Re: All Elite Wrestling - Discussion 

Post#862 » by JohnPferdelack » Thu May 28, 2020 12:24 am

New Signings!
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#863 » by tugs » Thu May 28, 2020 8:00 am

When you think Matt can no longer evolve his character work, he transforms to a character that can revert to his other gimmicks

When you think Matt can no longer go high risk, he does a perfect moonsault on top of 3 opponents. You can easily botch that one with a stray leg or knee hitting a head or something.

Watched AEW and NXT highlights and I can't lie to myself anymore that I'm starting to prefer AEW (considering the whole show). AEW is very good in building stories and characters. Can't even believe I'm now invested in effen Jimmy Havoc matches and impressed by Janella.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#864 » by Spens1 » Thu May 28, 2020 11:23 am

Out of all the ufc guys, why did it have to be triple cringe Cejudo, why him :lol: Not to mention Tyson must be on heaps if he's going to actually wrestle. You couldn't just give Punk the packet instead of paying Henry Cejudo (the only one worse may have been if they paid covington). Anyway that ending reminded me of TNA when they brought in Tito Ortiz, I shouldn't be comparing a less than 1 year old company to peak non-hogan era shenanigans. You never go full TNA. In saying that, the beginning of that segment was great.

I want to know what's next for the Elite, they beat the Inner Circle not even at full strength (not even with Hangman and the Bucks reconciled really).

Cody doing the open challenge is good, my worry is that Cody is simply not that good in the ring where he can pull of doing a match every week, people are already kind of sick of him and they can't have dusty finishes every week and Cody wrestling a match normally exposes his weaknesses.

Also not a fan of how Moxley vs Cage (which AEW said that the main title would feel like the world title) is almost a mid card feud atm. Not only has the lack of crowds hurt AEW, now the booking has gone somewhat astray as well. After the Brodie Lee feud (which did underwhelm somewhat) we need a proper world title feud here i'd say.

I loved how they handled FTR though, didn't have them just attack the bucks but didn't have them ally with them, i'd imagine it will be a feud down the line at some point.

I wonder where this all leads though for the Elite, Inner Circle and also people. They had Marty appear on BTE this week so maybe Elite vs Villain Enterprises down the track (Which would be interesting, then of course their is the Flip Gordon factor, with Marty out of the picture, i'd imagine he'd be priority #1 for AEW to land).
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,038

Post#865 » by daoneandonly » Thu May 28, 2020 1:13 pm

Spens1 wrote:Out of all the ufc guys, why did it have to be triple cringe Cejudo, why him :lol: Not to mention Tyson must be on heaps if he's going to actually wrestle. You couldn't just give Punk the packet instead of paying Henry Cejudo (the only one worse may have been if they paid covington). Anyway that ending reminded me of TNA when they brought in Tito Ortiz, I shouldn't be comparing a less than 1 year old company to peak non-hogan era shenanigans. You never go full TNA. In saying that, the beginning of that segment was great.

I want to know what's next for the Elite, they beat the Inner Circle not even at full strength (not even with Hangman and the Bucks reconciled really).

Cody doing the open challenge is good, my worry is that Cody is simply not that good in the ring where he can pull of doing a match every week, people are already kind of sick of him and they can't have dusty finishes every week and Cody wrestling a match normally exposes his weaknesses.

Also not a fan of how Moxley vs Cage (which AEW said that the main title would feel like the world title) is almost a mid card feud atm. Not only has the lack of crowds hurt AEW, now the booking has gone somewhat astray as well. After the Brodie Lee feud (which did underwhelm somewhat) we need a proper world title feud here i'd say.

I loved how they handled FTR though, didn't have them just attack the bucks but didn't have them ally with them, i'd imagine it will be a feud down the line at some point.

I wonder where this all leads though for the Elite, Inner Circle and also people. They had Marty appear on BTE this week so maybe Elite vs Villain Enterprises down the track (Which would be interesting, then of course their is the Flip Gordon factor, with Marty out of the picture, i'd imagine he'd be priority #1 for AEW to land).

I thought last night's episode was great.

I had a feeling Cody would be doing an open challenge approach and that's why they went with him. great idea, who doesnt love the surprise challenger each week, thats an intriguing hook for each episode.

