WWE General Discussion II

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Re: WWE General Discussion II 

Post#1621 » by Scott Hall » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:26 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I mean I think we all get Hogan is the biggest draw. But he was boring. His promos were boring. His in-ring work was terrible and that's generous. Major props on him for figuring out how to get over, but should the GOAT be the most over guy or the best guy?

Brittney Spears has sold a lot more records than Radiohead. She ain't better.

For me the best needs to be able to work--Flair could do that. He's not HBK or Steamboat or Daniel Bryan but he could work. They need to be able to cut a great promo--he could do that. Maybe he's not peak Rocky or Jericho, but he could talk. He needs a great character and Flair had one of the best. He led stables, he was arguably the GOAT heel, but he could work babyface if need be.

Maybe he isn't, but Hogan isn't either unless your criteria is just money. Which is true if you are Vince but probably shouldn't be if you are a fan.

And maybe I don't give Jericho enough credit. Maybe he should be considered the GOAT over Flair. But man I got to be entertained and that's why Hogan and Taker are forever off the table for me despite probably being the biggest two names. Both of them just so boring.

"Hogan was boring"

"His promos were boring"

"His in-ring work was terrible and that's genrous"

I don't mean to sound mean but I couldn't read the rest of your post after that because clearly you aren't being objective
and still using your own misinformed personal opinion as some reasoning as to why he's not.

I mean really what do you want me to say to that? and take this seriously?

Oh Hogan was "Boring" I mean jeez you don't become the biggest draw in history because you were "boring"
Millions of people around the world would laugh at that comment.

His promos were boring? yeah that's why even non wrestling fans know his catchphrases and people have been
impersonating them for 35 years.

His in ring work was "terrible".... oh lord he was trained by Hiro Matsuda. Hogan is arguably the greatest "seller" in
history and has some of the best psychology ever his match with the Rock is used as a teaching tool in psychology by
Dr. Tom Pritchard for his students.

Most of the "hOgAn cOuLdN't wReStLe" crowd is only going off what they saw in his WCW and late WWF years. If
you watch his matches in Japan or his late 70's to early 80's matches you will see Hogan have almost a completely
different moveset and see that he can work technical and submission style matches.

The same thing goes for todays wrestlers... most WWE guys want to wrestle in Japan because they can be themselves
and aren't restricted to WWE style which is more restrictive because of their grueling travel schedule.

All you gotta do is look up Hogan vs. Great Muta in Japan on Youtube to see if Hogan can "wrestle" or not.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,808

Post#1622 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:38 pm

Not sure what you want Scott? :D

I'm only able to speak for myself so that's what I'm doing. I'm allowed to be bored by Hogan even if millions and millions of others weren't, right?

Anyway I'm more of a lurker here and I'll lurk back out and leave you to it. Definitely didn't mean to upset anyone by suggesting Flair > Hogan. It really didn't feel that controversial to me if I'm honest.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#1623 » by Scott Hall » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:02 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Not sure what you want Scott? :D

I'm only able to speak for myself so that's what I'm doing. I'm allowed to be bored by Hogan even if millions and millions of others weren't, right?

Anyway I'm more of a lurker here and I'll lurk back out and leave you to it. Definitely didn't mean to upset anyone by suggesting Flair > Hogan. It really didn't feel that controversial to me if I'm honest.

When you talk about who's the GOAT Basketball player do you base it off on who ever your personal favorite
was? If you don't like Jordan or Lebron or whoever do you try to diminish their achievements?

Like I hate Shawn Michahels I've met him twice in real life and he's the biggest douche ever and I used to hate
him and his character back in the day but when I'm talking about GOATs I will never let my personal opinion of
him affect where I would objectively rank him as a wrestler and try to down play what he accomplished in his career.

Same with Kobe could not stand him (more so his fans then him) but I won't let that factor in where I think he
ranks in the GOAT convo.

