Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Re: All Elite Wrestling - Discussion 

Post#1041 » by Scott Hall » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:34 am

Dominater wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Ruzious wrote:The Bucks at their very best were in Japan - where they were the best in the world - and I don't see how anyone who watched could disagree. That's also where Adam Cole became a great pro rassler. That environment made all 3 of them significantly raise their level. Yeah, the Bucks had a couple of over-choreographed matches in AEW recently, but they also had the most amazing parts in that AEW Stadium Stampede match that was the highlight of pro rassling this year, imo. And the Uso's are as guilty as anyone with having their opponents catch them outside the ring.

Believe me, I'm no fan-boy of AEW and think they have a lot of very weak links. It's just that the Bucks and MJF are not weak links by any stretch. We completely disagree on MJF, but I see where you're coming from - he's not a completely traditional looking heel. But he is at least on his way to becoming a Great heel.

I don't hate the Young Bucks or think they suck or anything like that or don't find them to be a weak link of AEW.
I know Randy Orton and Jim Cornette and some others have been very critical of their style. Me I don't know what
to make of it like I said I feel like I'm watching like a Broadway show or something. At times I find them very entertaining
the ladder match they had with the Lucha Bros earlier in the year was one of the better tag matches I've seen when
they are on like you said they are some of the best in the world but lately I'm seeing matches that are going on to long
that are spotfest from start to finish and some stuff looking really bad like that clip Orton posted on them a few weeks
back or that spot with Luchasauraus.

It's not so much them that's the problem it's this new "style" of this generation and like I mentioned the NXT guys
are guilty of it as well. There's this mindset that being the best in ring wrestler is the only thing that matters in
wrestling and you do that by doing matches with nothing but high spots and doing every move you can think of
because that will get you 5 stars in the observer. A DDT in this generation is like taking a body slam or clothesline
it has like no effect. And finishers what's the point of having them since everybody kicks out of them a thousand
times nowadays.

Guys have these types of matches on TV every week so when you see them on PPV they don't feel that special.
I'd just like to see some guys slow down a bit work on pacing, story telling, psychology and make their stuff look
more realistic to get that perfect balance with their crazy athleticism.

It's fine that you disagree about MJF I heard Jim Ross call him a "prodigy" on the Preshow. I just think he has a ceiling
and is somewhat one dimensional. It's like prospects in a draft some of us are higher on guys upside and potential
then others.

Yea its kinda like the NBA nowadays. Everybody just wants the fast paced 3pt shootout from all 30 teams. Back in the early 2000's when it was the Mavs, the Suns, and Kings doing it, it was a special treat to watch. Now everybodys doing it and its lost its uniqueness.

As i've stated here many times, fans now are too spoiled. Main stream wrestling back then was alot like WWE network edition of NXT. Not everybody was featured every week, and it was common to feature the top stars against jobbers or lower level opponents, so you still get to have your Hulk Hogan or Undertaker match without giving anything away. The high profile opponents were saved for the PPVs. You would commonly see a Seth Rollins level guy against, say, a Drake Maverick or Cedric Alexander in the main event of the weeks top show. Then the next week that Seth Rollins level guy would only be seen in a video or promo. It kept things much more fresh for much longer, and the PPVs felt like high profile matches that you weren't going to see anywhere else and you felt like you HAD to see them because you were invested and weren't seeing those matches on RAW or WCW Saturday Night, etc. The Monday Night War era is when that stuff started going out the window.

Couldn't agree more on the finishers. They mean nothing now. Pretty much any match now thats mid-card level and up, its a 2 finisher minimum to win the match. Back when we were growing up, it was finisher followed by 1-2-3. Kicking out of a finisher was done on RARE occasion, and only in big matches on PPV, if even at all. And on those rare occasions that it did happen, it was a big deal and was legit shock value.

Wrestling like the NBA, has a case of "Too much of a good thing is bad"

Yeah that's a good comparison... they say the NBA is a copycat league and you can say that about this generation
of wrestling. I read an interview recently I think it was from Jake Roberts where he said these guys don't know how
to get over anymore so they do all these crazy moves and take all these crazy bumps. This generation grew up on
guys like the Hardy Boyz and Mick Foley so they think that's the only way.

