All Elite Wrestling - Discussion

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: All Elite Wrestling - Discussion 

Post#1081 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:00 pm

Amare_1_Knicks wrote:I love Team Taz, and Taz as a mouth piece in general. They need to be on Dynamite EVERY week.

That being said, I feel like this Darby vs Starks feud has gone on for far too long. Not that I mind watching them interact/wrestle.

At first I was kind of cringing at the Debonair Dinner segment with MJF/Chris, especially when they started singing. As it went on though, I found it entertaining and for the first time I was seeing MJF’s potential as a celebrity level star. To me, that was a extra layer of performer/entertainer/versatility that I wasn’t expecting from him.

A singing, dancing backstage segment is hard to pull of but I think they nailed it.

Gotta agree with you on Darby/Starks. I admire their efforts (Darby's more than Starks'), but both are just Indy level talents that don't interest me.

I like their show overall.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#1082 » by jakecronus8 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:48 pm

Dear god. Between this and the Matt Hardy concussion and hard way bitches, my lord. Bunch of carnies.

Warning: cringey to watch.

Read on Twitter
Do it for Chuck
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1083 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:27 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Dear god. Between this and the Matt Hardy concussion and hard way bitches, my lord. Bunch of carnies.

Read on Twitter

Wow, that looks really bad. Hard to understand why the ref didn't temporarily stop the match to get him out of there. With this not being an isolated incident, it seems that AEW needs to reassess what they're trying to do and how they train people.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#1084 » by jakecronus8 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:37 pm

Ruzious wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:Dear god. Between this and the Matt Hardy concussion and hard way bitches, my lord. Bunch of carnies.

Read on Twitter

Wow, that looks really bad. Hard to understand why the ref didn't temporarily stop the match to get him out of there. With this not being an isolated incident, it seems that AEW needs to reassess what they're trying to do and how they train people.

Even more weird was all the other wrestlers first not realizing, then just ignoring the fact that he was out. As a wrestler, the first and most important thing they teach you is that your number one priority is the safety of your dance partner.
Do it for Chuck
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1085 » by Ruzious » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:52 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Read on Twitter

Even more weird was all the other wrestlers first not realizing, then just ignoring the fact that he was out. As a wrestler, the first and most important thing they teach you is that your number one priority is the safety of your dance partner.

I think they're expecting the ref to make the call, but you're right. It appeared that each rassler was too focused on getting their spots in.
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#1086 » by JohnPferdelack » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:49 pm

Great episode!
Only two Dynamite-episodes left till Full Gear, it will be certainly a much better ppv than DoN. Cain't wait!
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#1087 » by Stanford » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:40 am

That steak order bit was real-deal funny.
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach

Post#1088 » by JohnPferdelack » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:43 am

The Cleaner is back!
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,295

Post#1089 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Mon Nov 2, 2020 4:52 pm

When AEW first started I was open to the idea of The Young Bucks and Omega being considered big names/stars but the way they’ve been presented in the first year has had me sour on them.

The Bucks can’t cut a promo — like at all. It’s terrible anytime they try to do any backstage segment or interview or anything. And then there’s the size/look of them — I don’t think it works on national TV. They’re undersized, and anytime they’re not in wrestling gear they look like regular schmo’s off the street (same can be said about Omega).

They were considered one of, if not THE best tag team in the world, and I just don’t see it. The USO’s are clearly a better all around tag team, but they don’t get the credit they deserve.
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach

Post#1090 » by JohnPferdelack » Wed Nov 4, 2020 4:15 am

Is it better to create an own "Full-Gear-Thread" for the upcoming ppv, isn't it? (like for wwe-ppvs)
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1091 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 4, 2020 9:31 pm

Amare_1_Knicks wrote:When AEW first started I was open to the idea of The Young Bucks and Omega being considered big names/stars but the way they’ve been presented in the first year has had me sour on them.

The Bucks can’t cut a promo — like at all. It’s terrible anytime they try to do any backstage segment or interview or anything. And then there’s the size/look of them — I don’t think it works on national TV. They’re undersized, and anytime they’re not in wrestling gear they look like regular schmo’s off the street (same can be said about Omega).

They were considered one of, if not THE best tag team in the world, and I just don’t see it. The USO’s are clearly a better all around tag team, but they don’t get the credit they deserve.

I see it differently. I mean, the Usos aren't particularly big or muscular looking themselves. Neither is FTR, btw - they're very short. The Young Bucks look is sort of in the mold of The Rock N Roll Express - one of the greatest tag teams in history - and it works for their style of rastling. Besides, they've gotten in much better shape over the years. And Omega's just fine for this era - and also in terrific shape. I don't think the Bucks out of ring segments are great, but they're always somewhat entertaining without being over-the-top silly. Should they do less choreographed-looking stuff? Yes, but they're still among the best in the world, imo. Letting them have the titles every once in a while might help.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#1092 » by improper » Wed Nov 4, 2020 11:40 pm

Ruzious wrote:I see it differently. I mean, the Usos aren't particularly big or muscular looking themselves. Neither is FTR, btw - they're very short. The Young Bucks look is sort of in the mold of The Rock N Roll Express - one of the greatest tag teams in history - and it works for their style of rastling. Besides, they've gotten in much better shape over the years. And Omega's just fine for this era - and also in terrific shape. I don't think the Bucks out of ring segments are great, but they're always somewhat entertaining without being over-the-top silly. Should they do less choreographed-looking stuff? Yes, but they're still among the best in the world, imo. Letting them have the titles every once in a while might help.

