NJPW Thread (New Japan Pro Wrestling)

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Re: NJPW Thread (New Japan Pro Wrestling) 

Post#461 » by Spens1 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:21 am

New Japan Pro Wrestling, for some unknown reason, are finally starting their U.S subsidiary.

the name is New Japan of America (horrible name i must say).

Looks like they're running the main cities

Also from the press conference:

Obari: Phase 1 of international business has been hunting for talent. Phase 2 has been running events in the US and other countries and markets. We are entering phase 3, which is to establish a subsidiary in the US to be fully established in the market & engage with fans.

Obari: There is plenty still to be undertaken when it comes to furthering the brand in the US. Fans though, have a very close association to talent and core concepts of strong style, as evidenced by market research in Dallas.

I think it will rely a lot on the dojo (and those guys are great, Fredericks, Coughlin and Connors is fantastic, add to that Narita on his excursion and a few U.S based guys like TJP, Amazing Red potentially and they have a roster).

That is where they're running by the way.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#462 » by Spens1 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:40 am

My picks for the New Japan expansion, alot of it would be raiding MLW to an extent:

Alexander Hammerstone (huge guy at 6'4 and 251 and that's legit, is relatively young at 28 and talented for his size)
Brian Pillman Jr (seems like he could be MLW bound but honestly, i'd love the young pillman to eventually find himself on a new japan roster)
David Starr (i've been screaming at a company to take him on, he'd be perfect honestly, could be a heel or face)
Jacob Fatu (No one that big should move that well)
Tom Lawler (took to wrestling like a fish in water, honestly with the miss of Riddle, Lawlor could be a huge hit and being a west coast promotion helps them a lot in getting him, vegas to l.a ain't far)
TJP (already working with new japan a lot, could be a core part of the jr heavyweight division in america)
Rich Swann (you need another top jr and he'd be it i'd say
Willie Mack (another one like Fatu who is really big but moves well and is still only 32, also based on the west coast)
Killer Kross (probably AEW or WWE bound but it would be worth a shot)
Desmond Xavier (has been around forever and a solid jr heavyweight)
Johnathon Gresham (should really be in japan but if he doesn't want that move, jr heavyweight ZSJ in america will do)
Jeff Cobb (ideally he'd go to new japan's main roster and be in that NEVER openweight title run)
Rush (for obvious reasons, LIJ connection and him as THE guy makes a world of sense)
Andrew Everett (again, why hasn't he been signed by a major company)
Dalton Castle + his boys (just save him from ROH, he needs it, just give him back what made him succesful).

I'd say Gresham and Cobb you'd ideally want in New Japan proper, but that's still a core of 12 wrestlers + the 4 young lions, more than enough to be honest to put on a good show to begin with
Spens1
RealGM

Post#463 » by Spens1 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 11:19 am

Power Struggle was on tonight and what a show this was, honestly, one of the best shows of the year, top to bottom it was genuinly good (never thought i'd say this about power struggle of all shows), this was better than KOPW to be completely honest.

Main things that happened.

Sanada pinned ZSJ (technically, i believe this sets up a British heavyweight title match between the two of them, good way to get Sanada some gold, hopefully).

Jericho challenged Tanahashi after his tag team match, Jericho said it would be Tanahashi's last (i mean, out of the matches he wanted, this is the last one i believe). They need to plan this one well i think, they can't have a match like the Dominion main event (which was a bit of a bore)

Naito and Taichi murdered each other and it was brilliant to see, Taichi looked very VERY good, honestly if Naito is world champ, i hope they give taichi a shot at the world title because he's come leaps and bounds. His improvement is astounding, once around the lower tier guys (in kafaybe and otherwise), he's now genuinly a top 10 singles wrestler in the heavyweight division.

The one downside, Sho and Yoh won jr tag league yet again. This division is in an absolute shambles. R3K are going to win at WK yet again. This division is beyond stale and is the worst in the entire company. At least if they had it be Suzuki-Gun, a heel vs heel matchup could have worked, especially since we've actually seen it work before.

Kenta beat Ishii in a very good, classic, hard hitting NEVER openweight title match. Ishii bringing out the best in people yet again, my MOTN for sure. This is the KENTA we've waited for in the ring.

Ospreay beat Bushi in a good bout but not a surprising one, the main thing though. Hiromu's back finally after being out for 16 months with a broken neck. He's finally back and i could not be happier for it. He challenged Ospreay for the jr heavyweight title for night 1 of WK.

