Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: WWE General Discussion 

Post#1801 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:57 pm

improper wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:I hadn't been watching wrestling for a good while and am just not starting to get back into it but what the heck is up with the Osaka and Nakamura (spellings?) pushes? Like I'm all for equality, and I don't mind them getting a taste of the spotlight, but their rough English is so bad while on the mic... there are so many ways they could handle this in a better manner. (I don't mean to come off as racist or insensitive and apologize if I offended anyone)

They really need to just keep letting Asuka cut passionate Japanese promos without subtitles. We get the gist. She's going to murder you.

That's a heel/face thing. If they want her to be a heel, she talks all in Japanese. Face - all in English. A subtle mix of the 2 - we get some English and some Japanese. :usa:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#1802 » by loserX » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:01 pm

improper wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:I hadn't been watching wrestling for a good while and am just not starting to get back into it but what the heck is up with the Osaka and Nakamura (spellings?) pushes? Like I'm all for equality, and I don't mind them getting a taste of the spotlight, but their rough English is so bad while on the mic... there are so many ways they could handle this in a better manner. (I don't mean to come off as racist or insensitive and apologize if I offended anyone)

They really need to just keep letting Asuka cut passionate Japanese promos without subtitles. We get the gist. She's going to murder you.

All I could think of was this:

Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,751

Post#1803 » by Stanford » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:57 pm

By the way, how great would Bryan have been in the MMC?
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,176

Post#1804 » by LLJ » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:02 pm

I don't know about the long term WWE plans for Nakamura (I feel like their plans for him are more short term and they don't quiiiite believe in him), but I do get the feeling they have Asuka set up for bigger things for the next 1-2 years, or at least until Ronda is ready to take the ball. I think they will keep trying to get her better with english and trot her out on the mic every once in a while to get her practice. It will be bad for a while, or maybe it will never get good, but they are hoping she gets better. For now they probably just want her to get her lines out even if her delivery is all over the place.

Should she have a mouthpiece? Yes, it would make things easier. They risk her losing her audience if they have her english promo too often. But Vince doesn't like managers. He's in cost cutting mode these days. He doesn't feel they are worth the money for what they do. So he will live with the bad promos.

Why is she getting this push? If you look at all the things that make a superstar, she fits nearly every category except for english ability

1. She's got a unique look
2. She's physically charismatic
3. She's skilled, reliable, and experienced in the ring, not to mention she has a unique and high-speed wrestling style
4. She's got a strong work ethic, never phones in a match
5. She has proven to be physically durable throughout her career
6. She is physically attractive enough to market

And lastly, the WWE has been looking for someone to be the current face of the women's division for a while now, but girls either lacked an "it" factor or weren't willing to take on that role. Alexa and Charlotte are currently the champs but they lack several things that perhaps make them strong enough candidates (Alexa can talk but is VERY suspect in the ring and Charlotte is someone who feels like she's just rehashing her father's gimmick less charismatically). I always felt like they should have built around Sasha, who has nearly everything you'd want, but Sasha for some reason doesn't seem to have Vince's complete trust and has at times hinted at her reluctance about being thrust with the responsibility of being put in such an immense role. There are no other really good candidates. Bayley and Becky are the other two very good wrestlers they have on the main roster but the WWE feels maybe they lack a certain star power (you can agree or disagree with that notion). Much of the women's division is still very green right now and aren't really ready to work big matches.

And going from insiders I've heard, Asuka is looked at with some awe by WWE officials and other female wrestlers backstage. She's apparently got this authority, credibility, and presence and few things seem to really faze her. She can take criticism, boos, people making fun of her english, her nip slips being broadcast and captured by online trolls, and it all seems to roll off her back. So she seems to be the only one really willing to reach for that proverbial "brass ring."

