All Elite Wrestling - Discussion

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,174

Re: All Elite Wrestling - Discussion 

Post#41 » by LLJ » Mon Jan 7, 2019 11:08 pm

I like Almas a lot, his ring work is spectacular, but I do think he's less charismatic than people hope he can be and thus he needs a lot of help to get over. As far as those people with language issues, Nakamura still has a higher ceiling than Almas in the WWE because Nakamura is undoubtedly charismatic and still gets good reactions even with poor booking. Almas had issues getting over even on NXT, which was already something of a red flag--almost everyone who's got remotely any star appeal gets over on NXT pretty easily. Nakamura and Asuka were already super over on NXT from day 1.

I think it's preposterous Sami Zayn hasn't gotten an IC title or US title run yet, but I don't think he's a world champ or anything.

I think Rusev is good enough to be a transitional-type world champ, but he needs a few more years. Cesaro does deserve a big singles run IMO.

AEW's moves should be interesting. We will see how much buying power they have in the next few months.

I think Omega ultimately stays in NJPW btw.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,359

Post#42 » by Dominator83 » Mon Jan 7, 2019 11:13 pm

WRau1 wrote:I think the WWE ends up with Omega.

i kinda doubt that. Omega has always been pretty outspoken about hating the WWE and their watered down style of wrestling.

But on the other hand, in the words of Ted Debiase: Everybodys got a price. So never say never i suppose
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,604

Post#43 » by Scott Hall » Tue Jan 8, 2019 1:22 am

LLJ wrote:I like Almas a lot, his ring work is spectacular, but I do think he's less charismatic than people hope he can be and thus he needs a lot of help to get over. As far as those people with language issues, Nakamura still has a higher ceiling than Almas in the WWE because Nakamura is undoubtedly charismatic and still gets good reactions even with poor booking. Almas had issues getting over even on NXT, which was already something of a red flag--almost everyone who's got remotely any star appeal gets over on NXT pretty easily. Nakamura and Asuka were already super over on NXT from day 1.

I think it's preposterous Sami Zayn hasn't gotten an IC title or US title run yet, but I don't think he's a world champ or anything.

I think Rusev is good enough to be a transitional-type world champ, but he needs a few more years. Cesaro does deserve a big singles run IMO.

AEW's moves should be interesting. We will see how much buying power they have in the next few months.

He announced yesterday he's leaving NJPW his contract expires Jan 31st... Kushida is also leaving NJPW as well
it appears he's going to WWE by what he said.
LLJ
RealGM

Post#44 » by LLJ » Tue Jan 8, 2019 1:43 am

Scott Hall wrote:
He announced yesterday he's leaving NJPW his contract expires Jan 31st... Kushida is also leaving NJPW as well

Omega has done this before. I'd wait a little bit before concluding this.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#45 » by improper » Tue Jan 8, 2019 3:09 am

LLJ wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:

I still think there's a pretty good chance that it's a work.

If he were going to WWE, I'd think they'd want to make it a surprise like they did with AJ Styles. I also think that, if his contract expired January 31st and he were leaving, there's no reason NJPW wouldn't have had him show up for New Year's Dash. He's under contract. Why wouldn't you have him wrestle? His absence coupled with the WWE rumors has me either thinking it's a NJPW work and he'll be back with them or it's a swerve and he's going to AEW.
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#46 » by Scott Hall » Tue Jan 8, 2019 3:56 am

LLJ wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:

It was reported by the Tokyo news which I believe is a legit news source.... NJPWs pockets aren't
deep enough to compete with Vince and Khan anyways.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#47 » by WRau1 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 3:56 am

I think NJPW not working with AEW was worse case for Omega, as far as having his cake and eatting it too. I think he takes a 3yr mega deal for the WWE and assesses his options after that. There's so many dream programs waiting for him in the WWE, I hope that's where he ends up.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#48 » by Spens1 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 4:06 am

Scott Hall wrote:
LLJ wrote:I like Almas a lot, his ring work is spectacular, but I do think he's less charismatic than people hope he can be and thus he needs a lot of help to get over. As far as those people with language issues, Nakamura still has a higher ceiling than Almas in the WWE because Nakamura is undoubtedly charismatic and still gets good reactions even with poor booking. Almas had issues getting over even on NXT, which was already something of a red flag--almost everyone who's got remotely any star appeal gets over on NXT pretty easily. Nakamura and Asuka were already super over on NXT from day 1.

