Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,861

Re: All Elite Wrestling - Discussion 

Post#501 » by Stanford » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:20 pm

WRau1 wrote:
NinjaBro wrote:No thanks, don't want to see any B+ players in AEW.

Well damn, AEW might be the wrong company for you.

:lol:
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#502 » by WRau1 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:21 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:I've only been watching again since 2014 but I never understood why Orton skates by so easily with the smarks. He has as much heart as Andrew Wiggins and has been my #1 5 Moves of Doom guy for years, he's basically just waiting to do his back body drop on the table, DDT off the rope and going to that place, for someone who's supposed to move around so effortlessly the rest of his matches in between his moves are slow, probably he didn't spend any time with the other wrestler planning things. He should have more moves that use his athleticism for a big man like Braun's shoulder tackle or Roman's drive by, like he had one where Ali was standing on the turnbuckle and Orton ran into him full speed and threw him off it into the barricade, and it was a great mix of size/speed that he doesn't do often. His character work is fine in my opinion especially as a heel, but I don't enjoy him wrestle at all. Like once every two years he has a match he gets up for like wrestling in front of his father at Money in the Bank or wrestling Triple H and you can see a noticeable difference.

He usually adds a move every so often. Angle Slam, Canadian Backbreaker, Exploder Suplex, Inverted Boston Crab, Sleeper Slam and I think there's been a few more.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#503 » by improper » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:22 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:I've only been watching again since 2014 but I never understood why Orton skates by so easily with the smarks. He has as much heart as Andrew Wiggins and has been my #1 5 Moves of Doom guy for years, he's basically just waiting to do his back body drop on the table, DDT off the rope and going to that place, for someone who's supposed to move around so effortlessly the rest of his matches in between his moves are slow, probably he didn't spend any time with the other wrestler planning things. He should have more moves that use his athleticism for a big man like Braun's shoulder tackle or Roman's drive by, like he had one where Ali was standing on the turnbuckle and Orton ran into him full speed and threw him off it into the barricade, and it was a great mix of size/speed that he doesn't do often. His character work is fine in my opinion especially as a heel, but I don't enjoy him wrestle at all. Like once every two years he has a match he gets up for like wrestling in front of his father at Money in the Bank or wrestling Triple H and you can see a noticeable difference.

I don't think he really skates by at all. Most of us have complained about his awful feuds the past few years, but it's so par for the course these days that I think people are just desensitized to it. Oh look, another sh*tty Orton push. Been there before. He's been largely outside of the world title picture of late, though, outside of the worst WWE feud in recent memory he had with Wyatt, and I think that helps. Plus, basically half the WWE roster has been phoning it in for years, so it's less noticeable when Orton does it these days.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#504 » by Stanford » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:14 am

Love that AEW opened the show without an intro - straight into a match. It wasn't a great match, but holy **** was it fun. I don't think Private Party has any idea what makes a good wrestling match, but they can jump really high and do a million moves, so who cares. Great tone-setter match.
WRau1
RealGM

Post#505 » by WRau1 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:26 am

Stanford wrote:Love that AEW opened the show without an intro - straight into a match. It wasn't a great match, but holy **** was it fun. I don't think Private Party has any idea what makes a good wrestling match, but they can jump really high and do a million moves, so who cares. Great tone-setter match.

100% agree about Private Party. Dark Order vs SCU was very very good, though.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#506 » by jakecronus8 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:28 am

Orton is forever one of the greatest under achievers in wrestling.
Do it for Chuck
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#507 » by Spens1 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:46 am

Wrestling wise this week, obviously NXT wins (like damn how could it not) but AEW is worrying about their own stories which is key.

I still feel the roster is somewhat light in certain areas and will improve with the additions of Marty Scurll and Brody King as his enforcer (and maybe Flip as well with him, but Flip could come in on his own and get a program with Cody and MJF immediately).