I thought it was both interesting and odd they played on the Jericho/Tyson thing from WWE, but makes for a good story. The only thing I wouldve changed was Tyson's entourage. I would have made it AEW guys instead, like Private party, maybe Billy Gunn since we was there when Tyson had those WWE appearances. I think they run the risk of the crowd turning on the non wrestling guys and cheering the Inner Circle, like we saw with Floyd Mayweather and Big Show years back.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#866 » by Spens1 » Thu May 28, 2020 1:43 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
Spens1 wrote:Out of all the ufc guys, why did it have to be triple cringe Cejudo, why him :lol: Not to mention Tyson must be on heaps if he's going to actually wrestle. You couldn't just give Punk the packet instead of paying Henry Cejudo (the only one worse may have been if they paid covington). Anyway that ending reminded me of TNA when they brought in Tito Ortiz, I shouldn't be comparing a less than 1 year old company to peak non-hogan era shenanigans. You never go full TNA. In saying that, the beginning of that segment was great.

I thought last night's episode was great.

I had a feeling Cody would be doing an open challenge approach and that's why they went with him. great idea, who doesnt love the surprise challenger each week, thats an intriguing hook for each episode.

I thought it was both interesting and odd they played on the Jericho/Tyson thing from WWE, but makes for a good story. The only thing I wouldve changed was Tyson's entourage. I would have made it AEW guys instead, like Private party, maybe Billy Gunn since we was there when Tyson had those WWE appearances. I think they run the risk of the crowd turning on the non wrestling guys and cheering the Inner Circle, like we saw with Floyd Mayweather and Big Show years back.

Good thing they're running it when their are no crowds, you'd have to think Jericho and co win the feud to be honest. I mean it is a pretty good way to build the Inner Circle back up if they are to be a long term thing I think (or they could have someone else take over and have Jericho go part time/turn face pretty easily).

Yeah the idea of Cody doing an open challenge is great cause it makes the TV title more accessible and visible (as it should be, world title should be more exclusive). I low key hope that Archer comes in after maybe a Jungle Boy and Janela defense and wipes the floor with Cody though.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#867 » by tugs » Thu May 28, 2020 1:45 pm

Speaking of Jericho, for weeks I've had Judas on loop as my workout jam. Even the missus is singing along with it, and even caught a last song syndrome
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,294

Post#868 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Thu May 28, 2020 3:20 pm

Man, FTR debuting was exciting. It would’ve been sick if there were fans there. AEW has done a good job obtaining talent in the past 6 months or so: Brodie Lee, Lance Archer/Jake, Matt Hardy, Brian Cage and now FTR.

They’ve rapidly expanded their roster, adding some notable talent.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

All Elite Wrestling - Discussion 

Post#869 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu May 28, 2020 11:37 pm

As someone who loves MMA, I am so happy. They even brought out one of my favourite fighters of all time, Suga Rashad Evans. It was random but I was so hyped.

Also Jake Hager gave me the biggest laugh I’ve had in months, that poem was delivered to perfection.

“I have a particular set of skills, I will find them, find them all, like an unstoppable rebel force, I know where they live and I've seen where they sleep and I swear all you fans will cry when you see what I've done to them”

Other thoughts:
- FTR debut , don’t know anything about them as I didn’t bother with WWE at all, but it seems like everyone is hyping them as a great tag team so I’m on board.

- I like Brian cage, don’t know how I feel with tazz as a manager, he had a few blunders during his promo.

- Baker is awesome, shame about the injury. Wish they brought out Shida in this segment instead of giving her a throwaway match which did nothing. Shida’s English is just fine, would like to see her cut a promo after his title win.

- what happened with Cody? I don’t get it. He was the biggest face in wrestling, his promos continue to be top notch, but for someone who was such a likeable genuine face, it’s becoming the opposite. Looking forward to him vs. Jungle Boy, but Jungle Boy will be continuing to lose big matches.

- battle royal could’ve been booked better. Can we please stop booking Billy Gunn to look like a monster in these things? Every single battle royal with him, I want to see him get beat up by the monsters... but I had no idea he was as tall as Luchasaurus. I hope they give Cutler and Avalon a PPV match, aew even making the jobbers be intriguing, love this.

