NJPW Thread (New Japan Pro Wrestling)

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Re: NJPW Thread (New Japan Pro Wrestling) 

Post#321 » by Spens1 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:39 am

Bullet Club on the prowl for new members apparently. Ishimori has already said he's getting a junior heavyweight partner (I'm calling it,Neville/PAC). Also its clear that Jay White should be the Heavyweight Ace (he's New Japan and they really will push him, he's an upper mid carder that isn't that much below the main event).

Cody also trash talking the OG's on twitter is pretty funny (and kind of ironic because him and Tonga suffer from the same exact issues, both are amazing characters and amazing on the mic, but both are below average in the ring, well at least relative to the New Japan standard). Brandi also getting involved in it. Pretty sure Cody is going to get murdered at FSU (hopefully early, I have no desire to see Juice vs Cody II, the least intriguing of Juice's defenses). Honestly I hope they push Hangman as the main singles wrestler besides Omega (and i guess Ibushi) because he already is far better than Cody is now.

Also it looks like Ibushi himself isn't entirely happy with Omega at the moment for his comments recently. We may really get Omega-Ibushi at KOPW.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#322 » by Spens1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:14 am

Destruction in Hiroshima last night and we had Omega vs ishii for the title in a long as hell match (35 minutes). It was a good match but i couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed. Again Omega spamming the hell out of the V-Trigger, is he trying to be John Cena here :lol: he is honestly becoming increasingly choreographed since becoming champion, like he is beginning to develop a sequence which is one of the things that pisses me off about the WWE (everyone has a sequence and you can see it coming from a mile away). That is his signature manuever and his 2nd most devastating move in theory, you see more v-triggers in a match than dropkicks, hurracaranas and relatively standard moves.

Somewhat surprised how over Ishii was, he had the ENTIRE crowd behind him basically in a way that pretty much no one but Tanahashi and maybe Naito could do. Ishii as world champ needs to happen sooner rather than later (even if its an interim reign). It would have been stupid here (since it was Kenny's 2nd defense) but you can see people want it.

Post match was interesting cause Ibushi said he wants to challenge on his own terms. Title change should be either before WK or well after (i'm sorry Tanahashi doesn't really have any business taking the title at this stage).

CHAOS imploding is interesting, Okada inadvetadly hit YOSHI HASHI and Tanahashi is trying to form his stable of good boys (seriously, he wants Tacos, Hangman Page and Juice from what we know, he could be building a hell of a stable).

Taichi's post match comments :lol: That whole promo was absolute gold. No idea who he was talking about (i think he was talking about Tanahashi's potential stable) but everyone is having a go at Goto recently (rightfully so though, he's so bland, way more bland for a wrestler as good as he is).

Beppu is on the 17th I believe and its Naito vs Suzuki as the main event (yes, somehow that is the main event of the NEVER title, that is rough).
Spens1
RealGM

Post#323 » by Spens1 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:12 am

Watched the Beppu show, finally and my main talking points are

- Taichi winning the NEVER Championship, which is huge, also Goto, losing to Taichi, you don't come back from that really, should be interesting to see where this goes
- CHAOS is imploding, this time Jay White hits Yoshi Hashi. Okada post match said he doesn't really care about CHAOS's problems (Nakamura about to get on a plane and slap him silly, actually that would be a good storyline, Nakamura comes back and kicks Okada out of CHAOS for being that bad of a leader and also going after Jay White).
- Tanahashi subtly manipulating people to join his side (for what, idk, because it would be basically a glorified seki-gun).
- Naito wins against Suzuki again (thus making this whole thing a waste of time, seriously they've been in a massive stalling pattern with Naito since Wrestle Kingdom and Suzuki is getting made to look like an idiot at every turn also, he's beaten Suzuki, how the hell does he feud with ZSJ after this then).
Spens1
RealGM

Post#324 » by Spens1 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:18 pm

Well Destruction happened and OH MY GOD.

Well Tanahashi defended his briefcase but that's not important. Jay White just attacked Okada directly and Gedo betrayed Okada.

Also Yoshi-Hashi gonna Yoshi-Hashi and pull a titus on the way to the ring, where he busted himself open (i mean god damn).