I always felt like a wrestlers prime is in their mid to late 30's. So many of the younger guys that got over by being
super athletic are starting to catch up to father time or they have had a ton of injuries and can't do a lot of what
they used to do. But with all the years of experience they become smarter wiser workers and learn the nuances of
wrestling and know how to save and use their athletic spots wisely. A lot of guys have their GOAT matches at this
point of their careers.

One thing I've found out is that while the new Young Bucks style of wrestling can be highly entertaining if done
properly it can also be extremely cringe and boring if not done properly. Once again this week Jungle Boy and
Luchasarus were wrestling I think the Lucha Bros and it just looked so choreographed and hokey. Like 4 Trapeze
artists working a choreographed performance as opposed to making a fight look real as possible.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,294

Post#1042 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:46 am

Archer needs a big win. I’m not saying he should be world champion, but he needs more credibility as a main event talent/heel and as a threat to win. His most credible win thus far is against Dustin Rhodes (excluding the battle
Royal win). He has yet to establish himself as a true main event player; he went M.I.A after that loss to Cody and then was toiling around on Dark for a number of weeks, IIRC. He can throw around jobbers at ring side every week, have Jake as a mouth piece, and even have some good matches, but until he wins a big one I’m just not buying him.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant

Post#1043 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:07 am

I like Best Friends, and I like Orange Cassidy. They obviously have a big place on the roster — I just don’t think their place is in the main event. It’s silly, and Indy level stuff and i don’t think it’s what you put in a prime time spot on a national wrestling TV show. JR, Tony and Excalibur trying to put it over as an entertaining “spectacle” wasn’t working for me either. They didn’t even sound like they believed their words.

I felt like the show was missing Cody. I think he’s their best overall talent. For all the props that Jericho, MJF, Moxley and Jake the Snake get on the mic (and rightfully so) I thought Cody had the best 2-3 promos of 2019/early 2020. He has a dynamite look (no pun intended) and he’s a made talent. It feels like a big deal when he’s out there. Personally, can’t wait to see him back. He’s probably my favorite pro wrestler as of now.

Brodie Lee wasn’t on the show either (unless I just missed him). Don’t see how you can just have a week with no mention from one of your premier players. Give me a 30 second backstage promo or something.

I do think that AEW is struggling with how to feature everyone adequately on a weekly basis, though with their current time constraints.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#1044 » by Scott Hall » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:27 am

Yeah I wasn't a fan of this episode felt boring and I was patiently waiting for it to end already. It felt like an
episode of what After Dark should be or what Thunder used to be for WCW. If Dynamite is your Nitro it needs
to be jam packed.

I felt there was way to much wrestling on this show with mostly matches I could careless about and not enough
promos/vignettes to add some steam to the storylines.

Where is Zack Ryder?? he joins and all he's done is a couple of run-ins and that's it. They should have an interview
with him he's a pretty big name from WWE people want to hear what he has to say and people that never watched
WWE need to know why he's somewhat of a big name and why they should care about him.

There is a fine balance of over exposing talent and not showcasing them enough and I feel like WWE does a bad
job of over exposing a lot of talents and AEW does a bad job of under utilizing talents where you forget they're
on the roster or who they're feuding with.

Also someone mentioned it already but it's weird not to have a heel announcer at all. Feels like 3 friends
doing a podcast just watching wrestling in the background at times.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1045 » by Ruzious » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:41 pm

I only watched a bit of the show - FTR vs Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus. It seems clear that AEW management understands that Lucha just isn't ready for prime time - even though he does some things very well. They had him out of most of the match chasing one of FTR in the stands and getting hurt. Jungle Boy put on a nice show - not just flying around but mat wrestling. He's obviously been working hard to improve, and they did a nice job of showing his strengths. Just wish he was a little bigger.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#1046 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:03 pm

I didn’t think it was a bad episode, nothing special. I do think it’s time for them to get a new show, or at least start stacking up Dark. The roster is getting a bit too stacked now, which is a great problem to have.

I do like how feuds that aren’t world titles can still close out a show and be a good main event. I like the feud, I enjoy the blow off. Parking lot brawl was ppv worthy match and feud imo.

Glad to see a continued push for Hobbs but he should eat the pin regardless, you need to make Archer look like a threat heading into the title fight.

