Impact Wrestling Discussion Thread

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,549

Re: 2018 Impact Wrestling thread 

Post#41 » by Dominator83 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:42 pm

improper wrote:Thoughts:

• Opening was pretty much what you'd expect. Fast-paced and fun. A little sloppy, probably due to Petey being tossed in last-minute. Phoenix did Phoenix things, which is always awesome.
  • Really enjoyed Blanchard/Allie. It feels like ages since I've seen a women's match where the women actually wrestled like they hated each other. They were stiffing the hell out of each other and it made for a fun match.
  • The hardcore match was more or less what it needed to be. Probably could have stood to be a bit more violent given that it was the culmination of the feud, but overall it was fine. Liked the Shining Wizard using the chair.
  • Cage/Sydal was really good, unsurprisingly.
  • The second women's match was meh. Worst thing on the card thus far. Not awful or anything, but infinitely skippable.
  • The tag title match was awesome. Just balls to the wall, constant action, great spots. Exactly what you want to see from that stipulation in a tornado tag match.
  • It's insane to me that Pentagon and Phoenix are brothers. Have there ever been two other brothers as ludicrously talented as those two who worked such wildly different gimmicks?
  • I love how Impact actually lets these guys work the crowd. I feel like you never see that in WWE, and only sometimes in NXT. Callihan flipping off the crowd when they were chanting "ONE MORE CHAIR" was great. The crowd gets so much more into shows when the wrestlers occasionally interact with them.
  • LOL when Pentagon missed the nail with the bat and hit Sami in the head. Guess Sami had that coming, though, right?
  • Callihan's kickout of Pentagon's finisher through the four chairs was goddamn epic. The look on his face and whatever the hell was pouring out of his mouth sold it so well.
  • As expected, Pentagon/Callihan was a show-stealer. Just a great, brutal match from start to finish. These two just beat the hell out of each other and it was incredibly fun to watch.
  • Main event was great as well. Still can't believe how badly WWE dropped the ball on Aries. Dude's a star.

Overall, that was a great show. About the best compliment I can give is that it felt like a Takeover special. Basically all of the matches were good to great aside from the women's title one, which was just forgettable. They've clearly embraced the NXT booking system...hire great wrestlers, let them be themselves, book sensibly, and deliver with the matches.

Yea thats the difference between WWE and TNA. TNA always seems to get more out of less, WWE always finds ways to get less out of more. Part of that problem is they just have TOO MUCH talent. Guys get lost in the shuffle and they struggle to keep everybody relevant. Thats where they miss a guy like Russo. Bruce Pritchard said that for all his faults, Russo did have a knack for keeping everybody involved in something credible at all times. Seems like thats missing now
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#42 » by Scott Hall » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:13 am

Just got back from Day 2 of the Impact TV tapings (missed last night) fun time disappointing turn out
almost flea market/bingo hall size. Wasn't crazy about the matches booked tonight there was a massive
heel turn yesterday that played out tonight.

Met a guy who was a fan "plant" that had a planned signed get ripped to get heel heat on the wrestler. Just
like last time met most of the roster after the show coming out and also talked to Don Callis and bounced
some ideas to Ed Norhorlm (the president)

It's crazy how short most of the guys and girls are in real life compared to their listed TV heights. John
Morrison is guy who really stands out as very classy spends so much time talking to the fans and taking
pics and signing autorgraphs for anyone that asked. Matt Sydal/Evan Bourne is also really cool.

Last time they shot a scene after the show between LAX and the OG's for a Street Fight in the parking lot
that was produced by Sonjay Dutt which I got on film. This week they shot something with Scarlett Boudreaux
and Bobo.

