WWE Great Balls of Fire (July 9th, 2017)

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,550

Re: WWE Great Balls of Fire (July 9th, 2017) 

Post#41 » by Dominator83 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:11 am

Polk377 wrote:
iMoreland wrote:
studcrackers wrote:Double turn?

0% chance

That is exactly what this looks like. Braun now looks like the sympathetic character while Roman looks like a sore loser who went too far. That look in the mirror before crashing the ambulance was signaling Roman going to the dark side.

Which is funny because Brawns attack on Reigns a couple months back on RAW was probably more vicious
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#42 » by studcrackers » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:12 am

Well I was sports entertained
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,550

Post#43 » by Dominator83 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:13 am

Spens1 wrote:cancel that. 6 minutes, is that it? granted Lesnar legit looked on the back foot but 6 bloody minutes. Also what kind of finish was that, 1 f5, is that it (i takes like a million to defeat Roman).

Anyway this PPV had some bright spots but the IC title match onwards was rubbish with maybe the exception of the main event (finish aside, it was good for what it was) and half of roman vs strowman.

Unfortunately that's the most were getting out of a Brock Lesnar match. The Ambrose/Miz was the expected piss break match. That Slater match was just to kill time for the ambulance crew. The rest of the card was good. The tag match was fantastic
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#44 » by Spens1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:17 am

Dominater wrote:
Spens1 wrote:cancel that. 6 minutes, is that it? granted Lesnar legit looked on the back foot but 6 bloody minutes. Also what kind of finish was that, 1 f5, is that it (i takes like a million to defeat Roman).

Anyway this PPV had some bright spots but the IC title match onwards was rubbish with maybe the exception of the main event (finish aside, it was good for what it was) and half of roman vs strowman.

Unfortunately that's the most were getting out of a Brock Lesnar match. The Ambrose/Miz was the expected piss break match. That Slater match was just to kill time for the ambulance crew. The rest of the card was good. The tag match was fantastic

oh yeah before the IC match it was solid (also if the IC title is being treated as a piss break, booking has simply failed, that should be the #2 feud, #3 at worst). Wasn't a huge fan of the womans match either in all honesty.

I agree that the tag match was fantastic, MOTN easily.

I mean if 6 minutes is the most we're getting out of brock then it may not be worth it to be honest. This should have been the match to go at least 10-15 because Joe may be the biggest threat he's faced since Roman really.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#45 » by studcrackers » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:19 am

Finish aside I loved the women's match
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,738

Post#46 » by DanoMac » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:21 am

Roman's finally a heel
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#47 » by WRau1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:22 am

These Lesnar matches have been terrible, absolutely terrible since he faced Ambrose. They need to take the tittle off of him.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,134

Post#48 » by heatwillbeback » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:31 am

WRau1 wrote:These Lesnar matches have been terrible, absolutely terrible since he faced Ambrose. They need to take the tittle off of him.

He used to be able to mix good wrestling with the UFC style.

Lately it's been all just the explosive UFC stuff. Not much else.

The only wrestling thing he does is the suplex.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#49 » by Spens1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:40 am

heatwillbeback wrote:
WRau1 wrote:These Lesnar matches have been terrible, absolutely terrible since he faced Ambrose. They need to take the tittle off of him.

He used to be able to mix good wrestling with the UFC style.

Lately it's been all just the explosive UFC stuff. Not much else.

The only wrestling thing he does is the suplex.

which is stupid because he is a good wrestler. He should at least bring in some of his amateur wrestling stuff and pull of some moves from back in the day (lets face it, 04 Lesnar > current Lesnar).
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#50 » by improper » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:46 am

DanoMac wrote:Roman's finally a heel

I'll believe it when it actually happens. More than likely, he'll keep doing heel things while both the face and heel announcers verbally fellate him like he's god's gift to wrestling.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#51 » by iMoreland » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:46 am

Do you guys think Brock practices turning his head purple before matches/segments with Joe, cause damn.

I'd love to see a Fatal 4 Way at SummerSlam between Brock (c), Braun, Joe, Roman. All of them look like monsters right now and none of them deserve to be left out.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by improper » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:45 am

Thoughts on the show while watching it in real time:

1. Cruiserweight match was a lot of fun. Shame it was on the pre-show.

2. What is Bray Wyatt the god of? Eating pinfalls? Losing feuds? Awful WWE Title runs?

3. This did feel like the best Wyatt match in years, though, although that's damning with faint praise because he's been awful for ages now. Maybe Rollins is just finally getting back into form. Not too long ago he was considered by many, myself included, to be one of the five best wrestlers in the company. Prior to tonight I'm not sure he'd even have made my top fifteen. He looked really good tonight though. Just a shame this feud has been pointless.

4. Maybe don't schedule your matches so you have two end in a row with the heel cheating to win?

5. If WWE isn't going to pony up for the rights to Broken Matt, can they at least just call them the Hardys? Dudes are like forty now, and Hardy Boyz just sounds kind of sad.