Fun show. Tyson was way more invested with this appearance than the terrible performance he had at DON.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you Clutch0z24
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#870 » by WRau1 » Fri May 29, 2020 3:09 am

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
- what happened with Cody? I don’t get it. He was the biggest face in wrestling

I must've missed that.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#871 » by The_Brecht » Fri May 29, 2020 6:40 am

The Tyson segment was just stupid.
I did not like it at all.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#872 » by JohnPferdelack » Sun May 31, 2020 10:14 pm

For me it was the first real lowlight of aew since their start on tnt

Sent from my SM-G930F using RealGM mobile app
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#873 » by AirCanadaMouse » Tue Jun 2, 2020 12:03 pm

WRau1 wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:

I must've missed that.

Without a doubt he was during the whole build in that MJF feud, it was to the point where I didn’t see him being a heel for the rest of his career. Things changed really quickly.

Thank you Clutch0z24
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,038

Post#874 » by daoneandonly » Tue Jun 2, 2020 5:44 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
WRau1 wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:

I must've missed that.

Without a doubt he was during the whole build in that MJF feud, it was to the point where I didn’t see him being a heel for the rest of his career. Things changed really quickly.

Yea not sure what's going on, but I'd have to imagine its intentional, theyre too smart for it not to be. Maybe Cody, in true heel form, goes back on his word to not challenge for the AEW title, and screws Jon Moxley out of it at some point. Would make for a controversial story thats for sure.

Though I'd say the person to dethrone Mox is MFJ. Can you imagine the obnoxious crowning ceremony on Dynamite and the reign itself?
WRau1
RealGM

Post#875 » by WRau1 » Tue Jun 2, 2020 11:55 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
WRau1 wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:

I must've missed that.

There was never any point in any timeline where Cody was the biggest face in wrestling. In AEW? Perhaps, but no way in hell was he close to that in all of wrestling.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#876 » by AirCanadaMouse » Wed Jun 3, 2020 12:41 am

WRau1 wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:
WRau1 wrote:
I must've missed that.

There was never any point in any timeline where Cody was the biggest face in wrestling. In AEW? Perhaps, but no way in hell was he close to that in all of wrestling.

I don’t watch wwe at all so forgive me, but even as someone who doesn’t watch, what babyface they had that was unanimously loved? From kids, teenagers, IWC, to adults.

It is so hard to find a babyface that hits all demographics like that and makes it cool for all those demographics to cheer for him. The last person I can recall like that was Rey Mysterio.

Genuinely asking who was a bigger face in wwe than Cody at the time? Roman gets booed, many find Becky tiresome, and every big name star was a part timer, or some sort.

Cody was the biggest face. Every single segment was A+, face of the company, still managed to get sympathy every time .

Look at the promo after the cage match in Atlanta, the 10 lashes segment, that entire feud with MJF...

It worked because MJF is the biggest heel, Cody is their biggest face. That gives you an emotional feud, and with everyone invested and backing Cody, it propels him to being the biggest face in wrestling at the time.

Maybe I’m mixing biggest with best, but even as totally lapsed wwe fan, I didn’t see anyone getting the acknowledgement Cody did at the time. Not even close either.

Thank you Clutch0z24
WRau1
RealGM

Post#877 » by WRau1 » Wed Jun 3, 2020 12:53 am

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
WRau1 wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:Without a doubt he was during the whole build in that MJF feud, it was to the point where I didn’t see him being a heel for the rest of his career. Things changed really quickly.

I don’t watch wwe at all so forgive me, but even as someone who doesn’t watch, what babyface they had that was unanimously loved? From kids, teenagers, IWC, to adults.

It is so hard to find a babyface that hits all demographics like that and makes it cool for all those demographics to cheer for him. The last person I can recall like that was Rey Mysterio.

Genuinely asking who was a bigger face in wwe than Cody at the time? Roman gets booed, many find Becky tiresome, and every big name star was a part timer, or some sort.

Cody was the biggest face. Every single segment was A+, face of the company, still managed to get sympathy every time .

Look at the promo after the cage match in Atlanta, the 10 lashes segment, that entire feud with MJF...

It worked because MJF is the biggest heel, Cody is their biggest face. That gives you an emotional feud, and with everyone invested and backing Cody, it propels him to being the biggest face in wrestling at the time.

Maybe I’m mixing biggest with best, but even as totally lapsed wwe fan, I didn’t see anyone getting the acknowledgement Cody did at the time. Not even close either.

