WWE WrestleMania 34 (April 8th, 2018)

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,756

Re: WWE WrestleMania 34 (April 8th, 2018) 

Post#321 » by spykelee » Mon Apr 9, 2018 2:06 pm

I liked Wrestlemania overall

Charlotte winning was the only acceptable answer to me. She's the queen and clearly at the top of the mountain in WWE. Why would you have Asuka break her streak anywhere but wrestlemania? Asuka losing at like fast lane would have been the worst. Tapping to the most gifted and natural female wrestler of all time was more than acceptable. Charlotte deserves that win and that acknowledgement in my opinion. I wouldnt have even complained if that match Main evented. I loved it. Good Match and good result

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,216

Post#322 » by LLJ » Mon Apr 9, 2018 3:23 pm

I think Asuka should have fought the figure 8 more. I mean, Sasha used to break it numerous times, but Asuka can't even struggle with it once? This is a woman who kicked out the Eclipse.

I also think her promo at the end was terrible pandering. Like, does Charlotte need any more putting over after the match?

Some people say this makes Asuka more "interesting" but I disagree, her character basically died officially last night, which I didn't think was possible. Bayley'ed, even. The Psycho Killer from NXT is now completely dead. NXT Asuka would never have taken a loss happy, she would have gone the Nakamura route or Bob Backlund.

I was swerved. I thought they bought into her, but it appears in fact they had soured on her a while ago and had been building for her downfall for a while.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#323 » by Flames24Rulz » Mon Apr 9, 2018 3:32 pm

The AJ-Shinsuke match is going to be the most disappointing match of the year, and I don't think it's going to be close. For being built up as a "dream match," it was awfully boring. I was much more into the Reigns-Lesnar match than that one as well. The crowd didn't help the AJ-Shinsuke match, but both of them were really disappointing.

I was also really happy to be wrong about Rousey. That match was awesome, and she looked great for her first actual WWE match.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#324 » by Stanford » Mon Apr 9, 2018 4:14 pm

LLJ wrote:The Psycho Killer from NXT is now completely dead.

I think you've dreamed up a character that didn't exist. She was never a psycho killer in NXT. She handled all of her feuds with the same confident respect that she exhibited in her feud with Charlotte. The only difference is that she lost.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#325 » by WRau1 » Mon Apr 9, 2018 4:55 pm

Read on Twitter
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
LLJ
RealGM

Post#326 » by LLJ » Mon Apr 9, 2018 5:28 pm

Stanford wrote:

I think you've dreamed up a character that didn't exist. She was never a psycho killer in NXT. She handled all of her feuds with the same confident respect that she exhibited in her feud with Charlotte. The only difference is that she lost.

Um? She was always cocky, even taunting her opponents in the ring from day one. Look at her first NXT match with Dana Brooke and her last match with Ember Moon. Almost completely different character in ring than what she has become on the main roster. She's a lot broader now, more dancey and smiley. I mean, she used to cut Japanese promos with a glare, and she actually used a more normal speaking tone. Now she's become a lot more shouty, smiley and cartoony.

Go check out her match signing promo when she was challenging Bayley at NXT for the women's title. A completely different woman in body language and tone.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#327 » by Dominator83 » Mon Apr 9, 2018 6:03 pm

Butch718 wrote:This is why people hate Roman, kicking out of 3 straight finishers. They book this guy like complete ass, that the crowd just flat out rejects him. I know finishers don’t mean anymore because everyone kicks out of them. They’re taking it to an absurd level with Roman.

Yep. Even in this era, generally 2 finishers still gets it done
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#328 » by iMoreland » Mon Apr 9, 2018 6:04 pm

When Rousey gets more comfortable on the mic we have a megastar on our hands. That was her first ever pro wrestling match last night and it was the best match of the show. Same with Charlotte, they way they present her makes her feel special. Her entrance last night reminds of entrances Triple H would get. Charlotte vs Rousey should main event the next WrestleMania.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#329 » by Dominator83 » Mon Apr 9, 2018 6:21 pm

Stanford wrote:

When he said Psycho Killer I thought he was talking about Ciampa :lol: Thats what he went by in the indies
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#330 » by improper » Mon Apr 9, 2018 6:47 pm

There's a part of me that hopes that Roman's loss last night was finally an indication that Vince is cutting bait on him. The rational part of me, though, knows we'll be doing this again next year in year five of Vince trying to make Roman happen, and he'll bomb a fourth 'Mania main event in a row (I don't count the first Lesnar/Reigns match as bombing, even if it required Rollins stealing the win to salvage it) and still get pushed as the top guy.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#331 » by Flames24Rulz » Mon Apr 9, 2018 7:07 pm

Apparently Brock and Vince got into an extremely heated argument at the conclusion of WM last night, FWIW.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#332 » by improper » Mon Apr 9, 2018 7:10 pm

Flames24Rulz wrote:Apparently Brock and Vince got into an extremely heated argument at the conclusion of WM last night, FWIW.