Why are omega/young bucks turning heel and not hangman? Love this storyline, still.

Really not much else stood out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you Clutch0z24
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant

Post#1047 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:53 pm

The Omega/Hangman storyline has become a little convoluted and confusing. It should’ve been a more simple, straightforward/formulaic build to them feuding toward the end of their run and afterward. The Young Bucks have made their way into the feud and FTR has become involved and it’s become more about Hangman’s drinking problem then anything else.

It looked like Hangman was going to be the one to turn heel and it was something of a swerve that he hasn’t but then, I don’t really know what he’s doing. He’s just dejected and in this self-loathing state constantly — I truly don’t know if he’s heel or face at this point.

I don’t really care for the Bucks as heels. It just doesn’t come across as believable. I’m really trying not to hate on them because I do enjoy their matches most of the time and the fans are into it and it adds to the atmosphere of the show — but their presentation is lacking. I mean, they look and dress and sound like teenage boys (I mean, WTF was that promo where they were calling out Hangman a few weeks ago? It sounded like they were gonna cry) and it’s just hard to take them seriously. There’s hardly been a demeanor change. Idk, it’s just more weird than anything.

I also don’t love Miro being associated with Sabian/Penelope. Whether it be face, or heel, coming in being associated with an undercard jobber doesn’t help him.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#1048 » by Dominator83 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:43 pm

Scott Hall wrote:Yeah I wasn't a fan of this episode felt boring and I was patiently waiting for it to end already. It felt like an
episode of what After Dark should be or what Thunder used to be for WCW. If Dynamite is your Nitro it needs
to be jam packed.

I felt there was way to much wrestling on this show with mostly matches I could careless about and not enough

Where is Zack Ryder?? he joins and all he's done is a couple of run-ins and that's it. They should have an interview
with him he's a pretty big name from WWE people want to hear what he has to say and people that never watched
WWE need to know why he's somewhat of a big name and why they should care about him.

There is a fine balance of over exposing talent and not showcasing them enough and I feel like WWE does a bad
job of over exposing a lot of talents
and AEW does a bad job of under utilizing talents where you forget they're

Also someone mentioned it already but it's weird not to have a heel announcer at all. Feels like 3 friends

For WWE they're guilty of both. They always have plenty of good talent that they do nothing with and just waste
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#1049 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:29 am

Parking Lot Brawl got 5 stars, while I enjoyed it, I didn’t see it as a 5 star match.

Thank you Clutch0z24
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant

Post#1050 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:47 am

AirCanadaMouse wrote:Parking Lot Brawl got 5 stars, while I enjoyed it, I didn’t see it as a 5 star match.

That’s absolutely ridiculous. 1. It wasn’t even that good a match. There were some cool spots, it was fairly entertaining but let’s not get crazy. 2. A five star match should have a five star story behind it. This nonsense about Chuck’s mom’s minivan is just weird and annoying. Like, there’s nothing that makes me care about them having a match — much less main eventing an episode of dynamite.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#1051 » by Scott Hall » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:05 pm

Dominater wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:Yeah I wasn't a fan of this episode felt boring and I was patiently waiting for it to end already. It felt like an
to be jam packed.

job of over exposing a lot of talents
and AEW does a bad job of under utilizing talents where you forget they're

For WWE they're guilty of both. They always have plenty of good talent that they do nothing with and just waste

I knew they were gonna run into this problem when NXT started to be become a farm system for the main roster. So
you hire and/or train all these wrestlers in NXT and then they eventually get called up to the main roster. Well the
problem is hardly anybody is retiring or getting released and the rosters become over loaded. There was a period
there that only Big Show, Kane and Mark Henry retired or got phased out and just an influx of talent comes in.

Back in the 90's it was frustrating seeing all these talented guys only have short runs in WWF then get tossed out
to another territory. Now a days guys have guaranteed contracts and maybe Vince has gotten softer but some wrestlers
stick around way past their expiry date. It's crazy that some crappy or stale wrestlers can last 10-15 years now.

The Pandemic cuts sucked for the talent but it was actually a good thing for the company. If Vince doesn't like someone
or they aren't that talented and can''t get over there's no need to keep them around for 10-15 years because there
is always gonna be talent coming through each year in NXT.

