NXT Championship: Aleister Black (c) vs. Lars Sullivan
Street Fight: Johnny Gargano vs. Tommaso Ciampa
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Re: NXT Thread II 

Post#1642 » by studcrackers » Tue May 15, 2018 4:12 am

NXT is comin to dallas this friday and I got a couple tickets so im pretty pumped about that. wonder what kinda card they'll have. lookin forward to see Velveteen especially
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1643 » by Ruzious » Tue May 15, 2018 7:10 pm

iMoreland wrote:
Spoiler:
TakeOver Chicago II card so far

Ricochet vs. Velveteen Dream
Undisputed Era vs. Danny Burch, Oney Lorcan, and Pete Dunne
NXT Women's Championship: Shayna Baszler (c) vs. Nikki Cross
NXT Championship: Aleister Black (c) vs. Lars Sullivan
Street Fight: Johnny Gargano vs. Tommaso Ciampa

Wow, all great matchups.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#1644 » by iMoreland » Tue May 22, 2018 9:17 am

War Raiders are pretty lame
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#1645 » by Scott Hall » Wed May 23, 2018 3:26 am

iMoreland wrote:War Raiders are pretty lame

There's so many huge/fat hairy guys on the roster their look really doesn't stand out
iMoreland
Lead Assistant

Post#1646 » by iMoreland » Thu May 24, 2018 4:52 am

Danny Burch and Oney Lorcan vs Kyle O'Reilly and Roderick Strong confirmed for the next TakeOver,

F*** yeah
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#1647 » by improper » Thu May 24, 2018 6:12 am

iMoreland wrote:Danny Burch and Oney Lorcan vs Kyle O'Reilly and Roderick Strong confirmed for the next TakeOver,

F*** yeah

Match won't have a lot of hype but it should be a hell of a lot of fun.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#1648 » by Scott Hall » Thu May 24, 2018 10:15 am

Velveteen Dream is the first blue chip prospect I've seen in awhile can't believe how good he is at such
a young age. When I watch him I see about 5 different legends from the past rolled into one.

I can't believe with all the women they had for the Mae Young Classic Dakota Kai got hired.

It almost felt strange not to have the fake media segment this week. It always cracks me up how they repeatedly
have this especially for a developmental system and not the main roster. I think they have more "media" covering
NXT then the NBA/NHL Finals lol

Not to rag on NXT creative to much I really liked the ending with Ciampa inadvertently hitting Gargano into
Candice LeRae adds a whole other layer to the feud.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#1649 » by WRau1 » Thu May 24, 2018 1:10 pm

Dream is fantastic and has literally everything you want it a top star but I have doubts about his current gimmick. Maybe tweak it a tiny bit on the main roster to a super arrogant, don't touch me type of heel. I just don't think Vince would go for the super flamboyant Velveteen Dream as a serious main eventer.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#1650 » by Scott Hall » Fri May 25, 2018 9:56 pm

WRau1 wrote:Dream is fantastic and has literally everything you want it a top star but I have doubts about his current gimmick. Maybe tweak it a tiny bit on the main roster to a super arrogant, don't touch me type of heel. I just don't think Vince would go for the super flamboyant Velveteen Dream as a serious main eventer.

Vince was super on high Shawn Michaels even letting him get away with horrible behavior and he's kept
Goldust around waaaay past expiration I think he loves the flamboyance.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#1651 » by improper » Fri May 25, 2018 10:00 pm

Scott Hall wrote:Vince was super on high Shawn Michaels even letting him get away with horrible behavior and he's kept

I mean, can anyone here even tell the difference between a Goldust match now and one from the Attitude Era? Dude looks exactly the damn same. Not sure he's aged at all. :lol:
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#1652 » by Scott Hall » Fri May 25, 2018 10:08 pm

improper wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:Vince was super on high Shawn Michaels even letting him get away with horrible behavior and he's kept

I mean, can anyone here even tell the difference between a Goldust match now and one from the Attitude Era? Dude looks exactly the damn same. Not sure he's aged at all. :lol:

He can still perform in the ring but when was the last time anyone cared about the character? Vince created the
gimmick so you know Goldust has got a job for the rest of his life.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,216

Post#1653 » by LLJ » Fri May 25, 2018 10:10 pm

There is a certain subset of fans who still hope Goldust gets a short fluke run with the top title...

Anyway, he apparently is more a trainer now behind the scenes who occasionally still wrestles.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#1654 » by Stanford » Sun May 27, 2018 3:46 pm

What an incredible episode of NXT.