You mentioned music I also think the Beatles are overrated not a big fan but I'm not gonna diminish what
they accomplished and ignore that millions of people love them and think they're awesome. They're in the GOAT
Band discussion if not the GOAT even though I think they're overrated.
Texas Chuck
And1: 88,808

Post#1624 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:15 pm

Scott Hall wrote:[

When you talk about who's the GOAT Basketball player do you base it off on who ever your personal favorite
was? If you don't like Jordan or Lebron or whoever do you try to diminish their achievements?

No but that's a competitive endeavor and not pure entertainment. I don't see the relevance of the comparison. Now if you ask me who my favorite player to watch was, well Lebron and Mike are way down the list, as is Kobe. I'd talk about Bird and Pippen and Andre Miller.

I wouldn't pick Taker as GOAT because of The Streak. :D But Russell being the greatest defender, rebounder, and leader of all-time while also winning 11 championships in 13 seasons a couple of those as player-coach definitely gets him in a GOAT conversation.

Anyway you seem really invested in Hogan as GOAT and my point was less about saying he shouldn't be and more about Flair needing to be in any serious conversation---again IMO. No question Hogan is a very significant figure in the business. But say your prayers eat your vitamins rip your shirt big boot leg drop rinse repeat bored me to death. NWO was a great angle, but then WCW overplayed it and it got really stupid with the red and the white and then the LWO. And then for the WWE to try and revive it was dumb. Yes a Hogan heel turn was brilliant. But the rest of that way too long angle quickly grew old and just stupid.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#1625 » by Scott Hall » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:34 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:[

No but that's a competitive endeavor and not pure entertainment. I don't see the relevance of the comparison. Now if you ask me who my favorite player to watch was, well Lebron and Mike are way down the list, as is Kobe. I'd talk about Bird and Pippen and Andre Miller.

I wouldn't pick Taker as GOAT because of The Streak. :D But Russell being the greatest defender, rebounder, and leader of all-time while also winning 11 championships in 13 seasons a couple of those as player-coach definitely gets him in a GOAT conversation.

Anyway you seem really invested in Hogan as GOAT and my point was less about saying he shouldn't be and more about Flair needing to be in any serious conversation---again IMO. No question Hogan is a very significant figure in the business. But say your prayers eat your vitamins rip your shirt big boot leg drop rinse repeat bored me to death. NWO was a great angle, but then WCW overplayed it and it got really stupid with the red and the white and then the LWO. And then for the WWE to try and revive it was dumb. Yes a Hogan heel turn was brilliant. But the rest of that way too long angle quickly grew old and just stupid.

I'm just trying to look at things objectively and thinking about as many major things as possible that people would use
to determine a GOAT and I'm seeing one guy that stands out and there is quite a significant gap between number 2.

Even though forms of Entertainment like Wrestling and Music aren't the same as sports there is some statistical data
that shows who was the most successful.

I'm not trying to sound rude but when someone is telling you some one sucks or is overrated or whatever because it's
their opinion it doesn't really add anything to the debate and is not really stimulating. When the topic is who is
your personal favorites which is also an interesting topic then that's fine.

What is your favorite Ric Flair match? or did you just like him because his gimmick was the party animal ladies man
and the "Wooooo" ?

We do agree on the Undertaker and I don't really ever hear anyone call him the GOAT and only a select few have him
on Mount Rushmore. Where would you rank him all-time? Top 10? Top 25?
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#1626 » by JohnPferdelack » Wed Sep 2, 2020 11:45 pm

The Rock, his wife and kids have tested positive for COVID-19
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#1627 » by Scott Hall » Wed Sep 2, 2020 11:59 pm

Wow
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,863

Post#1628 » by Stanford » Sat Sep 5, 2020 2:34 am

The guy who should be your president has some things to say about WWE.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Go get him, Andrew. Go Biden.
Coach Smiley
Assistant Coach
And1: 980

Post#1629 » by Coach Smiley » Sun Sep 6, 2020 1:40 am

Wrestlers need to join the Screen Actors Guild already, way overdue. Then maybe Stephanie can get her precious Emmy too.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#1630 » by Spens1 » Tue Sep 8, 2020 11:34 am

They ought to form their own union already but we all know that won't happen cause politics. But their needs to be a wrestling union to prevent this.
whysoserious
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#1631 » by whysoserious » Tue Sep 8, 2020 6:54 pm

Scott Hall wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:I mean I think we all get Hogan is the biggest draw. But he was boring. His promos were boring. His in-ring work was terrible and that's generous. Major props on him for figuring out how to get over, but should the GOAT be the most over guy or the best guy?

