Lucha Underground Thread

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Re: Lucha Underground Thread 

Post#101 » by Spens1 » Sat Jun 3, 2017 11:18 pm

This week was great, very solid match between the two of them.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#102 » by improper » Thu Jun 8, 2017 6:29 am

Holy hell that kendo shot Mack took to the face was brutal.

I thought their match this week was even better than last.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#103 » by improper » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:30 am

Just re-watched the Vampiro/Pentagon match from the end of season one. Such a fantastic match.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#104 » by improper » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:45 am

Jesus...I am watching the Jeremiah Crane versus Killshot match in Lucha Undreground from a few weeks ago and I'm surprised neither of these guys is dead. They beat the holy hell out of each other.

Can't believe WWE dropped the ball on Crane (Sami Callihan in the indies and Solomon Crowe in NXT). This dude is incredible.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#105 » by Spens1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:45 am

the carny promotion known as AAA (i mean they make TNA look tame by comparison). decided to strip Taya of her title.

But it gets better, do you know how they did it. They had the current AAA champion (and he holds like all the belts also) Johnny Mundo, bring his GF's belt down so they could get a photo shoot and ended up stripping of her belt there and then.

Afterwards, Sexy Star somehow came back from retirement to win the belt.

So now Taya is saying she isn't working for AAA and they now have a very, VERY unhappy champion in Johnny Mundo. Luckily they both seem to want to continue with Lucha Underground.

However both have serious heat with Vampiro (the talent relations manager for AAA) because he didn't even tell Taya anything about this.

Things look like they'll come to ahead at comic-con in San Diego this weekend also. Should be fun :lol:
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#106 » by Marcus » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:24 pm

improper wrote:Jesus...I am watching the Jeremiah Crane versus Killshot match in Lucha Undreground from a few weeks ago and I'm surprised neither of these guys is dead. They beat the holy hell out of each other.

Can't believe WWE dropped the ball on Crane (Sami Callihan in the indies and Solomon Crowe in NXT). This dude is incredible.

Yeah Sami never got a fair shake I don't think. They should have been able to find something for him to connect with. He has a fairly strong indie following and the majority of NXT fans are indie heads so one would think he could flourish. Could have been a timing thing though. They seem to be more open to the indie guys lately.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#107 » by improper » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:58 pm

Marcus wrote:
improper wrote:Jesus...I am watching the Jeremiah Crane versus Killshot match in Lucha Undreground from a few weeks ago and I'm surprised neither of these guys is dead. They beat the holy hell out of each other.

Yeah Sami never got a fair shake I don't think. They should have been able to find something for him to connect with. He has a fairly strong indie following and the majority of NXT fans are indie heads so one would think he could flourish. Could have been a timing thing though. They seem to be more open to the indie guys lately.

Yeah, I think he hit NXT at the wrong time. That strong, hard-hitting style has become a lot more popular and has basically overtaken NXT at this point, whereas when he was there the landscape was dominated by really good traditional wrestlers like Zayn, Owens, and Neville.

I also think that, at that point, his size was seen as a limiting factor, whereas now NXT is filled with smaller guys who are great wrestlers and no one seems to mind. I think Hunter has increasingly been given more control over the types of guys he brings in, and he's more concerned with bringing in the best talent than bringing in the types of guys that Vince likes.

Finally, I think that they just didn't let him be himself, or maybe he made a conscious decision to try to be more like the guys he thought they wanted. I remember reading a story from Owens about how, when he first started in NXT, he wore a one-piece because he thought they'd want him to. He then had someone tell him that he needed to do what got him there, and so he went back to his traditional outfit. Sami too wore a one-piece, and it just didn't fit his character. He's a guy who is meant to wrestle in street clothes.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#108 » by Dominator83 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:05 am

improper wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Yeah, I think he hit NXT at the wrong time. That strong, hard-hitting style has become a lot more popular and has basically overtaken NXT at this point, whereas when he was there the landscape was dominated by really good traditional wrestlers like Zayn, Owens, and Neville.

I also think that, at that point, his size was seen as a limiting factor, whereas now NXT is filled with smaller guys who are great wrestlers and no one seems to mind. I think Hunter has increasingly been given more control over the types of guys he brings in, and he's more concerned with bringing in the best talent than bringing in the types of guys that Vince likes.