Yeah, I read that. My guess is that Brock was pissed the terrible booking put the match in a position to get that type of fan reaction. I mean, none of these want to go out and main event a major show and get "this is awful" and "this is boring" chants. And Lesnar sure as hell knows that he's not the reason for those chants.

And as I predicted, it sounds like Lesnar decided he wanted to drop the title to Lashley, not Reigns. And since Vince is terrified to oppose Lesnar, it sounds like Lesnar will get what he wants.
WRau1
RealGM

Post#333 » by WRau1 » Mon Apr 9, 2018 7:19 pm

I'm hoping Lesnar has an open challenge for the title tonight and Joe wins it.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#334 » by iMoreland » Mon Apr 9, 2018 7:27 pm

I hope they let Brock show what he can really do in the ring in his next title defenses. I'm tired of people saying he can't wrestle or he doesn't give a f***. When he's allowed to be, he's one of, if not the best in that ring.

German suplex and F5 spamming isn't his call. It's Vince.

Although I do enjoy pretty much all of his matches, the ones vs CM Punk and Kurt Angle are perfect examples of what Brock can do where he doesn't just spam 2 moves.
WRau1
RealGM

Post#335 » by WRau1 » Mon Apr 9, 2018 8:01 pm

A lot of mainstream outlets picked up on the Leanar-McMahon post mania argument. Just might not be a work afterall.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
LLJ
RealGM

Post#336 » by LLJ » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:14 pm

So days later, what do people think of Nakamura now? Does he still have it or will his big great main roster match never come? We were promised that THIS time he would deliver THAT big match. Hell, some people argued he NEEDED to deliver at WM. I hear people are saying that heel turn will promise a BETTER match next time, but we've been saying "Maybe the next PPV" for quite some time now. I love Nakamura, he's a great and funny character, but he's being lapped by Asuka at this point in terms of the quality of his WWE match resume and that's not a good sign for him moving forward.

The only viable excuse is that maybe AJ is hurt and they had to take it easy.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#337 » by improper » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:29 pm

LLJ wrote:So days later, what do people think of Nakamura now? Does he still have it or will his big great main roster match never come? We were promised that THIS time he would deliver THAT big match. Hell, some people argued he NEEDED to deliver at WM. I hear people are saying that heel turn will promise a BETTER match next time, but we've been saying "Maybe the next PPV" for quite some time now. I love Nakamura, he's a great and funny character, but he's being lapped by Asuka at this point in terms of the quality of his WWE match resume and that's not a good sign for him moving forward.

The only viable excuse is that maybe AJ is hurt and they had to take it easy.

It's hard to say, because it felt more like the match was poorly booked than anything, and like they took it easy because they knew the Nakamura turn was coming and wanted to save the better match for next time. If they do a Nakamura/Styles program, meaning neither guy switches brands or both do, and it feels like they're going to do that program, we'll have to see if the next match delivers. If it does, we'll know that the one from 'Mania was deliberately booked the way it was either because they were saving the best for later or because Vince didn't want them having a five star match with the crowd fully invested and overshadowing Roman Reigns.

It's also worth noting that the end of Nakamura/Styles was great. The problem was that it felt like it should have gone on for another five or ten minutes, as it ended right when it was hitting that second gear. I think that, if they go another five minutes like that ending stretch, that match is an easy four stars. But they didn't, so it was a three star match.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#338 » by tugs » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:31 pm

I think Austin pointed out that the supposed dream match could be more of a build for something in their feud. I'd be ok with the match quality but it shouldn't be during a PPV as big as Mania.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#339 » by improper » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:31 am

tugs wrote:I think Austin pointed out that the supposed dream match could be more of a build for something in their feud. I'd be ok with the match quality but it shouldn't be during a PPV as big as Mania.

I think they were five minutes away from a great match. But as I said, it felt like they barely got out of first gear until the end. The short segment where they hit the next gear was great, though.
bestnamezRtaken
Senior
And1: 349

Post#340 » by bestnamezRtaken » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:21 pm

I'm actually rewatching the match right now. It's not that this match wasn't good, it was good, just not spectacular like the expectations it should of had. But I think it's because they knew the turn was coming, that they want that face heel dynamic. Once they wrestle again, I think it'll be better.

Also...perhaps some foreshadowing....
Spoiler:

Probably just Kevin Dunn being an idiot. :lol:
Kobe Bryant was asked who he feels is the toughest opponent to guard in the NBA. Instead of picking OKC's Kevin Durant, Bryant went with Portland’s Brandon Roy.

"Roy 365 days, seven days a week. Roy has no weaknesses in his game."

Return to Pro Wrestling