For me the best needs to be able to work--Flair could do that. He's not HBK or Steamboat or Daniel Bryan but he could work. They need to be able to cut a great promo--he could do that. Maybe he's not peak Rocky or Jericho, but he could talk. He needs a great character and Flair had one of the best. He led stables, he was arguably the GOAT heel, but he could work babyface if need be.

Maybe he isn't, but Hogan isn't either unless your criteria is just money. Which is true if you are Vince but probably shouldn't be if you are a fan.

And maybe I don't give Jericho enough credit. Maybe he should be considered the GOAT over Flair. But man I got to be entertained and that's why Hogan and Taker are forever off the table for me despite probably being the biggest two names. Both of them just so boring.

"Hogan was boring"

"His promos were boring"

I don't mean to sound mean but I couldn't read the rest of your post after that because clearly you aren't being objective
and still using your own misinformed personal opinion as some reasoning as to why he's not.

Oh Hogan was "Boring" I mean jeez you don't become the biggest draw in history because you were "boring"

His promos were boring? yeah that's why even non wrestling fans know his catchphrases and people have been

His in ring work was "terrible".... oh lord he was trained by Hiro Matsuda. Hogan is arguably the greatest "seller" in
history and has some of the best psychology ever his match with the Rock is used as a teaching tool in psychology by

Most of the "hOgAn cOuLdN't wReStLe" crowd is only going off what they saw in his WCW and late WWF years. If
you watch his matches in Japan or his late 70's to early 80's matches you will see Hogan have almost a completely
different moveset and see that he can work technical and submission style matches.

The same thing goes for todays wrestlers... most WWE guys want to wrestle in Japan because they can be themselves
and aren't restricted to WWE style which is more restrictive because of their grueling travel schedule.

All you gotta do is look up Hogan vs. Great Muta in Japan on Youtube to see if Hogan can "wrestle" or not.

Not to jump in this convo late and i'm not really supporting either Flair or Hogan in this debate but you've mentioned a few times that Flair was just okay working but and dismissed people that supported Flair as being people born in the late 60's or 70's. Flairs peak ring work was in this era for sure but then you want to give Hogan credit for his ring work back in the 70's.

Flair was actually a very good worker. He was a heel and put on regular one hour long matches. You talk about selling, Flair sold like crazy to make his opponents look good.

Flair and Hogan are both on the Mt Rushmore. GOAT is subjective but Hogan was the biggest face of that 80's era and Flair was the biggest heel of the 70's and 80's. Hogan had a huge run later on turning heel while WCW did nothing with Flair. Flair came back to WWE with a great run with Evolution.

For me, neither would get GOAT status, they had their strengths and weaknesses. Neither was the total package or five tool player. Those to me are Austin, Rock, Jericho, HBK, CM Punk and i'd include Bret Hart (but that's a personal choice). I'd also argue that Eddie might need some consideration amongst that group.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1632 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 8, 2020 8:36 pm

I'd differentiate between GOAT and MVP - the MVP being who was the most important/valuable to the industry. And I'd go with Flair there. Flair came along before Hogan. He carried the NWA and then Turner's brand - basically everything other than the WWWF/WWF - and only joined the WWF after his physical prime. There were other greats in his prime - like Harley Race and Dusty Rhodes - but Flair was clearly the face of the industry. Hogan started out in the AWA as pretty much an unskilled but huge and charismatic figure. McMahon easily bought him out from Verne Gagne and had a gold mine. Hogan started out with nothing but the big leg drop and his dramatic comebacks. He does deserve credit for going to Japan and developing some rasslin skills, but he was never the in-ring performer that Flair was. He was great at being a larger than life character that appealed to kids of all ages. When I was a kid, that was great, but as an adult, I appreciate what Flair did more than what Hogan did. I can see how others see it differently.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#1633 » by Scott Hall » Tue Sep 8, 2020 9:31 pm

whysoserious wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:

"Hogan was boring"

"His promos were boring"

Not to jump in this convo late and i'm not really supporting either Flair or Hogan in this debate but you've mentioned a few times that Flair was just okay working but and dismissed people that supported Flair as being people born in the late 60's or 70's. Flairs peak ring work was in this era for sure but then you want to give Hogan credit for his ring work back in the 70's.

