WWE Royal Rumble (January 28th, 2018)

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,085
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: WWE Royal Rumble (January 28th, 2018) 

Post#241 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:38 am

I was interested in seeing Ronda, and I don't follow wrestling, but I caught up on her debut, and thought she should have come out to this.

[url][/url]
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,863

Post#242 » by Stanford » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:25 am

NO-KG-AI wrote: I don't follow wrestling

We’re here for moral support if you want to start.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#243 » by Wo1verine » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:02 am

Women's rumble stole the show tbh all those 'legends' brought me back to when wrestling was actually pretty decent.

Lita looks like she could still preform at age 42!

Also good to see Rousey ( even though i prefer her fighting in UFC) hopefully she will inject some much need life into an otherwise atrocious women's division.
BrunoSkull
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#244 » by Wo1verine » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:09 am

Butch718 wrote:Corey Graves was great last night.

I loved how he kept **** on Sasha. Is there a particular reason why he kept singling her out?

“If you have a back, Sasha has a knife.”

“She’s not a part of any factions because no one likes her.”

Lol at him criticizing her every time she stopped someone from getting eliminated. “She just wants more camera time.”

He also had a couple of gems in the triple threat match...

“That’s like being drop kicked by a t-rex.”

“He’s dead.” :lol:

I also loved how he was telling everyone how much he loved Mandy Rose looks before Stephanie got pissed and told him to shut it! :lol:
BrunoSkull
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#245 » by tugs » Thu Feb 1, 2018 2:08 pm

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#246 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 1, 2018 4:03 pm

Wo1verine wrote:Women's rumble stole the show tbh all those 'legends' brought me back to when wrestling was actually pretty decent.

Lita looks like she could still preform at age 42!

Also good to see Rousey ( even though i prefer her fighting in UFC) hopefully she will inject some much need life into an otherwise atrocious women's division.

The women's divisions should be better than they are - they certainly have improved the talent base. But the cookie-cutter factions they added from NXT were bad ideas. Rousey certainly adds some excitement and the potential to add to the fan base.

And she's good at pointing to Wrestlemania signs.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#247 » by LLJ » Thu Feb 1, 2018 6:45 pm

People thinking Rousey will be ready soon are underestimating how long it takes to be a good pro wrestler, even with an athletic background. Look at Baszler. She's been wrestling for a little over 2 years and she still shows a lot of greenness. Her match with Ember at Takeover was specifically designed to cover for her deficiencies as a wrestler. Baszler's one great match in her pro wrestling career was against Io Shirai. But Io Shirai is the best female wrestler in the world, so of course she could carry a wet sock to a good match.

Honestly, they should have kept the Rousey signing hush hush and trained her even more. She's been apparently at the Performance Centre the last few months but it will take a lot longer than that to get good. Unless she is going to do 5 minute squashes for her entire tenure, she is going to need time if you want her to work 15-20 minute matches with the likes of a Sasha, Charlotte or Asuka.
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,574

Post#248 » by Butch718 » Thu Feb 1, 2018 8:50 pm

They should book her in squash matches, like they did with Stroman. Gradually build her up and then have her against Asuka at next year's Wrestlemania.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#249 » by improper » Thu Feb 1, 2018 9:13 pm

LLJ wrote:People thinking Rousey will be ready soon are underestimating how long it takes to be a good pro wrestler, even with an athletic background. Look at Baszler. She's been wrestling for a little over 2 years and she still shows a lot of greenness. Her match with Ember at Takeover was specifically designed to cover for her deficiencies as a wrestler. Baszler's one great match in her pro wrestling career was against Io Shirai. But Io Shirai is the best female wrestler in the world, so of course she could carry a wet sock to a good match.

Honestly, they should have kept the Rousey signing hush hush and trained her even more. She's been apparently at the Performance Centre the last few months but it will take a lot longer than that to get good. Unless she is going to do 5 minute squashes for her entire tenure, she is going to need time if you want her to work 15-20 minute matches with the likes of a Sasha, Charlotte or Asuka.