As for AEW I know there's been talks about having another 2 hour show like Thunder down the line so they will have
the talent for it if it happens. Right now I have no problem with them building up there roster with good WWE, TNA, NWA
etc talents being released but eventually they will need to start cutting out some of the Indy junk they started off
with. You gotta run the promotions like a business and not a charity because it hurts the product if you do.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant

Post#1052 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:16 am

It’s downright silly that Sonny Kiss and Janela get so much damn TV time. There’s no reason they should be in a competitive 15 minute match to start Dynamite with a guy like Miro/Rusev. I try not to hate on wrestlers but I really wish I didn’t have to see them (Kiss and/or Janela) on my TV again.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant

Post#1053 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:14 am

Omega is so terrible on commentary. I have no clue how having him out there furthered anything in this Hangman situation (feud?). He was just out there awkwardly calling the match.
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#1054 » by Dominator83 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:42 am

Amare_1_Knicks wrote:Omega is so terrible on commentary. I have no clue how having him out there furthered anything in this Hangman situation (feud?). He was just out there awkwardly calling the match.

Yea Omega needs to stick to wrestling. He's not CM Punk or MVP that can kill it at the commentators table as well as the ring.

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant

Post#1055 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:42 pm

Dominater wrote:
Amare_1_Knicks wrote:Omega is so terrible on commentary. I have no clue how having him out there furthered anything in this Hangman situation (feud?). He was just out there awkwardly calling the match.

Yea Omega needs to stick to wrestling. He's not CM Punk or MVP that can kill it at the commentators table as well as the ring.

Yeah, it was just weird. They teased heel turns for both guys at some point, but Omega was sitting their commentating and didn’t sound like much of a heel. Hangman was in the ring and he certainly came across as a baby face.

Cody screams star to me. His look, the way he carries himself, his work in the ring, he looks like a wrestler/athlete, he has a memorable/catchy theme song, and he’s such an underrated promo. His return entrance was a bit dramatic but it was still cool. Glad to see him back. I think he’s one of those guys that can transcend the wrestling business and be successful in hollywood (as we’re already seeing, but even more so). Either way, the show needs him and I’m glad he’s back.

Interested to see where they go with him and Brodie though. Rematch for the TNT title? 5 v 5, Nightmare Family vs the Dark Order ?

Loved the MJF/Jericho interaction btw. MJF mentioned potentially creating his own faction — I wonder if MJF and Jericho might team in some way? Though I think a feud between the two would be the way to go. Jericho’s been toiling around with the lower level talent for too long now. That feud would be good for the both of them — great promos, great wrestling matches, and two stars elevating the promotion as a whole.
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#1056 » by Dominator83 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:02 pm

Amare_1_Knicks wrote:
Dominater wrote:

Yeah, it was just weird. They teased heel turns for both guys at some point, but Omega was sitting their commentating and didn’t sound like much of a heel. Hangman was in the ring and he certainly came across as a baby face.

Cody screams star to me. His look, the way he carries himself, his work in the ring, he looks like a wrestler/athlete, he has a memorable/catchy theme song, and he’s such an underrated promo. His return entrance was a bit dramatic but it was still cool. Glad to see him back. I think he’s one of those guys that can transcend the wrestling business and be successful in hollywood (as we’re already seeing, but even more so). Either way, the show needs him and I’m glad he’s back.

Interested to see where they go with him and Brodie though. Rematch for the TNT title? 5 v 5, Nightmare Family vs the Dark Order ?

Loved the MJF/Jericho interaction btw. MJF mentioned potentially creating his own faction — I wonder if MJF and Jericho might team in some way? Though I think a feud between the two would be the way to go. Jericho’s been toiling around with the lower level talent for too long now. That feud would be good for the both of them — great promos, great wrestling matches, and two stars elevating the promotion as a whole.

Yea Jericho has sorta gone from Le Champion to Le bum slayer. I mean I get it, guys should cycle in and out of the main event picture. But he does need a high profile feud and MJF is perfect

AirCanadaMouse
Starter

All Elite Wrestling - Discussion 

Post#1057 » by AirCanadaMouse » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:19 pm

Had no idea AEW had a Tuesday special along with the regular dynamite...the Ben Carter vs. Scorpio Sky match is well worth the watch...