Kushida is going to WWE, HHH is a huge fan of him and probably means he gets pushed in a non 205 role (which is good, Ricochet is getting a singles push that he never would have gotten in New Japan cause of his small size, same seems to apply for Kushida).
Spens1
RealGM

Post#49 » by Spens1 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 4:19 am

Scott Hall wrote:
LLJ wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:

It was reported by the Tokyo news which I believe is a legit news source.... NJPWs pockets aren't

He's leaving 'for now'. Now it very well could be a case where he's going to AEW or WWE (like i said though, going to WWE now, with Vince still in charge would be the biggest waste of talent).

My guess is he's going to take a break from wrestling altogether for the next few months. AEW doesn't have anything concrete right now and most importantly, no TV, however if it wants to succeed, they're going to need Omega.

Also New Japan is (probably) taking the wait and see approach with AEW right now, since they have the MSG show with ROH in April, after that its fair game. Sure they may stick with ROH but i have a feeling if AEW gets a good TV deal (and with the Khan's, i'd say that's likely, someone will want a stake of that wrestling pie after all if they can prove they have money behind them and the Khan's are richer than Vince and willing to spend it). New Japan have all the power in that ROH relationship because with New Japan, ROH are stuffed (basically all their drawing power is because of that relationship).

That is where Omega i think will come in, he'll do AEW and New Japan and finish off the main storylines left there (Tanahashi and that Ibushi singles match/series).
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#50 » by Scott Hall » Tue Jan 8, 2019 4:51 am

Spens1 wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
LLJ wrote:

He's leaving 'for now'. Now it very well could be a case where he's going to AEW or WWE (like i said though, going to WWE now, with Vince still in charge would be the biggest waste of talent).

My guess is he's going to take a break from wrestling altogether for the next few months. AEW doesn't have anything concrete right now and most importantly, no TV, however if it wants to succeed, they're going to need Omega.

Also New Japan is (probably) taking the wait and see approach with AEW right now, since they have the MSG show with ROH in April, after that its fair game. Sure they may stick with ROH but i have a feeling if AEW gets a good TV deal (and with the Khan's, i'd say that's likely, someone will want a stake of that wrestling pie after all if they can prove they have money behind them and the Khan's are richer than Vince and willing to spend it). New Japan have all the power in that ROH relationship because with New Japan, ROH are stuffed (basically all their drawing power is because of that relationship).

That is where Omega i think will come in, he'll do AEW and New Japan and finish off the main storylines left there (Tanahashi and that Ibushi singles match/series).

I think WWE is a good option... and his value just increases more as WWE wants him just for him to stay away from there. Still the company is an unknown it could be a massive flop for all we know. Their roster initially will be full of guys he's already wrestled a thousand times. WWE is still considered the "big leagues" going their rises his portfolio x 10. Having it on his resume is a big deal. He should get some of that Fox/Saudi Arabia money let AEW get off the ground and up and running make a bigger name for himself then when his contract is up and he deflects to AEW he's that much bigger of a star and helps out his friends at AEW.

As for NJPW he's pretty much wrestled everyone there and there isn't much left for him to accomplish. If there is gonna
be a bidding war for his services between 2 billionaires there is no point in him staying in a smaller promotion.