So with all that in mind, maybe they feel going with the foreigner is their best option since Asuka doesn't seem as fazed by the weight of expectations as most women are and she has *enough* of what they like. Honestly, her rise is the most interesting push the WWE has done in a long time because she's such an atypical choice for them to have to carry an entire division. Yet on many levels she does make sense.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1805 » by Stanford » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Are we sure Ronda isn’t a dumb person? That was painful.
LLJ
RealGM

Post#1806 » by LLJ » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:29 am

I don't think Ronda likes talking about the UFC anymore, it's clearly still a sore spot for her. She was being snarky.

She really shouldn't be doing interviews for anyone other than Ellen or fluffy Morning Shows.

When I watch Ronda in the WWE I sometimes wonder if she'll even make it to next Wrestlemania or she'll just up and quit the WWE unexpectedly later in the year. Right now it's like watching a giddy little girl playing with a new toy. I've no doubt she loves watching wrestling, but it's a hard business with many ups and downs and you really have to have it in your blood to last. Wrestlers are some of the most criticized people on social media--every single WWE wrestler nowadays has as many haters as they do fans. Every single WWE wrestler has bad weeks where they botch a match, are booked poorly, or just get into a city that just doesn't take to them and fans rake them over.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1807 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:45 pm

LLJ wrote:I don't think Ronda likes talking about the UFC anymore, it's clearly still a sore spot for her. She was being snarky.

She really shouldn't be doing interviews for anyone other than Ellen or fluffy Morning Shows.

When I watch Ronda in the WWE I sometimes wonder if she'll even make it to next Wrestlemania or she'll just up and quit the WWE unexpectedly later in the year. Right now it's like watching a giddy little girl playing with a new toy. I've no doubt she loves watching wrestling, but it's a hard business with many ups and downs and you really have to have it in your blood to last. Wrestlers are some of the most criticized people on social media--every single WWE wrestler nowadays has as many haters as they do fans. Every single WWE wrestler has bad weeks where they botch a match, are booked poorly, or just get into a city that just doesn't take to them and fans rake them over.

Yeah, she obviously understood the question and just didn't want to answer it and reacted in a pouty way. Frankly, I don't blame her for being annoyed with the stupid question, but she's got to be more professional that and simply say that she doesn't have any plans at the moment for returning to MME. The next time Golic asks an interesting question will likely be the first time. He's like an ESPN robot programmed to ask nothing but insipid questions.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#1808 » by improper » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:16 pm

Ruzious wrote:He's like an ESPN robot programmed to ask nothing but insipid questions.

Isn't that basically everyone on ESPN? It's a network that is now based around hot takes and forcing drama rather than actual news.
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,896

Post#1809 » by skbucks1985 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:37 pm

LLJ wrote:I don't think Ronda likes talking about the UFC anymore, it's clearly still a sore spot for her. She was being snarky.

That bolded part is the understatement of the year. Ronda's never been willing to talk about her MMA career, specifically the end of it. Throughout 2017 she could've done an interview with Ariel Helwani or Kevin Iole or one of many others and talked about it and that would've basically been the end of it. I don't think anyone should have a problem with her choosing not to, but a natural by-product of that is she's going to constantly get a question here and there about it.

The story of Rousey's career is both prodigious success and an inability to deal with failure. She was the youngest person to ever compete in the olympics in judo and then 4 years later got the bronze at the olympics which she considered a disappointment but she was facing people 5-10 years older than her and if she'd come back she would've probably been the favorite to win the gold in 2012. Instead she retired and took up MMA which as everyone knows she had tremendous success but once she failed she couldn't deal with the failure. There's very little reason to believe that if the crowd turns against her or she has some bad matches that she will persevere and overcome that because her career has shown otherwise.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1810 » by Stanford » Wed Apr 4, 2018 3:20 pm

They're still selling Enzo Amore t-shirts on wweshop.com
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#1811 » by Marcus » Wed Apr 4, 2018 5:03 pm

safi wrote:

That bolded part is the understatement of the year. Ronda's never been willing to talk about her MMA career, specifically the end of it. Throughout 2017 she could've done an interview with Ariel Helwani or Kevin Iole or one of many others and talked about it and that would've basically been the end of it. I don't think anyone should have a problem with her choosing not to, but a natural by-product of that is she's going to constantly get a question here and there about it.

