WWE SmackDown Discussion I

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Re: WWE SmackDown Discussion I 

Post#1961 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:22 am

The_Brecht wrote:What's happening with the Zigler thing? I just don't get the narrative anymore.
It's like every story is completely irrelevant, because of the main story between Shane and Owens/Zayn.

Also, riott squad is done now? Way to build them up as a destructive force.

It seems likely to me the motive behind Absolution and Riott Squad was the Royal Rumble. It gives them more bodies to put in it and having multiple alliances in the match changes the storytelling in it. I don't see another explanation for why they had the identical storyline on both shows and called up so many girls that weren't ready instead of keeping it to one faction with Paige, Ruby and someone else. Even Ruby probably had unfinished business in NXT and they could have brought out her heel character there

I just hate the psychology of the Absolution and Riott Squad storylines so far. Even if casual fans aren't consciously thinking "Why are hot blonde girls in Mandy or Morgan hanging out with Paige and Ruby", subconsciously it makes an impact. It's not as believable as if Paige, Ruby and Logan all of whom are outcast characters, showed up and started beating people up. It seems like Paige and Ruby would be friends so why not use that to your advantage? Instead of the Riott Squad being the Smackdown faction, why not call up the Iconic Duo and put them with them with Carmella which would be another trio that makes sense character wise, and they can be "Fabulously Iconic" or something. This is the kind of crap they pull in the divas division but not the men's. In the men's they care enough about the psychology that Daniel Bryan has sympathy for Owens and Zayn and Shane can't totally shake his corporate and best for business roots. In the diva's division Paige being an anti-diva isn't really a character for her anymore, nor is her hypocrisy siding with Mandy played up like Drew Gulak supporting Tony Neese's showing off. It's just ignored.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#1962 » by improper » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:36 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:...why not call up the Iconic Duo and put them with them with Carmella which would be another trio that makes sense character wise, and they can be "Fabulously Iconic" or something.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1963 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:47 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
The_Brecht wrote:What's happening with the Zigler thing? I just don't get the narrative anymore.
It's like every story is completely irrelevant, because of the main story between Shane and Owens/Zayn.

Also, riott squad is done now? Way to build them up as a destructive force.

It seems likely to me the motive behind Absolution and Riott Squad was the Royal Rumble. It gives them more bodies to put in it and having multiple alliances in the match changes the storytelling in it. I don't see another explanation for why they had the identical storyline on both shows and called up so many girls that weren't ready instead of keeping it to one faction with Paige, Ruby and someone else. Even Ruby probably had unfinished business in NXT and they could have brought out her heel character there

I just hate the psychology of the Absolution and Riott Squad storylines so far. Even if casual fans aren't consciously thinking "Why are hot blonde girls in Mandy or Morgan hanging out with Paige and Ruby", subconsciously it makes an impact. It's not as believable as if Paige, Ruby and Logan all of whom are outcast characters, showed up and started beating people up. It seems like Paige and Ruby would be friends so why not use that to your advantage? Instead of the Riott Squad being the Smackdown faction, why not call up the Iconic Duo and put them with them with Carmella which would be another trio that makes sense character wise, and they can be "Fabulously Iconic" or something. This is the kind of crap they pull in the divas division but not the men's. In the men's they care enough about the psychology that Daniel Bryan has sympathy for Owens and Zayn and Shane can't totally shake his corporate and best for business roots. In the diva's division Paige being an anti-diva isn't really a character for her anymore, nor is her hypocrisy siding with Mandy played up like Drew Gulak supporting Tony Neese's showing off. It's just ignored.