Though if i where to make a list of wrestlers from WWE i'd like to see in AEW, i think it would be limited to Bryan, Riddle, Zayn, Owens, Cesaro, Rusev, Undisputed Era, Gargano and Ciampa honestly. I think they're going to be after a specific type of wrestler. In saying that, i still say they should throw CM Punk that Lesnar contract and have him be a big time heel cause if anyone could pull it off on the mic, its him.

The woman's side on the other hand......... lets put it this way, they NEED Tessa Blanchard at the minimum (realistically, they need her, Grace and like 4-5 other women to at least build around).
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#508 » by Marcus » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:28 pm

Spens1 wrote:Wrestling wise this week, obviously NXT wins (like damn how could it not) but AEW is worrying about their own stories which is key.

I still feel the roster is somewhat light in certain areas and will improve with the additions of Marty Scurll and Brody King as his enforcer (and maybe Flip as well with him, but Flip could come in on his own and get a program with Cody and MJF immediately).

Though if i where to make a list of wrestlers from WWE i'd like to see in AEW, i think it would be limited to Bryan, Riddle, Zayn, Owens, Cesaro, Rusev, Undisputed Era, Gargano and Ciampa honestly. I think they're going to be after a specific type of wrestler. In saying that, i still say they should throw CM Punk that Lesnar contract and have him be a big time heel cause if anyone could pull it off on the mic, its him.

The woman's side on the other hand......... lets put it this way, they NEED Tessa Blanchard at the minimum (realistically, they need her, Grace and like 4-5 other women to at least build around).

yeah that thing is baddddd
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#509 » by Stanford » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:11 pm

AEW should be encouraged by NXT's ability to replenish their women's division after an exodus.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#510 » by iMoreland » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:58 pm

AEW needs Tessa Blanchard
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#511 » by Wo1verine » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:33 pm

Wardlow is making his debut very soon should be interesting

Wonder if they debut him squashing someone?
BrunoSkull
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#512 » by jakecronus8 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:01 pm

Wow. These are the best looking belts in all of wrestling. Perfection.

Read on Twitter
Do it for Chuck
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#513 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:14 pm

The Young Bucks vs the Best Friends was my favorite of the night. It helps facing the best tag team in the world, but the latter impressed me this match - Trent seems like he has some potential. I like the Orange Cassidy gimmick as 3rd man. Private Party and Lucha Bros had tons of spots but I noticed Private Party needs more work making their strikes, etc. look real. Maybe Lucha Bros could have sold more too.

Jericho and Rhodes segment was pretty fun thanks to how good Jericho is

I continue to enjoy AEW women's division. Jamie Hayter looks like she can become a fixture with good size and charisma, and other than her character being a super nasty, is probably one of their hottest outside of Brandi. Britt is ok. She seems more like lower level WWE main roster girl than indie like the other ones, she has that corporate feel. She would probably have Emma's main roster career. I guess that's an asset but doesn't quite jive with what AEW is about overall in my opinion.

It has a few more weeks to develop but I'm pretty confused by Moxley and Omega feud. It feels like Moxley has greater heat with Pac right now mainly cause it's a truer face-heel. The stream I watched showed what happened during the commercial breaks, so after the match ended in a tie and the TV broadcast ended (?) Omega came out and Hangman came out, and it ended with Hangman setting up the Full Gear match with Pac, along with Moxley and Omega having some sort of frenemies stare down. It seems like that should've been the TV ending if it wasn't but the time limit gimmick and a draw messed up them up a bit.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#514 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:47 am

So I'm listening to some of Cornette's rants about AEW and I don't agree with how old school and realistic his tastes are, but he definitely made me look at some things in a new way. For example he talked about how when they booked shows back in the day, sometimes guys capable of bigger spots or show stealing matches earlier in the card intentionally didn't do them, because it makes the main event guys look better if they have the best match or the biggest spot and they have a better chance of getting over due to look, charisma, etc. The undercard role's supporting the card is more complicated than to just putting on the best match you can at all times. AEW is something of wrestling communism where every match goes 15-20 minutes and tries to make both guys get over, but there must be a downside to trying to get every guy over at once compared to using the other guys to get your select main eventers over. He was talking about Omega (who he calls Kenny Olivier :lol:) vs Janela and he doesn't believe Janela will get over due to his look, so if that ends up being correct, it will be a waste trying to get him over by making Omega struggle with him for a long match. When for example you could have done an 8 minute match where Omega generally looks stronger throughout, Janela comes back and gets some offense in to still look decent and that he can hang with a top hang, but Omega gets back in control and wins. On the whole the message sent is Omega is clearly a higher level guy and controlled most of the match but Janela showed he has potential. Whereas the real match was pretty much even and twice as long.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,035

