All Elite Wrestling - Discussion

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,534

Re: All Elite Wrestling - Discussion 

Post#561 » by Dominator83 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:00 pm

Scott Hall wrote:First time I watched a full episode of Dynamite live in a few weeks it's still not really clicking with me yet.
Interesting to see what the ratings are this week.

Glad im not the only one that thinks its been lackluster, especially Omega. His only great match so far was a weapons match
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,521

Post#562 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:14 am

The Butcher, the Blade and the Bunny are pretty awesome. Two guys that look like total badasses and a babe :nod: Pretty good tag match with Cody and not SCU bald guy

A note on that difference between WWE flow and AEW: Cody has his tag match with Butcher and the Blade (with a short MJF video package during his entrance) and it is explained MJF hired them to fight Cody. After the match Darby comes out and helps Cody up. Then it goes to commercial, THEN MJF comes out and does a promo all about Cody.

How the WWE most likely does it: MJF comes out first and does his promo, then Cody comes out to interrupt him and trying to fight him. MJF says that he’s not going to fight Cody, these guys are (Butcher and the Blade’s music comes on). Most likely it then turns into a handicap match, or the three of them beat up Cody before Darby or QT comes out, or one of them comes out and they have a tag match there.

I know some people are sick of the WWE’s style so I know the latter is not necessarily better, but it would put two segments in one and make it flow directly from MJF to Cody's match, and would also establish more clearly the alliance between MJF and the Butcher/Blade.
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#563 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:48 am

Sakura and Big Swole was a good match outside of the Freddie Mercury character being total nonsense
Dr Positivity
RealGM

Post#564 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:06 am

Can Penelope wrestle? She looks like she could be Batman’s girlfriend and did a nice hurricanara

Might have to start listening to Jericho’s theme song on Spotify, gets me every time (although I’m disappointed the lyric isn’t "Judas ate my mind”). I do love that Fozzy just happened to be 100% the style of music WWE puts in PPVs
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#565 » by Spens1 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:10 am

Cold debut aside, Butcher and Blade where good this week,

i enjoyed big swole and sakura even, good contrast there. Kenny and Page winning was interesting, storyline wise, i wonder how they justify the turnaround (cause both of them are kind of on a role, but Page has downright left the Elite and Kenny has put distance).

Bucks beating Santana and Ortiz and face SCU, i'm not for it tbh. I think its too soon for the matchup. I'd honestly rather have Private Party or someone get a shot and then at a major PPV, do Bucks vs SCU.

On the other hand. Moxley winning the AEW belt may be for the best right now (cause as great as Jericho is, he's 50 and ain't that good in the ring anymore, Moxley is very good in the ring and on the mic, plus he's arguably the top face and can drop to a guy like PAC next year).

Random thought, i'd love to see them bring in Quackenbush and Chikara and turn that kind of into a dojo of soughts. Cause Chikara and Quackenbush is amazing at developing talent (also i'd love to see guys like Mark Angelosetti, Icarus, Hallowicked, KimberLee etc be able to get AEW tv time whilst being able to sort of have funding to continue Chikara). I mention Chikara cause AEW kind of is, at least at its core, somewhat similar to that (well, Chikara and PWG would be the closest comparisons). Not to mention, if guys like Chris Hero and Eddie Kingston return as trainers and wrestlers that would also be great.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#566 » by Ruzious » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:The Butcher, the Blade and the Bunny are pretty awesome. Two guys that look like total badasses and a babe :nod: Pretty good tag match with Cody and not SCU bald guy

A note on that difference between WWE flow and AEW: Cody has his tag match with Butcher and the Blade (with a short MJF video package during his entrance) and it is explained MJF hired them to fight Cody. After the match Darby comes out and helps Cody up. Then it goes to commercial, THEN MJF comes out and does a promo all about Cody.

How the WWE most likely does it: MJF comes out first and does his promo, then Cody comes out to interrupt him and trying to fight him. MJF says that he’s not going to fight Cody, these guys are (Butcher and the Blade’s music comes on). Most likely it then turns into a handicap match, or the three of them beat up Cody before Darby or QT comes out, or one of them comes out and they have a tag match there.

I know some people are sick of the WWE’s style so I know the latter is not necessarily better, but it would put two segments in one and make it flow directly from MJF to Cody's match, and would also establish more clearly the alliance between MJF and the Butcher/Blade.

I don't have a problem with AEW's style. it's their talent level that's got me changing the station. Jericho's still a great asset, but his group stinks, tbh. They do have some fun young talents, and I appreciate the Rhodes' and like several of their tag teams, but they don't have enough guys to complement Moxley on top.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,029

Post#567 » by daoneandonly » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:03 pm

I dont see how anyoen can say the Inner Circle sucks. Sanatana and Ortiz can go in the ring, and are very underrate don the mic. Swagger is a legit tough guy and Sammy G is a guy you want to punch in the face, exactly what one should feel about a heel.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#568 » by Spens1 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:09 am

Yeah Inner Circle isn't the issue when it comes to talent, i'd say the talent deficit is in the main event elsewhere (other than Kenny, PAC and Moxley, they have no star power which is something they will have to fix with at least 2 more names that can go now, they can't wait to develop Page and MJF cause that's going to take at the better part of next year).
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,271

Post#569 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:35 pm

Jericho now accusing miz of gimmick stealing :roll:

I’ll be honest, at first I was rooting hard for AEW but they’re really just annoying with their napoleonic complex. They’re the Houston Rockets of wrestling. Obsessed with them vs the world mentality and just not likable.

