WWE SmackDown Discussion I

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Vandal Savage
Suspended
And1: 1,123

Re: WWE SmackDown Discussion I 

Post#1761 » by Vandal Savage » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:32 pm

If you want to get the case off him, have him lose it to someone so the case is still in play for the year.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#1762 » by improper » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:55 am

Vandal Savage wrote:If you want to get the case off him, have him lose it to someone so the case is still in play for the year.

Totally agree. I think a case should always be in play. Rather than have a MITB PPV, I'd make it so that, every time a briefcase was cashed in, there would be a MITB match at the next PPV (or the one after that if it was cashed in like a week before the PPV...just gotta be sensible). It just sucks when someone loses the case or cashes it in right after the PPV and we have to go a whole damn year before the next MITB PPV.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1763 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:29 pm

safi wrote:I was listening to an interview from a few days ago with former WWE writer Kevin Eck and he was talking about the Ziggler-Cena feud and how the feud was kinda cut abruptly short because Cena wanted to end it. And the way he described it, it didn't sound like it was due to anything personal, but he just didn't think Dolph was at that top level. Coincidentally, Dolph was also the MITB holder at the time and obviously he did win the title, but Eck said it was only done to get that cash-in moment and that even if Dolph hadn't gotten injured it was always going to be a very short term reign.

I think we're seeing something similar with Corbin. I expect Cena will beat him in a relatively one-sided 6-8 minute match and Corbin will go down the card afterwards. I'm ambivalent about this because I think Corbin's issues are much more fixable than Dolph's and I expect he'll be a world champion at some point. But its become clearer that he's further away than he was a few months ago and he's probably not going to be at the world title level at any point in the next 9-10 months.

If it is somewhat of a squash, I could see a bigger backlash coming against Cena. Granted, trash-talking is part of doing good promos, but sometimes the trash-talking has the effect of the other guy losing value, and I got the impression from watching that exchange between Cena and Corbin that Cena's "straight-talking" was not good for business. Their SummerSlam match should give an indication of where they're going. I've been one of the people always giving Cena the benefit of the doubt, but now I'm starting to find his act tiresome.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,899

Post#1764 » by skbucks1985 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:38 pm

Ruzious wrote:
safi wrote:I was listening to an interview from a few days ago with former WWE writer Kevin Eck and he was talking about the Ziggler-Cena feud and how the feud was kinda cut abruptly short because Cena wanted to end it. And the way he described it, it didn't sound like it was due to anything personal, but he just didn't think Dolph was at that top level. Coincidentally, Dolph was also the MITB holder at the time and obviously he did win the title, but Eck said it was only done to get that cash-in moment and that even if Dolph hadn't gotten injured it was always going to be a very short term reign.

I think we're seeing something similar with Corbin. I expect Cena will beat him in a relatively one-sided 6-8 minute match and Corbin will go down the card afterwards. I'm ambivalent about this because I think Corbin's issues are much more fixable than Dolph's and I expect he'll be a world champion at some point. But its become clearer that he's further away than he was a few months ago and he's probably not going to be at the world title level at any point in the next 9-10 months.

If it is somewhat of a squash, I could see a bigger backlash coming against Cena. Granted, trash-talking is part of doing good promos, but sometimes the trash-talking has the effect of the other guy losing value, and I got the impression from watching that exchange between Cena and Corbin that Cena's "straight-talking" was not good for business. Their SummerSlam match should give an indication of where they're going. I've been one of the people always giving Cena the benefit of the doubt, but now I'm starting to find his act tiresome.

I think you're right on both counts. I think if that transpires you will have a lot of people saying Cena buried Corbin and while I'm not a huge fan of that term, Corbin will be worse off after the Cena feud and will move down the card.

The direction Cena went on the mic was probably not the best idea in retrospect. Cena's gone in this direction, but he's always done it with guys that are much more established and better talkers than Corbin and I don't think Corbin's a bad promo but I do think he's still pretty one-dimensional. And he just couldn't respond in the same way as those guys.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1765 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:08 pm

safi wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

I think you're right on both counts. I think if that transpires you will have a lot of people saying Cena buried Corbin and while I'm not a huge fan of that term, Corbin will be worse off after the Cena feud and will move down the card.

The direction Cena went on the mic was probably not the best idea in retrospect. Cena's gone in this direction, but he's always done it with guys that are much more established and better talkers than Corbin and I don't think Corbin's a bad promo but I do think he's still pretty one-dimensional. And he just couldn't respond in the same way as those guys.

Right, when Cena did that to AJ Styles, Styles could pretty much shrug it off, because he's established as one of the best in the world, but Corbin needs to climb up that ladder instead of getting kicked off. I like Corbin - hopefully they work with him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#1766 » by skbucks1985 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:28 pm

Ruzious wrote:
safi wrote:
Ruzious wrote:If it is somewhat of a squash, I could see a bigger backlash coming against Cena. Granted, trash-talking is part of doing good promos, but sometimes the trash-talking has the effect of the other guy losing value, and I got the impression from watching that exchange between Cena and Corbin that Cena's "straight-talking" was not good for business. Their SummerSlam match should give an indication of where they're going. I've been one of the people always giving Cena the benefit of the doubt, but now I'm starting to find his act tiresome.

