WWE General Discussion II

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Re: WWE General Discussion II 

Post#1041 » by LLJ » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:33 pm

WWE investor's conference call today was pure comedy

Financial stock decline, a weak first quarter (RTW is usually the best time of the year in terms of ratings and interest), unhappy employees...oh boy. And what do they blame? Talent being absent. You know, it's all because Roman was out. Never mind that ratings have continued to sink even after he's returned.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,862

Post#1042 » by Stanford » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:43 pm

lol, I bought WWE stock about 5 years ago at around 11 bucks. They have a long way to fall before shareholders are allowed to start complaining about price.
LLJ
RealGM

Post#1043 » by LLJ » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:47 pm

Their TV deal and Saudi deal will keep them afloat a long time yet. But there's no question that in terms of consumer engagement, it's down and continues to go down. Luckily for them, they are no longer relying on customer satisfaction to make money anymore, so there's no incentive to improve the product creatively.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1044 » by Stanford » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:34 pm

I'd say consumers are engaged with their product more than they ever have. Mostly because access is greater than it ever has been. Recorded TV viewers are down, but I think that's a poor way to view engagement in 2019. A lot of people my age don't even have cable. They're watching a bootleg version on the internet or the next day on Hulu. Even those wrestling fans who don't like the weekly TV shows admit that they're big NXT fans. There's just so much content for people to choose from. You don't even need to watch Raw anymore. I don't!
LLJ
RealGM

Post#1045 » by LLJ » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:05 am

I always hear the excuse that people are watching more online now, but are you saying that those MILLION viewers they lost over the past year are now ALL subscribed to the WWE network or watching on Hulu? ALL A MILLION OF THEM? Somehow, I really really doubt it.

And sports have also faced the same issue and they haven't dropped nearly as much year over year. Most playoff games now can be seen streamed but they haven't dropped nearly as many viewers as the WWE have over such a short period.

I really don't buy it. And the fact that the investors clearly showed concern in the conference call over attendances being down and audiences possibly tiring of the same faces (one question actually said this) means it is something that has crossed their minds that there may be some issue with the product itself.

It's nice if you enjoy the product, I'm happy if you do. But the fact that all the things fans have complained about for the past few months are actually being voiced out loud by shareholders means it's starting to go outside the echo chamber of the IWC now and into those actually invested in the profits aspect of the business.

But hey, Q2 will be better anyway with the Saudi show coming up which always inflates the quarterly profit margins.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#1046 » by improper » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:57 am

The only thing that is going to force WWE to take a long look in the mirror is losing a TV deal. Until then, they'll just keep producing a garbage product because they make money either way.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1047 » by Stanford » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:39 am

They're engaged with the product despite not watching raw live. I'm engaged with the product. I dont watch either TV show.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,756

Post#1048 » by spykelee » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:12 am

I thought the talent missing excuse, like many Vince ideas lately missed the mark. There ratings certainly haven't plummeted due to Roman being out or whomever else they could point too. No question the main roster programming is pretty bland. Access wise though there is more content than ever. I have the network as an example and love it. Love all the behind the scenes looks or documentary style programming they do. I could never watch raw and smack down, and still be a huge fan of the network/wwe.

Wwe is a victim of their own demise. The popularity of there own nxt programming sorta highlights how poor the main roster is. And people get burned out too. Can only handle so much wrestling per week. Most adult males are watching nxt and just can't take the main roster serious and that's for a whole litany of reasons as have been discussed here numerous times. I think trying to market tough guy fighting and appealing to kids is just sorta too ridiculous a line to walk. Nxt is more action, more violence, more real heel work, more crowd interaction. Everything. It isn't a secret why it's so successful, it's just a matter of time until it and other similar wrestling programming get their chance on network TV and can hopefully change the landscape as we know it

Sent from my LG-H873 using RealGM mobile app
bestnamezRtaken
Senior
And1: 349

Post#1049 » by bestnamezRtaken » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:39 am

There are multiple YouTube channels that produce highlight videos of shows like Raw, SmackDown Live, NXT, NBA games, NFL games, etc etc, where what was a 2-3 hour show, is condensed into a 10-15 minute video clip, where you're essentially able to be caught up without having to watch the actual show. WWE's YouTube channel will even do this with most of their promos and matches.

The thing that sucks about Hulu though, especially with Raw being 3 hours, is that it's a super condensed version where they even take out certain matches and promos. I remember that's how I was watching Raw for a few weeks, then I hopped on YouTube and I see WWE has a Balor promo and match from Raw and I'm like, wait what? I didn't see that! That's because of some sort of deal in the contract between the two, that purposely leaves out certain things.
Kobe Bryant was asked who he feels is the toughest opponent to guard in the NBA. Instead of picking OKC's Kevin Durant, Bryant went with Portland’s Brandon Roy.