Then the main event, solid match overall and i was sports entertained. Shibata makes the save beating up Gedo, then Kenta hits the GTS on Goto and then boots Shibata hard. Jay White got a tonne of heat, like pretty much nuclear heat for a modern day japanese crowd (at least the most i've seen without white going full Onita and getting garbage chucked at him). Anyway Jay White said he's going straight to night 2 and called out Okada and Ibushi. Out comes Naito though, not normal cocky naito, no, the 'i will end your entire existence' naito that we've seen this entire tour. Ibushi comes out a bit after, talks about being double champ, Okada comes out (eventually) and says this double champ talk is nonsense and he's the number 1 champ, then mocks naito (and by that point Naito looked like he would kill Okada) and the fan vote. They bugger off, White says he's not doing the defense and gets the commentator to announce that he will be the new double champ whilst Naito glares daggers at him at the top of the ramp.

So it looks like we have a card.

Naito vs White on night 1 (probably having Naito pinning Jay some time during tag league during the prelim tags to set it up)
Okada vs Ibushi is already set

then presumably Okada vs Naito on night 2 in a winner takes all (Okada already is setting himself up as a bit of a heel and the camera was mostly from Naito's perspective, may be just the new japan cameras but it was an interesting coincidence).

Also Sanada vs ZSJ could be a thing, Shingo vs Suzuki in a specials match and presumably EVIL will be up to something (him vs Archer for the US title would be cool, i wouldn't mind EVIL becoming the first japanese US champ.

Ospreay vs Hiromu for the jr belt should be fun, i presume this begins the rise of Ospreay as a heavyweight

KENTA vs Goto for the NEVER Openweight belt looks likely after tonight, hopefully this leads to a Shibata/Goto lead face faction that breaks away from CHAOS (or resets the faction system on the face side).

Tag team divisions though...... yeah less said about them the better tbh.

Other then that though the two shows should be absolutely loaded.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#464 » by Spens1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:37 am

Rush has confirmed (somewhat) that Dragon Lee is going to be in New Japan going forward. So a core of Hiromu and Dragon Lee in the jr heavyweight division will be there for a while yet (and hopefully they can land Bandido as well).

Rush would be a good addition for the NJOA roster (or at least as a regular on their shows and allow him to wrestle in mexico wherever).
Spens1
RealGM

Post#465 » by Spens1 » Sun Dec 8, 2019 10:39 am

WTL finished, the final night was great honestly (even if the tornuament for the most part felt like a waste of time to be honest).

FinnJuice (the team of David Finlay and Juice Robinson) have won the tornuament after defeating Sanada and EVIL (and of all things, Finlay got the pin on EVIL which is a huge shock).

Ibushi whacked Okada with a briefcase and attacked him (Okada deserved it to be honest since he shoved the title in Ibushi's face)

Dragon Lee (now going as Ryu Lee, cause Mexican naming rights) wants to wrestle Liger on night one (before he retires), so i'm guessing he's in the special tag match or its a 1 on 1.

Jericho had a creepy package, saying that time is running out for Tanahashi (special match between the two of them).

Moxley appeared and challenged Archer for the U.S title in a texas death match (that should be wild) and hit DDT's on Archer and Suzuki (not really a death rider since there was no elevation).

also GOD lost and Yoshi-Hashi got the pin as well....... are you actually kidding me, let them win world tag league for once :lol: though they are up their now as one of the most succesful champs of all time (and only are like 3 defenses off the top (which i could see them surpassing).
Spens1
RealGM

Post#466 » by Spens1 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 1:55 pm

Wrestle Kingdom is starting tomorrow night, night 1 main event.

Night 1 sees the Moxley vs Archer matchup, with the winner facing Juice Robinson for the U.S title on night 2.

tag team belts are on the line as well with G.O.D defending against FinnJuice (i think FinnJuice could take them).

Jr heavyweight title is on the line as Ospreay will defend the belt he's held for the 2nd half of the year against Hiromu Takahashi.

Then of course, the IC title match between White and Naito is also on and of course, the main event of Okada vs Ibushi for the world title.

Night 2 has the double title matchup between the winners of the IC and World title matchups from night 1, i believe Tanahashi and Jericho is on this night (with the implication being that if Tana wins, he gets an AEW title shot)

Of course, there is also Liger's retirement which should be a tearjerker i'm certain.

