RealGM
And1: 2,926

Re: WWE General Discussion II 

Post#1841 » by tugs » Wed Sep 8, 2021 10:06 am

LLJ wrote:
Marcus wrote:
iMoreland wrote:
Spoiler:
Gable Steveson signs with WWE. Absolutely massive. There's no doubt in my mind he will be a star.

stuff like this that is the reason why Vince feels confident about his personnel moves.

Depth of talent has never been the WWE's problem. Yes they can lose guys like Danielson and Moxley and still have plenty of "names" (though there are no true "draws" in wrestling anymore these days). It's the utilization of their talent and the slow-drip death of their fanbase that's always been their problem. They can sign all the former gold medalists, CFL rejects and former national track athletes (Bianca) in the world they want, but if they're booked like **** (again, Bianca), they won't be creating any true needle movers.

But hey, maybe that's by design. The brand is the draw and all that nonsense.
I agree, the brand and the nostalgia with it. Reason why old guys keep coming back, they didn't care to build another generational face of the company

Reigns has been killing it but damn those wasted opportunities while he wasn't ready. Remember Cesaro? He felt like a nobody when he had his match with Seth
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,848

Post#1842 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:37 pm

tugs wrote:Still pissed they let go of someone with a working gimmick and character but kept his schtick and gave to a woman who doesn't need it

The Fiend sucked. The promos were repetitive and played out and The Fiend couldn't wrestle a real match. I think Bray Wyatt is a talent, but he's too invested into being odd. He doesn't seem to know how to self-edit.

And I know I'm likely alone on this, but I think Bliss plays this character better. She understands it should be more campy than dark if its ever really going to work combined with in ring stuff which ultimately it has too. And unlike Bray, she pretty much makes everything she's given work. She's the best at working a character in the entire division. I love her work.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#1843 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:45 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
tugs wrote:Still pissed they let go of someone with a working gimmick and character but kept his schtick and gave to a woman who doesn't need it

The Fiend sucked. The promos were repetitive and played out and The Fiend couldn't wrestle a real match. I think Bray Wyatt is a talent, but he's too invested into being odd. He doesn't seem to know how to self-edit.

And I know I'm likely alone on this, but I think Bliss plays this character better. She understands it should be more campy than dark if its ever really going to work combined with in ring stuff which ultimately it has too. And unlike Bray, she pretty much makes everything she's given work. She's the best at working a character in the entire division. I love her work.

This may be your opinion but it’s in the severe minority. Fiend was as over as anyone post-Daniel Bryan and his character/promos were new and refreshing in an era that’s been boring and predictable. His failings were 100% due to the company and their booking of him.

As far as Bliss goes: she was a great pairing with Wyatt but was again ruined by booking. As time goes on her interpretation of that character (or wwe’s perhaps) make less and less sense. Luckily for her, she’s talented enough in her regular heel role that she’ll be able to recover.
Do it for Chuck
Texas Chuck

Post#1844 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Sep 8, 2021 1:48 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:And I know I'm likely alone on this,

This may be your opinion but it’s in the severe minority.

:D
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
tugs
RealGM

Post#1845 » by tugs » Wed Sep 8, 2021 2:50 pm

I don't know what to think of Alexa. She's good, but the gimmick is like a mix of Al Snow with Head and R-Truth with Lil Jimmy, and Rosemary from Impact
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#1846 » by WRau1 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 3:25 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

This may be your opinion but it’s in the severe minority. Fiend was as over as anyone post-Daniel Bryan and his character/promos were new and refreshing in an era that’s been boring and predictable. His failings were 100% due to the company and their booking of him.

As far as Bliss goes: she was a great pairing with Wyatt but was again ruined by booking. As time goes on her interpretation of that character (or wwe’s perhaps) make less and less sense. Luckily for her, she’s talented enough in her regular heel role that she’ll be able to recover.

Yup, there was a time where Fiend was arguably the most over act in all of pro wrestling. WWE completely killed him with **** booking.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
tugs
RealGM

Post#1847 » by tugs » Wed Sep 8, 2021 3:28 pm

Started off with the effen red light lol
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#1848 » by Marcus » Wed Sep 8, 2021 4:56 pm

LLJ wrote:
Marcus wrote:
iMoreland wrote:
Spoiler:
Gable Steveson signs with WWE. Absolutely massive. There's no doubt in my mind he will be a star.

stuff like this that is the reason why Vince feels confident about his personnel moves.

Depth of talent has never been the WWE's problem. Yes they can lose guys like Danielson and Moxley and still have plenty of "names" (though there are no true "draws" in wrestling anymore these days). It's the utilization of their talent and the slow-drip death of their fanbase that's always been their problem. They can sign all the former gold medalists, CFL rejects and former national track athletes (Bianca) in the world they want, but if they're booked like **** (again, Bianca), they won't be creating any true needle movers.