Flair was actually a very good worker. He was a heel and put on regular one hour long matches. You talk about selling, Flair sold like crazy to make his opponents look good.

Flair and Hogan are both on the Mt Rushmore. GOAT is subjective but Hogan was the biggest face of that 80's era and Flair was the biggest heel of the 70's and 80's. Hogan had a huge run later on turning heel while WCW did nothing with Flair. Flair came back to WWE with a great run with Evolution.

For me, neither would get GOAT status, they had their strengths and weaknesses. Neither was the total package or five tool player. Those to me are Austin, Rock, Jericho, HBK, CM Punk and i'd include Bret Hart (but that's a personal choice). I'd also argue that Eddie might need some consideration amongst that group.

What I'm saying is Flair is critically overrated in the ring and Hogan is severely underrated in the ring...

Hogan haters/skeptics/critics use this "he couldn't wrestle" narrative most people that say this are casual fans
or are just going off their memory of what they remember in 80's WWF and 90's WCW without looking at context,
acknowledging his bangers or are privy to what he did pre WWF.

Thanks to Youtube and WWE Network we are now able to watch a lot of Hogans non WWE/WCW matches. What you
find is almost a completely different worker with a vastly different moveset. This guy was trained by Hiro Matsuda
and won over the respect of Japanese Wrestling fans and the average wrestling fan will tell you he can't wrestle because
they saw his WM 3 match with Andre.

So where was that Hogan in WWF and WCW? The 80's WWF schedule may have been the most crazy wrestling schedule
in history these guys worked 6-7 days a week and wrestled sometimes twice on Sundays. As a promoter the goal is to
make money and having this phenom that is driving the industry to new heights wrestle 40 mins a night and do every
move in his arsenal and take a bunch of bumps doesn't make sense.

Also back then the mindset of the promoter and psychology was different. Hogan was classified as a "Big Man" so
he should work like a Big man also because of his size it wouldn't be "believable" to work against smaller guys that
are great workers like Ricky Steamboat, Bret Hart, Dynamite Kid etc.

Also since Hogan was somewhat of a late bloomer Vince wanted to protect his lightning in the bottle asset since
he was in his mid to late 30's when he started peaking. Most of Hogans notable WWF feuds and matches are with
monsters like Andre, Bundy, Studd, Kamala, Bossman, Earthquake, Sid, Yokozuna etc. even guys like Shawn Michaels
and Bret Hart would have a hard time getting great matches out of those guys. When you wrestle super heavyweights
your moveset becomes severely limited and there is only so many moves you can do and then add the restrictive WWF
style on top of that.

Hogan then adjusted and became an expert at the nuances of wrestling like working the crowd, psychology, timing,
the importance of selling, facial reactions and the importance of look. He finally works with a smaller guy in Randy
Savage and they have a great match at WM 5, he literally carried Ultimate Warrior step by step to a classic match
at WM 6, He hadn't had a singles match in almost 2 years in his late 40's and was thrown into a loop with the crowd
reaction at WM 18 against Rock and they turned out an all-time classic.

Look at Hogans match against The Great Muta at the Tokyo Dome in 1993 basically right between his WWF run and
WCW run he was 40 at that point and he completely adjusts his style and has a great match with the Great Muta.

And I bring this all up again not because I think Hogan is the greatest worker of all-time but to bring it up to
all these people that claim "Hogan couldn't wrestle" and just don't have educated eyes or are privy to his mainstream
stuff.

