All Elite Wrestling - Discussion

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Re: All Elite Wrestling - Discussion 

Post#1821 » by Pharaoh » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:05 am

As pivotal as Cody was to forming AEW he's no longer required.

No one wants to say it but he just isn't that main event kind of guy and really has never been that.

When you've got Omega & Cole not t mention Punk, Danielson & Moxley AND are purposefully building MJF, Darby, Page and Jungle Boy...

Cody Rhodes is not seeing that main event spot any time soon and does not deserve it either!

Didn't even mention Christian who you can push whenever you choose.

IF Cody was getting 3 mil per then he should be grateful and go see Vince, get his hot 6 months before the mid card awaits.

Personally think he's actually smart af and he's done the jump to secure his own family's legacy more than anything else.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM Forums mobile app
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,550

Post#1822 » by Dominator83 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:10 am

Pharaoh wrote:As pivotal as Cody was to forming AEW he's no longer required.

No one wants to say it but he just isn't that main event kind of guy and really has never been that.

When you've got Omega & Cole not t mention Punk, Danielson & Moxley AND are purposefully building MJF, Darby, Page and Jungle Boy...

Cody Rhodes is not seeing that main event spot any time soon and does not deserve it either!

IF Cody was getting 3 mil per then he should be grateful and go see Vince, get his hot 6 months before the mid card awaits.

Personally think he's actually smart af and he's done the jump to secure his own family's legacy more than anything else.

It's a catch-22. On one hand, he deserves top pay because he's the one that started the company. On the other hand , he's definitely more mid-card as opposed to main event.

But of course, being that he started the company, he made himself worth a lot more money to Vince as well. So it's kind of a win-win for him.
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#1823 » by Pharaoh » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:40 am

Dominater wrote:

It's a catch-22. On one hand, he deserves top pay because he's the one that started the company. On the other hand , he's definitely more mid-card as opposed to main event.

But of course, being that he started the company, he made himself worth a lot more money to Vince as well. So it's kind of a win-win for him.
He helped start the company but without Omega, Bucks, Page and Jericho they don't launch it the way they did.

Cody was at best #3 on the podium with the plan always being Page was going to rise above him, Omega and Jericho on the totem pole so in reality it was known the day they launched he was #4 at best.

One man does not make a company.

Dominator83
RealGM

Post#1824 » by Dominator83 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:51 am

Pharaoh wrote:
Dominater wrote:

He helped start the company but without Omega, Bucks, Page and Jericho they don't launch it the way they did.

Cody was at best #3 on the podium with the plan always being Page was going to rise above him, Omega and Jericho on the totem pole so in reality it was known the day they launched he was #4 at best.

What I mean is, his famous 4 words of "I'll take that bet" is what started this whole thing. Without those 4 words there would be no AEW.

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1825 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:07 pm

Dominater wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
Dominater wrote:It's a catch-22. On one hand, he deserves top pay because he's the one that started the company. On the other hand , he's definitely more mid-card as opposed to main event.

What I mean is, his famous 4 words of "I'll take that bet" is what started this whole thing. Without those 4 words there would be no AEW.

He's been the clear face of the place from Day 1 to every single day of AEW's existence. That trumped everything else. It almost doesn't matter that he's not as good a performer as a lot of the other guys - though he was at least believable as a champion in AEW.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#1826 » by Dominator83 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:09 am

Ruzious wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:
Dominater wrote:Is there a better women's wrestler in the world than Jade Cargill?
Aska, banks, flair, Becky, Ripley, io, hikaru, Jordan grace, Micky James, Britt, thunder roasa, pirazo, Mandy.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app

Jade's not even close to them, tbh, though she seems to have potential.

Yea I should probably have said is there any women's wrestler more polarizing/over right now? AEW is booking her like NXT Asuka, and she looks and play the part well. But yea I forgot about Purrazzo. None of the WWE women apply right now because WWE isn't booking anyone that way. Seems like that whole roster (both men and women) are almost all 50/50 booking these days. Nobody gets over as a dominant character that way. And Cargill is dominant.

gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1827 » by gambitx777 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:21 am

Dominater wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Aska, banks, flair, Becky, Ripley, io, hikaru, Jordan grace, Micky James, Britt, thunder roasa, pirazo, Mandy.

Jade's not even close to them, tbh, though she seems to have potential.

Yea I should probably have said is there any women's wrestler more polarizing/over right now? AEW is booking her like NXT Asuka, and she looks and play the part well. But yea I forgot about Purrazzo. None of the WWE women apply right now because WWE isn't booking anyone that way. Seems like that whole roster (both men and women) are almost all 50/50 booking these days. Nobody gets over as a dominant character that way. And Cargill is dominant.
Being book dominant isn't the same as being over.

