All Elite Wrestling - Discussion

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Re: All Elite Wrestling - Discussion 

Post#781 » by Spens1 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:16 am

daoneandonly wrote:If AEW can get some of the talent WWE released today (EC3, Gallows, Anderson, EY, Lio, etc), that could be a good way to add some depth to the roster.

Of all those guys, I think Ec3 still has main event potential, he's a brilliant heel.

I'd say they're almost certain to add G + Y given that they want to remain in the states and have history with the Bucks.

Lio Rush i'd say could end up at any number of promotions (impact, back to MLW + CZW or AEW). I think EC3 ends up back in Impact but given his promo he released after his release (yes, he released a promo in reaction to being released) i'd say AEW could be a destination (him and Rockstar Spud should be a package deal).
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

All Elite Wrestling - Discussion 

Post#782 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:29 pm

That episode of dynamite sucked. Its easy to blame the pandemic but it was just a badly booked show, it felt like a longer version of Dark.

I enjoyed all the moxley/Hager prediction videos, it reminded me of the build wwe had with lashley/cena at Great American Bash and all these names giving their predictions.

It was a big time match that sucked. And why did Hager have to break up the submission in a no holds barred match when Moxley touches the ropes? That was really stupid lol. Who thought it was a good idea to have JR on commentary solo? JR just doesn’t get excited like he once did. It’s a shame because the Jericho/Tony duo was great again, want to hear them more, not JR.

Lance Archer looks like he’s really killing dudes out there. I’m becoming a fan, that’s the art of pro wrestling, make it seem real while being totally safe. Like how they tried to build colt up before the match to give him credibility.

Bubbly Bunch fell flat, the Sammy Guevara post match promo was really bad, and Chuck Taylor looks like he got even fatter.

Tired of all these jobbers in matches, have some promos, advance some storylines.

They look awful. Justin Law made me regret not trying to be a pro wrestler, lol... I legitimately feel like I look more the part than he does in every single facet.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Thank you Clutch0z24
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#783 » by improper » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:24 pm

Rusev and EC3 would be nice gets for AEW because they are generally lacking in bigger guys. Both guys are also great on the mic and could instantly be main event level talent.

Gallows and Anderson would be a nice boost to the tag division too, along with the Revival.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,822

Post#784 » by Dominator83 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:29 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:That episode of dynamite sucked. Its easy to blame the pandemic but it was just a badly booked show, it felt like a longer version of Dark.

I enjoyed all the moxley/Hager prediction videos, it reminded me of the build wwe had with lashley/cena at Great American Bash and all these names giving their predictions.

It was a big time match that sucked. And why did Hager have to break up the submission in a no holds barred match when Moxley touches the ropes? That was really stupid lol. Who thought it was a good idea to have JR on commentary solo? JR just doesn’t get excited like he once did. It’s a shame because the Jericho/Tony duo was great again, want to hear them more, not JR.

Lance Archer looks like he’s really killing dudes out there. I’m becoming a fan, that’s the art of pro wrestling, make it seem real while being totally safe. Like how they tried to build colt up before the match to give him credibility.

Bubbly Bunch fell flat, the Sammy Guevara post match promo was really bad, and Chuck Taylor looks like he got even fatter.

Tired of all these jobbers in matches, have some promos, advance some storylines.

They look awful. Justin Law made me regret not trying to be a pro wrestler, lol... I legitimately feel like I look more the part than he does in every single facet.

Yea i did post that i like the way and think they do a better job of making their matches matter. But i agree that after the Archer/Colt match, things went downhill from there. and agree 100% on Justin Law. I said out loud "who the hell is this burger" lol

But yea i give them major credit in the beginning. Like, we all knew that Colt had zero shot of winning that match, but they still made me care to be invested in it because of the pre-match build
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#785 » by The_Brecht » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:21 am

All the hype they created for Mox vs Hager and then we get that?
It was worse than Gargano vs Ciampa, which says a lot.

I liked the bubbly bunch though.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#786 » by Spens1 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:58 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:That episode of dynamite sucked. Its easy to blame the pandemic but it was just a badly booked show, it felt like a longer version of Dark.

I pretty much agree, honestly that Moxley/Hager match had me asking 'why the hell did AEW ever bother hiring this guy' which isn't good for a guy who is meant to be an upper mid carder. Like their are so many independent talents they could have signed with better name value that would have filled that role.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#787 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:10 am

Spens1 wrote:

I pretty much agree, honestly that Moxley/Hager match had me asking 'why the hell did AEW ever bother hiring this guy' which isn't good for a guy who is meant to be an upper mid carder. Like their are so many independent talents they could have signed with better name value that would have filled that role.

