Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,210

Re: WWE SmackDown Discussion II 

Post#1341 » by LLJ » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:37 pm

improper wrote:
LLJ wrote:
tugs wrote:You can tell they only want to focus on maybe 6 people in the company at a time.

And five of them are Roman Reigns. :lol:

Rollins, Reigns, AJ, Charlotte, Becky, Alexa. For the most part those core 6 people are the ones who always get consistent TV time over a lengthy period and whose title reigns are given attention regardless of how hot or popular they are at any given time or what belt they hold. And if they aren't hot, they do something to artificially heat them up.

Everyone else in the company can eat a dick to them, or pick up the scraps when available.

And while I like or respect a few of them, the truth is none of them are strong enough draws or personalities to carry such a heavy spotlight load. There are no Austins, Hogans or Rocks here. Not even any Cenas who, as overpushed as he was, was a more well rounded performer than most of these people at least. There's no evidence any of these 6 move the needle significantly more than the 10th or 12th most important performer on the roster either so there's no excuse why they can't apply a broader or more cyclical rotation of stars.

And when I mean significant, I mean like Austin/Rock v Benoit. Austin/Rock simply warranted the time they were given because they drew significantly more than even the 4th or 5th best guy in the company (let alone Benoit who was more like 10th to 12th). Today, the difference in popularity between a Rollins/Reigns/AJ and a Finn or Nakamura isn't significant enough to warrant the vastly different treatment they get. While they are more popular than a Finn or Nakamura right now, it's not to the point that they can afford pissing off Finn Balor or Nakamura fans and not taking a hit in several consumer engagement metrics. You can lose a bunch of Jericho or Benoit fans while Rock and Austin were on top because their top guys' popularity offset the hit. Not so in today's WWE pyramid scheme.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#1342 » by tugs » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:57 am

Man, I'm all for a lengthy midcard run for EC3 just about now.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#1343 » by improper » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:48 am

I just wanna say...there's like a 100% chance WWE is going to screw up the Bray Wyatt reboot, but the Fiend's entrance was incredible.

It's almost like giving wrestlers creative control over their characters is a good idea.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#1344 » by Spens1 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:47 am

improper wrote:I just wanna say...there's like a 100% chance WWE is going to screw up the Bray Wyatt reboot, but the Fiend's entrance was incredible.

It's almost like giving wrestlers creative control over their characters is a good idea.

Wyatts always been incredible with his character work and the only reason he failed is Vince (and maybe the fact that he didn't adapt his gimmick a bit to deal with the constant losses, maybe he should have lost his mind even more after every loss).
tugs
RealGM

Post#1345 » by tugs » Wed Sep 4, 2019 3:04 am

Not sure what the plan is with Bryan and Rowan but I'm intrigued.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,030

Post#1346 » by daoneandonly » Wed Sep 4, 2019 11:26 am

Would be kind of cool if they put the Viking Raiders and Sarah Logan with Rowan as a faction, at least then the latter 3 would have some purpose. But they'd also need a higher power like mouth piece pulling the strings, might be the best way for a main roster Ciampa debut. Ciampa behind the Reigns attack would be pretty interesting.
tugs
RealGM

Post#1347 » by tugs » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:10 pm

But Rowan said no one tells him what to do?

Curious how Bryan's character will now progress.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,030

Post#1348 » by daoneandonly » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:29 pm

tugs wrote:But Rowan said no one tells him what to do?

Yea but I can't imagine the payoff to such a big angle is just Erick Rowan
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1349 » by Ruzious » Wed Sep 4, 2019 3:44 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
tugs wrote:But Rowan said no one tells him what to do?