Nothing really else to worry about, other than 50 year old Liger challenging alongside Tiger Mask for the Junior Tag team championships (i mean i know this division is dead but jesus, there must be someone else, if their isn't, bring in some talent or bring up some of the young lions to fight there).

Either way, probably one of the more memorable events of the year that one, good god.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#325 » by Spens1 » Mon Oct 1, 2018 3:19 am

Spoiler:
They had Juice lose in his first defense to the three star saviour. Why not have an good wrestler win, Cody doesn't need it and he isn't even that much of a draw ffs (Kenny and the Bucks are the draws lets be real). ZSJ should have been the one to take that title.

Good show so far but that is a glaring error.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#326 » by Spens1 » Mon Oct 1, 2018 3:21 am

Also JR is so much better with Kevin Kelly, like its night and day, its his best commentary he has done since he left WWE to be honest.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#327 » by Spens1 » Mon Oct 1, 2018 3:49 am

Spoiler:
Nah Cody can **** right off now, he cheated to win the US title and now he's getting a world title match. He's a great character but easily the most overrated wrestler today, he's basically Tama Tonga level, neither of them have any real business near an IWGP title of any kind. Also it means he isn't defending till the dome which is just stupid. To top this all off they're pulling this off at the 4th biggest show of the year, is Gedo taking the piss.

Good show otherwise, great main event, U.S title match was alright (besides the finish which was a mess)
Spens1
RealGM

Post#328 » by Spens1 » Tue Oct 2, 2018 5:33 am

New LIJ member to be unveiled at KOPW (Next week monday), that should be fun, I'm thinking its either Shingo Takagi or Eita.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#329 » by Spens1 » Wed Oct 3, 2018 1:09 am

Not really New Japan news but its confirmed that Neville/PAC is not the new Bullet Club recruit nor is he X for LIJ. He has returned to Dragon Gate. Honestly though i'm glad, they've had a horror run as of late so its great to see them have something (not sure why they had this at the smaller show, and had freaking Kazma debut at the larger show last week, logic there).

With CIMA gone, they REALLY need him more than ever to carry the company almost. Now if only Tozawa would go back also (just don't let him have any pets yeah).
Spens1
RealGM

Post#330 » by Spens1 » Mon Oct 8, 2018 12:36 pm

KOPW had their show and what a show, a lot to unpack.

Kenny Omega is still World Champ as he pinned Ibushi (that's right, for some **** up reason they're protecting Cody, i don't know either). Solid match but again certainly more in the WWE type than New Japan to an extent (except for Ibushi vs Omega components and Ibushi running wild) but this was an anniversary or New Beggining/Destruction/US show match, it wasn't a main event for the 3rd or 4th biggest show of the year, they should have had one of the upper mid carders challenge, still incredibly fun though. Ibushi needs to sign a deal somewhere because he is the best in the world right now, if he wasn't so damn eccentric he'd have been the Ace i'd imagine by now. Dissappointed we didn't get more storyline about Omega costing Ibushi ANOTHER title (2015 and now here) and screwing him out of a one and one, which he would have won but for cody, Omega broke up the pin as well. When Omega talked about the title costing him everything, I don't think he realised what he meant, Ibushi looked like he was going to kill him, I mean after Goto, I think the guy who wrestlers have been talking the most trash about is Ibushi, I'm fully expecting Ibushi to win the title and turn heel (he'll probably beat Tanahashi). ****1/2

Also semi main, wow, what a freaking match, MOTN for sure and an absolute barnstormer. I thought Jay White was going to win at so many points and the stars were aligning here. I mean Jay White has come leaps and bounds as a wrestler this year. Go and watch this match, it is well worth it, Jay White working over Tanahashi's leg and the back and forth, shenanigans by Gedo. Tanahashi won by a small package which was nuts actually. White obviously went to go attack Tana but Okada made the save and ran him out, Gedo tried to attack him :lol: and Okada ran through him, Jado comes in with an Okada shirt to calm things down. This is when the real **** started, Bullet Club surround the ring to the confusion of everyone, they hold Gedo and Jado seemingly for Okada to hit, Okada looks like he's going for it, until Tama gun stuns Okada, its then shown as a trap and Jay White saunters in and hits the blade runner on Okada. Jay White is going to be the ace of bullet club and Jado & Gedo are out of CHAOS and now in Bullet Club. ****3/4

X turned out to be Shingo Takagi and he's going to be BUSHI's partner (which is weird cause he's bigger than Naito :lol: ) Either way huge get for New Japan, hopefully he's in the heavyweights sooner rather than later and going for titles cause it would be a bit weird for a 4 time Dream Gate Champ to be a Junior only. Also that mullet is glorious.