Now if AEW has a working relationship with NJPW and I have a feeling they eventually will then it's all gravy.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#51 » by Spens1 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 5:19 am

Scott Hall wrote:
Spens1 wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:

I think WWE is a good option... and his value just increases more as WWE wants him just for him to stay away from there. Still the company is an unknown it could be a massive flop for all we know. Their roster initially will be full of guys he's already wrestled a thousand times. WWE is still considered the "big leagues" going their rises his portfolio x 10. Having it on his resume is a big deal. He should get some of that Fox/Saudi Arabia money let AEW get off the ground and up and running make a bigger name for himself then when his contract is up and he deflects to AEW he's that much bigger of a star and helps out his friends at AEW.

As for NJPW he's pretty much wrestled everyone there and there isn't much left for him to accomplish. If there is gonna
be a bidding war for his services between 2 billionaires there is no point in him staying in a smaller promotion.

Now if AEW has a working relationship with NJPW and I have a feeling they eventually will then it's all gravy.

the WWE option will always be there though and the longer he can hold out, especially if AEW really does succeed, the more he can get. WWE won't stop being interested in him simply put, because he's better than anyone in the WWE right now, so he will always have value to them.

Also, WWE didn't offer any creative control (which AEW will do), now WWE are smart for it, they never should offer creative control ever again, but it will cost them Omega.

In WWE also, he will be one of a few main event guys, he will never be the guy they build around. With AEW, he will be the face of that promotion.

I'm not sure how much bigger he can be, everyone who is watching WWE now either watch other promotions already and know about him very well, or would never watch anything else but WWE in the first place so if he left, he'd get none of that audience to begin with.

For New Japan, actually he has plenty to accomplish. His feud with Tanahashi is still probably going to be a thing and he never has had his singles match with Ibushi. If he left now, his story arc is left on a massive sour note and he's probably one of the few wrestlers who would be mindful of that.

With New Japan doing a 2 night Wrestle Kingdom and Okada vs Naito the likely main event for one of the nights, its likely New Japan can offer something Omega has craved since beginning his career, main event wrestle kingdom against Kota Ibushi. No other promotion, not even WWE can offer him that and this might be the one and only chance, if the two night wrestle kingdom flops and he does come to WWE for a few years and comes back, he's never getting back into the New Japan main event because he'll be older (around 37 or 38 if he went straight back) and will have to deal with the likes of Juice Robinson, ZSJ or Ospreay who will have become that new gaijin megastar, basically put, he'll never get the Ibushi in a singles match at the main event of a wrestle kingdom card.

Its a year or two too early yet, he'll go, i just don't think he's cashing in yet. I think he's going to be like AJ, he'll come when he's done absolutely everything and he has nothing he could possibly do and their are no loose ends to tie up, he'll take the money. He doesn't have family or major ties in the U.S (he's Canadian for one, and has Japanese citizenship and has lived there full time for 10 years, leaving Japan would mean he's actually uprooting to move to a completely new country).
Spens1
RealGM

Post#52 » by Spens1 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 5:26 am

Hell, inbetween contracts i wouldn't be shocked if Omega turns up at DDT in truth, that's 'home' for him, he'll do some matches there and some appearances. He's dealing with niggling injuries (why he took off time at the end of last year, which pissed off fans at the time, myself included tbh) so now would be the ideal time to take it easy (no storyline, no championship, no contract).
Scott Hall
RealGM

Post#53 » by Scott Hall » Tue Jan 8, 2019 5:49 am

Spens1 wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Spens1 wrote:

the WWE option will always be there though and the longer he can hold out, especially if AEW really does succeed, the more he can get. WWE won't stop being interested in him simply put, because he's better than anyone in the WWE right now, so he will always have value to them.

Also, WWE didn't offer any creative control (which AEW will do), now WWE are smart for it, they never should offer creative control ever again, but it will cost them Omega.

In WWE also, he will be one of a few main event guys, he will never be the guy they build around. With AEW, he will be the face of that promotion.

I'm not sure how much bigger he can be, everyone who is watching WWE now either watch other promotions already and know about him very well, or would never watch anything else but WWE in the first place so if he left, he'd get none of that audience to begin with.