As for Ric Flair if you watch a Flair match from 70's, 80's, 90's or 2000's they're all pretty much the same. I asked
earlier for someone to name me all the classic Ric Flair matches and I got crickets. Ric Flair did not have some
great impressive moveset and yes he could wrestle long 1 hour matches but a lot of them was being in headlocks
for 10 minutes and wooing to fans outside the ring. Flair was great for his time and probably was the GOAT during
the late 70's-early 80's but he has long been surpassed in the in-ring department. Outside of mic skills/promos
which is highly subjective there is not one category Flair is the GOAT in.

As for Austin and Rock they aren't "5 tool guys" as they aren't even close to being elite in ring performers. The
other guys you mention weren't big draws which is why you barely see any of them on a lot of Mount Rushmore
lists let alone in the GOAT convo. Like I mentioned before this isn't a personal favs list it's an objective GOAT debate.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1634 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 8, 2020 9:59 pm

You mentioned he was trained by Hiro Matsuda - which is true, but Matsuda was working for a wrestling organization in Florida, and Hogan got tired of working with him - so he left the organization to run a gym - with his buddy Ed Leslie aka Brother Brutus. Hogan had extremely little wrestling background when he joined the AWA, and he wasn't there for very long before he joined the WWF and immediately became their biggest star. There's basically no chance that he was a skilled worker when he became a big star. Did he work hard to improve - hell yes, but let's look at the facts - he simply didn't have the background to be a top worker during his first few years in the industry.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#1635 » by Scott Hall » Tue Sep 8, 2020 11:30 pm

A lot of what you're saying about Hogan is not factual at all...

He didn't start out in the AWA he already had been in the business a few years before he ever joined them including
selling out and headlining the famous "Showdown at Shea" match with Andre in 1980 for WWWF for Vince Sr.

He also worked for NJPW before he worked with AWA and also worked for both at the same time... here is what
Wikipedia says about Hogans run in Japan.

"In 1980, Hogan began appearing in New Japan Pro-Wrestling (NJPW) where Japanese wrestling fans nicknamed him "Ichiban" (which translates to "Number One"). Hogan first appeared on May 13, 1980, while he was still with the WWF. He occasionally toured the country over the next few years, facing a wide variety of opponents ranging from Tatsumi Fujinami to Abdullah the Butcher. When competing in Japan, Hogan used a vastly different repertoire of wrestling moves, relying on more technical, traditional wrestling holds and maneuvers as opposed to the power-based, brawling style American fans became accustomed to seeing from him. In addition, Hogan used the Axe Bomber, a crooked arm lariat, as his finisher in Japan instead of the running leg drop that has been his standard finisher in America. Hogan still made appearances for the WWF, even unsuccessfully challenging Pedro Morales for the Intercontinental Championship on March 26, 1981.[38] On June 2, 1983, Hogan became the first International Wrestling Grand Prix (IWGP) tournament winner and the first holder of an early version of the IWGP Heavyweight Championship, defeating Antonio Inoki by knockout in the finals of a ten-man tournament.[39][40] Since then, this championship was defended annually against the winner of the IWGP League of the year until it was replaced by current IWGP Heavyweight Championship, that is defended regularly.[40]

Hogan and Inoki also worked as partners in Japan, winning the MSG (Madison Square Garden) Tag League tournament two years in a row: in 1982 and 1983. In 1984, Hogan returned to NJPW to wrestle Inoki to defend the early version of the IWGP title after that Inoki won in the finals of the IWGP League, becoming the new no. 1 contender to the championship.[40] Hogan lost the match and title belt by countout, thanks to interference from Riki Choshu. Hogan also defended his WWF World Heavyweight Championship against Seiji Sakaguchi and Fujinami, among others, until ending his tour in Nagoya on June 13 losing to Inoki via count-out in a championship match for the early version of the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. Hogan was the only challenger in the history of that title that didn't win the tournament to become the no. 1 contender to the championship"

You also claim Hogan was for kids but if you go back and watch prime WWF he was over with all age groups from kids to
seniors to men and women and all ethnic groups that's how WWE became global. Also Hollywood Hogan definitely wasn't
geared towards kids as the 18-49 male demographic thought him an the nWo was the coolest thing ever (along with Austin).
How many nWo shirts do you still see in the crowd to this day?
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#1636 » by Pharaoh » Wed Sep 9, 2020 1:59 am

Scott Hall wrote:
whysoserious wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
"Hogan was boring"

"His promos were boring"

What I'm saying is Flair is critically overrated in the ring and Hogan is severely underrated in the ring...