EVIL had a big enterance vs ZSJ, and of course one of the druids was Jericho (as soon as I saw it i was like yup, Jericho is going to be one of the druids and jump him). So it looks like the Power Struggle main event will be Jericho vs EVIL for the IC title. ZSJ throughout was providing absolute banter :lol: he then goes in to attack EVIL but Naito makes the save (and ZSJ has more banter for him).

Robbie Eagles is Ishimori's partner (he's damn good, consistently in the main event in Aus and probably the best high flyer here in the last decade or so).

Will Ospreay pinned Taichi, so finally the title is going to be an openweight belt (hallelujah). I think Ospreay beats Taichi and Ibushi gets his match (probably with Ibushi winning the match lets be honest).

KUSHIDA beat Marty Scurll (who was rather over with the Japanese Crowd, pretty damn good job there).

So yeah, very good show, would recommend watching it, if not just for the sheer amount of storylines coming out.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#331 » by Spens1 » Mon Oct 8, 2018 12:49 pm

Also more or less confirmed for Power Struggle:
Main Event - Chris Jericho vs EVIL (IWGP Intercontinental Championship)
Naito vs ZSJ (i think, don't think they'd do the run in otherwise, unless tag team match)
Taichi vs Will Ospreay (NEVER Openweight Championship)

My Predictions:
Cody vs someone (he has to get at least one title defense in before Wrestle Kingdom, i mean he'd be as absent as Jericho if he didn't)
CHAOS vs Bullet Club multi man tag
Elite vs Tana, Kushida + GBH (probably)

Attendance this year was also down (its what you get for having Cody Rhodes main event the show, may that be a wake up call, don't mess around with a big 4 show at a big venue, put the best match you can). 8.1k though so not too bad either, in saying that, try this at New Beginning or Destruction instead of KOPW.

As for Wrestle Kingdom:

Main Event - Kenny Omega vs Hiroshi Tanahashi
Semi Main - Chris Jericho vs Tetsuya Naito (I think Naito avenges his loss, but probably rigs explosives to the belt instead this time)
Ospreay vs Ibushi (NEVER title)
Cody vs Juice (US title, cause i have no idea who else would)
Okada vs Jay White (special singles match, winner probably challenges at New Beginning)
Spens1
RealGM

Post#332 » by Spens1 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:14 pm

Road to Power Struggle show and first matches for the Super Jr Tag Team Tournament.

For a road to show it was really good. I'd say 3 of the 4 tornuament matches (Taguchi and ACH was very comedy heavy, but even that towards the end was solid) was very good. Even the 6 and 8 man tags were interesting. Again Tanahashi is trying to recruit Ibushi to his stable of good boys but Kota passed (albeit he did think about it).

Shingo is a star, once Hiromu is back, Shingo is going to be a threat (i'd imagine he's going to be in the NEVER openweight picture, having good matches with Goto and Ishii, cause he can certainly throw a punch).

I like the tone early though with this, they're actually trying to introduce new teams here as threats, so hopefully this improves the depth and we have a division with 3-4 top teams (RP3K, Bushi & Shingo/Hiromu, Ishimori & Eagles as well as Despy/Kanemaru) and some other teams as well when needed (Kushida & Sabin, ACH & Taguchi, Liger & Tiger Mask).
Spens1
RealGM

Post#333 » by Spens1 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:48 am

Saw a New Japan feature on CNN, so at least its getting some mainstream coverage nowadays.

