WWE General Discussion

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,553

Re: WWE General Discussion 

Post#1901 » by Dominator83 » Tue May 8, 2018 10:30 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Well Sting was known as a stand up guy, so he wasn't going to publicly complain and cause drama and discord. But everyone knows that Starcade end was crap and a stupid end to a legendary story line, all because Hogan.

That I will agree. That may have been the worst match in wrestling history if you consider that it had a year and a half worth of build up going into it.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,865

Post#1902 » by Stanford » Tue May 8, 2018 10:34 pm

Dominater wrote:he most certainly deserves to be on once in a while

:roll: Hogan isn't owed anything by anyone at this point.
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#1903 » by Dominator83 » Tue May 8, 2018 10:43 pm

Stanford wrote:
Dominater wrote:he most certainly deserves to be on once in a while

:roll: Hogan isn't owed anything by anyone at this point.

Hes the biggest reason why wrestling is what it is today. Hes in the same tier as the Rock and Austin. Those 3 are why guys like Dolph Ziggler can make $1.5 million a year + bonuses.

But i'll agree to disagree. Im not saying he should be a regular, but he shouldn't be banned either

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1904 » by Stanford » Tue May 8, 2018 10:52 pm

I was referring to his antics outside the ring.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#1905 » by Scott Hall » Wed May 9, 2018 12:54 am

daoneandonly wrote:Well Sting was known as a stand up guy, so he wasn't going to publicly complain and cause drama and discord. But everyone knows that Starcade end was crap and a stupid end to a legendary story line, all because Hogan.

Sting and Hogan have been close friends for years I've never heard either say a bad word about each other.
Once Bret Hart fresh off the Survivor Series screw job got inserted as the special guest ref it junked things up.

Truth is Hogan didn't have many great matches working as a heel because he played an old school "Chicken $hit"
heel that did old school heel tactics that in the 90's was passe at that point. Hogans biggest strengths as a wrestler
is his ability to sell and get compassion from the crowd and his in ring psychology is so much better as a baby face
then a heel.

The thing that I don't understand about people discussing Hogan as a wrestler and his legacy is they only want
to talk about the bad things and not the good things. And most of the bad things are over blown over emphasized
and urban legend.

Outside of Vince he's the most influential person in the history of the business and responsible for where it is today.
Nobody ever talks about all the amazing things he has done and why he's considered the goat by so many and that's
mind boggling to me.

What's funny to me is everyone dawgs the crap out of him on the internet yet on TV he gets the biggest pops
and has the most merch in the crowd. I think a lot of people have other favorite wrestlers and it bothers them
that Hogans legacy is about as legendary as you get so they try to discredit him as much as possible.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1906 » by Stanford » Tue May 15, 2018 3:26 am

There’s something seriously weird going on with this Cena Nikki thing. It has to be a work.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1907 » by Ruzious » Tue May 15, 2018 7:16 pm

Scott Hall wrote:

Sting and Hogan have been close friends for years I've never heard either say a bad word about each other.
Once Bret Hart fresh off the Survivor Series screw job got inserted as the special guest ref it junked things up.

Truth is Hogan didn't have many great matches working as a heel because he played an old school "Chicken $hit"
heel that did old school heel tactics that in the 90's was passe at that point. Hogans biggest strengths as a wrestler
is his ability to sell and get compassion from the crowd and his in ring psychology is so much better as a baby face
then a heel.

The thing that I don't understand about people discussing Hogan as a wrestler and his legacy is they only want
to talk about the bad things and not the good things. And most of the bad things are over blown over emphasized
and urban legend.

Outside of Vince he's the most influential person in the history of the business and responsible for where it is today.
Nobody ever talks about all the amazing things he has done and why he's considered the goat by so many and that's
mind boggling to me.

What's funny to me is everyone dawgs the crap out of him on the internet yet on TV he gets the biggest pops
and has the most merch in the crowd. I think a lot of people have other favorite wrestlers and it bothers them
that Hogans legacy is about as legendary as you get so they try to discredit him as much as possible.

