All Elite Wrestling - Discussion

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,045

Re: All Elite Wrestling - Discussion 

Post#761 » by daoneandonly » Thu Apr 9, 2020 5:01 pm

bondom34 wrote:Hardy's promo has me laughing like a madman, that was hilarious.

Yes, i particularly liked the jab at Guervara, haha
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#762 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Apr 9, 2020 9:40 pm

Where are all the Britt Baker haters now? Seriously ... she was the stand out star of dynamite.

Had the best match of her career, and give credit to Shida as she usually leads the dance against the ladies, as she should ... but Baker was amazing.

As soon as she got busted up from her nose I was hoping she would just look in the camera and smile about it, it puts her crazy side over and she actually did it... perfectly too. That was the moment where it clicked ... this girl is starting to get it now.

Last week she was attacking Cody with her shoe, putting that crazy stuff over in entertaining fashion... major props.

Oh and then they had her cut a promo, probably on the fly as her nose was messed up man lol... and she incorporated it to her promo. “At least you didn’t hit my teeth, but even if you did, I could fix them because I’m a dentist” brilliant.

People hate her, and honestly I could see where they were coming from... but This episode Baker was super over.

Reminds of last week, not a marko stunt fan at all , but hard to hate on a guy when he put his body through all those spots to make Archer look good. AEW does a great job at adapting with character people aren’t feeling and finding ways to get them over. Did it with Hangman Page toob

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Thank you Clutch0z24
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#763 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Apr 9, 2020 9:57 pm

Also I really enjoyed the chemistry of Jericho and tony on commentary. I really hope once Jericho retires, he sticks around as a commentator. I’ve been saying for awhile that AEW is lacking a heel sympathizer for a commentator so it’s always great to see Jericho in that role.

Witty, funny and put the faces over... those are the type of heel commentators I love. Heenan was the best, not only for his humour but he made hogan look like a million bucks “I hate that hulk hogan, he’s so good!” .. similar thing that Jericho did. Heck he even put Aubrey over as a ref lmao.

Tony does great working with the other commentator too. Made Cody fit right in too. I’m so glad Tony loves wrestling again.

Thank you Clutch0z24
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#764 » by The_Brecht » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:05 am

Brodie Lee needs other ring gear.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#765 » by Spens1 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:56 am

tag team match was far too long and just painful to watch. I like Nakazawa's gimmick but the comedy match didn't need to go that long and Kenny, ffs, he's meant to be a world title contender and one of the best in the world. Keep the comedy in the opening or very early on in the card and get it over and done with in 5 minutes.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#766 » by AirCanadaMouse » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:38 pm

Spens1 wrote:tag team match was far too long and just painful to watch. I like Nakazawa's gimmick but the comedy match didn't need to go that long and Kenny, ffs, he's meant to be a world title contender and one of the best in the world. Keep the comedy in the opening or very early on in the card and get it over and done with in 5 minutes.

I see it differently, that right there is what makes Kenny the best in the world, and something he spoke about himself. He can wrestle any style. Hard/stiff, slow/old school, modern/High spots, hardcore matches, and of course comedic matches.

I’ve noticed there’s a huge divide amongst Omega fans though. We all like him, but we all want him to do something according to what we want. Some really hate the goofiness.

Even Jericho mentioned it on commentary that he loves the more sadistic Omega, “the cleaner” part of his gimmick, if you will.

And then there’s people like me who love it. It’s more genuine if a person tries to be nice/goofy, but when the time calls for it, they bring out the more darker parts of their personality. That sounds like an actual person IRL, I’m about it lol.

As for the match, It should’ve been scripted way better in the back. I was glad they give the match some backstory, even if it was a bit silly, and I’m okay with the premise of a comedic match based on that backstory... but like you said, it went on too long.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Thank you Clutch0z24
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#767 » by AirCanadaMouse » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:42 pm

The_Brecht wrote:Brodie Lee needs other ring gear.

That. Or he really needs to lose some weight. I know he’s an older guy, but Jericho mentioned this on the MJF episode of TIJ, AEW has way too many guys who don’t have a good physique. I know that doesn’t mean as much since it’s not a Vince McMahon ran company, but guys like Chuck Taylor? Come on man. Get your ass in shape, especially beside Trent who looks great. I shouldn’t feel like I could take you on as a regular fan. That’s why I’m glad they signed someone like Brian Cage.
Thank you Clutch0z24
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#768 » by daoneandonly » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:54 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:Where are all the Britt Baker haters now? Seriously ... she was the stand out star of dynamite.

Had the best match of her career, and give credit to Shida as she usually leads the dance against the ladies, as she should ... but Baker was amazing.

As soon as she got busted up from her nose I was hoping she would just look in the camera and smile about it, it puts her crazy side over and she actually did it... perfectly too. That was the moment where it clicked ... this girl is starting to get it now.