Also Super Junior tournament continues, it looks like its going to be Bushi & Shingo vs R3K in the final.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#334 » by Spens1 » Sat Nov 3, 2018 2:26 pm

Power Struggle happened, was a good PPV overall i thought, some interesting build up to Wrestle Kingdom, one being such as Ishimori attacking Kushida with crutches and then the jr heavyweight title. (weirdly enough, Tama could go down a division and challenge since he pinned Kushida :lol: )

Jay White and Okada brawl again, the WK match seems set i'd say.

More Golden Lovers stuff here and it will be interesting where this story goes (who am i kidding, Heel Ibushi or nothing at this point, who does nothing but destroy fools in the ring). As for WK, Ibushi ain't doing a damn thing and he looked out if it here, he did not want to be there which is dangerous to say the least (if Ibushi doesn't look like he wants to be there, that means he's going to DDT again).

ZSJ vs Naito was a bit disappointing given the build up but it was a solid match

and then we get to Naito and the **** IC belt. Yet again its Naito vs Jericho for that damn IC title (which Naito, remember, hates).

Goto is NEVER Openweight champ again, i mean if there is a guy i couldn't care less for in the company, its him.

Sho & Yoh winning the junior tag team tournament again was a mistake i think but they did pin the champs so we may get the titles hot shotted off them and get those two vs Bushi & Takaagi at WK (hopefully).
Spens1
RealGM

Post#335 » by Spens1 » Mon Nov 5, 2018 2:40 pm

Confirmed WK13 Card thus far.

IWGP Heavyweight Championship: Kenny Omega (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

IWGP Intercontinental Championship: Chris Jericho (c) vs. Tetsuya Naito

Kazuchika Okada vs. Jay White

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship: KUSHIDA (c) vs. Taiji Ishimori

IWGP Junior Tag Team Championship: El Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemaru vs. Roppongi 3K (SHO and YOH) vs. Shingo Takagi and BUSHI

TBA:

NEVER Openweight Championship Match

IWGP US Heavyweight Championship Match

IWGP Tag Team Championship Match

NEVER Openweight Six-Man Championship Match

How Bushi & Shingo got a match idk (and ideally it would be RP3K vs Shingo & Bushi but no real time to get the titles off Suzukigun) but the card is solid and mostly fresh.

One complaint is Naito being in the I.C title match yet again, given he's insulted that belt. Should be involved in the U.S Title match if anything (would also give that belt some major credit that it hasn't had and he'd be the only main eventer besides Omega to have held the belt).

Kazu vs White is already an amazing feud but they're in a rock and a hard place, White literally cannot lose this match or else he looks like a geek and Okada also needs some momentum if he is taking the title at some point next year (presumably to set up Okada vs Naito).

Junior Heavyweight title is a fresh one, glad they didn't have one of the regulars (like Scurll) challenge, the jr heavyweight division needs more legit threats than the usual 4 guys.

On the matches we don't know about. Goto won the NEVER title back but honestly its a joke at this stage. They ought to relegate the belt to the Lions Gate shows, same with the 6 man titles, so the young lions can fight for things (idk, you can have your recently graduated guys like Henare, David Finlay, or an outside guy like Ayato Kushida, or even a top prospect like Shota Umino win the title, also since its openweight, doesn't matter who wins, same goes for the 6 man).

Gedo treats his tag team division like crap anyway, its his one weakness as a booker (that and maybe fresh matchups at big shows). What's the bet its some variation of EVIL & Sanada vs G.O.D, with maybe the Bucks involved or something like that.

US title, well its being defended before the Dome, i think its being defended at Final Battle with Cody and Barreta, i like Baretta, but if he wins he damn sure better have a good challenger, i'm thinking either way, ZSJ, EVIL or Sanada should challenge, they need a legit upper mid carder to go after that belt and all 3 of them have fought for the world title at some point and are probably going to have a run with the belt down the line if they stay with the company (especially SANADA).

