:41 am

improper wrote:To be fair, didn't they have a push planned for Mike before he had to go to rehab? And then his wife was pregnant too, and she was basically 75% of the act. I think he could have been a midcard guy if not for the combo of losing the trust of the company and then his wife having to take some time off.

I think they had plans for them at least. Yeah they would have been a midcard act i'm sure (which is alright i guess). Either way, i don't fault the WWE on this one, they did all they could really and them some. Probably best for all parties to go their separate ways.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#220 » by Scott Hall » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:51 pm

So Life Blood is the new big thing in ROH huh?

On the surface they seem kind of corny...but I do like the progression Juice Robinson has made since his CJ Parker days
in NXT. I like his look and his mic skills and ring work are noticeably better after his Japan stint. He's a guy I could see
in WWE (or AEW) in a few years as he has a good upside.

I also like Bandidos look and like every luchador is good in the ring. This is the first time I've seen Fit Finlays son and so
far kind of meh and the other guys are bland. Emma man geez she just continues to rapidly regress. She doesn't even stand
out as a former WWE star and seems just kind of there. She did some commentary last week and was god awful.

Also love PCO being back after all these years

Return to Pro Wrestling