For New Japan, actually he has plenty to accomplish. His feud with Tanahashi is still probably going to be a thing and he never has had his singles match with Ibushi. If he left now, his story arc is left on a massive sour note and he's probably one of the few wrestlers who would be mindful of that.

With New Japan doing a 2 night Wrestle Kingdom and Okada vs Naito the likely main event for one of the nights, its likely New Japan can offer something Omega has craved since beginning his career, main event wrestle kingdom against Kota Ibushi. No other promotion, not even WWE can offer him that and this might be the one and only chance, if the two night wrestle kingdom flops and he does come to WWE for a few years and comes back, he's never getting back into the New Japan main event because he'll be older (around 37 or 38 if he went straight back) and will have to deal with the likes of Juice Robinson, ZSJ or Ospreay who will have become that new gaijin megastar, basically put, he'll never get the Ibushi in a singles match at the main event of a wrestle kingdom card.

Its a year or two too early yet, he'll go, i just don't think he's cashing in yet. I think he's going to be like AJ, he'll come when he's done absolutely everything and he has nothing he could possibly do and their are no loose ends to tie up, he'll take the money. He doesn't have family or major ties in the U.S (he's Canadian for one, and has Japanese citizenship and has lived there full time for 10 years, leaving Japan would mean he's actually uprooting to move to a completely new country).

If there was Vegas odds on him returning to NJPW instead of WWE or AEW they'd be around 100-1 if not higher
it's already been reported by reputable sources and he's announced it himself. Who knows maybe he goes back
there one day or AEW has a working relationship with them but right now it makes zero sense and Jericho and his
buddies would slap him across the head.

He's the hottest commodity in the business right now in his prime. He's one bad bump away from being the next
Paige or Edge then his value is next to nil.

WWE is on Global TV and tours the world... AEW doesn't even have an American TV deal right now. WWE stars
get recognition from TMZ, ESPN, late night talk shows and have connections to Hollywood.

If WWE is paying him Brock/Ronda money or close to it they would be insane to not have him in the main event picture.
Even if for whatever reason Vince soured on him or didn't get his "appeal" they're almost forced to keep him strong because
he'd got to AEW in a heart beat and it'd be a massive star for them who would then have a WWE following.

As for AEW they gotta get a production team and production trucks, and lawyers and a medical team etc etc.
I have no idea how far they are in that process. I think they gotta offer Omega a high ranking job in the company
and match the WWEs offer.

If he rejects them now when they're desperate you never know how they would react. They're still bitter James Storm
blew them off and went back to TNA. If he comes when he's in his 40's his value will be a lot less then now.

He grew up like most kids wanting to wrestle at Wrestlemania, the Royal Rumble etc and he also has friends
in the company so really this is the best and most logical time for him to have his WWE "run" as AEW and NJPW
will always be there.

Lebron left his home townish team to go to the Lakers for similar reasons. When you're (arguably) the
biggest star in your industry you need to be paid like one while your max potential earning is at it's highest
and that window is still open for a bit.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#54 » by Spens1 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 8:10 am

WWE is not offering creative though and if he goes to WWE and Vince decides he's a midcarder (which could happen cause when ain't Roman) then all that hard work building himself up is done. No creative at all I think means WWE has sold themselves out.

Also if he was coming, he's get a big sendoff like Kushida is (big fairwell match against tanahashi). Omega would have a final match or would have been written off, not radio silence (anytime someone went to WWE from new Japan there was an angle or sendoff of some kind).

Besides, what would he do, wrestle ziggler? WWE fills me with no confidence, there has been into one success story coming over and that's aj, everyone else flopped because creative are absolutely useless. The company needs to spend more time developing the stacked roster they have than raiding everywhere else. Though I feel I'm preaching to a choir on that one. They have Matt riddle, make him the face of smackdown alongside aj and Bryan.

Also WWE are more like the Knicks, make money despite putting out a horrible product, owner is an egomaniac, biggest name in their respective sport regardless.