The big question is where Ibushi fits in, Goto wants to challenge him but that's before most likely. I mean after an MVP caliber year, the NEVER Openweight title is honestly below Ibushi, really he should be going for either the world title or the IC/US title (its between him and Ishii for who has been New Japan's MVP). He's also been the focal point strangely enough to the storyline between Tanahashi and Omega. I'd have him turn heel and just try to dominate everyone (would kind of fit his character to an extent, just have his murderous side be constantly out throughout matches).
Spens1
RealGM

Post#336 » by Spens1 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:47 am

World Tag League starts tonight and its an absolutely rubbish list on paper. I don't remember this tournament not having any of the big 4 competing beforehand (no Okada, no Naito, no Omega and no Tanahashi actually in here). Hopefully though we actually have good matches though.

With no GBH (literally why, i like Henare but no, GBH is an actual team and could win, Henare is a glorified young lion who should have been put with someone else) my pick is EVIL/Sanada since they both don't have matches for WK (and both are upper mid carders in their own right, I mean both are probably in the picture for US or IC title runs at some point next year).
Spens1
RealGM

Post#337 » by Spens1 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:11 pm

First night over and here are my thoughts.

Missed most of the first match but meh. Also given everything Elgin said about Cobb, why on earth are they teaming up still, New Japan should have hired Riddle and had him and Cobb be a top tag team.

For the second match, honestly Narita looked really good there, in fact i think he may be the best young lion out there right now (i mean Umino is fantastic but Narita is more technically sound, then again that may be just because he was working ZSJ for most of it).He also has a gimmick for when he comes back from excursion ('The Man') cause he got Nia Jax'd out there. Was funny seeing Taka out there given his scandal as well.

Finn Juice genuinely where annoying and unlikable here :lol: god Finlay was annoying as hell. I was rooting for Yoshida and Umino but alas it wasn't meant to be (they're getting 4 points if they're lucky). Good match though

The New Japan dads can still go to an extent (well at least Nagata and Kojima can, the other two, not so much, Tenzan's foot is messed up as well).

Best Friends vs Page & Takahashi was kind of meh, was a bit boring but nothing bad, just doesn't fill me with confidence for a Berreta singles run.

G.O.D vs Henare & Makabe. They showed Honma on the commentary then i got sad. Anyway this was a fun match, they booked this perfectly. Henare got to show off and he's getting really close now, i think 2019 could be a break out year for him and by 2020 he'll be regularly getting on the cards as a singles wrestler (i still say, make him a Bullet Club young boy under the mentorship of Fale and if you want, be the Fale to Jay White's Balor).

Main event was fun as well, good to see some good old factional warefare. the Shingo vs SHO rivalry is real but sorry Sho, bit too green to be messing with a multiple time world champ.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#338 » by improper » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:28 pm

Spens1 wrote:New Japan should have hired Riddle and had him and Cobb be a top tag team.

I have my doubts about Riddle living in a country where they are very harsh with their marijuana laws. I think that's why he took the WWE deal over the one NJPW was offering.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#339 » by Spens1 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:28 pm

improper wrote:
Spens1 wrote:New Japan should have hired Riddle and had him and Cobb be a top tag team.

I have my doubts about Riddle living in a country where they are very harsh with their marijuana laws. I think that's why he took the WWE deal over the one NJPW was offering.

He said he would go without for a few weeks if needed to. I mean the only tour that is super long is G1, after that its not bad.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#340 » by Spens1 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:59 am

Hiromu Takahashi is apparently at 93% health (why 93% idk) so he could actually be back pretty soon (probably not WK, but don't be surprised if we see him at New Years Dash and challenging the Champ for New Beginning).

With that in mind

WK Predictions:

Kenny Omega vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - Tanahashi (i think he wins and we get Tana vs Ibushi at New Beginning or Sakura genesis with Ibushi winning the title)
Naito vs Jericho - Naito (pretty obvious here)
Ospreay vs Ibushi - Ibushi (not sure why but there is a story here).
Cody vs Juice - Juice (i think that they're going for a Juice redemption arc and he has been booked strong so far, i think he wins and holds the title for a while, defending it against all the people he lost to at G1.
G.O.D vs Sanada & EVIL - Sanada & EVIL (the height of lazy booking but i think we get a rehash of last years match).
Three way jr tag - Bushi & Shingo (clearly they're going to set up Shingo & Bushi vs RP3K to be a major rivalry in 2019, and then Shingo vs SHO later on.

Return to Pro Wrestling