Overall, the card for this is probably the strongest overall since WK11 to be honest, its a really damn strong card for both nights and easily better than last year (which really wasn't that great for a WK to be honest).
Spens1
RealGM

Post#467 » by Spens1 » Sat Jan 4, 2020 2:08 pm

Night 1 of Wrestle Kingdom is finished and honestly, top to bottom absolutely fantastic show. There is not a match i can complain about. Apparently was the number 1 trending topic on twitter worldwide (a surpise given the WWIII tag was up there)

We'll start at the very top (since i actually remembered the starting time), no Stardom showcase review unfortunately as it was not shown on the live broadcast (mainly cause Stardom is on a different TV station for now, i'm guessing they'll be on TV asahi soon enough).

Connors, Fredericks, Coughlin and Henare vs G.B.H, Tsuji & Uemura - **3/4

It was a good young lions match honestly, Fredericks already looks like a future star with his power and speed and Coughlin already as a young lion has the makings of a top gaijin heel (he needs to go straight to bullet club or a heel faction as soon as his excursion is over, shade's of Devitt with him). Connors could be a top gaijin babyface with a good healthy amount of skill, intensity and fighting spirit, Uemura is showing promise and even Tsuji who i criticised showed a lot. I'm worried about Henare though, he's not progressing at all, i think with an American partner like an AEW, they could send him there to get experience and character more importantly.

Tencozy vs Nagata & Nakanishi - ***

Way better than it had any right to be, this match was actually super fun and Satoshi Kojima and Yuji Nagata can absolutely still go. Now, Tenzan and especially Nakanishi are cooked but even they showed bits here and there (Nakanishi with his raw power and Tenzan with some striking).

Liger Retirement Special Night 1 (Liger, Fujinami, Great Sasuke & Tiger Mask/ El Samurai vs Sano, Otani, Takaiwa & Taguchi w/Kunaiki Kobayashi) - ***1/4

Before we go into details, notice one of these names are not like the other (all these legends, then Taguchi :lol: ).

Anyway i loved this match for the nostalgia, but beyond that, most of them can still go, Great Sasuke can do a freaking swanton and try to murder himself still i see. Takaiwa has strength still, even Fujinami looked alright to be honest for this. For what this was (a celebration of Liger and all the other legends) this was good.

Suzuki-Gun (Suzuki, ZSJ, Taichi, El Desperado) vs LIJ (Sanada, EVIL, Takagi, Bushi) -**1/2

Not a bad match but not anything super special, some good interactions between EVIL and Suzuki and nice preview to Sanada ZSJ aside. Standard preview tag match.

CHAOS (Goto, Ishii, Yano, Yoshi-Hashi) vs Bullet Club (Kenta, Fale, Takahashi, Owens) - **1/4

Again, rather standard CHAOS vs Bullet Club match, Yano bits where funny but and Takahashi and Owens i think could be a good lower end tag team (they need those, would give the division some depth if they just want a nonsense defense or even team them up with Fale and have them go after the 6 man belts). Main story is Kenta vs Goto though (a match that honestly is too hard to call, they could make Kenta a historic Never openweight champion).

IWGP Tag Team Championship - G.O.D (Tonga & Loa) vs FinnJuice (Finlay & Robinson) - ***3/4

This was the best G.O.D match i've seen in quiet some time, this was a very good match technically and pyscologically (both teams had a lot to gain and lose, G.O.D had never won a match at the dome as tag team champs and FinnJuice where out to prove that they're no fluke). I was most impressed by Finlay, since coming back, he's looked like a completely different wrestler, he is genuinely good. I'm glad they made G.O.D look respectable as well, selling how well they have done as tag team champs (and putting them over as perhaps the best tag team in the world today and they have some argument for that). We need more teams and more tag team wrestling so this was a good start.

IWGP United States Championship - Lance Archer (c) vs Jon Moxley (Texas Death Match) - ****1/2

Death match this was not but it was a good take on the no DQ gimmick and it was rather hardcore, both wrestlers incorporated weapons nicely. This was a step above Kenny vs Jericho in terms of brutality but still reasonably tame by american standards. loved the finish with the Death rider onto the tables with Archer not being able to make the count (not a traditional finish but at least they sold that spot well). Unintentional i'm sure but archer being bloody at the end sold this nicely. Moxley called out Juice ahead of the match as well which was nice touch. Fantastic, brutal match between these two men with both delivering with some unique spots (Archer with the plastic bag being one).

IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship - Will Ospreay (c) vs Hiromu Takahashi - *****

Would have been MOTN if not for our main event. This was a lot less crazy and slower but Ospreay played the heel perfectly i thought here (honestly, Gedo should have turned him and let him run with Bullet Club to be honest, would have been a great #2 to Jay White). Takahashi as well had the memiest entrance and hasn't lost too much of a step in the ring (though not so many crazy moves yet), speaking of which, he genuinly may be the most over guy (bar maybe Naito and Ibushi) on the roster. Just the smooth sequences, counters and counters to counters and the unique passage made this match fly, this was jr heavyweight wrestling at its absolute best (maybe not its craziest though).

IWGP Intercontinental Championship - Jay White (c) vs Tetsuya Naito - ****3/4

Before the review, Naito's interactions with Gedo was hillarious (and somewhat carthatic given Gedo's booking of Naito in the last 2-3 years). Anyway this match was perfectly structured and booked mostly but doesn't get a 5 because maybe a bit too interference heavy for my liking given the magnitude of the match (this felt like a world title match on its own). Naito playing the supernova hot babyface (and he truly was that over, other than WK12 Naito i can't remember a guy being this over) and White the disgusting heel (he's the best heel in the world today). White is so damn good at getting heat and getting the crowd to cheer naito even more and even making it look like he could win. I thought he might as well but the psychology and selling was top notch (especially naito with the knees, probably plays into tomorrow night). Luckily the right man won here.

IWGP Heavyweight Championship - Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Kota Ibushi - *****

Firstly, Okada with that GOAT entrance (though twitter ruined his outfit because now i can't see it without being reminded of cup ramen :lol: ). MOTN and probably the best match at least since the BOSJ final (almost on par as Okada vs Omega at Dominion, if you gave this that stip they would have surpassed it). Easily one of the best sub 40 minute matches of all time. Ibushi truly is the best worker in the world (could literally take a broom to a 4 and a half star match) and Okada truly may be the best overall wrestler in the world (helps when he's across from high caliber talent, he wrestles up to their level, though on the flip side he wrestles down to guys like Jericho as well). This started a bit slow but Ibushi was just like, nah we're putting this into high gear, we got a ton of dangerous spots involving the apron, the neck of Ibushi (to be expected), great counter sequences. A lot more grounded this match was than a normal Ibushi match, this focused on Ibushis striking (and Okada struggles against the striking types a lot in kafaybe so this makes sense). At the end, Ibushi got to kick out of a proper wind up rainmaker, Okada also kicked out of the kamigoye (though not the full exposed one) but Okada wins and goes onto face Naito tomorrow night.

Overall, fantastic show, better than pretty much any new japan show since Dominion in 2018 to be honest and a lot of that has to do with 2 MOTY level matches and consistent quality up and down the card (especially the title matches, all of them delivered incredibly well).

Night 2 should be fantastic as well, Ibushi vs White, KENTA vs Goto, Juice vs Moxley, the jr heavyweight tag team titles should be fairly good (they have to be given that both the tag team title match and the jr heavyweight title match was on another level).
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,217

Post#468 » by LLJ » Sat Jan 4, 2020 8:23 pm

I'd be shocked if Naito doesn't get it done and beat Okada this time. Granted, I thought WK12 was his moment too, but it feels like Naito's down to his last big shot here. If he doesn't win here, his body probably won't hold up another 2 years at a high enough level.

I think White is actually the best booked heel in the business, and is a great pure heel for NJPW. Those title reigns he got over the last 2 years sell him as a legit constant threat. Unlike SOME promotions whose heels never feel like a threat, White is someone you hate but always feels like he has a chance of winning a big match. On his end, he's come a long way as a worker. He doesn't wrestle a style people always like, but there's no doubt he can hang with a lot of the top guys now. Hopefully he stays in NJPW for most of his career.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#469 » by Spens1 » Sun Jan 5, 2020 11:35 am

Night 2 is done and great card overall, not the same quality match wise but still very solid overall and very story heavy.

Did not bother watching the 6 man title match (waste of time that belt is) but glad Shingo, Bushi and EVIL won) (fun fact, EVIL apparently is dating Io Shirai, so he's winning at life, then again so is she).

Liger Retirement Match - Liger & Sano vs Hiromu & Lee - **3/4

This was actually a fairly full on match in truth, The two very different ages showed here and it didn't feel that different from a normal match, but of course the emotion once Liger made his entrance, it finally hit

IWGP jr heavyweight Championship - Ishimori & El Phantasmo vs Roppongi 3K (Sho & Yoh) - **1/4

I couldn't care less if i tried for this match. Seriously this is the worst division in the entire company.