Last week she was attacking Cody with her shoe, putting that crazy stuff over in entertaining fashion... major props.

Oh and then they had her cut a promo, probably on the fly as her nose was messed up man lol... and she incorporated it to her promo. “At least you didn’t hit my teeth, but even if you did, I could fix them because I’m a dentist” brilliant.

People hate her, and honestly I could see where they were coming from... but This episode Baker was super over.

Reminds of last week, not a marko stunt fan at all , but hard to hate on a guy when he put his body through all those spots to make Archer look good. AEW does a great job at adapting with character people aren’t feeling and finding ways to get them over. Did it with Hangman Page toob

Yeah she's really stepped it up since that first awful promo when she turned. Ever since then, she's been doing a phenomenal job at being a heel.

AEW's tag division is already deep, but hopefully gets even deeper with these guys:

https://prowrestling.net/site/2020/04/10/wwe-releases-scott-dawson-and-dash-wilder/
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#769 » by iMoreland » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:41 pm

Safe to say The Revival will be showing up on AEW any time now. Omega/Page (c) vs The Revival sounds real good. Put the tag titles on them day 1 in the company.

Apparently their new names are Dax Harwood and Cash Wheeler. Yikes.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#770 » by Spens1 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:17 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
Spens1 wrote:tag team match was far too long and just painful to watch. I like Nakazawa's gimmick but the comedy match didn't need to go that long and Kenny, ffs, he's meant to be a world title contender and one of the best in the world. Keep the comedy in the opening or very early on in the card and get it over and done with in 5 minutes.

I see it differently, that right there is what makes Kenny the best in the world, and something he spoke about himself. He can wrestle any style. Hard/stiff, slow/old school, modern/High spots, hardcore matches, and of course comedic matches.

I’ve noticed there’s a huge divide amongst Omega fans though. We all like him, but we all want him to do something according to what we want. Some really hate the goofiness.

Even Jericho mentioned it on commentary that he loves the more sadistic Omega, “the cleaner” part of his gimmick, if you will.

And then there’s people like me who love it. It’s more genuine if a person tries to be nice/goofy, but when the time calls for it, they bring out the more darker parts of their personality. That sounds like an actual person IRL, I’m about it lol.

As for the match, It should’ve been scripted way better in the back. I was glad they give the match some backstory, even if it was a bit silly, and I’m okay with the premise of a comedic match based on that backstory... but like you said, it went on too long.

HIs goofiness can be good of course but this was straight up overboard. A bit of it here and there (like on BTE and if this match was like 5-10 minutes) it would have been fine. I just think their should be a good balance of it and we've really gotten far far more goofy omega instead of the cleaner (though that's the storyline at least)
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,297

Post#771 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:25 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:

That. Or he really needs to lose some weight. I know he’s an older guy, but Jericho mentioned this on the MJF episode of TIJ, AEW has way too many guys who don’t have a good physique. I know that doesn’t mean as much since it’s not a Vince McMahon ran company, but guys like Chuck Taylor? Come on man. Get your ass in shape, especially beside Trent who looks great. I shouldn’t feel like I could take you on as a regular fan. That’s why I’m glad they signed someone like Brian Cage.

WAYYYY too many. You turn on the TV and they look like average joe’s who you’re in better shape than, rather than professional wrestlers. Too many guys are either scrawny/skinny or out of shape.

Evil Uno and his minions in the dark order bug me. UNO’s physique has bugged me since day one, and the minions are the scrawniest looking guys I’ve ever seen (who also just plainly can’t work).
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#772 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:16 am

Amare_1_Knicks wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:

WAYYYY too many. You turn on the TV and they look like average joe’s who you’re in better shape than, rather than professional wrestlers. Too many guys are either scrawny/skinny or out of shape.

Evil Uno and his minions in the dark order bug me. UNO’s physique has bugged me since day one, and the minions are the scrawniest looking guys I’ve ever seen (who also just plainly can’t work).

I've been deep diving on Uno's work, I really enjoy it, the player Uno gimmick was great... I didn't watch AEW until the TNT premiere so I wanted to see the older stuff, and man, the Dark Order looked TERRIBLE back then, and I'm so glad Jericho told Uno to wear a suit because as you said, his physique was awful for his gear. Dark Order looked liked J.O.B. squad 2.0, it was so bad before, as you mentioned.

Look if you're Kevin Steen, Big Bossman (in his earlier days), Adrian Adonis or Bam Bam Bigelow where despite your fat ass, you can actually move in the ring, but those wrestlers are so far and in between. And while I like Uno in the ring, if you're going to wear the attire that he did initially, you have to lose weight man.

And it's honestly no excuse. Jericho is 50, he was so bloated earlier but you can tell he's really trying to get himself back in shape. He's been losing a lot of fat, but if the 50 year old whose been in the business for 30 years can go to work, so can these younger guys.

