WWE General Discussion

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

RightToCensor
Head Coach
And1: 7,410

Re: WWE General Discussion 

Post#941 » by RightToCensor » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:31 am

I can't wait for the Hardys to return. I'm betting a spike in ratings will happen for the month of April. What I really want to happen is Matt to return with his Broken gimmick, and Jeff to return to his 2009 gimmick. They should be separated for now, I'd prefer Matt on Raw and Jeff on Smackdown so I don't have to sit through 3 hours to watch Jeff do his thing.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,863

Post#942 » by Stanford » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:03 am

The story with Smackdown commentator Mauro Ranallo is turning into a complicated situation that might actually involve his broadcast partner JBL.

We briefly alluded to something amiss earlier this month, but the story goes that JBL reportedly went off on Ranallo for missing his first show on 3/14, suggesting that everyone else in the company made it to the arena despite the weather (which is the reason WWE gave at that time for Mauro's absence). JBL then took the tweet down and hasn't said anything about Ranallo since.

While Ranallo himself has kept his online presence limited except for a few tweets thanking everyone for the support, his friend Bas Rutten has made not-so-subtle hints about JBL's role in all of this, at one point tweeting "JBL, please. I mean he was a pro wrestler, but please, you always take care of your broadcast partner. Always."

Those in the know about the situation have indicated that tension has been building between the two, especially since Ranallo in early March tweeted the results of a WON Announcer of the Year awards, where he won for the second straight year.

JBL apparently did not like this at all, as there is a bit of an unwritten rule that you don't acknowledge awards unless they are from your promotion. JBL had previously mocked Ranallo for being so active on Twitter and even said that he blocked him at one point. It is also possible that JBL said something further to Ranallo in private which caused Ranallo to then tweet that "jealousy is one hell of a drug." While he did not specifically mention JBL, pretty much everyone figured that is who he was talking about.

JBL reportedly then continued his with his anger on the next edition of Smackdown on 3/7 after the initial Ranallo tweet about his awards win, criticizing some of Ranallo's commentating and pop culture references. Most took it as "mean spirited" and "vicious" and given Ranallo's ongoing battle with depression and bipolar disorder, it certainly sounds like it has at least contributed somewhat to his absence since.

WWE has made no comment on the matter and the situation is complicated because if and when Ranallo returns - he will be working in close quarters with JBL - and that puts the company in a no-win situation.

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Subscription information & prices available at f4wonline.com

For the love of god, will someone please take a **** in this man's mouth already?
2009NBAChamps
Rookie
And1: 42

Post#943 » by 2009NBAChamps » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:51 am

Yeah, read that earlier. The general wrestling environment is so toxic behind the scenes, and are littered with **** like JBL.

Difficult spot for WWE here. Not really sure how bad Mauro's condition is, but if he can put in a bad spot with JBL, then how do you avoid that, unless serious reprimanding is done to JBL. And I don't see that happening any time soon. More than likely I'm guessing Mauro will get the short end of the stick here and get phased out by Phillips. Which sucks, considering how good he is.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#944 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:45 am

JBL is such a **** twat. I wish there was video of him getting knocked the **** out by little Joey styles.
Do it for Chuck
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#945 » by Spens1 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:10 am

Isn't Mauro best friends with Bas Rutten?

Just have him mess JBL up for good

in fact let JBL run the gaunlet with Blackman, Shamrock and Rutten. throw in Barnett in for good measure also.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#946 » by Spens1 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:11 am

Also if the Hardy's return it better be in their full broken glory
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#947 » by Mich3006 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:14 am

Spens1 wrote:Also if the Hardy's return it better be in their full broken glory

Won´t happen...
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,197

Post#948 » by LittleOzzy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:12 pm

Didn't want to make an extra thread for the Hall of Fame, so hopefully we can discuss the show here.

Watch the 2017 WWE Hall of Fame Ceremony tonight

Who are you most excited to see tonight?
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#949 » by Stanford » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:24 pm

Ayatollah wrote:

Won´t happen...

Broken
is their entire brand right now. They would be foolish to return to the WWE without it.
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,903

Post#950 » by skbucks1985 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:22 pm

Stanford wrote:
Ayatollah wrote:

Won´t happen...

Broken
is their entire brand right now. They would be foolish to return to the WWE without it.

I think its safe to assume that if it doesn't happen it'll be because of the litigation with TNA. They wouldn't be fighting them so much if they were okay with going to WWE without it
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#951 » by skbucks1985 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:44 pm

Did they bring up this JBL-Mauro story on Bring it to the Table? ... No, they didn't. I thought this was supposed to be the edgy show where they tackle the tough topics.