Revolution Pro British Heavyweight Championship - Zack Sabre Jr vs Sanada - ***1/2

Didn't really have the same effect as the other matches in their series i felt, this was maybe a bit short and a bit of an inconsequential match but still, pretty good overall i feel but amongst their worst of their series together. Bit of a dissappointment in truth that we didn't get to see international Sanada this year (given how over he is) but i feel he'll get a higher singles title.

IWGP United States Championship - Moxley vs Robinson - ****

This was a really good brawl of a match between the two. The two have shown yet again how good their chemistry is. One good thing out of an AEW/NJPW partnership is Juice being the AEW main event scene (honestly, he would be cause he'd be like the #2-#3 babyface) and more matchups with Moxley over there. Alas, Fin & Juice (which is how i'll refer to them cause its such a good name).

After the match, Suzuki comes out and challenges Moxley, they get into a brawl, Mox is tired of course and Suzuki gets the upper hand, gets the sleeper and hits the gotch style piledriver and cuts a promo. That should be a great match ahead of the new beginning tour (also good to see Suzuki isn't going anywhere just yet).

Never Openweight Championship - Kenta vs Goto - ****1/4

This was a really good, hard hitting match that built up into the stiffness rather than starting with it out of the gate. I'm pretty meh on Goto winning this cause its Goto and what does it matter at this point but after what happened later, at least Kenta is getting past that division.

Jay White vs Kota Ibushi - ****

A lot of Gedo shenanigans being the only reason that White won but we did get a lot sadistic Ibushi tonight (hopefully this is some long term storytelling or something happens tomorrow or in the near future with this). White probably has a world title match at New Beginning whilst Ibushi will start the slow build to the top again (and his will be a long road i feel, but rewarding at the end of the day).

Chris Jericho vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - ***3/4

technically, both men are kind of cooked and it showed, luckily both are up their amongst the best still when it comes to psychology and this is what this match heavily relied upon. The forbidden door remains closed for now. Good decision here i think for one reason, i think they should just have Bullet Club randomly attack Kenny or Moxley or a main eventer.

IWGP Heavyweight and IWGP Intercontential Championship - Kazuchika Okada vs Tetsuya Naito - *****

If the last match was two of the best beforehand, these two are the two best right now. The Company Ace vs the People's Ace in the most important match possibly of all time. There are few matches as important as this really. Okada had much of the offense in the first half of the match, second half swung naito's favour but the last 5 or so minutes, wow, back and forth and Okada hits a rainmaker and i thought that was it, bitter tragedy of Naito, but nope, he kicks out, Naito hits destino and okada kicks out, naito hits stardust genius and kicks out and i thought that's it, Okada's winning, but Naito hits Valentia and then a final destino to finally get the win.

Now onto the post match, i think this was absolutely stupid but i get why they did it cause it was meant to be the huge moment (it makes Kenta the biggest heel in the company) but they could have waited one more night i think, mainly cause of the roll call. I was way madder at first but i think if Naito does go the year as champ (and i think he will hold that belt for a while since the only two guys who are coming close to that belt is Ibushi and White and i don't see Ibushi getting close yet) and then have the roll call next year on the 4th next year. We do have a title match though for New Beginning. Also where on earth was LIJ in all of this besides Bushi, absolutely rubbish display (though i have a feeling LIJ will end tomorrow night out strong).

My guess is IC title match of Kenta vs Naito (and Naito could very well lose) and World title match of White vs Naito (which Naito will win i'd say)
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,217

Post#470 » by LLJ » Sun Jan 5, 2020 8:54 pm

It's a funny thing how the real climax of the main event hinged on Naito's Stardust Press. Not a big bump or power move, just one move with a lot of history. He had to finally hit it because he had to reconcile with his past, yet he also couldn't win with it because he's not the Stardust Genius anymore.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#471 » by Spens1 » Mon Jan 6, 2020 3:47 am

Don't forget, New Years Dash tonight (around 6:30 Japanese time, 8:30 AEDT or in about 5 and a half hours from this post).
Spens1
RealGM

Post#472 » by Spens1 » Sat Feb 1, 2020 2:27 am

New Japan Pro Wrestling could soon find a permanent home on US television.

Up to this point, the King of Sports' English language broadcasts have been restricted to those with access to, um, AXS, and the company's over-the-top streaming service, New Japan World. The former previously offered a package of New Japan content, whilst the latter's live output currently only includes pay-per-views.