And... he certainly helped the steroid business. He accidentally called them vitamins to the kids watching. Terrific roll model!
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#1908 » by Scott Hall » Tue May 15, 2018 8:31 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:

then a heel.

and urban legend.

mind boggling to me.

And... he certainly helped the steroid business. He accidentally called them vitamins to the kids watching. Terrific roll model!

To bad Steroids had a bad rep by the mid 90's... He could have added that to his promo on the fans when he
turned heel as Hollywood Hogan
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#1909 » by Scott Hall » Tue May 15, 2018 8:37 pm

Stanford wrote:There’s something seriously weird going on with this Cena Nikki thing. It has to be a work.

I think 100% it's a work... That E channel contract they get for their show must be pretty substantial and I believe
it's starting up again this week and outside of Daniel Bryan returning to wrestling there's zero incentive to watch.
3 of the 4 don't wrestle much anymore and what are you gonna do watch Brie sit around all day raising a baby?

Reality shows like these thrive on drama and the best thing to get people to watch is create fake drama
between Cena and Nikki.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#1910 » by Spens1 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:18 am

Scott Hall wrote:
Stanford wrote:There’s something seriously weird going on with this Cena Nikki thing. It has to be a work.

I think 100% it's a work... That E channel contract they get for their show must be pretty substantial and I believe
it's starting up again this week and outside of Daniel Bryan returning to wrestling there's zero incentive to watch.
3 of the 4 don't wrestle much anymore and what are you gonna do watch Brie sit around all day raising a baby?

Reality shows like these thrive on drama and the best thing to get people to watch is create fake drama
between Cena and Nikki.

Oh absolutely, this is 100% a work. I'm telling you this will be the central storyline in the new season of total divas.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#1911 » by iMoreland » Thu May 17, 2018 12:49 am

Read on Twitter

So basically, USA network is keeping Raw but at 3x the current price (which is rumored to be $500M) and SmackDown is possibly going to another network. If someone like Fox picks up SmackDown that would be crazy.

If I recall correctly, Fox executives met with WWE officials at a SmackDown show (they didn't go to Raw) a few months back.

Basically, all of this is WWE making a sh*t ton of more money. But Vince has no idea what he's doing right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1912 » by Stanford » Thu May 17, 2018 1:49 am

iMoreland wrote:But Vince has no idea what he's doing right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He's a billionaire that should be a... trillionaire?
Spens1
RealGM

Post#1913 » by Spens1 » Thu May 17, 2018 2:08 am

iMoreland wrote:
Read on Twitter

So basically, USA network is keeping Raw but at 3x the current price (which is rumored to be $500M) and SmackDown is possibly going to another network. If someone like Fox picks up SmackDown that would be crazy.

If I recall correctly, Fox executives met with WWE officials at a SmackDown show (they didn't go to Raw) a few months back.

Basically, all of this is WWE making a sh*t ton of more money. But Vince has no idea what he's doing right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well in terms of putting on a good wrestling product, he really doesn't. No one can deny his genius in terms of the business side. He's created a model where he can put on a horrible product and still make major money. He can basically do what he wants and it won't effect his bottom dollar, which is the sad thing.

One can only hope that someone like Cuban with a ton of money gets into wrestling to at least provide a major alternative to whatever the hell this current product is.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#1914 » by Scott Hall » Thu May 17, 2018 4:32 am

Yeah I've always felt Vince is a fantastic business man but has no idea what he's doing on the wrestling side of
things and has been lucky to have a lot of good people around him to steer the ship and a lot of successful things
from the WWE come from other places or sources.