But hey, maybe that's by design. The brand is the draw and all that nonsense.

it absolutely is, and as a business (which is how Vince has always looked at it) he's never really looking to grab and keep hold of wrestling fan. Wrestling fan is a given, they'll forever be there good or bad because they are wrestling fan. Vince wants the casuals and has always gunned for the casuals. This is the type of signing (whether the performer pans out or not) that the casuals will gravitate to. The company is large enough to throw stuff at the wall and hope it sticks. If it doesn't he doesn't have a problem moving on to the next. He'd rather roll the dice for that needle mover with the casuals than invest in one for wrestling fan.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Texas Chuck

Post#1849 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Sep 8, 2021 6:36 pm

Marcus wrote:it absolutely is, and as a business (which is how Vince has always looked at it) he's never really looking to grab and keep hold of wrestling fan. Wrestling fan is a given, they'll forever be there good or bad because they are wrestling fan. Vince wants the casuals and has always gunned for the casuals. This is the type of signing (whether the performer pans out or not) that the casuals will gravitate to. The company is large enough to throw stuff at the wall and hope it sticks. If it doesn't he doesn't have a problem moving on to the next. He'd rather roll the dice for that needle mover with the casuals than invest in one for wrestling fan.

Yep. This is why Jake Paul appears. Or all the other stupid celebrity spots (Bad Bunny I exempt as he clearly put in a ton of work for his run). It's why he still drags Hogan out when wrestling fans view him rightfully as a pariah.

And while we can all be very critical of Vince as Creative. He's proven himself over and over again as a businessman. AEW has to play to the hardcore fans because they have no chance of competing in any other fashion. We want to credit them for doing it right, but if we are honest, they are just doing what they have to as well. Otherwise you are Impact or TNA and nobody cares at all.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1850 » by Marcus » Wed Sep 8, 2021 8:51 pm

Read on Twitter
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#1851 » by improper » Wed Sep 8, 2021 10:28 pm

Marcus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Breaking: Vince’s booking finally gives Triple H a heart attack.
tugs
RealGM

Post#1852 » by tugs » Wed Sep 8, 2021 10:48 pm

Damn, get well soon, Paul

Don't wanna say it's from all the cuts that happened
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#1853 » by Pharaoh » Wed Sep 8, 2021 11:49 pm

Marcus wrote:
Read on Twitter
Highly unlikely it's a genetic thing IMO

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#1854 » by Scott Hall » Thu Sep 9, 2021 8:17 am

Texas Chuck wrote:
Marcus wrote:it absolutely is, and as a business (which is how Vince has always looked at it) he's never really looking to grab and keep hold of wrestling fan. Wrestling fan is a given, they'll forever be there good or bad because they are wrestling fan. Vince wants the casuals and has always gunned for the casuals. This is the type of signing (whether the performer pans out or not) that the casuals will gravitate to. The company is large enough to throw stuff at the wall and hope it sticks. If it doesn't he doesn't have a problem moving on to the next. He'd rather roll the dice for that needle mover with the casuals than invest in one for wrestling fan.

Yep. This is why Jake Paul appears. Or all the other stupid celebrity spots (Bad Bunny I exempt as he clearly put in a ton of work for his run). It's why he still drags Hogan out when wrestling fans view him rightfully as a pariah.

And while we can all be very critical of Vince as Creative. He's proven himself over and over again as a businessman. AEW has to play to the hardcore fans because they have no chance of competing in any other fashion. We want to credit them for doing it right, but if we are honest, they are just doing what they have to as well. Otherwise you are Impact or TNA and nobody cares at all.

The last 2 RAW "Legends Nights" were ordered from the USA network and with Hogan as the main attraction both
episodes saw a significant ratings increase. Hogan detractors like to pretend that Hogan doesn't have a significant
fanbase but he clearly does.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#1855 » by improper » Thu Sep 9, 2021 8:30 pm

Scott Hall wrote:The last 2 RAW "Legends Nights" were ordered from the USA network and with Hogan as the main attraction both
episodes saw a significant ratings increase. Hogan detractors like to pretend that Hogan doesn't have a significant
fanbase but he clearly does.

The problem is that those boosts don't really do anything, because the people who tuned in just to see Hogan will tune right back out the following week.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#1856 » by iMoreland » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:03 am

Gable Steveson goes straight to the main roster, right?
tugs
RealGM

Post#1857 » by tugs » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:14 am

iMoreland wrote:Gable Steveson goes straight to the main roster, right?
FOR THE **** ACADEMY!!!

But, can't have 2 Gables in one stable so that's not gonna happen. Or, it's gonna be Otis, Gable Steveson, and Chad
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1858 » by Ruzious » Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:09 pm

Nah, he'll be on the fast track, but it's a different sport, and he's got a lot to learn.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1859 » by Marcus » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:00 pm

think it depends on how quickly he picks it up performance wise. Could give him a mouthpiece to sell the character if the performance part comes around quickly. Long as the in-ring work matches the gimmick they choose for him I think the rest will be shot from the hip.
Watch More Basketball

Texas Chuck

Post#1860 » by Texas Chuck » Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:08 pm

Marcus wrote:

think it depends on how quickly he picks it up performance wise. Could give him a mouthpiece to sell the character if the performance part comes around quickly. Long as the in-ring work matches the gimmick they choose for him I think the rest will be shot from the hip.

Give him time. It's not like he's some household name that sells itself. Angle worked not because the credibility of the gold medal but because he could play his character from the jump. Rushing him only to have the audience turned off because the champion wrestler can't professionally wrestle good matches and his character isn't compelling defeats the whole purpose here.

Return to Pro Wrestling