The problem with the Riott Squad is that... they suck. Ruby Riott is a good (not great) solid pro wrestler, but the other 2 she's saddled with appear to be complete novices - one who's there because she's pretty and the other because she's... kinda tough looking? Meh. At least with Absolution, they have 2 top quality performers in Paige and Deville, and Mandy Rose has had plenty of tv exposure - being the top prospect from Tough Enough. Last night, they had Riott beat up both Naomi and Charlotte Flair - each with one kick... She's 5'4 and 120 lbs. She has a good little kick move, but it's just not believable she knocks out 2 stars each with 1 kick. I get the feeling they went with that because her 2 sidekicks aren't capable of doing anything.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#1964 » by improper » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:51 pm

Ruzious wrote:The problem with the Riott Squad is that... they suck. Ruby Riott is a good (not great) solid pro wrestler, but the other 2 she's saddled with appear to be complete novices - one who's there because she's pretty and the other because she's... kinda tough looking? Meh. At least with Absolution, they have 2 top quality performers in Paige and Deville, and Mandy Rose has had plenty of tv exposure - being the top prospect from Tough Enough. Last night, they had Riott beat up both Naomi and Charlotte Flair - each with one kick... She's 5'4 and 120 lbs. She has a good little kick move, but it's just not believable she knocks out 2 stars each with 1 kick. I get the feeling they went with that because her 2 sidekicks aren't capable of doing anything.

Sarah Logan is a veteran who spent five years wrestling on the indies as Crazy Mary Dobson. She is far from a complete novice. In fact, she's probably as good as or better than Paige and Ruby if they'd give her a chance. I feel bad for her, though. She was robbed of a chance to really show what she could do in NXT, and the main roster women's divisions are a sinkhole where no one ever gets to stand out.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1965 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:25 pm

Pardons - I saw she is 24 years old and started out in NXT in 2016 and hadn't won any matches there - after being one of the Rosebuds and a makeup artist for Miz, so I assumed she was a novice. I should have said she's a complete no-name to the average fan.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
skbucks1985
RealGM
And1: 1,899

Post#1966 » by skbucks1985 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:22 pm

I was familiar with Logan, but I hadn't seen much of her work and I've been pretty unimpressed with her. This group is transparently a vehicle for Riott. The group is literally named after her. I didn't think she had this type of ceiling, but I've been pretty impressed with her. She's a good talker and I feel like she might be even better than we've seen because her talking has been fairly limited. She's solid, if unspectacular, in the ring. Although in fairness, we haven't really seen her in NXT or even on the main roster have a featured singles match. And she's got such a unique look that is really unlike anything they've really ever had from a female and I mean that as a compliment. I certainly think they should've put the Iconic Duo with her, but those two have such good chemistry that it may have overshadowed Ruby.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#1967 » by The_Brecht » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:56 am

Smackdown > Raw and it's not even close at the moment.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
bestnamezRtaken
Senior
And1: 349

Post#1968 » by bestnamezRtaken » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:57 pm

DeVille a top quality performer? lol ok
Kobe Bryant was asked who he feels is the toughest opponent to guard in the NBA. Instead of picking OKC's Kevin Durant, Bryant went with Portland’s Brandon Roy.

"Roy 365 days, seven days a week. Roy has no weaknesses in his game."
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1969 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 2, 2018 4:54 pm

bestnamezRtaken wrote:DeVille a top quality performer? lol ok

As far as in-ring performer, there's no question she is, imo. If you're looking for a diva, then probably not. NXT pushed her hard - in spite of her lack of pro rasslin experience, they had her beat Riot in a no holds barred match - earning a championship match against Ember Moon.
bestnamezRtaken
Senior

Post#1970 » by bestnamezRtaken » Tue Jan 2, 2018 9:04 pm

She's far from a top quality talent right now. Very raw in the ring, on the mic. I don't buy into her gimmick of an "MMA fighter", she seems stiff...not ready for the main roster at all. You can push crap all you want and can it quality, but that doesn't change the fact that she's not ready at all. She's needs much more time in NXT to develop.

Plus, I think she's gonna get lost in the mix when they bring in the MMA Four Horsewomen to go against the WWE Four Horsewomen. DeVille's gimmick doesn't work for her at all.

Just my opinion.
Kobe Bryant was asked who he feels is the toughest opponent to guard in the NBA. Instead of picking OKC's Kevin Durant, Bryant went with Portland’s Brandon Roy.

Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,540

Post#1971 » by Butch718 » Wed Jan 3, 2018 12:48 am

Rusev is so awesome. I know it's highly unlikely, but I hope he gets a run with the title AS a face. He has a lot of charisma and personality with this gimmick. That segment with New Day, where he throws the pancakes on the floor was hilarious.
bestnamezRtaken
Senior

Post#1972 » by bestnamezRtaken » Wed Jan 3, 2018 3:43 pm

Yeah, Rusev is pretty freaking money right now. Hopefully WWE realizes this, and sees what an amazing reaction he gets from the crowd, people are eating Rusev Day up. He definitely needs to be thrust into the WWE Title picture. Please, for the love of God, do this.

Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,249

Post#1973 » by Shaazzam » Wed Jan 3, 2018 3:52 pm

Butch718 wrote:Rusev is so awesome. I know it's highly unlikely, but I hope he gets a run with the title AS a face. He has a lot of charisma and personality with this gimmick. That segment with New Day, where he throws the pancakes on the floor was hilarious.

lol, was it as good as when he threw the fish?
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,540

Post#1974 » by Butch718 » Wed Jan 3, 2018 4:42 pm

Better. Rusev was like "I BOOTY ON YOUR PANCAKES!!!"

Big E's reaction was priceless.

"YOU DUN FLAPPED THE WRONG JACK SUCKAAAAA!!!!"

You could tell Rusev was trying hard not to break character. Sh*t was hilarious. They need to push this guy to the moon.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#1975 » by improper » Wed Jan 3, 2018 4:52 pm

bestnamezRtaken wrote:Hopefully WWE realizes this...

Spoiler: They won't.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1976 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 3, 2018 6:24 pm

bestnamezRtaken wrote:She's far from a top quality talent right now. Very raw in the ring, on the mic. I don't buy into her gimmick of an "MMA fighter", she seems stiff...not ready for the main roster at all. You can push crap all you want and can it quality, but that doesn't change the fact that she's not ready at all. She's needs much more time in NXT to develop.

Plus, I think she's gonna get lost in the mix when they bring in the MMA Four Horsewomen to go against the WWE Four Horsewomen. DeVille's gimmick doesn't work for her at all.

Just my opinion.

We can agree to disagree but... I don't see how you don't buy into her MMA fighter gimmick. She's clearly skilled and athletic with a strong athletic build - and she appears to have the attitude for it - it's pretty much impossible not to see the talent, imo. If she's not a top quality in-ring talent right now, I think it's obvious that she's on her way. I have no idea about her mike skills - I'm just talking about in-ring. My 3 cents.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#1977 » by loserX » Thu Jan 4, 2018 5:36 pm

improper wrote:
bestnamezRtaken wrote:Hopefully WWE realizes this...

Spoiler: They won't.

It feels like WWE is learning exactly the wrong lesson; they did it with Bray and now they're doing it with Rusev. They think"wow, these guys are gold every time they're on screen...we don't have to do anything with them, just let them talk!"

So then of course the characters go nowhere and the WWE ends up squandering its best resources while they try to make us care about Mojo Rawley.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#1978 » by WRau1 » Sun Jan 7, 2018 11:53 am

I really hope the WWE isn't stupid enough to think turning DB is going to lesser his value. At this point, even with the most casual of viewers, there isn't anything the WWE could do to get the audience to boo him.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#1979 » by improper » Sun Jan 7, 2018 4:56 pm

WRau1 wrote:I really hope the WWE isn't stupid enough to think turning DB is going to lesser his value.

Generally speaking, I think any question that begins with "WWE can't be stupid enough to" ends with them absolutely being stupid enough to.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,945

Post#1980 » by iMoreland » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:58 am

I got tickets to next weeks SmackDown and I couldn't be less excited about going lol. This will be my first WWE event since Survivor Series 2009 when I was 13.

SmackDown has been pure crap since Survivor Series. All I'm hoping for is that AJ has a match so I can say I've seen him wrestle live. Seeing Nakamura and/or Roode's entrance would be cool too.

It's the night after Raw 25 so maybe something cool will happen I hope.

Return to Pro Wrestling