Finally, I think that they just didn't let him be himself, or maybe he made a conscious decision to try to be more like the guys he thought they wanted. I remember reading a story from Owens about how, when he first started in NXT, he wore a one-piece because he thought they'd want him to. He then had someone tell him that he needed to do what got him there, and so he went back to his traditional outfit. Sami too wore a one-piece, and it just didn't fit his character. He's a guy who is meant to wrestle in street clothes.

From what I recall, Owen's always wore 1 pieces in ROH when he was Mr. Wrestling Kevin Steen. Atleast 10 years ago he was
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#109 » by WRau1 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:19 am

Dominater wrote:
improper wrote:
Marcus wrote:

From what I recall, Owen's always wore 1 pieces in ROH when he was Mr. Wrestling Kevin Steen. Atleast 10 years ago he was

He did, the majority of his career has been in a singlet.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#110 » by improper » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:13 am

WRau1 wrote:He did, the majority of his career has been in a singlet.

It seemed that what got him on WWE's radar though was his ROH work, and for that he was working as much the same character as he is in using now.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#111 » by WRau1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:44 am

improper wrote:
WRau1 wrote:He did, the majority of his career has been in a singlet.

It seemed that what got him on WWE's radar though was his ROH work, and for that he was working as much the same character as he is in using now.

Agree.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#112 » by improper » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:57 am

Is there a better worker out there right now than Mil Muertes? I feel like every match he's in is fantastic.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#113 » by Spens1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:18 am

improper wrote:Is there a better worker out there right now than Mil Muertes? I feel like every match he's in is fantastic.

they give him that big match monster feel after all. He really is something else.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#114 » by improper » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:26 am

Spens1 wrote:
improper wrote:Is there a better worker out there right now than Mil Muertes? I feel like every match he's in is fantastic.

they give him that big match monster feel after all. He really is something else.

Yup, and he delivers on his end of the booking by constantly going out there and killing it in the ring.

Lucha Underground has a ton of guys that are basically always great. Puma, Killshot, Mack, Mundo, Phoenix, Havoc...there are a lot of incredible talents on that roster.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#115 » by improper » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:17 am

Ultima Lucha Tres got off to an amazing start this week. The Hell of War match between Killshot and Dante Fox was one of the most brutal, violent matches I've ever seen, and was easily one of the best three or four matches from season three of Lucha Underground. Anyone who loves wrestling owes it to themselves to watch it.

You can watch the whole episode on YouTube apparently, at least until it gets taken down:
Spens1
RealGM

Post#116 » by Spens1 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:58 am

Ultima Lucha always delivers. I've been hearing really good things about Killshot and Dante. Sounds like one of the best hardcore matches from the last few years.

Sadly its blocked by MGM because Lucha Underground don't care about anyone outside of America (seriously, we don't have it on netflix and it ain't even on our itunes, streaming it is then i guess).
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#117 » by improper » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:29 pm

Lucha Underground has officially been renewed for season four!
Spens1
RealGM

Post#118 » by Spens1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:03 am

Fantastic. Hopefully they give Cueno a push. I want them to explore his character more.

Also more Pentagon Jr is always good.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#119 » by improper » Mon Jul 2, 2018 8:30 am

This thread needs a bump.

Just got caught up on the latest episode. That triple threat between Mil, Phoenix, and Crane was fantastic. Mil Muertes is one of my favorite big match guys. I feel like he always delivers.

WWE should strap Roman to a chair Clockwork Orange style and just make him watch Mil Muertes matches on repeat while saying, "This is what you should be."

Also enjoyed that XO Lishus debut. Fun match and I liked how his move set complements his gimmick.

Oh, and Catrina this year... :droop:
Spens1
RealGM

Post#120 » by Spens1 » Tue Jul 3, 2018 10:31 am

improper wrote:This thread needs a bump.

Just got caught up on the latest episode. That triple threat between Mil, Phoenix, and Crane was fantastic. Mil Muertes is one of my favorite big match guys. I feel like he always delivers.

WWE should strap Roman to a chair Clockwork Orange style and just make him watch Mil Muertes matches on repeat while saying, "This is what you should be."

Also enjoyed that XO Lishus debut. Fun match and I liked how his move set complements his gimmick.

Oh, and Catrina this year... :droop:

Not everyone can have a Catrina.

Lucha Underground this year seems like the best its been since around season 2, it looks genuinly good.

Return to Pro Wrestling