But I enjoyed the Wednesday episode a lot:

- I love Sonny Kiss. I cheer really heavily for him. I want him to succeed. Badly. But that match was really sloppy from everyone involved.

Miro almost hurt Kip on a silly spot on the outside, I see spots like this and think, what’s the point? Kayfabe wise, a double team like that is ineffective. Just unnecessary risk. Not a good opener, but I’m
Happy with them taking their time with Miro and not throwing him in a title shot with no where to go after.

- Eddie Kingston promos are always must see, I like how he came right after the match to cut it. Seamless transition into the next segment, some old wcw stuff right there and I’m all for it. Great promo, they worked a really stiff match too, which was an enjoyable change of pace compared to the high spot matches we usually get. And good call making this the main event, storyline wise it made sense too. He was never eliminated!

- Brodie Lee is my winner of the episode. he was entertaining in just about everything, pushing silver around, the promo after the match, I wish it was a total squash, not a long drawn out beat-down. The match did nothing for me but I missed Cody being on dynamite. It’s another must see wrestler when he’s on and they need that.

- Evil Uno is so underrated!! Solid match with hangman, dark order does nothing for me as singles competitors if I’m being honest, but love them as a collective. Agree that Omega needs to remain off commentary, it’s not advancing his feud with Hangman. There’s no need for him to be out there since he doesn’t care about him anymore either.

- Young Bucks heel turn doesn’t work for me at all, but FTR taking the piss out of their heel turn has been hilarious. Last week when Young Bucks super kicked the ref before their opener match, they just laughed it off and mocked them, “awh, are you guys having a bad day?” Hahaha that was brilliant. It’s a silly heel turn, but hey, they’re getting me to laugh out of it. This segment with Tony was no different, Tony is the best!!!

- Got another laugh with Jericho’s “first off, happy birthday Matt, no one gives a sh*t” it does feel Jericho is in a step down but rather have him focus on the tag division with Hager again, they could have a fun feud for the titles against FTR

So yeah, I just had a lot of laughs during this episode and that’s a win for me. I was entertained, I didn’t need a super serious episode. This one did it for me and I’m happy with it tbh

Thank you Clutch0z24
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1058 » by Ruzious » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:49 pm

AEW has improved the talent in their roster, but so much of their program features indy level talent - I think they should cut back on that. MJF is the most entertaining asset in pro rassling, imo. But Kingston doesn't do it for me - he comes across as too desperate to be taken seriously.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#1059 » by Flames24Rulz » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:01 pm

Dominater wrote:
Amare_1_Knicks wrote:
Dominater wrote:Yea Omega needs to stick to wrestling. He's not CM Punk or MVP that can kill it at the commentators table as well as the ring.

Yea Jericho has sorta gone from Le Champion to Le bum slayer. I mean I get it, guys should cycle in and out of the main event picture. But he does need a high profile feud and MJF is perfect

I don't want them to feud yet, tbh. I'd rather Jericho help MJF in a way similar to how he helped KO a few years ago. Both of them are as entertaining now as Jericho & KO were back in 2016. Jericho can elevate MJF to a title, and then eventually after a long title run for MJF, they can feud over the title and Jericho can have his first AEW face run. I'd like that much more than having them feud immediately.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant

Post#1060 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:24 pm

I’m a little underwhelmed with Eddie Kingston. He’ll always be limited because he doesn’t have a good look and he’s not a particularly good talent/wrestler. He has a weird physique — a noticeable distended beer belly, no discernible muscle tone whatsoever — I mean, he just doesn’t look like an athlete at all. His gear is decent, I guess it looks a little sloppy.

Anyway, not to rag on him or put him down or anything — he’s a very good mouthpiece. But I think it stops there. Also, it’s just a weird, motley crew of guys that he’s managing or teaming with or whatever. No cohesion, they look weird together and these five aligning doesn’t do anything for anyone (if anything, I feel like the Lucha Bros have been downgraded here).

Lastly, I just want to say that if Jack Evans and Angelico are available then they should 110% take the place of Sonny and Janela. A much more presentable team — both can work, talk a little, and the fans actually care about them. There’s definitely some redeeming qualities there and they’re actually a team without all the unnecessary histrionics of Kiss/Janela that I don’t think ANYONE is asking for.

Return to Pro Wrestling