Hogan haters/skeptics/critics use this "he couldn't wrestle" narrative most people that say this are casual fans
or are just going off their memory of what they remember in 80's WWF and 90's WCW without looking at context,

Thanks to Youtube and WWE Network we are now able to watch a lot of Hogans non WWE/WCW matches. What you
find is almost a completely different worker with a vastly different moveset. This guy was trained by Hiro Matsuda
and won over the respect of Japanese Wrestling fans and the average wrestling fan will tell you he can't wrestle because

So where was that Hogan in WWF and WCW? The 80's WWF schedule may have been the most crazy wrestling schedule
in history these guys worked 6-7 days a week and wrestled sometimes twice on Sundays. As a promoter the goal is to
make money and having this phenom that is driving the industry to new heights wrestle 40 mins a night and do every

Also back then the mindset of the promoter and psychology was different. Hogan was classified as a "Big Man" so
he should work like a Big man also because of his size it wouldn't be "believable" to work against smaller guys that

Also since Hogan was somewhat of a late bloomer Vince wanted to protect his lightning in the bottle asset since
he was in his mid to late 30's when he started peaking. Most of Hogans notable WWF feuds and matches are with
monsters like Andre, Bundy, Studd, Kamala, Bossman, Earthquake, Sid, Yokozuna etc. even guys like Shawn Michaels
and Bret Hart would have a hard time getting great matches out of those guys. When you wrestle super heavyweights
your moveset becomes severely limited and there is only so many moves you can do and then add the restrictive WWF
style on top of that.

Hogan then adjusted and became an expert at the nuances of wrestling like working the crowd, psychology, timing,
the importance of selling, facial reactions and the importance of look. He finally works with a smaller guy in Randy
Savage and they have a great match at WM 5, he literally carried Ultimate Warrior step by step to a classic match
at WM 6, He hadn't had a singles match in almost 2 years in his late 40's and was thrown into a loop with the crowd

Look at Hogans match against The Great Muta at the Tokyo Dome in 1993 basically right between his WWF run and
WCW run he was 40 at that point and he completely adjusts his style and has a great match with the Great Muta.

And I bring this all up again not because I think Hogan is the greatest worker of all-time but to bring it up to
all these people that claim "Hogan couldn't wrestle" and just don't have educated eyes or are privy to his mainstream
stuff.

As for Ric Flair if you watch a Flair match from 70's, 80's, 90's or 2000's they're all pretty much the same. I asked
earlier for someone to name me all the classic Ric Flair matches and I got crickets. Ric Flair did not have some
great impressive moveset and yes he could wrestle long 1 hour matches but a lot of them was being in headlocks
for 10 minutes and wooing to fans outside the ring. Flair was great for his time and probably was the GOAT during
the late 70's-early 80's but he has long been surpassed in the in-ring department. Outside of mic skills/promos

As for Austin and Rock they aren't "5 tool guys" as they aren't even close to being elite in ring performers. The
other guys you mention weren't big draws which is why you barely see any of them on a lot of Mount Rushmore
lists let alone in the GOAT convo. Like I mentioned before this isn't a personal favs list it's an objective GOAT debate.
Flair at Starrcade v pretty much anyone from first event onwards (Dusty, Race, Vader, Luger)

Flair v Funk I Quit Match 89

Flair v Sting Clash #1 88

Flair v Steamboat trilogy 89

Flair v Shawn Michaels Mania

Flair v Savage - pick a WWE match

Could throw in random matches v Curt Hennig, Barry Windham etc

The accusation that all his matches are the same can be thrown at most of the top stars in the business. Everyone has signature spots and they appear in every match for that reason.

IMO Hogan is the GOAT simply because he elevated the business to another level.

Flair next, then Austin. Stone Cold elevated the business but doesn't have the longevity.

Shawn next based on his 2 runs and the sheer amount of memorable matches.