The story of Rousey's career is both prodigious success and an inability to deal with failure. She was the youngest person to ever compete in the olympics in judo and then 4 years later got the bronze at the olympics which she considered a disappointment but she was facing people 5-10 years older than her and if she'd come back she would've probably been the favorite to win the gold in 2012. Instead she retired and took up MMA which as everyone knows she had tremendous success but once she failed she couldn't deal with the failure. There's very little reason to believe that if the crowd turns against her or she has some bad matches that she will persevere and overcome that because her career has shown otherwise.

exactly the part i'm waiting to see.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#1812 » by Marcus » Wed Apr 4, 2018 5:12 pm

Ruzious wrote:

Yeah, she obviously understood the question and just didn't want to answer it and reacted in a pouty way. Frankly, I don't blame her for being annoyed with the stupid question, but she's got to be more professional that and simply say that she doesn't have any plans at the moment for returning to MME. The next time Golic asks an interesting question will likely be the first time. He's like an ESPN robot programmed to ask nothing but insipid questions.

still gotta handle that better though or just not agree to go on the shows. It comes off as her still wanting folks to see her in the same light and when/if they don't she gets standoffish.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#1813 » by improper » Wed Apr 4, 2018 5:44 pm

Stanford wrote:They're still selling Enzo Amore t-shirts on wweshop.com

Doubt that means much. Just getting rid of all the ones they'd already printed. Makes more sense to try to make a buck off of them than to just throw them away. If he ever gets convicted of what he's been accused of, I've no doubt those shirts will disappear from the store.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1814 » by Stanford » Wed Apr 4, 2018 7:47 pm

improper wrote:Just getting rid of all the ones they'd already printed.

Seems weird to fire someone because they're accused of rape and then continue selling their t-shirt. You either believe the association affects your reputation as an organization or you don't. I don't see a middle ground. Also, I'm suspect of anyone who would buy an Enzo Amore t-shirt at this point.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#1815 » by improper » Wed Apr 4, 2018 7:52 pm

Stanford wrote:Seems weird to fire someone because they're accused of rape and then continue selling their t-shirt. You either believe the association affects your reputation as an organization or you don't. I don't see a middle ground. Also, I'm suspect of anyone who would buy an Enzo Amore t-shirt at this point.

Well, it seems he was fired more because he didn't inform WWE of the accusation for the several months he knew about it than the allegation itself, which honestly seems like it's probably bogus. He was also fired because he had been a locker room problem for months, and no doubt WWE saw it as a good excuse to just get rid of a headache.
LLJ
RealGM

Post#1816 » by LLJ » Thu Apr 5, 2018 7:47 pm

The Enzo situation is exactly why there are cases where fans don't always know what goes on behind the scenes, and being over isn't always a good reason to push someone. If Enzo were a heavyweight and was pushed according to how over he was, the sh*tstorm would have been bigger when this came out. According to rumours, Roman once kicked him off a bus and everyone applauded that because he was acting like such a jerk.

That said, the WWE has been perfectly willing to push a$$holes in the past.
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#1817 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Apr 7, 2018 1:31 am

Thought we could just discus the HOF here.

Dudleys great... then Hillbilly sucked all the energy out of the room. Wow that was a long speech.

Only good story was him drinking on the plane with André
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#1818 » by WRau1 » Sat Apr 7, 2018 1:34 am

Yeah, Hillbilly went on and on but I didn't mind it. Getting to see the Superstars like that is why I watch the HoF.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#1819 » by LittleOzzy » Sat Apr 7, 2018 1:43 am

Molly Holly is a great speaker.

It's a pity the women back then never really got the chance to work the mic.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#1820 » by WRau1 » Sat Apr 7, 2018 2:13 am

LittleOzzy wrote:Molly Holly is a great speaker.

It's a pity the women back then never really got the chance to work the mic.

She gets hotter and hotter everytime I see her.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz

Return to Pro Wrestling