Also note, aew have their rally thing at 5pm EST. So he may be unveiled there, ain't no one building a promotion around Cody as their singles star.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#55 » by Spens1 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 8:16 am

improper wrote:
LLJ wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:

I still think there's a pretty good chance that it's a work.

If he were going to WWE, I'd think they'd want to make it a surprise like they did with AJ Styles. I also think that, if his contract expired January 31st and he were leaving, there's no reason NJPW wouldn't have had him show up for New Year's Dash. He's under contract. Why wouldn't you have him wrestle? His absence coupled with the WWE rumors has me either thinking it's a NJPW work and he'll be back with them or it's a swerve and he's going to AEW.

I think this is the biggest one, they would have had omega come out and cut a fairwell promo before white and bullet club destroy him and write him off for good like they did styles.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#56 » by Spens1 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 10:43 am

Per Kota Ibushi's twitter (translation/explanation via Chris Charlton):

Ibushi apologizes for taking time off. He is fine. He thanks the referee for quickly thinking and acting when he himself was unable to. He thanks Ospreay for coming at him full force. Again, he’s fine but concussions being what they are, he needs some time. He’ll 100% be back.

Pretty much confirming no Kota Ibushi for AEW, which is a blow for them but if he finally puts pen to paper to that New Japan contract, he's getting pushed to the moon.

edit: Per Wrestling Observer and Meltzer. Apparently Omega to WWE is not happening

“WWE really wanted him, and it’s not gonna happen”

It wasn't the right time like i said. Also they went from 'not working with AEW' to it actually happening if it means they can keep Omega (then again i figured as much, he's a top guy along with Okada and Naito, they'll move heaven and earth to keep them).

despite the money and sponsorship deal (which was damn good, reports saying anywhere between 3.5mill - 5 mill per year for 5 years, not including the fact he would get merch AND sponsors), they didn't give him any creative clauses (which is standard). AEW have probably tabled an offer we haven't seen since WCW (Massive money + creative control), plus New Japan will probably pay for some of it.

Like Scott Hall said though, the AEW-NJPW relationship was key here and ultimately New Japan want to keep their star man happy.

Jericho also apparently wants to stay if a deal can be made, so that's a further indication that they'll do the match (apparently they want Jericho vs Tanahashi. They can do the match after Tana drops the belt, please).

I will add though, nothing is set in stone though, Vince could have a fit and actually give him Cena/Lesnar money tomorrow to sign.
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#57 » by JohnPferdelack » Tue Jan 8, 2019 4:04 pm

What should this "Double or nothing" suppose to be? A sort of PPV?
LLJ
RealGM

Post#58 » by LLJ » Tue Jan 8, 2019 4:05 pm

Spens1 wrote:
Kushida is going to WWE, HHH is a huge fan of him and probably means he gets pushed in a non 205 role (which is good, Ricochet is getting a singles push that he never would have gotten in New Japan cause of his small size, same seems to apply for Kushida).

HHH was a big fan of KENTA before all that's happened too. I honestly think Itami was destined for better before all the injury problems.

As for Omega, I'll say this: there's a reason why most of the indie/Japan stars in the WWE right now are pretty old. WWE isn't where people go in their primes anymore. It's where people go to retire and fill up their bank account.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#59 » by WRau1 » Tue Jan 8, 2019 6:39 pm

LLJ wrote:
Spens1 wrote:

HHH was a big fan of KENTA before all that's happened too. I honestly think Itami was destined for better before all the injury problems.

As for Omega, I'll say this: there's a reason why most of the indie/Japan stars in the WWE right now are pretty old. WWE isn't where people go in their primes anymore. It's where people go to retire and fill up their bank account.

I would argue the reason that the bigger name indie/Japan stars are signing with WWE later in their career is because HHH just recently got more power to sign them and these are guys he's always had an eye on.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#60 » by improper » Tue Jan 8, 2019 9:07 pm

JohnPferdelack wrote:What should this "Double or nothing" suppose to be? A sort of PPV?

Pretty sure it's a sequel PPV to All In.

Return to Pro Wrestling