According to Dave Meltzer, writing in this week's issue of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, communication between New Japan and multinational TV channel Viceland have opened over a possible US deal. Viceland have previously produced wrestling documentaries The Wrestlers and Dark Side of the Ring, each to critical acclaim.

Meltzer writes:

It’s a long process because TV-Asahi owns the footage rights and the AXS/New Japan deal was originally between AXS and TV-Asahi.
NJPW have been making a pointed effort to break into the American market for the past few years, running several tours in the country and even launching an IWGP United States Championship (currently held by Jon Moxley). However, it's believed that a lack of international television presence is seriously affecting their ability to make an impact in the States. The first show of their most recent trip to the USA, in St. Petersburg, FL, sold just 863 tickets. The next, in Nashville, TN drew even worse, attracting only 560 paid.

Meltzer also writes that WWE's affiliation with CyberAgent - a major Japanese media company looking to take over Pro Wrestling NOAH - could hamper New Japan's dominance at home:

CyberAgent is larger than [New Japan owners] Bushiroad, and everyone also knows that WWE is coming with an NXT brand in Japan. There is the feeling that a WWE/CyberAgent affiliation could be a threat to New Japan’s market domination far more than either could separately.

Theoretically, WWE's association could see NOAH talent working on the other side of the pond as well, further damaging New Japan's chances of making it big across the Pacific.

https://whatculture.com/wwe/njpw-us-tv-deal-in-the-works

Basically New Japan and Viceland (the makers of the darkside of the ring documentary) are interested in picking up TV Asahi's New Japan coverage. This would be absolutely huge and probably an upgrade on AXS if this comes to pass (and honestly, they are natural partners as they focus on non-english content).

This could also mean more international deals, Vice has subsidiary channels in Canada, The UK, The Netherlands, has a block of programming in SouthEast asia and in Australia (where its a Digital Free to Air channel that's a subsidiary of SBS, one of our two national channels and the main ethnically geared channel, whilst Fox 8 which WWE airs on probably has a much greater market share as its the most popular paytv entertainment channel, if New Japan could pull this off, they'd be the only wrestling promotion on free to air tv).

In lesser news, apparently this new beginning show tonight is Chase Owens last date, could be just the case of him going back to japan to sign a new deal (new japan loves them 1 year deals, its whats going to lose them Archer). I hope they keep him cause he's the perfect fall guy, decent in the ring, smarmy heel and great at getting the other guy over, you need guys like that. The only way they could get around this is honestly turning Henare heel and have him join Bullet Club (cause Henare is in a similar situation atm, but he at least has more potential to go up the card). However, this story probably is a non-starter as Gedo is incredibly high on him (probably too high, he gets random US Title shots and i am at a loss as to why).
Spens1
RealGM

Post#473 » by Spens1 » Sat Feb 1, 2020 12:52 pm

Night 1 of the New Beginning Tour proper began with New Beginning at Sapporo (night 1 of 2).

I only caught the tail end of the show really

Jay White & KENTA vs Naito and Sanada. Naito is going to win against KENTA, no question but he's the perfect first defense to have, on the other hand, i genuinly believe Sanada might beat White (via rollup or something mind you).

Mox & Okada vs Suzuki & Taichi, This was a damn good brawl for a tag team match, at the end, Suzuki pinned Moxley to i guess offcially earn the match (even though its already set). After the match, Taichi attacked Okada, Okada got the upper hand again but ZSJ came in and attacked Okada, then in came Ospreay trying to fight off both men to no avail, ZSJ clocks Ospreay, Taichi hits Okada with the iron fingers and also hit black mephisto on the ramp. I hope Taichi beats Okada (hometown crowd after all more or less for our lord and saviour). I can totally see ZSJ losing the Rev Pro belt however to Ospreay as he goes to heavyweight (and i'd imagine Andy Q will want a lot more Ospreay at rev Pro).

Then the two singles and both of them, my god, this is why i love New Japan as much as i do, both matches had very high expectations going in (i say this every time, Ishii doesn't have bad matches, ever, he's been the best wrestler in the world along with Kota Ibushi for the last 3 years in terms of in ring action, other than last year cause Ospreay & Shingo where on another level).