If DIY were still around, they've have my vote for best tag team. Wish they'd give us a heel DIY run in NXT now that Gargano has turned. Give Ciampa the NXT title and have them do a two man power trip run.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant

Post#1093 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Wed Nov 4, 2020 11:43 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Amare_1_Knicks wrote:When AEW first started I was open to the idea of The Young Bucks and Omega being considered big names/stars but the way they’ve been presented in the first year has had me sour on them.

I see it differently. I mean, the Usos aren't particularly big or muscular looking themselves. Neither is FTR, btw - they're very short. The Young Bucks look is sort of in the mold of The Rock N Roll Express - one of the greatest tag teams in history - and it works for their style of rastling. Besides, they've gotten in much better shape over the years. And Omega's just fine for this era - and also in terrific shape. I don't think the Bucks out of ring segments are great, but they're always somewhat entertaining without being over-the-top silly. Should they do less choreographed-looking stuff? Yes, but they're still among the best in the world, imo. Letting them have the titles every once in a while might help.

Both Bucks are about 5’10, 175lbs a piece. The Usos are about 6’2, 220-230lbs a piece. There’s actually an enormous size difference there. That’s a fair point about FTR not being huge guys, but they give off a surly and burly, rugged believability that the Bucks don’t. They’re also closer to 215-225lbs, so they don’t look un-intimidating despite not being tall guys.

I like Omega and think he has a solid look. My only gripe(s) with him are his promos and his casual attire when he doesn’t have his ring gear on.

I probably went too far with the “what they do/how they look doesn’t work on national tv,” comment. For what they do, they’re polished — I just think they’re far from a complete package and were generally overrated going into the creation of AEW.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1094 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 4, 2020 11:56 pm

Amare_1_Knicks wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Both Bucks are about 5’10, 175lbs a piece. The Usos are about 6’2, 220-230lbs a piece. There’s actually an enormous size difference there. That’s a fair point about FTR not being huge guys, but they give off a surly and burly, rugged believability that the Bucks don’t. They’re also closer to 215-225lbs, so they don’t look un-intimidating despite not being tall guys.

I like Omega and think he has a solid look. My only gripe(s) with him are his promos and his casual attire when he doesn’t have his ring gear on.

I probably went too far with the “what they do/how they look doesn’t work on national tv,” comment. For what they do, they’re polished — I just think they’re far from a complete package and were generally overrated going into the creation of AEW.

And that's fair. There's certainly a wide variety of opinions on the Young Bucks. I'm a huge fan of their's. And I'm one who doesn't like having lots of small guys who look like grocery clerks in a wrestling company, but they are so far ahead of most of the others, and I think they do look the part of stars - They didn't when I first saw them on TNA years ago - but they've changed since then. I think that entire Bullet Club group of Americans tremendously benefited from their time in Japan - both as far as being in-ring performers and in getting in great shape.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,555

Post#1095 » by Dominator83 » Thu Nov 5, 2020 4:45 am

Ruzious wrote:

I think in the case of Omega, he would look so much better just by having his NJPW entrance. Entrances and music make a huge impact on a guy. And Omega having generic entrance makes him look more generic imo
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant

Post#1096 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Thu Nov 5, 2020 3:31 pm

I liked the Moxley/Kingston promo. It was serious, it was believable and they both delivered their promos with great rhetoric.

I think the backstory between the two could’ve been touched on more though. Some vignettes showing them together in the indy’s (I can’t imagine it would be too difficult to get that footage). But overall, it’s definitely been a solid story with some good interactions and promos. For me, it kind of falls flat knowing that their match isn’t going to deliver. I don’t like Kingston in the ring, and he’s obviously not going to win the title. Also, I don’t know his win-loss record, but I do know that he hasn’t beaten anyone of note.

I don’t really get Cody’s character at this point. It’s not even like he’s a tweener — it’s just, one week he’s face, the next he’s heel with no real explanation as to why he’s alternating.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#1097 » by improper » Fri Nov 6, 2020 1:22 am

I agree the Bucks don't have a great look, but man they put on some bangers.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1098 » by Ruzious » Fri Nov 6, 2020 1:21 pm

Going back to MJF... why is he developing into one of the top stars in pro rasslin at age 24, while EC3 (who had a similar gimmick) is going from organization to organization (now at ROH) at age 37. EC3 is a bigger guy with a better look and far more experience - and clearly a talented guy. Tbh, I'd love to see EC3 at some point join AEW and have a series with EC3. Imagine them as a tag team.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant

Post#1099 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Fri Nov 6, 2020 10:26 pm

Ruzious wrote:Going back to MJF... why is he developing into one of the top stars in pro rasslin at age 24, while EC3 (who had a similar gimmick) is going from organization to organization (now at ROH) at age 37. EC3 is a bigger guy with a better look and far more experience - and clearly a talented guy. Tbh, I'd love to see EC3 at some point join AEW and have a series with EC3. Imagine them as a tag team.

I agree. I think there are some definite parallels between MJF and EC3. I’m surprised AEW hasn’t picked up on him (maybe he didn’t want to go ?) considering he has a great look, is a good worker from what I’ve seen, and can deliver some quality promos with believability.

I just think they need more guys that look like believable pro wrestlers, that can also be in and around the main event picture and that don’t want everything to be silly/jokey. I think he’d fit that bill nicely.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant

Post#1100 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Sat Nov 7, 2020 2:21 am

Cody said “Full Gear 2020 may define AEW.” He went on to put over the card, saying that they had some big matchups on there that should garner interest from current fans and perhaps bring in new fans.

However, a part of me can’t help but wonder if it’s a (not so) subtle hint at a big name debuting at the PPV.

Return to Pro Wrestling