Post#515 » by daoneandonly » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:58 am

Dr Positivity wrote:So I'm listening to some of Cornette's rants about AEW and I don't agree with how old school and realistic his tastes are, but he definitely made me look at some things in a new way. For example he talked about how when they booked shows back in the day, sometimes guys capable of bigger spots or show stealing matches earlier in the card intentionally didn't do them, because it makes the main event guys look better if they have the best match or the biggest spot and they have a better chance of getting over due to look, charisma, etc. The undercard role's supporting the card is more complicated than to just putting on the best match you can at all times. AEW is something of wrestling communism where every match goes 15-20 minutes and tries to make both guys get over, but there must be a downside to trying to get every guy over at once compared to using the other guys to get your select main eventers over. He was talking about Omega (who he calls Kenny Olivier :lol:) vs Janela and he doesn't believe Janela will get over due to his look, so if that ends up being correct, it will be a waste trying to get him over by making Omega struggle with him for a long match. When for example you could have done an 8 minute match where Omega generally looks stronger throughout, Janela comes back and gets some offense in to still look decent and that he can hang with a top hang, but Omega gets back in control and wins. On the whole the message sent is Omega is clearly a higher level guy and controlled most of the match but Janela showed he has potential. Whereas the real match was pretty much even and twice as long.

I heard Cornette and Janela legit hate each other, so that may have to be taken with a grain of salt
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#516 » by Stanford » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:15 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:He was talking about Omega (who he calls Kenny Olivier :lol:)

That's actually the thing that I love about Omega. All of his movements are so exaggerated. You can tell what move he's going to do 2 second before he does it. Cornette probably thinks it's hokey, but I think it helps him translate to a broad group of people, especially those watching live. It's why I think he's a great fit in WWE.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#517 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Nov 1, 2019 10:42 pm

I felt a shift in AEW tonight. Perhaps as a reaction to the ratings they are letting in some more WWE stuff, which I'm ok with as I'm pro WWE. They allowed more promos like Moxley and Page in addition to the Rhodes and Jericho ones, after the last few weeks (including the non TV segment challenging Pac) I'm a lot more sold on Page's potential, he is pretty good on the mic. I actually think they should make him go over Pac. They also went out of their way to make Santana and Ortiz hated bad guys (word to the Rock and Roll Express guy for allowing himself to go through a table at his age), and allowed there to be some matches that are borderline squashes like The Best Friends match.

I wasn't a fan of the roll up ending in the tag tournament especially since I was looking at what the partner was doing, but it was entertaining overall and sets up a future match with the Lucha Bros. I was into the women's match and I have to wonder why it took a month to get either of those wrestlers on the show. Hikaru Shida seems like one of the best female wrestlers they have and while Shanna is not quite as technically strong, she has a little bit that cute/charismatic factor to her, and she's no worse than Britt Baker in the ring
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#518 » by Stanford » Thu Nov 7, 2019 2:46 am

Other than that botched near fall at the end, PAC-Trent was a banger.

lol, every promo on AEW is good with no exceptions.

That Jericho video package was hilarious. So much going on.
WRau1
RealGM

Post#519 » by WRau1 » Thu Nov 7, 2019 3:31 pm

The women's tag last night was probably the best female match I've seen from AEW so far. There was some timing issues but some good action, near falls and crazy moves.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#520 » by Wo1verine » Fri Nov 8, 2019 12:11 am

The girl with the mic was so cringe i thought.

Terrible look and gimmick IMO.
BrunoSkull

Return to Pro Wrestling