Yea but I can't imagine the payoff to such a big angle is just Erick Rowan

I hope it's not a reuniting of Rowan with Bray Wyatt (as the man who's been telling Rowan what to do), but at some point, the Fiend is going to need some followers.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#1350 » by Flames24Rulz » Wed Sep 4, 2019 9:04 pm

So what exactly was the point of Rowan's twin then? Are they just going to pretend that never existed?
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,536

Post#1351 » by Dominator83 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 9:33 pm

What a lame KOTR SD side final. Instead of a must see match like Owens vs Andrade, we get a piss break match in Gable vs Elias, which nobody cares to see. Who's writing this crap?
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1352 » by Ruzious » Wed Sep 4, 2019 9:44 pm

Dominater wrote:What a lame KOTR SD side final. Instead of a must see match like Owens vs Andrade, we get a piss break match in Gable vs Elias, which nobody cares to see. Who's writing this crap?

Definitely didn't see that SD final coming. Gotta think they'll go with Elias, because he'd have a chance to win the tournament. No way Vince would let Gable win the whole thing - even though I think he'd be a better choice than Elias.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#1353 » by Dominator83 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 9:56 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Dominater wrote:What a lame KOTR SD side final. Instead of a must see match like Owens vs Andrade, we get a piss break match in Gable vs Elias, which nobody cares to see. Who's writing this crap?

Definitely didn't see that SD final coming. Gotta think they'll go with Elias, because he'd have a chance to win the tournament. No way Vince would let Gable win the whole thing - even though I think he'd be a better choice than Elias.

I'd prefer Joe to win it all at this point

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1354 » by Ruzious » Wed Sep 4, 2019 10:09 pm

Dominater wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

I'd prefer Joe to win it all at this point

Me too. It would be a way to honor an older wrestler most likely near the end of his quality years who never quite reached the pinnacle and has truly earned it while still able to put on occasional outstanding matches. I imagine the locker room would be pleased with that choice.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#1355 » by loserX » Wed Sep 4, 2019 10:21 pm

Prediction:

Gable will beat Elias, possibly when Owens interferes. Gable will get the "plucky underdog that no one believed in" rub all the way to the finals, where he will lose to

Baron Corbin.

Joe and Ricochet will beat the tar out of each other in the other semi, Corbin will clean up the mess and get to the final, beating Gable and becoming the cocky/annoying heel that seems to suit the King gimmick best.
tugs
RealGM

Post#1356 » by tugs » Thu Sep 5, 2019 3:06 am

Unless you're King Bookah!!!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1357 » by Ruzious » Thu Sep 5, 2019 9:53 pm

tugs wrote:Man, I'm all for a lengthy midcard run for EC3 just about now.

EC who? Talk about someone getting lost in the talent shuffle - I expected they'd push him up the ranks by now. The few times I've seen him is when he's part of the crowd chasing after the 24/7 title, and he doesn't even get to say anything. Maybe he gets play in the house shows?
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#1358 » by improper » Fri Sep 6, 2019 9:48 pm

Ruzious wrote:EC who? Talk about someone getting lost in the talent shuffle - I expected they'd push him up the ranks by now. The few times I've seen him is when he's part of the crowd chasing after the 24/7 title, and he doesn't even get to say anything. Maybe he gets play in the house shows?

Really makes no sense how EC3 never got pushed. He is a great talker and he he's muscled like a Vince McMahon wet dream. He's not amazing in the ring, but he's adequate, and it's not like in-ring skill matters at all to Vince anyways.

Then again, WWE has ruined about a hundred guys at this point who should have been sure things. It's just what they do.
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#1359 » by Dominator83 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 11:02 pm

improper wrote:
Ruzious wrote:EC who? Talk about someone getting lost in the talent shuffle - I expected they'd push him up the ranks by now. The few times I've seen him is when he's part of the crowd chasing after the 24/7 title, and he doesn't even get to say anything. Maybe he gets play in the house shows?

Really makes no sense how EC3 never got pushed. He is a great talker and he he's muscled like a Vince McMahon wet dream. He's not amazing in the ring, but he's adequate, and it's not like in-ring skill matters at all to Vince anyways.

Then again, WWE has ruined about a hundred guys at this point who should have been sure things. It's just what they do.

If they ever went in the direction of having another corporate/authority champion, He would be THE perfect guy for the job

Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#1360 » by Celtsfan1980 » Sat Sep 7, 2019 8:01 pm

Quality of the show has been up lately. Maybe we should talk about it?

Return to Pro Wrestling