Not to mention their product is just meh to me. It’s more like watching gymnastics than actual storytelling. I’ve gone from being excited about AEW to meh whatever to actively rooting against them.
Do it for Chuck
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#570 » by Flames24Rulz » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:43 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Jericho now accusing miz of gimmick stealing :roll:

I’ll be honest, at first I was rooting hard for AEW but they’re really just annoying with their napoleonic complex. They’re the Houston Rockets of wrestling. Obsessed with them vs the world mentality and just not likable.

Not to mention their product is just meh to me. It’s more like watching gymnastics than actual storytelling. I’ve gone from being excited about AEW to meh whatever to actively rooting against them.

It's funny because I think MJF is a complete gimmick steal of Miz. I don't get why 'gimmick stealing' is such a big deal in wrestling either. It's like one of the ultimate four letter words for marks...lol. News flash, moves and gimmicks are 'stolen' all the time.

I love Jericho, but that seems like sour grapes to me.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#571 » by WRau1 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:55 pm

Flames24Rulz wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:Jericho now accusing miz of gimmick stealing :roll:

It's funny because I think MJF is a complete gimmick steal of Miz. I don't get why 'gimmick stealing' is such a big deal in wrestling either. It's like one of the ultimate four letter words for marks...lol. News flash, moves and gimmicks are 'stolen' all the time.

I love Jericho, but that seems like sour grapes to me.

Jericho has said on numerous occasions that his WWE heel work was based a lot off of Nick Bockwinkle. His Judas Effect elbow is basically Andrade's snap back elbow. Jericho's current "crazy clown" Painmaker NJPW gimmick is pretty damn close to Fall of Decay's Crazy Steve. Everyone borrows from everyone. Jericho just needs something to bitch about, it seems.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#572 » by daoneandonly » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:18 pm

I'm still on the AEW train, I've completely stopped watching Raw & Smackdown. And dont watch that much NXT only because its on the same night as AEW and it just doesnt seem good enough to spend two hours on at a later time
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#573 » by Flames24Rulz » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:08 pm

daoneandonly wrote:I'm still on the AEW train, I've completely stopped watching Raw & Smackdown. And dont watch that much NXT only because its on the same night as AEW and it just doesnt seem good enough to spend two hours on at a later time

Yeah, me too. Outside of the production issues, it's been a rather enjoyable two hour watch for me most Wednesday's. I still make sure to DVR NXT because IMO, the two best televised shows right now are on Wednesday nights.

Compare the two hour show of AEW on Wednesday's and the two hour show of SD on Friday's and you'll see why I'm still pretty much invested in AEW.
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#574 » by Dominator83 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 7:20 am

Caught the end of last night's show. That 6 man tag was very good and Omega actually looked like Omega in the ring

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#575 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jan 3, 2020 2:27 pm

Yea it was a good episode of Dynamite. Apparently Dark Order is going to have an exhaulted one, kind of like a higher power? Any guesses on who that may be?

I think Luke Harper would be a great choice.
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#576 » by JohnPferdelack » Tue Jan 7, 2020 7:13 am

I don't know...maybe it has also to do that for many ones several wrestlers are unknown. maybe i have watched to much wwe, where every competitor is familiar...
Womens Division is from the wrestling standpoint atrocious.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#577 » by Spens1 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:33 am

Despite inexplicably losing out on Marty Scurll (how the **** does Tony Khan and the Elite not throw 7 figures at him and offer him an EVP i don't know, if for nothing else, at least completing the Elite), they have managed to land Brian Cage.

That is a pretty big loss for Impact and a huge gain for AEW who have needed a legit big name and a big body in the promotion (Cage vs Hager, Cage vs Wardlow, Cage vs Omega all should be fun, also please feed Stunt to Cage just for the flossin, no 24 year old should be flossin :lol: ).
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,210

Post#578 » by LLJ » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:45 pm

I feel like the top stars (Cody, Jericho and Moxley) are the real pull of the show right now. Cassidy is funny and Allin is promising, but there needs more juice in the rest of the card. At least the tag division is strong.

JohnPferdelack wrote:Womens Division is from the wrestling standpoint atrocious.

The matches are OK when there is a decently experienced talent involved like Shanna, Riho, Shida, Priestley and Statlander is interest...but their best matches are like WWE's top women workers in an average TV match.

I'm more surprised had badly booked the division is. No real stories, nobody is being built up as a big deal, 50/50 booking...
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#579 » by AirCanadaMouse » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:43 pm

Wow, I just back into wrestling after a decade of not watching, decided to check out AEW on TSN after all the promotion it was getting on the network and I was hooked immediately. I didn't know there was AEW discussion on RealGM but sadly this thread looks quite scarce, I'll be poking around here from now on though,

I'm a huge fan of Sammy G because of vlogs, really find myself pulling for this guy.
Thank you Clutch0z24
Dominator83
RealGM

Post#580 » by Dominator83 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:29 am

AirCanadaMouse wrote:Wow, I just back into wrestling after a decade of not watching, decided to check out AEW on TSN after all the promotion it was getting on the network and I was hooked immediately. I didn't know there was AEW discussion on RealGM but sadly this thread looks quite scarce, I'll be poking around here from now on though,

I'm a huge fan of Sammy G because of vlogs, really find myself pulling for this guy.

Yea the wrestling board in general isn't quite where we want it to be as far as traffic goes.

But yea AEW has been getting better. I went live on Thanksgiving Eve, and that show I though sucked! They wasted the first 20 mins with a brutal WWE like segment with Jericho and inner circle. Omega was still wrestling like "meh" Kenny Omega, etc. But the last couple weeks have been pretty good

Return to Pro Wrestling