Had a bit of a chat with Kiera Hogan she's adorable and shy and so new to the business. Unfortunately no
more TV Tavings in Toronto for the rest of the year but RAW and Smackdown are here in a couple of weeks.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,549

Post#43 » by Dominator83 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:04 am

Scott Hall wrote:Just got back from Day 2 of the Impact TV tapings (missed last night) fun time disappointing turn out
almost flea market/bingo hall size. Wasn't crazy about the matches booked tonight there was a massive

Met a guy who was a fan "plant" that had a planned signed get ripped to get heel heat on the wrestler. Just
like last time met most of the roster after the show coming out and also talked to Don Callis and bounced

It's crazy how short most of the guys and girls are in real life compared to their listed TV heights. John
Morrison is guy who really stands out as very classy spends so much time talking to the fans and taking
pics and signing autorgraphs for anyone that asked. Matt Sydal/Evan Bourne is also really cool.

Last time they shot a scene after the show between LAX and the OG's for a Street Fight in the parking lot
that was produced by Sonjay Dutt which I got on film. This week they shot something with Scarlett Boudreaux
and Bobo.

Had a bit of a chat with Kiera Hogan she's adorable and shy and so new to the business. Unfortunately no
more TV Tavings in Toronto for the rest of the year but RAW and Smackdown are here in a couple of weeks.

Out of curiosity because I don't remember, but TNA/impact is now based in Canada correct? I know they moved out of Florida and can swear their main HQ is now in Canada
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#44 » by Scott Hall » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:01 pm

Dominater wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:Just got back from Day 2 of the Impact TV tapings (missed last night) fun time disappointing turn out

and Bobo.

Out of curiosity because I don't remember, but TNA/impact is now based in Canada correct? I know they moved out of Florida and can swear their main HQ is now in Canada

Yeah they are owned by a Toronto company (that bought it from Dixie) and have Canadian management
in Don Callis aka Cyrus and Scott D'Amore. They had Bound For Glory last year in Ottawa and did some
TV tapings there then went somewhere else (I stopped watching for awhile) then did a bunch of tapings
in Windsor Ontario which is where Scott D'Amore has his wrestling school. Then they had Slammiversary in
Toronto and have shot 2 months worth of TV here the last couple of weeks. I wanted to support the company
if they're gonna be based out of Toronto as I don't live far from where they did the TV tapings.

But after the TV tapings have aired they will be doing Bound For Glory in New York City then shoot some TV
Tapings there then they're going to Las Vegas so it looks like they will still be travelling around North America
and the United Kingdom. They're not coming to Toronto for the rest of the year and one management guy
said they were in negotiations with Rebel Night club to host more.

They're basically playing Oakland A's style "money ball" with their roster and looking for good deals in towns
and venues to shoot a bunch of TV for a couple of months. Then talent can work elsewhere during the layoffs.

The turn out for Slammiversary was good but the TV tapings were embarrassing especially for a market like Toronto
which is top 3 in the continent. WWE is running RAW and Smackdown here next week back to back and they only run
back to back shows like that in the same town if the market is big enough to support it and we can only get a few
hundred people for dirt cheap Impact Wrestling TV tapings? I think having the shows at a night club that's not downtown
which is kind of not easy to get to is a bad idea.

But that's what I was telling Ed Norholm they gotta get Impact off PopTV in the states and the Fight Network (which they own lol)
and the Game Show Channel in Canada because most people don't get those channels and aren't paying for it.

Last weeks show only got 168,000 viewers in the States the lowest in their history not good
RonMexico915
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#45 » by RonMexico915 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:10 am

Bump. BFG is this Sunday. Anyone looking forward to it?
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#46 » by Spens1 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:12 am

RonMexico915 wrote:Bump. BFG is this Sunday. Anyone looking forward to it?

Absolutely, should be a great show. I am shocked though that they didn't try to do Callihan vs Edwards now (since it seems the build up is eventually going to get there).

Really looking forward to the LAX vs OGz match, that should be insane.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#47 » by Spens1 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:20 am

what did everyone make of BFG, in particular, that main event ending? Is it a work or did Aries legit no sell at the end (i mean it if it was a work, its rather russo-riffic).
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,925

Post#48 » by tugs » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:17 am

No sell Aries was the ****
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#49 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:34 pm

Spens1 wrote:what did everyone make of BFG, in particular, that main event ending? Is it a work or did Aries legit no sell at the end (i mean it if it was a work, its rather russo-riffic).