Right, when Cena did that to AJ Styles, Styles could pretty much shrug it off, because he's established as one of the best in the world, but Corbin needs to climb up that ladder instead of getting kicked off. I like Corbin - hopefully they work with him.

I'm high on Corbin's upside, but I don't think he's close enough to the spot he's being primed for that justifies a MITB briefcase and a major PPV match with Cena. Would he get there over the next 9 months, I don't know. I think it looks like they feel that giving him the briefcase and giving him this match with Cena was a mistake. But I expect to see him moved down the card, but I don't think they're giving up on him and now maybe they'll move him along more slowly
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#1767 » by tugs » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:18 am

Only way they can salvage this is by Corbin going over Cena. And by going over I mean winning dirty and putting Cena on the shelf. There's just no other way to do it. They're lucky Corbin's a heel and can resort to that type of tactic.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,536

Post#1768 » by Dominator83 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:49 am

safi wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
safi wrote:

I'm high on Corbin's upside, but I don't think he's close enough to the spot he's being primed for that justifies a MITB briefcase and a major PPV match with Cena. Would he get there over the next 9 months, I don't know. I think it looks like they feel that giving him the briefcase and giving him this match with Cena was a mistake. But I expect to see him moved down the card, but I don't think they're giving up on him and now maybe they'll move him along more slowly

If I remember correctly, I also recall Sandow having the briefcase, attempted to cash in on Cena and lost, and he pretty much went in the toilet afterwards. Hopefully we don't see a repeat with Corbin
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,945

Post#1769 » by iMoreland » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:13 pm

Spoiler:
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,536

Post#1770 » by Dominator83 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:21 pm

iMoreland wrote:
Spoiler:

They most definitely should be the show to get him seeing that RAW got Cena for free
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
skbucks1985
RealGM

Post#1771 » by skbucks1985 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:13 am

A glorious referee?

I guess not
iMoreland
Lead Assistant

Post#1772 » by iMoreland » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:26 am

It's a shame Bobby Roode is already 40. Glorious is such a great gimmick.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant

Post#1773 » by iMoreland » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:36 am

Triple H as KO's ref?
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#1774 » by studcrackers » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:49 am

what a fun start to smackdown
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#1775 » by Spens1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:32 am

solid show in fairness. Though the WWE champ in a midcard segment, us title main eventing.

Does feel like Shane screwed Owens. Also not a fan of Shane doing matches, what was it supposed to be, the wrestlers were meant to get the attention, not the freaking McMahon family. Anyway that aside, not that bad, could have been a lot worse.

Oh and of course, GLORIOUS.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#1776 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:32 am

Sami as the ref would've been interesting. Really not interested in watching Shane McMahon do his stunt man thing anymore, nor ever really.
Do it for Chuck
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#1777 » by improper » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:30 am

Spens1 wrote:solid show in fairness. Though the WWE champ in a midcard segment, us title main eventing.

Does feel like Shane screwed Owens. Also not a fan of Shane doing matches, what was it supposed to be, the wrestlers were meant to get the attention, not the freaking McMahon family. Anyway that aside, not that bad, could have been a lot worse.

I don't really mind Shane doing occasional matches, mostly because he's willing to put over guys and a win over him feels like a big deal.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#1778 » by Spens1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:09 am

improper wrote:
Spens1 wrote:solid show in fairness. Though the WWE champ in a midcard segment, us title main eventing.

I don't really mind Shane doing occasional matches, mostly because he's willing to put over guys and a win over him feels like a big deal.

to an extent but at the end of the day he is a non-wrestler. I mean for Owens its not like he has a lot more options (could beat Orton maybe) since they ruined a lot of their talent but regardless, beating Shane doesn't make you look like a better wrestler to be honest.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#1779 » by improper » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:26 am

Spens1 wrote:to an extent but at the end of the day he is a non-wrestler. I mean for Owens its not like he has a lot more options (could beat Orton maybe) since they ruined a lot of their talent but regardless, beating Shane doesn't make you look like a better wrestler to be honest.

It might not make you look like a better wrestler, but we already know that Kevin Owens is a good wrestler. We've seen him put on top-tier matches numerous times in his WWE career against Zayn, Cena, Neville, and Styles (granted his recent matches with Styles have been merely good). Beating Shane, though, signifies the company's belief in him. You don't wrestle a high-profile match against a McMahon unless they consider you an asset backstage. After all, Shane has had two matches since returning. One was against Undertaker. The other was against Styles. Owens is in good company there.

I also think that Shane is fully capable of putting on quality matches even if he's not a regular wrestler. His match with Styles was one of the better matches at 'Mania. Granted, that's not saying much, as the overall quality of that card was not high, but it was still a roughly ***1/2 star outing and was quite a bit more entertaining than I was expecting it to be.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#1780 » by The_Brecht » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:00 pm

Soooo, we're probably getting:

AJ vs Baron
Shane vs KO
Jinder vs Nakamura
USO's vs Gable & Benjamin
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.