Rock, Taker, Bret, Sting, Inoki, some Mexican dude round out the top 10

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#1637 » by Scott Hall » Wed Sep 9, 2020 2:34 am

Pharaoh wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
whysoserious wrote:

style on top of that.

stuff.

Flair at Starrcade v pretty much anyone from first event onwards (Dusty, Race, Vader, Luger)

Flair v Funk I Quit Match 89

Flair v Sting Clash #1 88

Flair v Steamboat trilogy 89

Flair v Shawn Michaels Mania

Flair v Savage - pick a WWE match

Could throw in random matches v Curt Hennig, Barry Windham etc

The accusation that all his matches are the same can be thrown at most of the top stars in the business. Everyone has signature spots and they appear in every match for that reason.

IMO Hogan is the GOAT simply because he elevated the business to another level.

Flair next, then Austin. Stone Cold elevated the business but doesn't have the longevity.

Shawn next based on his 2 runs and the sheer amount of memorable matches.

Rock, Taker, Bret, Sting, Inoki, some Mexican dude round out the top 10

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

At the beginning of the debate I gave credit for his matches with Steamboat, Funk, Sting and his WM 8 match
with Savage. His match with HBK when he retired was ok but it was mostly a nostalgia trip and notable for
the ending.

For a guy that wrestled as long as he did and is supposed to be this great worker that resume is pretty thin
and his resume of great matches gets destroyed by guys like Bret, HBK, Jericho, Angle, Benoit etc.

All-time those matches don't rank that high on the all-time list and were for the number 2 promotion in the
country and was only a real draw to people in the South and parts of the mid west.

If you said in the 80's that Ric Flair is the greatest in ring performer of all-time you wouldn't get many arguments
in the year 2020 I'd be shocked if anyone still has him in the top 10-15 in that department.

The one thing I disagree with was that all the top stars have the same or similar matches. Bret Hart could have
bangers with giants or behemoths like Diesel, Sid, Yokozuna etc as he could with cruiserweights like 1-2-3 Kid,
Hakushi etc or fellow technical wrestlers like Mr. Perfect. At the 1992 SummerSlam he led British Bulldog who
was an all-nighter from a coke binge and had forgotten the entire match to arguably the greatest Summerslam
match ever. Also Bret hardly ever had gimmick matches like HBK did with all the ladder and HIAC matches or like
Steve Austin did during the Attitude Era brawling all over the arena and using a bunch of chairs.

Just google "Bret Hart on Ric Flair sabotaging his matches"... I watched some of their house show matches on
Youtube after and you see how Bret literally had to dumb it down and adjust to Flairs old school 1970's style
of working a match. He also talks about Flair getting lost in the matches and nothing against Flair but a new
generation of guys came along shortly after him that could wrestle circles around him.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#1638 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 3:13 am

Finn as NXT champion feels like the right move for the brand, but I think they should coincide that move with making him the leader of retribution. Makes sense given his main roster history, would be a surprise, and gives that stable a leader that can make them a serious stable. I don’t think Dijakovic is that guy. Certainly not at this point in time. If they truly love DD they can do the slow build of him turning on Finn and taking over as the leader.
Do it for Chuck
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,550

Post#1639 » by Dominator83 » Wed Sep 9, 2020 8:14 am

jakecronus8 wrote:Finn as NXT champion feels like the right move for the brand, but I think they should coincide that move with making him the leader of retribution. Makes sense given his main roster history, would be a surprise, and gives that stable a leader that can make them a serious stable. I don’t think Dijakovic is that guy. Certainly not at this point in time. If they truly love DD they can do the slow build of him turning on Finn and taking over as the leader.

Yea I like DD and glad they're looking to get him over, but not sure if he can be the mouthpiece of a stable. I do understand though that they're not asking him to be the Rock or HHH or anything, more like a Wade Barrett. But I agree that I like Finn better for a Wade Barrett type mouthpiece
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#1640 » by tugs » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:02 am

To be fair, Wade was excellent on the mic even during the early NXT days. But yeah that would be awesome if Finn has his own stable taking over a brand while he's in NXT. Takes out that developmental feel

Return to Pro Wrestling