Most of WWEs main event ladies are absolutely more over than jade. Jades not even the most over woman in AEW. She's great and she could be a legit Goldberg. But she's not there yet.

tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#1828 » by tugs » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:13 am

AEW is too stacked right now. Cody as a performer doesn't have a place, really. Now as creative, I read somewhere that there were differences with his direction, with Omega's, with the Bucks', with Tony's. There's just too many cooks in the kitchen

Imagine those who hasn't been featured for so long like Cage and Miro. AEW is great with establishing and ending storylines. Problem is, they don't have anything for the wrestlers after that
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#1829 » by iMoreland » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:18 pm

I like Adam Cole but after his absurd run in NXT I really don't want to see him in any world title picture anymore
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1830 » by gambitx777 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:54 pm

iMoreland wrote:I like Adam Cole but after his absurd run in NXT I really don't want to see him in any world title picture anymore
I'm more interested in the story with the love pentagram between him , re dragon and silvers and Reynolds they got going on with BTE that I am him in the tittle scene.

WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#1831 » by WRau1 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:16 am

AEW was pretty much built around Cody's first few feuds. That DON 2019 PPV with Cody v Dustin, then Cody's program with Jericho and then finally with MJF. Cody hasn't done a whole lot since then but AEW definitely hit the ground running in large part to those programs.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1832 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:34 pm

iMoreland wrote:I like Adam Cole but after his absurd run in NXT I really don't want to see him in any world title picture anymore

To each his own, but NXT was arguably the best and most entertaining wrestling product when he was there, and he was generally their number 1 performer/attraction. Not to mention, McAfee probably wouldn't be in the WWE if not for him - though some might think that's a negative. :)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1833 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:07 am

My God, MJF... he could read a telephone book and turn it into a compelling pro wrestling promo. Holy bleep, he's good.
Lord Eder
General Manager
And1: 16,625

Post#1834 » by Lord Eder » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:07 am

God Damn what a show. 2 weeks out and I’m stoked for Revolution.
"Jerome Moiso with 2 rebounds and a steal.... Put him in the hall of fame!"
- Chuck Swirsky
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#1835 » by Dominator83 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:38 am

Ruzious wrote:My God, MJF... he could read a telephone book and turn it into a compelling pro wrestling promo. Holy bleep, he's good.

Gotta wonder where they go with that. I highly doubt we see a face turn. Would be cool though to see sort of a double turn where Punk wins with an assist from Wardlow turning.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1836 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:53 am

The one thing to criticize is the women's match was awful. I would hate to have to wrestle Jade Cargill. Her opponent has to do all the work and look bad in order to make Jade look good. She hardly moves out there and can't have a match with someone who can't control and call the match. Maybe that changes at some point down the line, but it's a joke that she's 28-0.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1837 » by gambitx777 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:26 am

Ruzious wrote:The one thing to criticize is the women's match was awful. I would hate to have to wrestle Jade Cargill. Her opponent has to do all the work and look bad in order to make Jade look good. She hardly moves out there and can't have a match with someone who can't control and call the match. Maybe that changes at some point down the line, but it's a joke that she's 28-0.
I mean if they are gonna treat her like early goldburg then she might as well get it hoenst. I just hope she doesn't cause a Brett heart incident ....

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,036

Post#1838 » by daoneandonly » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:16 pm

Excellent show. Buddy joining the House of Black makes them a top notch faction. The MJF promo was as great as others here have said, the interesting part is where you go from here?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1839 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:48 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Excellent show. Buddy joining the House of Black makes them a top notch faction. The MJF promo was as great as others here have said, the interesting part is where you go from here?

One way or another, MJF is going to use that promo to beat Punk. I can't see them turning MJF face. I'm not sure if this affects Wardlow - gotta figure at some point he finally turns against MJF, but I'm guessing this probably slows down that process. I can't get enough of these promos between Punk and MJF. They have the crowds in the palms of their hands. MJF is like a cross between Andy Kaufman and Jerry Lawler - with the best characteristics of both.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,036

Post#1840 » by daoneandonly » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:56 pm

Ruzious wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Excellent show. Buddy joining the House of Black makes them a top notch faction. The MJF promo was as great as others here have said, the interesting part is where you go from here?

One way or another, MJF is going to use that promo to beat Punk. I can't see them turning MJF face. I'm not sure if this affects Wardlow - gotta figure at some point he finally turns against MJF, but I'm guessing this probably slows down that process. I can't get enough of these promos between Punk and MJF. They have the crowds in the palms of their hands. MJF is like a cross between Andy Kaufman and Jerry Lawler - with the best characteristics of both.

He really is and I think he's the guy that should eventually take the title off Hangman (if not Black). No way they can turn him face, I think like you said he'll use it to some how beat Punk. But the big money angle sis till the Wardlow face turn by beating up MJF like Batista-Triple H back in the day

Return to Pro Wrestling