In one hour you had the following:

- A solid one-off tag match between two teams a step below the titles.
    - A solid women's match following a multi-week feud that probably won't result in a Takeover match.
    - A handicap match that made two guys look like the smartest dudes in the company and the other like an absolute monster. Will result in a Takeover match.
    - A captivating main event segment highlighting and advancing a 3 year feud.

In one episode you had a one-off match, a mini storyline, a storyline for Takeover and an epic storyline. Three of the four contained good wrestling matches. All four spent time developing characters.

This is what a wrestling show should look like. Good matches, storylines of varying lengths and complexity, character development and promos only when needed. Raw can't do that in three hours and a giant writing staff.
LLJ
RealGM

Post#1655 » by LLJ » Mon May 28, 2018 4:36 am

Reports going around now that Io Shirai is officially coming to the WWE.

I wonder what that means for Kairi. They have been hesitant in her booking lately and they haven't seemed to invest a lot into building storylines for her. If they have been expecting Io for a while now, that might explain it.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#1656 » by improper » Mon May 28, 2018 5:33 am

LLJ wrote:Reports going around now that Io Shirai is officially coming to the WWE.

I wonder what that means for Kairi. They have been hesitant in her booking lately and they haven't seemed to invest a lot into building storylines for her. If they have been expecting Io for a while now, that might explain it.

I think it's just that they realize that Kairi isn't Asuka. Asuka is a monster, a destroyer of worlds, a beast who just dominates her opponents. Kairi is an underdog face, and thus she has to lose. If underdogs win all the time, they're not underdogs.
LLJ
RealGM

Post#1657 » by LLJ » Mon May 28, 2018 5:43 am

improper wrote:
LLJ wrote:Reports going around now that Io Shirai is officially coming to the WWE.

I think it's just that they realize that Kairi isn't Asuka. Asuka is a monster, a destroyer of worlds, a beast who just dominates her opponents. Kairi is an underdog face, and thus she has to lose. If underdogs win all the time, they're not underdogs.

It's not the winning or losing, it's that Kairi basically has no stories. She hasn't done any promos that I can recall and has very few backstage segments nearly a year into her time on NXT.

Asuka was getting regular backstage segments and promos 3 months into NXT, even though her english was much worse than Kairi's at the time.

It's either that they have been waiting on Io or perhaps the people at NXT felt Asuka is a better actor than Kairi that she can pull off promos and segments even without the english, in a way Kairi can't.

If Io goes to NXT (I'd love to see her hotshotted to the main roster but in reality her style will definitely need adapting, even Asuka had to learn to be more conservative and safer) there's no doubt that Kairi would get overshadowed by Io--yet again! It's a 1 hour show and writing for Japanese wrestlers is tricky enough as it is.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant

Post#1658 » by iMoreland » Mon May 28, 2018 11:33 am

Otis Dozovic is awesome
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#1659 » by WRau1 » Tue May 29, 2018 2:23 am

A new Q&A with Cena where he was asked about NXT. He wants to wrestle on TV for NXT, his choice opponent would be EC3. Cena also is a huge fan of Velveteen Dream.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#1660 » by improper » Tue May 29, 2018 3:02 am

LLJ wrote:It's not the winning or losing, it's that Kairi basically has no stories. She hasn't done any promos that I can recall and has very few backstage segments nearly a year into her time on NXT.

Asuka was getting regular backstage segments and promos 3 months into NXT, even though her english was much worse than Kairi's at the time.

It's either that they have been waiting on Io or perhaps the people at NXT felt Asuka is a better actor than Kairi that she can pull off promos and segments even without the english, in a way Kairi can't.

If Io goes to NXT (I'd love to see her hotshotted to the main roster but in reality her style will definitely need adapting, even Asuka had to learn to be more conservative and safer) there's no doubt that Kairi would get overshadowed by Io--yet again! It's a 1 hour show and writing for Japanese wrestlers is tricky enough as it is.

I mean, she's been involved in a story with Lacey Evans of late, has she not? And let's be honest, it's pretty clear they're just buying time until Kairi takes on Shayna.

She was hurt for a bit, which kept her off TV. Further, she just kind of debuted at a weird time. It was right on the tail of the Asuka reign and it was clearly Ember's turn with the belt after putting over Asuka twice to keep her undefeated. Nikki is gonna get her shot now, and she deserves it, although I don't expect her to actually win the belt. Kairi will be next in line, and has a good shot of being the one to actually take the belt off of Baszler.

The reason Baszler is champ now and not Kairi, by the way, is obviously because transitioning from Ember, a face, to Shayna, a heel, made a lot more sense than having Ember put Kairi over. Kairi will gain a hell of a lot more by beating Shayna over Summerslam weekend than she would have by beating Ember.

Return to Pro Wrestling