All Elite Wrestling - Discussion

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Re: All Elite Wrestling - Discussion 

Post#101 » by Spens1 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 1:47 am

Assuming they get Ambrose, they will have a solid main event scene (though i still reckon Zayn should go as well, since he's probably the only one who could potentially match or come close to Omega in terms of pure in ring work, he's also no slouch on the mic).
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#102 » by improper » Mon Feb 4, 2019 1:51 am

Spens1 wrote:Assuming they get Ambrose, they will have a solid main event scene (though i still reckon Zayn should go as well, since he's probably the only one who could potentially match or come close to Omega in terms of pure in ring work, he's also no slouch on the mic).

Zayn really showed me what a great wrestler he is when he turned heel and killed it. Never seen the dude as a heel before and he just shifted like it was nothing while still giving a valid reason for turning heel (although they didn't pay it off by having him win something after turning, which is a storytelling no-no). He's right up there with Daniel Bryan as far as overall talent goes.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#103 » by Ruzious » Mon Feb 4, 2019 11:49 pm

improper wrote:
Spens1 wrote:Assuming they get Ambrose, they will have a solid main event scene (though i still reckon Zayn should go as well, since he's probably the only one who could potentially match or come close to Omega in terms of pure in ring work, he's also no slouch on the mic).

Zayn really showed me what a great wrestler he is when he turned heel and killed it. Never seen the dude as a heel before and he just shifted like it was nothing while still giving a valid reason for turning heel (although they didn't pay it off by having him win something after turning, which is a storytelling no-no). He's right up there with Daniel Bryan as far as overall talent goes.

Agreed - up until the last sentence - not knocking Zayn - just acknowledging Bryan.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Spens1
RealGM

Post#104 » by Spens1 » Tue Feb 5, 2019 12:39 am

Ruzious wrote:
improper wrote:

Agreed - up until the last sentence - not knocking Zayn - just acknowledging Bryan.

I don't think the gap is that huge. If given the opportunity its clear Zayn can step up and be a main eventer for sure.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#105 » by Spens1 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:33 am

So the worst kept secret in wrestling is confirmed. Kenny Omega is going to AEW and is one of the executive Vice Presidents.

They're also working with AAA, which basically kills of any AEW-New Japan deal dead in the water (CMLL and AAA HATE each other).

Basically put, if jericho or omega get new japan deals, it will be completely separate (Jericho will work New Japan as will Kenny at some point).

Also first announced match, PAC vs Hangman Page (rip Hangman)

edit: they're also working with Tokyo Joshi Pro Wrestling (which is a subsidiary promotion of DDT, which is Omega's 'home promotion' sort of, who are rumoured to be potential allies of AEW alongside Wrestle 1).
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#106 » by tugs » Fri Feb 8, 2019 7:44 am

Oh wow. That's big.

In other news, Henry and Ray proposing Orton to join AEW. Imagine how that would be.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#107 » by Spens1 » Fri Feb 8, 2019 8:23 am

Oh yeah, other signings include Sonny Kiss (no idea), Kyle Rae (not to be confused with Kay Lee Ray) and Sammy Guevara (current AAA Crusierweight Champion and in general, independent standout).
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,135

Post#108 » by heatwillbeback » Fri Feb 8, 2019 2:45 pm

Talent is incredible. And they have money behind it.

This looks like it could be the competition to WWE that we all want and that is needed in wrestling today in the US. This has the chance to be awesome. All comes down to the right TV deal imo.

Right of Honor has had the talent, but never the money or TV deal.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#109 » by Spens1 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 1:00 am

I don't think AEW even plans to be competition though, i think they just want to be another big company (as petty as Vince is though, he'll say only his promotion can be the only big league).

I will say though, AEW signing a deal with AAA may be the dumbest decision they've made so far, especially if they want to work with New Japan.

Getting AAA and CMLL to work together would be like trying to get Vince Russo and Jim Cornette to co produce a wrestling show, they'd kill each other before anything took place.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#110 » by jakecronus8 » Sat Feb 9, 2019 4:33 pm

Looks like it got pretty serious with Omega and Vince. I hope more and more people spurn Vince and head there. It will piss him off and he'll raise his game up and make the product better. Win win for everyone
Do it for Chuck
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#111 » by improper » Sat Feb 9, 2019 5:40 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Looks like it got pretty serious with Omega and Vince. I hope more and more people spurn Vince and head there. It will piss him off and he'll raise his game up and make the product better. Win win for everyone

I'm hoping AEW is a huge success primarily for that reason. WWE has been treading water and resting on their laurels for over a decade now. The lack of competition has led to stagnation and minimum risk taking. If AEW succeeds and, more importantly, can financially compete with WWE for talent long-term, it's really going to have to force WWE to step it up and output a product that isn't garbage.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#112 » by Spens1 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:23 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

First bit of somewhat solid news but it is rumours. If they're true though, TBS or TNT both have around the same amount of viewers as USA so that will be a huge TV deal (certainly the biggest since the end of WCW 20 years ago).