I think it gets ya some short-term attention, but where does it go? They've killed the suspension of disblief - which is a major reason people watch pro rasslin. So the payoff has to be real high, or they just shot themselves - whether the shot is in the foot or the head is to be determined. I mean... how many times does this Russo idea have to fail before people understand that it's gotta go somewhere? It's like a joke with no punchline.

I really doubt it was Aries going into business for himself, because he knows that could end his career.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Spens1
RealGM

Post#50 » by Spens1 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:17 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Spens1 wrote:what did everyone make of BFG, in particular, that main event ending? Is it a work or did Aries legit no sell at the end (i mean it if it was a work, its rather russo-riffic).

I think it gets ya some short-term attention, but where does it go? They've killed the suspension of disblief - which is a major reason people watch pro rasslin. So the payoff has to be real high, or they just shot themselves - whether the shot is in the foot or the head is to be determined. I mean... how many times does this Russo idea have to fail before people understand that it's gotta go somewhere? It's like a joke with no punchline.

I really doubt it was Aries going into business for himself, because he knows that could end his career.

I don't see the payoff, so surely its not a work cause their isn't any benefit. If it is a work, what on earth is the payoff? You made your main even at the biggest show of a year a bit of a joke with more people talking about the finish than your new champion (after a solid storyline as well).

I know he's a member of this site (then again, he's more likely going to lurk the Bucks forum than here :lol: ) so it would be great to get an answer but even that you would have to take with a grain of salt.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#51 » by Spens1 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:40 am

With them off Pop after this year and in a terrible timeslot as a result, Impact are negotiating with TruTV, SyFy and WGN America.

TruTv are owned by Turner so that would be interesting (Turner haunting Vince again would be amusing given all he did with WCW wrestlers and the WCW legacy).
tugs
RealGM

Post#52 » by tugs » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:24 pm

My goodness did you see the smokeshow
tugs
RealGM

Post#53 » by tugs » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:58 am

Puma King is a weird name
RonMexico915
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#54 » by RonMexico915 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:17 am

Spens1 wrote:With them off Pop after this year and in a terrible timeslot as a result, Impact are negotiating with TruTV, SyFy and WGN America.

TruTv are owned by Turner so that would be interesting (Turner haunting Vince again would be amusing given all he did with WCW wrestlers and the WCW legacy).

Now they’re on the Pursuit Channel. DirecTV ch 604. Didn’t even know it existed. Also streams on Twitch, so you don’t even need cable to see Impact. Will be interesting to see what kind of viewership they get.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#55 » by Spens1 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:19 am

RonMexico915 wrote:
Spens1 wrote:With them off Pop after this year and in a terrible timeslot as a result, Impact are negotiating with TruTV, SyFy and WGN America.

Now they’re on the Pursuit Channel. DirecTV ch 604. Didn’t even know it existed. Also streams on Twitch, so you don’t even need cable to see Impact. Will be interesting to see what kind of viewership they get.

Interesting enough, i'd say they need to get a better TV deal still though, like you said, it seems no one really knows about Pursuit.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#56 » by Scott Hall » Thu Apr 4, 2019 5:30 am

Read on Twitter

Pretty excited about this... RVD is in my fav 5 ever. I haven't watched Impact since I was at their tapings
last August but it's fun to go to a show that has like 100-300 people and mingle with the talent, behind the
scenes guys and management.
tugs
RealGM

Post#57 » by tugs » Thu Apr 4, 2019 8:26 am

He'll be fed to the Smokeshow.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#58 » by Scott Hall » Fri Apr 5, 2019 4:34 am

Read on Twitter
Spens1
RealGM

Post#59 » by Spens1 » Fri Apr 5, 2019 6:04 am

Joey Ryan gonna Joey Ryan i guess :lol: Someone book Joey Ryan vs Jim Cornette already though.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#60 » by Wo1verine » Sat Apr 6, 2019 8:23 pm

Scott Hall wrote:
Read on Twitter

Haha Amazing!
BrunoSkull

Return to Pro Wrestling