Ishii vs EVIL, this match was beautiful strong style wrestling combined with EVIL going up against his final boss of Ishii for a story and both men trying to get any kind of momentum after abysmal 2nd halves to 2019 (both hadn't won a singles match since G1 last year, that was in August by the way), expect that rivalry to continue for a while. Super hard hitting and stiff and so many close falls, great offensive combos, insults flying, outside spots, trading shots and everything else you love about wrestling (minus maybe high flying, this didn't have that :lol: ). In the end, Ishii prevailed but really only just as this could have gone either way. I hate using cliches like this but this was a Wrestle Kingdom caliber singles match, if it had gone on 3rd or 4th to last and the NEVER belt was on the line i wouldn't have batted an eye, this was that good.

Goto vs Takagi for the NEVER Openweight title - This maniacs had to follow Ishii and EVIL and they delivered. Honestly i don't know which match out of the two was better (leaning towards the main event) but frankly i don't care because i loved both matches so much. This was another strong style showcase of trading shots, insults, offensive combos, counters, hulking up etc. Goto actually looks like the Goto of old (from like 2008-2011 when he was a believable threat to the world title), he actually is finally again a world title caliber wrestler so Shibata is working miracles not only with young lions (seriously though, we need a Shibata led faction with Goto to be a thing) and Takagi is on another level right now. If 2019 was Ospreay's year, 2020 is looking to be Shingo's. Don't be fooled however, whilst this was strong style, this was a bloody fast match and high octane. The ending was a bit of a shock though but did not mind it one bit, this didn't feel like it went nearly 25 minutes.

Overall from what i saw, absolutely flawless pretty much, enjoyed every minute of the two singles matches and even the two tags i watched where very good build ups.

There is a new beginning USA show in a few hours apparently (won't stay up for that, its being main evented by FinnJuice vs G.O.D since Ibushi is off that tour due to illness) and then tomorrow afternoon is ZSJ vs Ospreay and Taichi vs Okada.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#474 » by Spens1 » Sun Feb 2, 2020 12:46 pm

Spoiler:
G.O.D won the tag team titles in Atlanta off FinnJuice, you know how i was saying WWE had some of the worst tag team booking, i lied, New Japan has to be the worst tag team division and booking in the world out of all the major promotions. What the hell was the point of them losing the belts at the dome then. Absolute farce to be honest.

Anyway onto the stuff that matters, night 2 of Sapporo, again, cbf with the tag team stuff cause whilst its building up, we kind of know what it is. I need to go back and watch the young lions match and Gabriel Kidd's debut. Also noticed new young boys from the japanese dojo at ringside which was interesting. Was wondering when we'd get to see them, wonder when they'll debut (i'd imagine shortly as Oka and Kawato can't be that far off a return and Umino and Narita are both into their excursions now).

ZSJ vs Ospreay was a really good match, Ospreay actually was dominant in this one and looked good against ZSJ, a lot of technical wrestling and back and forth with them showing Ospreay having a massive power edge. ZSJ wasn't playing any games here as well. In the end, stormbreaker was countered into a finishing submission (forgot the name of it) and Ospreay passed out.

Okada vs Taichi was fantastic as well, crowd firmly behind Taichi but the ending
Spoiler:
run from it, dread it, lolokadawins :nonono: like they couldn't even give Taichi some momentum and a hometown win that's a worrying sign for him for the rest of this year
, anyway one of the best taichi matches of his career (2nd only to that ishii match in truth).
Spens1
RealGM

Post#475 » by Spens1 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 8:22 am

Currently watching the New Beginning show. They just announced another MSG show (this one called Wrestle Dynasty) and it looks like they're going solo, unless they have something up their sleeve (ROH won't do anything, they need AEW pretty much or at least Kenny).

Also New Japan is back on prime time tv again on TV Asahi, 8pm on a friday night for the first time in decades, that iconic timeslot, the same as New Japan on the 80's and 90's.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#476 » by Spens1 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:16 pm

Shingo vs ishii just happened and my god, MOTY candidate right here, easy 5 stars, do yourself a favour and watch this match, it was a 27 minute slugfest. Two of the best wrestlers alive today, the MVP of New Japan of the last 5 years arguably, Tomohiro Ishii and the best wrestler in the world today one could argue, Shingo Takagi, add those two elements and you get a great match.

Jr Heavyweight title match was a good match as well.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#477 » by Spens1 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:53 am

Cup Bracket is here and it looks good. some of them matchups in the first round will be amazing.

KENTA vs Karl Fredericks is a grudge match with the student looking for revenge for the master (though KENTA will probably end him in about 10 minutes and goad on shibata).
Spens1
RealGM

Post#478 » by Spens1 » Tue Jun 9, 2020 12:56 pm

For the first time since February, New Japan is going to be back.