It really bums me out because I'm pulling for Hager really hard, he's one of the reasons I gave AEW a chance in the first place too. I fell out love with wrestling over a decade ago, been heavily into MMA since 2006, love the sport, I watch all the UFC and mostly all Bellator events.

Hager went full out "we the people" in his Bellator debut, not even going to lie, I was intrigued. Knew about him being in the WWE, never watched him perform there though. I saw the youtube video of his AEW debut and thought it was really cool, the crowd reaction reminded me of ECW, along with AEW getting a lot of marketing hype on TSN too, I said you know what... let's just poke around and see what's going on the next episode.

I've been hooked ever since and feel like a kid. Obviously AEW isn't getting their return in investment off silly old me, but at least by acquiring Hager they got me as a fan, so I do see why they signed him initially, but it pains me that I agree with you because he really hasn't offered anything since.

The goldust match at PPV was average at best, but with Archer/Brodie Lee and guys like Brian Cage signed, I wonder if Hager's legitimacy even matters anymore?

I will say, because of this legitimacy, at least Moxley has a really credible title defense that he can build off of. If they use Hager in a position where top guys beat him to make them look legit, I'm all for it. But I'm not sure how you can keep pushing him like that without making him a main eventer, which is a role he's not suited for. WWE already tried, too.
Thank you Clutch0z24
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,312

Post#788 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:54 am

The Hager/Dustin match at Revolution was pretty average, and while this one was pretty bad/boring, I can give them a break. There’s no way they could’ve delivered in an empty arena match (why were they touting that?), with JR doing solo commentary.

Two of the best parts of dynamite since there have been no fans are 1. Schiavone and Jericho on commentary and 2. The wrestlers at ringside to create some ambience — and this match had neither. It was begging to fall flat, which is a shame because I like both guys and the vignettes/packages for this match were well done.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,822

Post#789 » by Dominator83 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:55 am

Amare_1_Knicks wrote:The Hager/Dustin match at Revolution was pretty average, and while this one was pretty bad/boring, I can give them a break. There’s no way they could’ve delivered in an empty arena match (why were they touting that?), with JR doing solo commentary.

Two of the best parts of dynamite since there have been no fans are 1. Schiavone and Jericho on commentary and 2. The wrestlers at ringside to create some ambience — and this match had neither. It was begging to fall flat, which is a shame because I like both guys and the vignettes/packages for this match were well done.

Yea I'm not digging J.R. solo commentary for any match. If your gonna do that, it's Joey Styles or bust
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,216

Post#790 » by bondom34 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:31 am

LMAO he's gonna keep calling Sammy a fraud Latino every week isn't he.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#791 » by bondom34 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:47 am

And I doubt it ever happens but would love if Sammy turned face and he and Darby became a tag team, they work really well together.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#792 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:44 pm

Okay, I have some thoughts I need to get into after this last episode, let's just say it was an improvement, more videos being played, and this is something I wanted for awhile, so I give them credit, but a bit much on squash matches.

Full thoughts:

- I always said Cody is the biggest face right now and can't see him being heel for the rest of his career, but there are times where he feels sort of heelish in his promos. This was a really neat video, it built the tournament well which was the focus of this week's episode.

- Darby vs. Sammy, okay I get it. They teased Darby vs. Cody before and the growing tension, but I am super pissed they had Darby go over Sammy twice. I am just getting really tired of Sammy losing all these big matches in general. I'm a huge fan of this guy, he needs to win more consistently.... and just got one BIG win for once, ffs.

This was a great match, I was super into it. When Darby had Sammy in a submission hold I was begging for my man not to tap, felt really real, I loved it LOL. Great job working the foot, makes sense given Sammy's move-set, also Sammy did a spot similar to their match at revolution but this time with a ladder used, I really dig Darby too, but Sammy deserved the win and to be the first TNT champ.

- I'm just not into Broken Matt Hardy thus far. The promos just aren't for me, I can handle it for bits and pieces but when he's cutting a full promo with the gimmick, it drags on each time. I liked the split personality/vessel with actual Matt Hardy, can we just get more of that guy? haha

- Jericho-Tony is a complete A+, these guys are the highlights of Dynamite. They just get it, great commentators. They know when to banter, and how to use that banter to put over the stars in the ring. It's a true art, Jericho completely put over this Omega jobber match for me. I really didn't like Kenny taking too much damage but Jericho put it over really well saying Kenny has a tendency to be too nice of a guy, and it's really true to the Omega gimmick sometimes.

