WWE Raw Discussion III

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Re: WWE Raw Discussion III 

Post#81 » by bondom34 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:12 am

They're really gonna main event it at WM.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#82 » by tugs » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:59 am

I'm a fan of the move as well. Becky gets sympathy, Charlotte becomes "The Chosen One" and is better as a heel, aaaand Ronda is in a, "WTF did just Vince say?!" and should transition into a character that won't be shoved down our throats, or she might be out to get pregnant.

I'm thinking Becky will be added via a stipulation match. I win I get added back, I lose I get fired type of thing. Charlotte gets pinned, Becky wins. All characters protected. Then Ronda gets back after giving birth claiming she didn't lose etc.

Although, Charlotte and Becky again, only this time in RAW. Not really sure about that.
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,603

Post#83 » by Butch718 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:39 pm

I really didn't want Charlotte added to the match because I wanted a 1 one 1 feud between Becky and Ronda.

That being said, Charlotte almost always delivers in big matches. I expect it to be a classic. I also don't mind Charlotte being the Corporate chosen one. She's better as a heel anyway.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#84 » by Butch718 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:40 pm

Also, is Ambrose supposed to be a face again? I just found that whole segment between him and Rollins to be odd.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,216

Post#85 » by LLJ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:44 pm

It was always meant to be Charlotte v Ronda first. Becky's match was supposed to be Survivor Series and that would have been it. But Becky's popularity and unresolved match demanded BECKY's inclusion into the Wrestlemania match. Charlotte wasn't the one shoehorned in, in fact in reality it is the other way around.

But Becky adds a babyface/crowd favorite factor it wouldn't have had if it were just Charlotte v Ronda.

In all honesty I feel like this storyline is taking up too much focus away from everyone else on both brands. Everyone is unover outside of Becky now, and that's not really a good thing. Instead, they just double down on the Becky stuff and people outside of that continue to cool off.
bestnamezRtaken
Senior
And1: 349

Post#86 » by bestnamezRtaken » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:59 pm

I honestly think that, if it was just Becky v Ronda as the last match of WM, it likely would disappoint. Adding Charlotte to the match pretty much guarantees the match will be amazing. Neither Becky nor Ronda are great at leading matches, Becky obviously better but they don't compare to Charlotte. She makes this match and this feud better. I don't care if she's shoved down people's throat, she's too good!
Kobe Bryant was asked who he feels is the toughest opponent to guard in the NBA. Instead of picking OKC's Kevin Durant, Bryant went with Portland’s Brandon Roy.

"Roy 365 days, seven days a week. Roy has no weaknesses in his game."
LLJ
RealGM

Post#87 » by LLJ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:38 pm

Ironically, it is actually Becky who is starting to be shoved down people's throats the past 2 months. How many Becky segments were there last night? It seems like it's increasing week by week. I know she's over, but goddamn.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#88 » by Butch718 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:44 pm

LLJ wrote:Ironically, it is actually Becky who is starting to be shoved down people's throats the past 2 months. How many Becky segments were there last night? It seems like it's increasing week by week. I know she's over, but goddamn.

That's what is supposed to happen when certain talent is over with the crowds.

At least they aren't forcing someone that the crowd doesn't want to root for. Becky's popularity was achieved organically. So having her in more segments is okay with me.

We as fans can't have it both ways either. You can't complain that the most over star being in too many segments, but then complain about popular stars that aren't getting enough air time.

I also don't buy into this argument that neither Becky or Ronda can carry that match by themselves. This feud didn't need Charlotte. Nor did they need Charlotte to deliver in the main event. That being said, I expect all 3 to deliver a classic match.
LLJ
RealGM

Post#89 » by LLJ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:53 pm

Butch718 wrote:
LLJ wrote:Ironically, it is actually Becky who is starting to be shoved down people's throats the past 2 months. How many Becky segments were there last night? It seems like it's increasing week by week. I know she's over, but goddamn.

That's what is supposed to happen when certain talent is over with the crowds.

At least they aren't forcing someone that the crowd doesn't want to root for. Becky's popularity was achieved organically. So having her in more segments is okay with me.

We as fans can't have it both ways either. You can't complain that the most over star being in too many segments, but then complain about popular stars that aren't getting enough air time.

I also don't buy into this argument that neither Becky or Ronda can carry that match by themselves. This feud didn't need Charlotte. Nor did they need Charlotte to deliver in the main event. That being said, I expect all 3 to deliver a classic match.

I think the argument is that some of the other roster needs more building up and spending all this time on one person is detrimental to the rest of the roster. It's less that the person "doesn't deserve it" and more that "Everyone but Becky isn't over because you spent all this time building Becky than anyone else."
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#90 » by Stanford » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:54 pm

I'm curious: what's the difference between giving someone a main event push and shoving them down our throats?
LLJ
RealGM

Post#91 » by LLJ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:22 pm

If you look at RAW last year, they had, at this point in time, 4 to 5 storylines going on for key roster people heading into Mania. It wasn't ALL Roman and Brock. In fact Roman usually only had 1-2 segments per week going into Mania last year.

Now, this year. Can anyone see any other storylines for ANYONE other than Seth and Becky, Ronda, Charlotte who are all in the same match? (apparently). I have no idea what Finn could be doing at Mania, or Braun, or Drew, or any of the other women on RAW.

This is my problem with how it is being handled lately. Granted, it's still early. But nobody on the program seems to have any momentum, booking or crowd-wise, other than Becky. And that's the result of most people not having much direction or being booked in any way relevant. The majority of the RAW roster is just there to feed to either Brock or Ronda it seems.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#92 » by improper » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:25 pm

Stanford wrote:I'm curious: what's the difference between giving someone a main event push and shoving them down our throats?