6. Kind of curious where Enzo goes from here, because they pretty much just made him out to be a big joke. Dude should really just be a manager. They should have him latch on to Big Show and manage Show for one last run before he retires. Much as we like to criticize Show these days, I think the dude deserves one last good run in the company. We saw during his Strowman matches that he's still capable of putting on a quality match with the right opponent.

7. Cass' music feels like they just randomly picked a rejected NXT theme.

8. Miz's entourage should be called the C-Listers. You can have that one for free, WWE.

9. Cesaro and Sheamus are so much better as a tag team than I ever expected. Heel Cesaro is a lot of fun. Strangely, their team-up is probably the best long-term story in WWE right now.

10. Loved the beginning to the tag match. Nice to see an iron man match where someone goes up quick. It adds drama to the match.

11. I'm getting shades of the Revival from Cesaro and Sheamus. Just some fantastic heel tag work.

12. That top rope Twist of Fate looked nasty for Sheamus. He legit looked out of it after. Wouldn't be surprised if he misses some time with a concussion.

13. The last ten minutes of that tag match were fantastic. Just a great sprint. Best non-NXT WWE tag match in ages. Turns out the secret was to let them have time and make them feel important (shocking, right?). It's just sad it took the Hardys returning for that to happen.

14. Watching this Cena/Rusev promo, it feels like no one told Rusev that Smackdown already had two heels doing an evil foreigner gimmick. This feud just feels embarrassing. It's just an insult to our intelligence.

15. Still hard for me to care about the women's division the way the WWE has booked it, but at least this match-up seems semi-fresh.

16. Alexa Bliss matches wreak havoc on my Amazon Echo.

17. That apron bump Sasha took was goddamn brutal.

18. I'm starting to get back behind the idea of Sasha being the best female wrestler on the main roster (Becky could be as well, but she hasn't really gotten to do anything in ages so it's hard to say). All of Charlotte's best main roster matches were with Sasha. All of Bayley's best matches have been with Sasha. This was easily Alexa Bliss' best main roster match. Charlotte and Bayley stuff was disappointing. Bayley and Bliss was disappointing. Charlotte really hasn't had a marquee match since fighting Sasha. Etc. I'm noticing a trend here.

19. I'm fine with heels cheating or bending the rules to win, but it loses some luster when it's literally every match.

20. Ending aside, I think that was the best women's main roster match since Charlotte and Sasha were feuding.

21. Judging by the crowd reaction to his music, I'm not the only one who has soured on Dean Ambrose.

22. Ambrose seems to waffle between hilariously over-selling his injuries and forgetting he's hurt.

23. This PPV pretty much exemplifies one of the main problems I have with WWE booking these days...heels just aren't allowed to win clean. They have to cheat to win literally every match, because god forbid the WWE's faces should ever look weak. Unfortunately, it has the side effect of making all these heels look so weak. They can't win on their own. Even Neville, who should be destroying fools, now has to constantly cheat to win. I'm fine with it happening from time to time, and I'm fine with a heel like Miz doing it who is playing a character who has to cheat to win because he's not good enough on his own. The problem is that you can't have every damn heel playing that character, and that's pretty much where we're at. Heels need to win clean sometimes.

24. I'd love to know where Braun got the ambulance he returned in. Like, did he just steal it from a local hospital? Or did he show up in his regular car and then just pose dramatically in the ambulance that was standing by at the arena? I need to know these things.

25. I find it pretty incredible how WWE has taken one of the best monster heels they've had in years and turned him into the biggest babyface on the Raw roster entirely by accident and their own ineptitude. Really impressive, honestly.

26. Roman really gets like Triple H caliber heat these days. If they actually turn him, he could be huge for them. People will pay to watch him lose. He is literally the worse face ever, though. It's laughable we're on year three of this crap.

27. Also, it's been said before by other people, but Roman Reigns is Poochie. The comparison is just so perfect.

28. Strowman beating the hell out of Reigns is so fun.

29. I love how shocked the announcers act every time someone clears off their table to put someone through it. It's like, this literally happens damn near every week, guys. I'm more shocked when someone doesn't use the table.

30. Always fun when the face literally murders the heel in cold blood.

31. Kurt Angle's reaction to the ambulance crash was freaking hilarious.

32. "Quick, someone send out a couple of guys no one gives a crap about to have a meaningless match so the crowd can't watch what they really want to see!"

33. I love how WWE just cut away from the actual match happening in the arena to show the stuff in the back. Just blatantly disrespectful to the guys wrestling. Why even send them out there?

34. This is the most energetic I've seen Joe since joining WWE. I loved him just destroying Lesnar to start the match. Perfect fit for his character.