- Scorpio Sky video was really good, this is the character stuff that I really enjoy. Videos help with characters, they serve purpose like this one. I've always been really high on him, he's got a main event future anytime he wants imo.

- MJF video was money, what else can you expect from this guy? The hangnail injury from gambling and saying how his absence was a pandemic was a nice touch too.

- Brodie Lee videos have been on point each time. Excited to see him squash Marko next week

- Wardlow squash match too. I like this guy. Would be really intrigued with Wardlow vs. Archer or Brodie Lee, or any 3 of those guys matching up. triple threat perhaps....how awesome would that be?

- Is Film Flam some new TIk-Tok dance? I have no idea what was going on, but Bubbly Bunch made the most out of it, I enjoyed Sammy getting carried away and showing off at the end, lol

- Cassidy vs. Havoc was really solid, I was iffy on Havoc but I like what he provides, and I enjoyed his in-ring style, it's a great change of pace from the flippy do stuff we see all the time, and I like that they use this match to build a feud up. What are they going to do with Kip vs. Colt though?

- Now this is where my major gripe with this week's episode is.... Dustin Rhodes. As soon as the retirement stipulation was brought out, I was pissed. It made it obvious and did nothing for me, and how are they going to put him over Kip? I don't want to hear this "I feel better than ever at 51" to make me believe it, Kip is a future building block, I'm all for Dustin being around as an active wrestler but he has to put over guys like Kip. It's a must.

and then to put off as if Kip is not on his level and that's why he will retire if he loses? Again, I understand what they're doing for the tournament. They want it to be Archer vs. Cody, they want Archer to beat up his brother before the big match. But don't put the retire stipulation on the line as if Kip isn't on your level.

To recap:
Solid matches for most part, enjoyable videos, didn't agree with who went over but I understand why for story line purposes, but also story line could be handled better at same time. I would've rather just had Archer-Goldust in the first round, and Kip-Colt as the other matchup, this gives you Archer beating up Cody's brother and Kip and Colt handling their feud with Kip going over. Kip-Archer would've been super interesting too. Oh well, had a lot to get off my chest lol
Thank you Clutch0z24
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#793 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:55 pm

bondom34 wrote:And I doubt it ever happens but would love if Sammy turned face and he and Darby became a tag team, they work really well together.

And this is another reason why I'm pissed they had Darby go over. This was a feud that could carry on and off for years, trading wins... now why should I care the next time they face each other? They are future stars and as you mentioned work really well together, it's the perfect heel vs. face clash of gimmicks imo too.

Sammy definitely has a future as a face, his vlogs definitely show that side
Thank you Clutch0z24
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,927

Post#794 » by tugs » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:55 am

Question: Was Darby's submission/pinning combo considered a finisher? That has to be the first time someone used that as a finisher. Closest to that would have been the Figure 4 but that goes against the offensive wrestler.

Pretty interesting.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#795 » by The_Brecht » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:56 am

Orange Cassidy matches need a crowd.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#796 » by Spens1 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:58 am

The_Brecht wrote:Orange Cassidy matches need a crowd.

Yeah honestly i'd have Jimmy Havoc or PAC brutalise him and keep him off TV until crowds return.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#797 » by bondom34 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:16 pm

tugs wrote:Question: Was Darby's submission/pinning combo considered a finisher? That has to be the first time someone used that as a finisher. Closest to that would have been the Figure 4 but that goes against the offensive wrestler.

Pretty interesting.

I think he's used it in another match to win as well (he had a squash a few weeks ago iirc).
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,312

Post#798 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:31 am

I missed half of last weeks show, but from what I saw it was decent. The Sammy/Darby match was pretty good, but the pacing was a little all over the place — still, I was entertained though.

I HATED the use of the stipulation in the Dustin/Sabian match (if Dustin loses, he’ll retire). Really? In a first round matchup of this TNT tournament they use that ? Save it for a PPV, in front fans. Save it to build a future star. Save it for an occasion where fans can get invested in the feud and actually believe there’s a chance he’ll lose and retire.

Also, what was up with Kenny Omega having this knockdown, drag-out match with Alan Angels (who??) ? Omega’s being presented as one of AEW’s top stars and I truly don’t think that he’s doing himself, or the company any favors by having these kind of matches with enhancement talent. I believe this was the second week in a row that he’s had this kind of match with a jobber; I just don’t think it’s a good look.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#799 » by bondom34 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:29 am

Cody/Darby was pretty solid until that ending...
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#800 » by JohnPferdelack » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:30 am

B. Baker with a nice spot again.

Return to Pro Wrestling