Once Mauro was gone for a couple weeks, I figured it was probably dealing with issues due to him being bi-polar. I figured it was probably just due to his absolutely ridiculous schedule. But this is just so sad. Its true what they say, once a bully always a bully
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#952 » by iMoreland » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:30 pm

Can't wait to see Kurt Angle back tonight
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#953 » by iMoreland » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:41 pm

Meltzer also said that Justin Roberts new book has a lot of references to JBL bullying/harassing him and others
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Post#954 » by Dunthreevy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:18 pm

Stanford wrote:
The story with Smackdown commentator Mauro Ranallo is turning into a complicated situation that might actually involve his broadcast partner JBL.

We briefly alluded to something amiss earlier this month, but the story goes that JBL reportedly went off on Ranallo for missing his first show on 3/14, suggesting that everyone else in the company made it to the arena despite the weather (which is the reason WWE gave at that time for Mauro's absence). JBL then took the tweet down and hasn't said anything about Ranallo since.

While Ranallo himself has kept his online presence limited except for a few tweets thanking everyone for the support, his friend Bas Rutten has made not-so-subtle hints about JBL's role in all of this, at one point tweeting "JBL, please. I mean he was a pro wrestler, but please, you always take care of your broadcast partner. Always."

Those in the know about the situation have indicated that tension has been building between the two, especially since Ranallo in early March tweeted the results of a WON Announcer of the Year awards, where he won for the second straight year.

JBL apparently did not like this at all, as there is a bit of an unwritten rule that you don't acknowledge awards unless they are from your promotion. JBL had previously mocked Ranallo for being so active on Twitter and even said that he blocked him at one point. It is also possible that JBL said something further to Ranallo in private which caused Ranallo to then tweet that "jealousy is one hell of a drug." While he did not specifically mention JBL, pretty much everyone figured that is who he was talking about.

JBL reportedly then continued his with his anger on the next edition of Smackdown on 3/7 after the initial Ranallo tweet about his awards win, criticizing some of Ranallo's commentating and pop culture references. Most took it as "mean spirited" and "vicious" and given Ranallo's ongoing battle with depression and bipolar disorder, it certainly sounds like it has at least contributed somewhat to his absence since.

WWE has made no comment on the matter and the situation is complicated because if and when Ranallo returns - he will be working in close quarters with JBL - and that puts the company in a no-win situation.

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Subscription information & prices available at f4wonline.com

For the love of god, will someone please take a **** in this man's mouth already?

JBL is garbage, and has been garbage for a LONG time. I wish someone would just bust his **** face open. He only does this **** with people that he thinks he can take advantage of.
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#955 » by improper » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:26 pm

iMoreland wrote:Meltzer also said that Justin Roberts new book has a lot of references to JBL bullying/harassing him and others

Ironic that a company that is so public about anti-bullying allows a guy like JBL to continue to be on their payroll.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#956 » by Stanford » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:48 pm

improper wrote:
iMoreland wrote:Meltzer also said that Justin Roberts new book has a lot of references to JBL bullying/harassing him and others

Ironic that a company that is so public about anti-bullying allows a guy like JBL to continue to be on their payroll.

Surprise: It's all bull. Remember this **** tweet?

Read on Twitter

I still can't believe she tweeted this.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#957 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:19 pm

LittleOzzy wrote:Didn't want to make an extra thread for the Hall of Fame, so hopefully we can discuss the show here.

Watch the 2017 WWE Hall of Fame Ceremony tonight

Who are you most excited to see tonight?

Definitely Ricky and Robert. Loved their battles with the Midnight Express and Jim Cornette in the USWA moreso than in WCW and Georgia Championship Wrestling. Haven't seen them in at least a decade, so I'm hoping they aren't crazy toothless bald rednecks.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#958 » by skbucks1985 » Sat Apr 1, 2017 12:07 am

Stanford wrote:
improper wrote:

Surprise: It's all bull. Remember this **** tweet?

Read on Twitter

I still can't believe she tweeted this.

When WWE acts like they are a paragon for women's rights, they deserve to get called out for their decades of misogyny. When they do those black history month videos, they deserve to get called out because African-American wrestlers still are mostly stereotypes and they still employ Michael Hayes and just their absolutely putrid history on the subject.

I have a lot less of a problem with the anti-bullying campaign even though it has the same hypocrisy because of JBL and Vince himself has had more than a couple people say he's a bully. The difference is that while they don't have clean hands on the subject and they're doing it for PR reasons. At the end of the day, I do think their anti-bullying campaign does on some small level help kids and does make those schools and those communities they bring this message to a better place.
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#959 » by detroitKG » Sat Apr 1, 2017 2:26 am

Beth's speech might be behind only Bobby the Brain and Jake Roberts as my favorite of all time! Just awesome!
MistyMountain20
General Manager
And1: 7,166

Post#960 » by MistyMountain20 » Sat Apr 1, 2017 2:34 am

WWE is one of the least progressive companies there is. You have a history of sexism, racism and homophobia. On top of that the way they treat their workers is terrible. Say they're independent contractors, but then make them sign contracts that don't allow them to wrestle anywhere but with you even when you let them go (for a period of time, which is still illegal). They're a completely superficial progressive company and one day they're going to get hit hard.

Return to Pro Wrestling