35. Solid main event.

---

Overall, this was definitely one of the better WWE PPVs of the year. No bad matches (I mean, Enzo Vs. Cass wasn't good or anything but it did what it needed to do and didn't waste our time), a bunch of good matches. Nothing really great, but the tag match came close. Still doesn't hold a candle to the average NXT show, but it was nice to have a PPV where the worst match (not including Enzo/Cass or the Slater match) was at least two stars.
Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

Post#53 » by Mich3006 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:05 am

studcrackers wrote:Also, You have all the heels winning in your prediction

100% rate :wink:
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#54 » by iMoreland » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:04 am

Looks like it isn't over

Read on Twitter
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,756

Post#55 » by spykelee » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:57 am

Agreed on the heels always cheating to win Improper. I think WWE needs to add some legitimacy to their product from time to time... Like Miz get's 2 other rostered talents and Maryse at ringside? Alexa just blatantly get's counted out and retains... This stuff is a stupud joke and really degrades the product IMO. Heel's can win clean once in awhile and we don't need like 60% of title matches to end in DQ's. The rule is **** (Please Use More Appropriate Word) to begin with, so change it. Make the product at least a bit more legitimate, please. James Ellsworth in MITB, Jinder (your WHC) beating Randy with one move after he beats on the singh brothers for 10 minutes outside the ring while Jinder recovers... There's countless more examples like this. Guys and girls would be that much more over if they had more legitmiate matches and legitimate finishes.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#56 » by tugs » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:37 pm

Surprised with Cass' pecs. Thought he got lazy and juiced without working out. There was a time it looked like man boobs.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#57 » by WRau1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:49 pm

Pretty good review of the PPV by FunnyorDie.com, I didn't even know that they did these.

http://www.funnyordie.com/articles/fd2632e69d/the-16-test-results-from-examining-wwe-s-great-balls-of-fire-2017
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by improper » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:30 pm

spykelee wrote:Agreed on the heels always cheating to win Improper. I think WWE needs to add some legitimacy to their product from time to time... Like Miz get's 2 other rostered talents and Maryse at ringside? Alexa just blatantly get's counted out and retains... This stuff is a stupud joke and really degrades the product IMO. Heel's can win clean once in awhile and we don't need like 60% of title matches to end in DQ's. The rule is **** (Please Use More Appropriate Word) to begin with, so change it. Make the product at least a bit more legitimate, please. James Ellsworth in MITB, Jinder (your WHC) beating Randy with one move after he beats on the singh brothers for 10 minutes outside the ring while Jinder recovers... There's countless more examples like this. Guys and girls would be that much more over if they had more legitmiate matches and legitimate finishes.

For the record, I am perfectly fine with Miz cheating to win. I think it fits his character perfectly. Miz's character is a guy who isn't good enough to win on his own, so he has to cheat. That's fine. That makes sense. It even fits the long-time IWC view of Miz as a bad worker, although I think the majority of the IWC has come around to Miz as a worker over the past year or so, as he's continued to put on great matches with a wide variety of guys (aside from Ambrose, but every Ambrose match is mediocre to bad these days). You just don't do that if you're a garbage worker.

But, again, it fits his character like a glove, so I am okay with it.

The problem is that this extends to every heel on the roster. We didn't see a single heel win without shenanigans last night aside from Cass, and everyone knew Enzo wasn't winning that one. Neville had to resort to the low blow. Wyatt needed the eye poke. Cesaro and Sheamus used a variety of dirty tactics to win their match. Bliss got herself counted out to retain the title. The Miz cheated basically the entire match. And while Joe didn't win, he attacked Brock before the bell and gave him a low blow during the match.

And look, I'm fine with all of these in a vacuum. Heels are bad guys. It's okay if they occasionally cheat to win. That's what bad guys do. They cut corners. But the problem, as always, is when it happens every match. When you literally cannot win without cheating, it's a massive problem because it devalues you as a wrestler. It makes you look weak and unimportant. This works for Miz, because we're not supposed to value him as a wrestler. His whole gimmick is that of a guy who isn't a great wrestler (although he really is very good these days), but who pretends to be and constantly cheats to win to validate himself. But that's not Joe's character. That's not Bliss' character. That's not Cesaro and Sheamus. That's not Wyatt. All of these characters are vastly different from what Miz is doing, but yet they all get booked exactly the same.

It's also a problem when a single show overuses finishes like that. It's fine if one or two PPV matches end like that, but when they basically all do, it doesn't work.

It's also no mystery why the two heels (although Braun isn't really a heel in his feud, but still) who came out of this looking the best were Cass and Strowman. Cass just demolished Enzo and proved that Enzo was holding him back. Braun came out of the PPV looking like a beast. He beat Reigns, and then walked away from a vicious car crash. Neither guy needed to cheat or cut corners to win, and thus they both came out of the event looking great. Meanwhile, every other heel came out of it looking like crap.

Return to Pro Wrestling