If they get their act together and book well, then we have a viable alternative on our hands.

With exposure like this, i'd imagine they'd be able to get some top talent as well (since most talent from WWE and i'd imagine Impact, ROH and even MLW as well to an extent) would be looking at this with keen interest.

I'd imagine Jon Moxley (Dean Ambrose) most likely is on his way as is the Revival, the next few months could be interesting to see who departs as well (Sasha perhaps, Good Brothers, Sami Zayn, Rusev, EC3 all seem kind of likely given they most likely aren't going to get a lot of TV or singles feud time). along with Impact Talent going there full time (Grace, Blanchard), ROH talent (almost anyone and everyone).

Also the idea of HBO showing AEW PPV's, if its anything like showtime boxing, damn that would be amazing.

The key now will be i think seeing if New Japan want to work with them (after MSG, they should be at least open to the idea if AEW drops AAA), i'd say it really depends, having a guy like an Ayato Yoshida in front of millions every week would be amazing for his development (Yoshida is the one who would excel the most in the states, Narita to the UK and Umino to Mexico) and could make him a household name where people could really follow his progress.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#113 » by tugs » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:13 am

Insert Ron Simmons here Damn!
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,216

Post#114 » by LLJ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:59 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Looks like it got pretty serious with Omega and Vince. I hope more and more people spurn Vince and head there. It will piss him off and he'll raise his game up and make the product better. Win win for everyone

More and more I think Vince has lost that energy to adapt now. He's just another rich 73 year old man who "doesn't understand millennials" (by his own admission) and he's just throwing crap on the wall now to see what sticks. No offense to Becky and Kofi who I'm glad are getting their due, but his latching onto anyone who's getting a reaction now because he's damaged too many of his bigger stars to put in main events at this point of the year reeks of some desperation.

The fact that he's rewriting episodes minutes before airtime more and more often now shows that he's actually worried about things, but has no overarching plan or vision anymore.

AEW will already have a leg up on the WWE if they even have a viable midcard that they put even average effort into. The WWE basically has no midcard. You're either at the top or you're nowhere, and that has damaged countless of their talents, moreover they have trained their fanbase to not care about anything except the top title matches. No self-respecting wrestling promotion in the world makes 9/10ths of a card feel irrelevant more than the WWE. Remember the days when the WWE or WCW actually had midcard feuds that were allowed to occasionally overshadow the main event ones, if they organically became hot feuds? That literally is not allowed to happen anymore.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#115 » by improper » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:00 am

It has been announced that Cody's opponent at Double or Nothing will be none other than Dustin Rhodes.

That's a pretty big get for AEW imo. He may not be a star on the level of Jericho, but he's still a very recognizable face from wrestling's most popular era. He can also still go in the ring.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#116 » by iMoreland » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:42 am

Goldust is 50 and hasn't had a 10+ minute match in probably 5+ years, there's no way of knowing if he can still go in the ring
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#117 » by improper » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:33 pm

iMoreland wrote:Goldust is 50 and hasn't had a 10+ minute match in probably 5+ years, there's no way of knowing if he can still go in the ring

When I said a big get, I meant more due to his name than anything. He's one of the few guys from the Attitude Era still working regularly (and AEW already has the best guy from that era that's still around). He's also got a recognizable name and, as we've seen, an instant hot feud with a top AEW guy. That video promo he did for AEW made me want to see his match with Cody.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#118 » by Spens1 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:51 am

The match technically probably won't be that great, probably not even average if recent Cody matches are any indication (Cody Rhodes ain't carrying anyone to a match that is above 3.5 stars, let alone his 50 year old brother who hasn't wrestled on TV in what seems like years). I think this will be much more story based (it will have to be) where both certainly excel much more at, therefore, we'll see more emotion in this one.

I think it may also serve as Dustin Rhodes swansong and he'll transition into some kind of booking/agent role.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#119 » by improper » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:33 am

Spens1 wrote:The match technically probably won't be that great, probably not even average if recent Cody matches are any indication (Cody Rhodes ain't carrying anyone to a match that is above 3.5 stars, let alone his 50 year old brother who hasn't wrestled on TV in what seems like years). I think this will be much more story based (it will have to be) where both certainly excel much more at, therefore, we'll see more emotion in this one.

I think it may also serve as Dustin Rhodes swansong and he'll transition into some kind of booking/agent role.

Yeah, I don't think it's gonna be an instant classic or anything, but it's a match I'm actually interested in seeing, which goes for a lot. Personal stakes add a lot to a match, which is something I wish WWE would remember.
bestnamezRtaken
Senior
And1: 349

Post#120 » by bestnamezRtaken » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:19 pm

What are the personal stakes of the match other than it being brother v brother?
Kobe Bryant was asked who he feels is the toughest opponent to guard in the NBA. Instead of picking OKC's Kevin Durant, Bryant went with Portland’s Brandon Roy.

"Roy 365 days, seven days a week. Roy has no weaknesses in his game."

Return to Pro Wrestling