Basically if the fans like the person being pushed or not.

Roman Reigns was shoved down our throats. We didn't want him in the main event, but they kept trying to push him there and the crowd revolted numerous times.

As for Becky, it's hard to blame WWE for utilizing her a lot considering she's the only person on Raw anyone gives a crap about, and she's technically not even on the Raw roster.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#93 » by Butch718 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:29 pm

Honestly, they should just have a rematch with Asuka and Charlotte, with Asuka making her tap this time around.
LLJ
RealGM

Post#94 » by LLJ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:15 pm

Butch718 wrote:Honestly, they should just have a rematch with Asuka and Charlotte, with Asuka making her tap this time around.

I'm convinced they are not doing this match because they don't want Charlotte losing to Asuka at Mania. And vice versa.

I had a feeling last month they aren't doing this match because they haven't protected the match whatsoever. They have been wrestling each other for the past 3 months on house shows, every single weekend.

They likely wouldn't do that if they ever planned a mania rematch between them.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#95 » by Spens1 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:15 pm

I still hate it, i saw it coming but i hate it because they insist on never doing straight forward 1 on 1 matches. Also i'm beyond sick of Charlotte in the main event constantly. She's the female Roman. It also leaves Asuka without anything, she hasn't featured on smackdown despite having a submission win over Lynch. With Ember Moon out, they almost have to build up Banks and send her to smackdown to challenge (at least they have time to do that, but they best start doing that NOW).

WWE clearly hasn't heard of the expression 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' because they've never applied the principle to any of their main eventers.

And then they made that stupid after raw segment canon. WWE killed their best organic womans program in years, congrats, can't say i'm surprised because everything this company touches turns to **** eventually.

The formula was simple, have Ronda be an arrogant heel (a role she was doing great with) and have Becky Lynch be the babyface.

The worst thing is, outside of this, is there any storylines at all that are worth a damn on the raw side of things. This company has 1 babyface that is hot right now.

They better have something good prepared for the road to mania now because they've done nothing so far that fills me with any confidence.

Also, i'm glad the Revival won, i really am, but what is the point of putting the titles on a duo, who we openly know have asked for their release :lol: maybe if you had actually done this before they asked for their release, maybe, just maybe they would be willing to stay.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#96 » by Spens1 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:17 pm

I agree but who else does raw have, every other face is just cold. They have basically no other face that is remotely over anymore (they killed Rollins, they killed Strowman, Balor's mini push could be up already).
LLJ
RealGM

Post#97 » by LLJ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:19 pm

Spens1 wrote:

I agree but who else does raw have, every other face is just cold. They have basically no other face that is remotely over anymore (they killed Rollins, they killed Strowman, Balor's mini push could be up already).

Well there's the catch 22 I was talking about. The more they focus on Becky at the expense of everyone else, the colder everyone else gets. At the same time, Becky is so over they have to feature her prominently.

I just think they could balance it better. They don't have to make everyone else feel so unimportant; it just makes them even less over.

People don't get over out of thin air. And Becky isn't over for no reason either. They give her multiple segments which either helps her get more over or stay over.

Well that applies to everyone else too. If other people were given interesting things to do like Becky has, they might be more over at this point than they are. Instead, the WWE has all but said "Focus on Becky only, she is the only important thing right now." Then people blame everyone else for not being as over when they aren't being treated as relevant.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,866

Post#98 » by Stanford » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:23 pm

I think it's totally reasonable to open the show with the top star in the company, feature them in very small segments throughout the show and then end the show with them once every 3 or 4 weeks.

I don't think it has to be at the expense of everyone else. The problem is their midcard storylines and has been for over a decade.
Spens1
RealGM

Post#99 » by Spens1 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:33 pm

Stanford wrote:I think it's totally reasonable to open the show with the top star in the company, feature them in very small segments throughout the show and then end the show with them once every 3 or 4 weeks.

I don't think it has to be at the expense of everyone else. The problem is their midcard storylines and has been for over a decade.

This, they actually need to build up mid card storylines of some sort. They have the IC and US titles but they're almost completely ignored for the most part (unless the Universal Champ is missing of course).

With the roster they have, they can build a strong mid card, a very strong mid card.

WCW in a way got it right, the foundation to a good show starts at the midcard. Of course if you have a bad main event it means nought, but you build said main event through the mid card regardless.

Also for mania, you can't have 1 and a half angles for mania at this stage, you need way more legit angles. Especially when the one segment went 40 freaking minutes (luckily i wasn't watching that intently otherwise i would have changed the channel).
LLJ
RealGM

Post#100 » by LLJ » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:00 pm

I think you could get away with what they are doing with Becky (numerous segments per episode) if it's a true ratings draw or legitimately over star in terms of crowd reaction, pop culture influence, etc,. You could do it with Austin. You could do it with The Rock, or even Cena.

With Becky, they are almost setting her up to fail here. If ratings continue to plunge on the road to Wrestlemania (this is the time of the year ratings are supposed to be actually at its highest), it will be Becky taking the blame in the end, not Charlotte or the McMahons or Ronda.

They're bleeding viewers because every wrestler has fans, and all of those fanbases are turned off because their wrestlers are minimized even more than before. It's not that nobody except Becky is popular. It's more that nobody else has been given a reason to be as popular as Becky because the WWE haven't given a **** about most of the roster the past few months. That's why we have an unover roster.

Return to Pro Wrestling