WWE Backlash (May 6th, 2018)

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,372

Re: WWE Backlash (May 6th, 2018) 

Post#41 » by Dominator83 » Mon May 7, 2018 10:39 pm

bestnamezRtaken wrote:What an odd show...I usually try to be as laid back as I can when watching, just trying to enjoy the story that they're trying to tell, regardless if the wrestling is good or not...but this show was...meh. If I wouldn't have seen this live like I did, I wouldn't have been disappointed at all. But I'm gonna go through the matches regardless.

The kickoff show had a decent match. Bayley v Riott wasn't too bad. I remember hearing on a Podcast (not sure which one) that Bayley just wants to wrestle good matches. Even if she isn't in the running for the title, as long as she's wrestling, she's fine. So this leads me to believe she's doing....okay. But holy damn, they've teased this tension between Bayley and Sasha for far too long. Just let it happen already. This could be such an amazing feud, could be up there with Charlotte/Sasha if they didn't keep inching the story line of this like they have been. Anyways, the match was good. I like Ruby and her squad as good heels. A decent way to start the long show.

The best match of the night. Seth Rollins is on a completely different level than anyone right now. He should be the one to dethrone Lesnar AND Styles at the same time. F*** it, on one of those co-branded PPVs that Maggle Cole LOVES repeating, have him wrestle Styles for the title at the beginning of the show and then main event with Brock to take both titles. He's just too money right now. Though I have a feeling we may get a Rollins/Ambrose feud soon. Great match, loved it.

Nia v Bliss was fine for what it was, which was to just tell a story. Neither of them are that great in the ring but they're decent (not great) at telling a story. I kind of feel bad that this seems to be an anti-bullying marketing scheme that Vince is doing with Nia. Put the title on her only to promote anti-bullying to help make us look good. Though Nia isn't quite ready but she's gonna have to learn on the fly quickly. Jinder wasn't ready and now he's at least a decent wrestler now (that should never be in the main event picture ever again ever). So give Nia some time.

The US title match was meh. I think we can all chalk that up to Randy though. There's really no story that they're trying to tell between these two...or really much for the US title right now. Too many hands in the cookie jar and I feel like we're just going to keep getting the same people trying to claim they're next in line instead of actually trying to build a feud with someone. At least Nia and Bliss have a feud going, Jeff is just all over the place with people trying to get a piece of him. Meh.

DBry and Cass wasn't bad. I know a lot of people liked it but I thought that it was too short to really tell much of a story in the ring. They were building up Cass as this big monster heel that is pissed off about getting overshadowed by a much smaller dude. They had him be the one to eliminate DB at the Rumble to build much needed heat on him...and then he submits in less than 8 minutes. Sorry but this match disappointed me. I wanted something a little more with how they were building this. There's no way Cass should have tapped, at the very least, get DQ'd, he looked very weak after this match.

Carmella v Charlotte was an odd match. Having Charlotte lose clean to a heel champion like Mella? No, not good at all. If the plan was to have Carmella win, she should have retained via shenanigans at the very least. Have the IIconics come in to interfere, have Carmella win via cheap shot of some sort, or feet on the ropes, or a controversial pin that looked like maybe Charlotte should have won but because the ref was out of place, he only saw Carmella get the pin....something. But to fake a bum knee injury and have her win clean? Vince, what are you doing buddy?

AJ v Shinsuke was good. But I was confused by the ending because it's a no DQ match...which shouldn't that mean that they DON'T do the 10 count under any circumstances at all? Like, the only way to win is via pinfall or submission? And it's a no DQ match and all we get was a partially used chair? Meh, whatever. These two told a story and it was good up until the finish of the match. I was invested in it and was loving it. It showed both wrestlers looking strong with their own styles of wrestling...then it got to that personal level...then it fell flat. I hope these two don't wrestle at MITB though...if they're really wanting to build this feud, let it happen at.....well scratch that. I was gonna say at SummerSlam but that's not until August and I'm not sure if these two can keep it up until then. I guess we wait to see what Shane/Paige say on Tuesday.

Braun/Bobby v KO/Sami was very bland. WWE has got to do something with these four dudes but not together like this. We needed a good Bobby heel turn and didn't get it. KO and Sami are too good to be jobbing to Braun like this. Though, I guess I liked that they're trying to build tension between KO and Sami, it was fine. But man, I am tired of seeing Braun run outside of the ring to should tackle KO and Sami. It was awesome the first time, funny the second time....played out afterwards. All of these guys have more to offer than cheap little pops like this. bjdsfhsadblaaah I need more of KO and Sami but not like this.

And lastly, Roman v Joe. Even I was falling asleep during this match. My wife kept nudging me and asking if I was still watching..."Hell yeah I'm watching jeez"....I thought it might have been because we had a very busy day with the kids and trying to get the play area all set up....but no, it was just the match. I even heard the chants while I was sleeping. CM PUNK, RUSEV DAY, BEAT THE TRAFFIC....the crowd is done with Roman. They were leaving mid match, which I hope Vince saw. If they don't turn him heel, they're going to continue to push away their audience. It's not been good. This match wasn't great. I feel bad for Joe because he deserves better than this. Perhaps if we don't get a Rollins v Ambrose feud, maybe they're going to try and push Roman against Ambrose with Ambrose running as heel. It's not going to work but Vince doesn't know that. I know I read this on here, but they're going to unintentionally turn Jinder Mahal face if they put him up against Roman. But heel Roman would be so good. So soooo good.

Overall, the show was passable. It was a typical WWE PPV that is trying to inch these story lines ahead at a very slow pace. If I would have missed this show live, I would have been fine with it. But I didn't, so whatever.

I agree with almost everything, but i was fine with Dbry/Cass. Cass destroying him after the match was story enough for me. That was actually one of the very few segments that was done right
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#42 » by loserX » Tue May 8, 2018 12:39 am

WRau1 wrote:
improper wrote:
WRau1 wrote:This PPV is taking an absolute beating by pretty much every reviewer imaginable. Wonder if the almost unanimously terrible grade will force the WWE to change some stuff up starting tonight?

I don't know, there were a noticeable amount of people walking out during the main event and that was picked up by a bunch of sites. Then again, they'll probably just blame Joe.

Part of it was certainly anti-Reigns sentiment, no question about that. But WWE also needs some blame:

- IIRC Roman has lost a number of PPVs in a row, everyone knew he wasn't going to lose another one.
- What kind of program was that? "Hey Roman, it's Joe. Remember that feud we had a long time ago when you beat me? Well you're STILL stupid! There, that's our buildup. Also I'm going to Smackdown so this match will have no stakes or follow-through on any level whatsoever."

I wouldn't blame anyone for not caring. You're right that WWE will likely miss all these points entirely.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,604

Post#43 » by Scott Hall » Wed May 9, 2018 1:03 am

Is Rollins vs. Miz a match of the year candidate?
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,984

Post#44 » by daoneandonly » Wed May 9, 2018 5:27 pm

Scott Hall wrote:Is Rollins vs. Miz a match of the year candidate?

it was a great match, but I don't know if it would beat out Almas vs Gargano NXT takeover Philly, or Ciampa/Gargano. I think some NXT bouts have it beat, but main roster wise, it deserves a nod.

Return to Pro Wrestling