- The Hulkamania boom was stolen away from the AWA
- WrestleMania was a ripoff of Crocketts Starrcade
- Pat Patterson invented the Royal Rumble
- Vince hates and cancelled the King of The Ring one of the company's best PPVs
- He refused to give guaranteed contracts and tried to retire Hogan and Savage to early leading to WCW overtaking the ratings
- The Attitude era was inspired and conceived from ECW and Paul Heyman
- The reason why we have Smackdown is because of WCW Thunder
- A lot of things today are because of innovations from WCW/Bischoff like RAW running past 11pm for example
- Vince took way to long to implement drug testing when deaths in wrestling got out of control and bad PR was prevalent
- The rebirth of ECW was a complete flop with next to no effort put in it
- Ratings dropped heavily since the Attitude Era with a big reason of Vinces stubbornness to shove Cena down peoples throats
- NXT didn't become a success until HHH took over and ran it
- Most pundits say NXT is the best product in WWE right now
- Vince constantly having bad blood with some of the biggest names in history only for HHH to rectify the relationships
- Vince notorious for not pushing guys he didn't create and booking who he likes as opposed to the fans

Would be very interesting to see where we would be without the AWA, ECW, WCW and guys like Gorilla Monsoon,
Pat Patterson and HHH
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#1915 » by studcrackers » Thu May 17, 2018 6:21 am

Scott Hall wrote:

then a heel.

and urban legend.

mind boggling to me.

Read on Twitter
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#1916 » by improper » Thu May 17, 2018 6:26 am

Scott Hall wrote:Yeah I've always felt Vince is a fantastic business man but has no idea what he's doing on the wrestling side of
things and has been lucky to have a lot of good people around him to steer the ship and a lot of successful things

- He refused to give guaranteed contracts and tried to retire Hogan and Savage to early leading to WCW overtaking the ratings
- A lot of things today are because of innovations from WCW/Bischoff like RAW running past 11pm for example
- Vince took way to long to implement drug testing when deaths in wrestling got out of control and bad PR was prevalent
- Ratings dropped heavily since the Attitude Era with a big reason of Vinces stubbornness to shove Cena down peoples throats
- Vince constantly having bad blood with some of the biggest names in history only for HHH to rectify the relationships
- Vince notorious for not pushing guys he didn't create and booking who he likes as opposed to the fans

Would be very interesting to see where we would be without the AWA, ECW, WCW and guys like Gorilla Monsoon,
Pat Patterson and HHH

I think the main strength of Triple H is that he's just willing to delegate. He doesn't have to control every little aspect of the show and stories like Vince does. He hires people who know what they're doing and lets them do it. It's why NXT is amazing and Raw and Smackdown are unwatchable.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#1917 » by Spens1 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:08 am

Scott Hall wrote:Yeah I've always felt Vince is a fantastic business man but has no idea what he's doing on the wrestling side of

Pat Patterson and HHH

Honestly his best innovations came from ideas from other major promotions of competition from them, with no competition, he has no pressure and no promotions to gain ideas from.

Also the AWA would have squandered it given how bad they where run in the 80's (80's AWA may be the one promotion run worse than WCW towards the end).

Without those companies though and just WWE, well wrestling in north america would be stuffed lets be honest. No ROH (because no ECW), no TNA (because no WCW or ECW). the WWE wouldn't be what it is today either. The 2nd largest promotion would be CZW, AAW or PWG most likely. It would be dark.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#1918 » by Scott Hall » Thu May 17, 2018 10:44 am

studcrackers wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:

then a heel.

and urban legend.

mind boggling to me.

Read on Twitter

What's this supposed to do with my message?
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#1919 » by Dominator83 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:36 pm

Pat Patterson and HHH

I would like to add to this regarding the attitude era that gets overlooked: Vince copied from WCW a major thing that really got them going..........Getting the president involved in the storylines with the wrestlers!!!! Vince was just a regular color commentator that would sometimes do in ring interviews. Then Eric Bischoff joins NWO and is actively screwing over the faces as part of the storyline. Next thing you know, Vince is in a storyline feud with Austin. The rest is history

Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#1920 » by Scott Hall » Fri May 18, 2018 2:33 am

Dominater wrote:

Pat Patterson and HHH

I would like to add to this regarding the attitude era that gets overlooked: Vince copied from WCW a major thing that really got them going..........Getting the president involved in the storylines with the wrestlers!!!! Vince was just a regular color commentator that would sometimes do in ring interviews. Then Eric Bischoff joins NWO and is actively screwing over the faces as part of the storyline. Next thing you know, Vince is in a storyline feud with Austin. The rest is history

That's a really good point

Return to Pro Wrestling