Becky was obviously a bigger face than Cody and probably Ciampa as well since that was his comeback run. Both are also superior (and in Ciampas case, far superior) workers. There are also more companies than the WWE. Okada and Ibushi just came off a hell of a program at that same time. I would even put Naito up there and Juice Robinson. Cody had some great segments but a couple good episodes doesn't make you the BITW.

I'd also argue that Bray Wyatt was the hottest act in the world at that time and his anti-hero schtick coupled with his opponents made Bray a defacto face.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#878 » by AirCanadaMouse » Wed Jun 3, 2020 1:11 am

WRau1 wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:
WRau1 wrote:

Becky was obviously a bigger face than Cody and probably Ciampa as well since that was his comeback run. Both are also superior (and in Ciampas case, far superior) workers. There are also more companies than the WWE. Okada and Ibushi just came off a hell of a program at that same time. I would even put Naito up there and Juice Robinson. Cody had some great segments but a couple good episodes doesn't make you the BITW.

I'd also argue that Bray Wyatt was the hottest act in the world at that time and his anti-hero schtick coupled with his opponents made Bray a defacto face.

Being a better in ring wrestler doesn’t make you the best face, it’s a very small part, you have to work a match getting sympathy. As I said, Becky was not liked by all demographics, not even close. Her “the man” stuff was exhausting for many, even my casual fandom couldn’t handle it... it’s really all opinion.

Ciampa isn’t even close either.

Also this wasn’t such a couple of segments or episodes, it’s an entire build. From the moment AEW was a thing, Cody became the face of the company and with that one of the biggest faces in wrestling.

Becky is on the same level but she is not as loved, I see it online, I hear it in the reactions. There’s a divide. And yes the fiend was very hot at the time, but not a clear face, so that doesn’t work at all. You’re really grasping and reaching for straws,

But what gets me is your comment on “there’s more companies than WWE”, it’s just super snobby. I watch aew, where many of their wrestlers come from New Japan. Gate keeping like you are right now is not a good look. It’s wrestling, and you’re apart of this forum since 2005, you know better. You can give an opposing opinion without coming off like a snob.

Get that **** out of here and come correct if you’d like to continue our talk, if not, let’s agree to disagree because you seem like a really exhausting person, no offence.

Thank you Clutch0z24
WRau1
RealGM

Post#879 » by WRau1 » Wed Jun 3, 2020 1:27 am

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
WRau1 wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:I don’t watch wwe at all so forgive me, but even as someone who doesn’t watch, what babyface they had that was unanimously loved? From kids, teenagers, IWC, to adults.

Being a better in ring wrestler doesn’t make you the best face, it’s a very small part, you have to work a match getting sympathy. As I said, Becky was not liked by all demographics, not even close. Her “the man” stuff was exhausting for many, even my casual fandom couldn’t handle it... it’s really all opinion.

Also this wasn’t such a couple of segments or episodes, it’s an entire build. From the moment AEW was a thing, Cody became the face of the company and with that one of the biggest faces in wrestling.

Becky is on the same level but she is not as loved, I see it online, I hear it in the reactions. There’s a divide. And yes the fiend was very hot at the time, but not a clear face, so that doesn’t work at all. You’re really grasping and reaching for straws,

But what gets me is your comment on “there’s more companies than WWE”, it’s just super snobby. I watch aew, where many of their wrestlers come from New Japan. Gate keeping like you are right now is not a good look. It’s wrestling, and you’re apart of this forum since 2005, you know better. You can give an opposing opinion without coming off like a snob.

Get that **** out of here and come correct if you’d like to continue our talk, if not, let’s agree to disagree because you seem like a really exhausting person, no offence.

And you're just an AEW fanboy, you're not pro wrestling fan.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#880 » by AirCanadaMouse » Wed Jun 3, 2020 1:33 am

WRau1 wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:
WRau1 wrote:

And you're just an AEW fanboy, you're not pro wrestling fan.

Imagine being on a forum for 15 years where you’re Gate keeping “pro wrestling”. that’s what you choose to be snobby with? An elitist of pro wrestling... it’s so embarrassing, we definitely need to get you a different gimmick, lol, but hey man ! You got me .
Thank you Clutch0z24

Return to Pro Wrestling