"Roy 365 days, seven days a week. Roy has no weaknesses in his game."
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#1050 » by Spens1 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:28 pm

I see WWE are being petty with Luke Harper (despite basically wasting his time after the Wyatt family broke up) and adding time, i'd be like 'alright then, pay me to sit down and do nothing then'.

This should be a cautionary tale to everyone who signs, be careful what you wish for, its a lot harder to get out of the WWE

Also Malenko has apparently left the company (bizzare choice to let him go given he'd be a damn good wrestling coach, imagine learning from Dean Malenko).

it does seem like they're ditching a lot of the older agents (they let go of Arn Anderson) and bringing in new blood, which i guess makes sense but you do need some steady hands as well.

Also Lio Rush got heat again, this time for trying to be a top guy. If this is true, the locker room can get lost, not everyone is as complacent as you lot and some people actually have some iota of ambition other than just being in the WWE (which is 80% of that locker room, other than Vince himself and pathetic booking, the biggest reason the current product is its worst). Good on him actually trying to be a main eventer, if he has to step on some toes to get there then so be it.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#1051 » by Spens1 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:53 pm

Stanford wrote:lol, I bought WWE stock about 5 years ago at around 11 bucks. They have a long way to fall before shareholders are allowed to start complaining about price.

I am so jealous. Seriously once the Fox deal starts you'd probably have it at around 10 times the amount you bought it at.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#1052 » by Spens1 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:02 pm

Stanford wrote:I'd say consumers are engaged with their product more than they ever have. Mostly because access is greater than it ever has been. Recorded TV viewers are down, but I think that's a poor way to view engagement in 2019. A lot of people my age don't even have cable. They're watching a bootleg version on the internet or the next day on Hulu. Even those wrestling fans who don't like the weekly TV shows admit that they're big NXT fans. There's just so much content for people to choose from. You don't even need to watch Raw anymore. I don't!

That's the thing, there is so much wrestling nowadays that one can consume, good wrestling from even the smallest companies via everything from subscription (new japan world, DDT Universe, Dragon Gate) to youtube (MLW, Defiant, Beyond) and twitch (AAA) where wrestling companies are using.

Before, if you wanted wrestling, it was essentially WWE or nothing (maybe with a dash of TNA) and the other companies where downright near inaccesible unless you bought the DVD's.

I mean the company has hit a wall at 1.5 million subs and that has not really moved in a while so people are clearly getting that fix elsewhere.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1053 » by Stanford » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:06 pm

Spens1 wrote:
Stanford wrote:lol, I bought WWE stock about 5 years ago at around 11 bucks. They have a long way to fall before shareholders are allowed to start complaining about price.

I am so jealous. Seriously once the Fox deal starts you'd probably have it at around 10 times the amount you bought it at.

Not so fast, haha. I sold it around 30. This was a year ago. It had historically been a a 10-12 dollar stock. I didn't think it would take the ride it has over the last year.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#1054 » by WRau1 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:48 am

WWE preshow commentator and host on the WWE Network, Pat McAfee. Can't believe Cole almost made this guy walk, what a gem.

Read on Twitter
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#1055 » by iMoreland » Wed May 1, 2019 4:39 am

Read on Twitter
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1056 » by Stanford » Wed May 1, 2019 4:58 am

Meltzer is saying that 'Mox' is a new series running after Smackdown on the USA Network.

Interesting choice.
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#1057 » by Scott Hall » Wed May 1, 2019 6:37 am

Any word on what made Corey Graves finally get an adult haircut?
Spens1
RealGM

Post#1058 » by Spens1 » Wed May 1, 2019 7:55 am

Luke Harper is stuck in purgatory.

Vince being the P.O.S and adding 6 months onto his contract to sit on his backside.

That's a great way to get people to sign to your contract.

Also if anyone wants to challenge them in the court, the WWE will lose, badly (i know america's worker rights laws are probably amongst the weakest in the western world, but even those laws would protect Harper in this case since most places allow for 2 weeks notice).

It gets worse apparently, Revival have refused 500k per year over 5 years (well duh, they're going), i'd refuse too after that dumb segment on monday. Wilder apparently also has another 2 months on his contract (have Jim Cornette confront Vince about holding his son hostage).

Talent are legit trying to fail drug tests (at least i've seen that) and that ain't working. So by all means WWE talent, get absolutely loose,
Spens1
RealGM

Post#1059 » by Spens1 » Wed May 1, 2019 8:10 am

iMoreland wrote:
Read on Twitter

If we get the return of Jon Moxley, wherever he goes (AEW, Impact, New Japan, hell, even freaking CZW, he'll be money).
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#1060 » by jakecronus8 » Wed May 1, 2019 5:37 pm

Looks like AEW for Moxley. You can see two dice in the video numbered 2 and 5. The All or Nothing is in vegas on the 25th. Can't wait.
Do it for Chuck

Return to Pro Wrestling