And honestly, this is why I'm so high on guys like MJF and Sammy Guevera. Sammy Guevera has a great physique , can do all the acrobat flippy do stuff, sell moves, and is getting better and better on the mic.
Thank you Clutch0z24
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant

Post#773 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:00 am

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
Amare_1_Knicks wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:

I've been deep diving on Uno's work, I really enjoy it, the player Uno gimmick was great... I didn't watch AEW until the TNT premiere so I wanted to see the older stuff, and man, the Dark Order looked TERRIBLE back then, and I'm so glad Jericho told Uno to wear a suit because as you said, his physique was awful for his gear. Dark Order looked liked J.O.B. squad 2.0, it was so bad before, as you mentioned.

Look if you're Kevin Steen, Big Bossman (in his earlier days), Adrian Adonis or Bam Bam Bigelow where despite your fat ass, you can actually move in the ring, but those wrestlers are so far and in between. And while I like Uno in the ring, if you're going to wear the attire that he did initially, you have to lose weight man.

And it's honestly no excuse. Jericho is 50, he was so bloated earlier but you can tell he's really trying to get himself back in shape. He's been losing a lot of fat, but if the 50 year old whose been in the business for 30 years can go to work, so can these younger guys.

And honestly, this is why I'm so high on guys like MJF and Sammy Guevera. Sammy Guevera has a great physique , can do all the acrobat flippy do stuff, sell moves, and is getting better and better on the mic.

Yeah, for me there’s no excuse to be comically out of shape the way some of these guys are (again, on either end of the spectrum). And while I’m getting on guys for physique, Joey Janela’s another one — just this weird, teenage boy physique.

I’m pretty high on MJF and Sammy as well; they clearly take their fitness/physique seriously (though Sammy can, and likely will stand to put on a few pounds), along with their in ring work, in general.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#774 » by AirCanadaMouse » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:09 am

Amare_1_Knicks wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:
Amare_1_Knicks wrote:

Yeah, for me there’s no excuse to be comically out of shape the way some of these guys are (again, on either end of the spectrum). And while I’m getting on guys for physique, Joey Janela’s another one — just this weird, teenage boy physique.

I’m pretty high on MJF and Sammy as well; they clearly take their fitness/physique seriously (though Sammy can, and likely will stand to put on a few pounds), along with their in ring work, in general.

I honestly don’t get the appeal in Joey Janella at all and I consider myself an AEW mark. His promo before that Moxley match was atrocious, and his whole schtik feels like a Macho Man rip off but without the entertaining appeal that a Jay Lethal provides. Seems like a great guy from what wrestlers say about him though.

Thank you Clutch0z24
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant

Post#775 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:24 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
Amare_1_Knicks wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:

I honestly don’t get the appeal in Joey Janella at all and I consider myself an AEW mark. His promo before that Moxley match was atrocious, and his whole schtik feels like a Macho Man rip off but without the entertaining appeal that a Jay Lethal provides. Seems like a great guy from what wrestlers say about him though.

I don’t get it either. Since day one he’s been presented as this awkward, parody of a wrestler — doing these jokey backstage promos, and with these over the top in-ring cadences — and one top of it all, he’s a below average wrestler, in general.

His best match, that generated the most interest, had the best reactions, and where he looked his best was that hardcore match against Moxley, but all things considered that doesn’t really say much. The extreme spots are used as a prop or crutch to get easy reactions from the fans and it’s not like he was in there with another guy at his level — it was Mox.

But again, I definitely agree; keep him on Dark unless absolutely necessary.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#776 » by improper » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:44 pm

His social distancing match was entertaining. Dumb, obviously, but it worked.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Post#777 » by bondom34 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:09 am

I'm late to this thread but as a PSU fan and alum I'm also inherently a Baker fan, so glad to see she's getting props. Had a little Becky Lynch thing going there for a minute, and she's playing heel very well.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#778 » by daoneandonly » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:06 pm

If AEW can get some of the talent WWE released today (EC3, Gallows, Anderson, EY, Lio, etc), that could be a good way to add some depth to the roster.

Of all those guys, I think Ec3 still has main event potential, he's a brilliant heel.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,557

Post#779 » by Dominator83 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:13 am

AEW does such a better job of making matches matter. Like right now Lance Archer vs Colt, and they actually have me giving a ****
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#780 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:22 am

daoneandonly wrote:If AEW can get some of the talent WWE released today (EC3, Gallows, Anderson, EY, Lio, etc), that could be a good way to add some depth to the roster.

Of all those guys, I think Ec3 still has main event potential, he's a brilliant heel.

His run on impact as a main eventer was a lot of fun, he definitely has something to offer. Rusev would be another great get, back to how they need some physique guys that can still go... they’re perfect fits.

But not sure if AEW can even think about spending money and signing talent, I would be more worried about potential releases from them.
Thank you Clutch0z24

Return to Pro Wrestling