Yeah, you really need to consider the fact that most of the best female wrestlers in the WWE have been working for years to get as good as they are.

Ember - 11 years experience
Asuka - 14 years
Sasha - 8 years
Bayley - 10 years
Becky - 16 years

Hell, even Charlotte has been working for almost six years now, and she's probably the least experienced good worker in the company. Charlotte also came from a wrestling family, is a fantastic athlete, and is the daughter of one of the best wrestlers of all time, so I think it's safe to say she had a bit of an advantage over most other women starting out.

Point being, anyone expecting Rousey to be ready any time soon is incredibly naive. It's going to take her years to get to the level of girls like Asuka and Ember, and that's assuming she ever gets there at all, which is no guarantee.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#250 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 1, 2018 9:55 pm

improper wrote:
LLJ wrote:People thinking Rousey will be ready soon are underestimating how long it takes to be a good pro wrestler, even with an athletic background. Look at Baszler. She's been wrestling for a little over 2 years and she still shows a lot of greenness. Her match with Ember at Takeover was specifically designed to cover for her deficiencies as a wrestler. Baszler's one great match in her pro wrestling career was against Io Shirai. But Io Shirai is the best female wrestler in the world, so of course she could carry a wet sock to a good match.

Yeah, you really need to consider the fact that most of the best female wrestlers in the WWE have been working for years to get as good as they are.

Ember - 11 years experience
Asuka - 14 years
Sasha - 8 years
Bayley - 10 years
Becky - 16 years

Hell, even Charlotte has been working for almost six years now, and she's probably the least experienced good worker in the company. Charlotte also came from a wrestling family, is a fantastic athlete, and is the daughter of one of the best wrestlers of all time, so I think it's safe to say she had a bit of an advantage over most other women starting out.

Point being, anyone expecting Rousey to be ready any time soon is incredibly naive. It's going to take her years to get to the level of girls like Asuka and Ember, and that's assuming she ever gets there at all, which is no guarantee.

But but but but but... she's already mastered pointing at Wrestlemania signs. That's half the battle.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#251 » by LLJ » Thu Feb 1, 2018 9:56 pm

I do get why they revealed Rousey early though. I think they have some new TV deal negotiations coming up and saying that you have Rousey moving forward is a great sell (presumably). But you also don't want to put Rousey in a position to fail (with fans, I mean), and now people are expecting a lot out of her. If she looks awkward or frequently gets lost in sequences you can be sure the fans will be letting her hear it.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#252 » by improper » Thu Feb 1, 2018 10:01 pm

Ruzious wrote:But but but but but... she's already mastered pointing at Wrestlemania signs. That's half the battle.

I guess she could just learn a spear and a superman punch and call it a day. Seems to be enough for Vince. :lol:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#253 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 1, 2018 10:06 pm

improper wrote:
Ruzious wrote:But but but but but... she's already mastered pointing at Wrestlemania signs. That's half the battle.

I guess she could just learn a spear and a superman punch and call it a day. Seems to be enough for Vince. :lol:

Now now, a spear done wrong actually can be disasterous.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#254 » by tugs » Thu Feb 1, 2018 11:25 pm

About Rousey. Hey, we endured years of Nikki Bella. Look how that turned out.

Although problem with Ronda, we already expect her to deliver.

Anyone else bugged with her Rowdy name? And attire?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#255 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 2, 2018 2:32 pm

tugs wrote:About Rousey. Hey, we endured years of Nikki Bella. Look how that turned out.

Although problem with Ronda, we already expect her to deliver.

Anyone else bugged with her Rowdy name? And attire?

Not at all bugged about that. She was good friends with Roddy, and I understand it was his son (who's been trained in MMA) that gave her the t-shirt. I think it's her paying heart-felt tribute to Roddy.

Edit - my mistake - it was apparently the jacket that Roddy's son gave her. And Roddy had given her permission to use Rowdy when she was an MMA fighter.

Return to Pro Wrestling