June 15 return to shows. NO AUDIENCE with 9 shows to follow into July
June 16 - July 3 New Japan Cup 2020 Special. 1st round matches announced
June 24 and July 1 - New Japan Cup 2nd round
July 2 - NJ Cup Quarter Final
July 3 - NJ Cup Semi Final
July 11 - Osaka Jo Hall Day 1 (1st show with audience at 1/3 capacity) - NJ Cup Final
July 12 - Osaka Jo Hall Day 2 (Dominion) - Double championship match (Heavyweight & IC) vs NJ Cup Winner
Tanahashi to speak for the fans
All shows will be on NJPW World

Tanahashi speaking to fans is interesting, he's totally going to be smashed. Double Championship match at Osaka Jo, yeah i think Naito retains that (then again he was going to anyhow). They'd be stupid not to.

Cup bracket is diferent as well due to the restrictions and foreign talent being unable to enter (though ZSJ is in somehow, didn't realise he was still in Japan). Shame for guys like Ospreay, Juice and the L.A young lions so as you can see, they're relying heavily on the dads and some juniors (even Gedo and Jado are getting a run out). the left side of the bracket is WEAK (with only Ishii, Okada and Suzuki posing a threat, unless Hiromu somehow wins). Right side though, good god, it has every other main eventer and upper mid carder on the roster that isn't Naito pretty much.

Spens1
RealGM

Post#479 » by Spens1 » Tue Jun 9, 2020 1:11 pm

Anyway my picks

Round 1:

Makabe vs Tsuji (Makabe)
Ishii vs Desperado (Ishii)
Yano vs Jado (Yano)
Honma vs Takahashi (Takahashi)
Okada vs Gedo (Okada)
Nagata vs Suzuki (Suzuki via murder)
Uemura vs Kanemaru (Kanemaru)
Kidd vs Ishimori (Ishimori)

Tanahashi vs Taichi (Taichi, its an either way one but Taichi is kind of due a big win and Tanahashi is prime for dad status)
Ibushi vs ZSJ (Again, either way but Ibushi)
Taguchi vs Sanada (Sanada)
Sho vs Shingo (Sho, got to set up that dominion defense for the NEVER Openweight title somehow)
Tenzan vs Yoshi-Hashi (Tacos, he's lucky he's got tenzan cause if he had Nagata, he'd probably lose)
Yoh vs Bushi (Yoh)
Kojima vs EVIL (EVIL, easily)
Goto vs Takahashi (Goto, though it is Gedo so he'd totally have Big Yuj win)

Round 2:
Makabe vs Ishii (Ishii, in a banger)
Yano vs Takahashi (Takahashi, in a banger as well)
Okada vs Suzuki (Okada, albeit just)
Kanemaru vs Ishimori (Ishimori)

Taichi vs Ibushi (Ibushi)
Sanada vs Sho (Sanada)
Yoshi-Hashi vs Yoh (Yoshi-Hashi, in what will be the biggest push for the last 5 years)
EVIL vs Goto (EVIL, cause Goto is suffering)

Quarter Finals:
Ishii vs Takahashi (Ishii, i'm going to claim potential MOTY candidate as well)
Okada vs Ishimori (Okada)

Ibushi vs Sanada (Sanada, he needs that big win here)
EVIL vs Yoshi-Hashi (lol, EVIL)

Semi Finals:
Ishii vs Okada (Okada)
EVIL vs Sanada (Sanada)

Final:
Sanada vs Okada (Sanada, why, cause Sanada is Okada's 'rival', they'll need to start paying off those wins in meaningful matches, this will be Sanada's first big win and they're not going to run it back with Naito vs Okada so quickly, or at least Gedo needs to keep it in his pants and not).

The original bracket, i said it would be White or Sanada and probably a White/Sanada final so this has thoroughly messed things up, cause White (one of the four main eventers) is not there (i thought he lived in Japan but whatever i guess).

This could be very good for some stars, like Sanada i think was going to be a made man but EVIL could play a bigger role here.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#480 » by Scott Hall » Tue Jun 9, 2020 6:02 pm

Spens1 wrote:Image

Cup Bracket is here and it looks good. some of them matchups in the first round will be amazing.

KENTA vs Karl Fredericks is a grudge match with the student looking for revenge for the master (though KENTA will probably end him in about 10 minutes and goad on shibata).

I saw this last night on Twitter and my first thought was Okada is gonna win isn't he? He always seems to win or
be in the main event. I'd like to see some new blood win and see NJPW make a new star.

Return to Pro Wrestling